The grumpy thread

outlaw118

The BMW bike is nearly done the way I'm happy with, just a few cosmetics to finish. Last big job was a lock set,  someone had fitted a Chinese ignition lock which worked but didn't really fit, and no steering lock. The tank cap was OK but the seat lock had been drilled out. Got a lock set from Ebay which I fitted ,after a lot of dismantling again and all was fine for a few days... until I lost the bloody key

Locks drilled out, more £££ spent on more locks. As soon as they arrive its straight to the locksmith for a few spares! 

13 hours ago, loserone said:

Seven percent? You'll barely notice it.  Given the commitment and length of time you've been there, I'd be arguing for 50-60%. 

That's at least what you're looking for to move, no?

That'd be nice, but I'd settle for 25% if I were moving locally.  Would need to be 50-60% (or more) if I were going to That London mind.

FFS.  I was supposed to be taking an exam this afternoon (a Belgian qualification which I need to work on EU business post-Brexit).  Got everything set up, showed my passport to the webcam to prove my ID, and they wouldn't accept it as it's expired.  I pointed out to them that I wasn't trying to travel abroad, just to prove who I am, and my identity doesn't change or cease to be just because my passport has expired, but they didn't want to hear it - rules are rules and the ID document has to be in date, which is not a hugely surprising response given that Belgians are not generally noted for their pragmatism, but it is immensely frustrating as I now have to wait until I can get a replacement photocard driving licence from DVLA before I can rebook the exam, which means that the revision I've done, and all the setup to be able to sit the exam at home, will all go to waste.

51 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

.... Belgians are not generally noted for their pragmatism....

No, but they did previously hold the record for the longest period spent without a government in place, something like 548 days. The country continued to function without any notable disasters, which sort of suggested that Belgium works despite, rather than because of, its government. 

Indeed.  When you have an army of bureaucrats rigidly sticking to the rules, the administration will continue to function pretty much on its own.  It will be massively frustrating for anyone who has to deal with it, but it will keep the country turning over.

I wonder what would happen in this country if Boris and his clusterfuck of ministers suddenly disappeared overnight and left the job of running the country to the civil service?

Indeed.  When you have an army of bureaucrats rigidly sticking to the rules, the administration will continue to function pretty much on its own.  It will be massively frustrating for anyone who has to deal with it, but it will keep the country turning over.
I wonder what would happen in this country if Boris and his clusterfuck of ministers suddenly disappeared overnight and left the job of running the country to the civil service?
I think you've answered your own question there, wuv

Oh FFS.  Yes it's very much a first world problem but backed myself off anyway.

Just managed to record approximately 30 minutes of video footage without noticing that I'd managed to lock the camera focus - at some totally useless focal length meaning the entire thing was a fuzzy mess.

Guess I'll try again tomorrow if I can summon the energy.

Rx300 Passed it's MOT today with only an advisory for a  deteriorated dust boot on the anti roll bar linkage.

Why the grump?

They wobbed up the exhaust to get it through the test, said it wasn't worth replacing the whole section as it includes the CAT, due to the fact that the rear subframe looks like a cheap weetabix.....

They passed it this year but think it wont pass next years test, which is a bit shit.

New rear subframes are no longer available, 2nd hand are likely to be as bad as mine. Rest of the car is pretty much spot on as well. Once you start googling the problem it's quite commonplace on that generation RX including the hybrids.

Might be worth checking if you own a mid noughties Lexus.

So the Derv Bus is booked in for MOT tomorrow, which meant today was a full on check over (normally do it a good week beforehand, but I'm confident it shouldn't fail on much)

Replaced the chipped headlight with the spare I had, and found a torn C.V boot.

The brand new one I picked up from E.C.P came with the wrong size clips (for the boot and the circlip that sits inside the C.v joint) So had to make do and mend, all good in the end.

The grump - Came in to have a bath, boiler decides 'No mate, I ain't playing ball'  , now I had this when I bought the house, but managed to mend it. Yes I've been meaning to have it replaced since, BUT I've not had the full set of funds to get the lot replaced, instead replacing each radiator in turn and hoping to have the £££ come boiler replacement time, but eer yeah it's looking mighty fucked now when funds are low. Bastard.🙈

19 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

....The grump - Came in to have a bath, boiler decides 'No mate, I ain't playing ball'  , now I had this when I bought the house, but managed to mend it. Yes I've been meaning to have it replaced since, BUT I've not had the full set of funds to get the lot replaced, instead replacing each radiator in turn and hoping to have the £££ come boiler replacement time, but eer yeah it's looking mighty fucked now when funds are low. Bastard.🙈

To be fair, it came down to a straight choice between the boiler or the Rover P4.

The Rover won.

On 9/13/2021 at 11:36 PM, loserone said:

Seven percent? You'll barely notice it.  Given the commitment and length of time you've been there, I'd be arguing for 50-60%. 

That's at least what you're looking for to move, no?

Wish i could get a 7% pay rise - recently we (as employees) were told were all to get a 6% pay rise since last year we got none - (3% for last year and 3% for this year) recently i noticed that for some reason my hourly rate had not went up - approched a "manager" about it and his reply was basically "you get too much money as it is so you will not be getting it" bearing in mind he wouldn't respond when i asked what my 'official' job title was (my payslip and contract say parts advisor - despite me doing the role of a parts manager!) - in other words i was bullshitted so they can continue to get a managers job done for the price of a advisor! 

And this from a large (no names!) scottish car company which is currently very understaffed and cannot seem to fill ANY job roles as they have such a bad rap - needless to say i am currently on lookout for something else...

I have lived here for approximately seven and a half (horrible) years now.

How the bloody hell am I STILL managing to get lost on a regular basis?!?  I know it takes me forever to learn my way around but this is ridiculous.

I think the fact that 89% of the landmarks look exactly like each other probably doesn't help...

11 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I have lived here for approximately seven and a half (horrible) years now.

How the bloody hell am I STILL managing to get lost on a regular basis?!?  I know it takes me forever to learn my way around but this is ridiculous.

I think the fact that 89% of the landmarks look exactly like each other probably doesn't help...

Is that not the whole ethos of MK, though? I always had terrible trouble finding the centre of it.

Pay attention when in a pub in Marlow 

Got 2 drinks for us , contactless 

My wife got the next round , a pint of peroni and a large pinot 

£16.55 

Fuck off that can't be right, checks online banking £16.55,  fuck me 

We are opposite The Ivy though 

Why are people unable to grasp the very simple concept that standing 0.000002mm behind me in the queue virtually shoving me forward will have absolutely no effect on the speed the six people in front of me are served at?

That's three people today I've had to ask to please give me some room, and would have done even before the pandemic.

Two of which took a quarter of a step back, the third told me to **** off.

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Why are people unable to grasp the very simple concept that standing 0.000002mm behind me in the queue virtually shoving me forward will have absolutely no effect on the speed the six people in front of me are served at?

That's three people today I've had to ask to please give me some room, and would have done even before the pandemic.

Two of which took a quarter of a step back, the third told me to **** off.

That's probably how they drive through roadworks too,  right up your arse even though you're doing 50mph and there are 20 cars and trucks in front of you 

Since buying a smart car I've noticed many more drivers right up my arse , funnily enough I drive the same in the touareg but don't get tailgated at all