The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Aargh! 
The Pontiac’s tax was up this month. I wrongly assumed that the direct debit carried over. So last night I went to do the website direct debit. It said there was an error and I should phone the phone line. Normally you get an email confirmation if it’s gone through. I hadn’t had one. So today I phoned and got told that all the operators are busy and phone back later. So I did, and same message. Use the web chat it says. On that service also all advisors are busy try again later. Not wanting to leave it untaxed I phone the automated line and tax it for 6 months. About half an hour later I get an email with the confirmation of the direct debit! Phoned multiple times and tried the web chat from when that happened to when the lines closed and they are always too busy to take my call! Grrrrrrr…..

Remember the days when pretty much all lorry drivers were knights of the road??

I get that its a shit job, stressful and all that, but so is being a nurse and they don't  drive many tons of metal 6 inches from your bumper on a two lane road , bullying you along until you are scared for your life.

Phill Preece haulage of Hereford needs to have a word with  the driver of  PE70 PRE  , on the A44 4th Sep  at 09.30 heading towards Leominster near Docklow.  This  driver needs help before he kills someone. The film is winging its way to H.M. Constabulary  because  I have now witnessed this loony 4 times and been his target twice, all on film and all while I was  doing the posted limit.   His yesterdays vital emergency destination?  Getting some fuel.....

Does anyone know where Phill Preece haulage operate from??

They keep a very low profile .

Meanwhile, a big personal thankyou to all those HGV drivers who prioritise other road users safety . Sincerely Thankyou.

1 hour ago, Chas4545 said:

I get that its a shit job, stressful and all that, but so is being a nurse and they don't  drive many tons of metal 6 inches from your bumper on a two lane road , bullying you along until you are scared for your life.

Phill Preece haulage of Hereford needs to have a word with  the driver of  PE70 PRE  , on the A44 4th Sep  at 09.30 heading towards Leominster near Docklow.  This  driver needs help before he kills someone. The film is winging its way to H.M. Constabulary  because  I have now witnessed this loony 4 times and been his target twice, all on film and all while I was  doing the posted limit.   His yesterdays vital emergency destination?  Getting some fuel.....

Meanwhile, a big personal thankyou to all those HGV drivers who prioritise other road users safety . Sincerely Thankyou.

https://directory.independent.co.uk/company/phil-preece-transport/3578056

3 hours ago, Chas4545 said:

You ain't seen nothing yet, give it 6 months.

Given the massive shortfall of HGV drivers just now the DSA are under pressure to issue new licences ASAP, and when these newly qualified drivers hit the roads they'll have come straight from their ALDI A3s to 44 ton Volvos with all the long hours and shit conditions motivating* them to be safe, courteous and sensible drivers.

On 9/3/2021 at 3:50 PM, Fumbler said:

Height control lever linkage on the BX has broken somewhere. Now the front is sitting on the ground and the rear is sitting at normal height.

Anyone want a funky operating BX?

I think they can become detached in the middle basically where the lever is, but underneath the car. Doesn’t help getting to it!

6 hours ago, sierraman said:

There’s not a lot to attract people to lorry driving let’s be right. If you want the good money then it’s tramping, saving the £25 a night by living in a lay-by, shitting in the bushes with one eye open for some nasty men stealing your diesel. 

There's not a lot of choice about the shitting in bushes as unlike the continent the UK has far too few secure truck stops, where they do exist the charges are often unreasonably high and the facilities can make pigsties look good.

The fool Smith may get his way by the look of this; selfish berk.

Bluebird may be dismantled.

5 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I think they can become detached in the middle basically where the lever is, but underneath the car. Doesn’t help getting to it!

5 hours ago, dean36014 said:

Normally a good session of citrorobics  sorts the suspension out assuming all the levers are still connected.

I had the foresight to record underneath with my phone while I operated the levers. It wasn't the middle linkage that's at fault, it's something upfront. It's still in "drag" position after being moved over the road!

On 8/31/2021 at 9:27 AM, Split_Pin said:

We had our shower room renovated last July as the guy that did it in 2016 was a cack handed fool and didn't fit anything correctly. As such the shower tray leaked into the living room below. The whole floor had to be replaced as well as everything else as it was falling apart.

Fast forward to last week and we smelled damp and there were a noticeable amount of tiny flies. My wife lifted the lino and:

IMG-20210816-WA0000.thumb.jpg.90a4c49bdfb67fa0b6804d6d2fc0a450.jpgIMG-20210816-WA0001.thumb.jpg.f58d88f43e61ea8bcad71055a4849ee5.jpg

Although the shower door doesn't fit the best, water has always stayed inside. What has failed here is the seal around the frame. It was only sealed from the outside, not on the inside as well. Where you can see the little right angle there is a black line, water has been seeping out there and under the lino for quite some time. The floor is rotten and will all need to be replaced again. Lino went straight in the bin.

The guy that fitted it all blamed shampoo and shower gel for degrading the sealant and isn't interested in fixing it, even although I have offered him money.

I'm not sure what it's like everywhere else but tradesmen where I am are incredibly busy right now and as such they seem to think they can either charge an absolute fortune or just aren't interested.

With the shite that happened with our garden earlier in the year, the Mini borking up and having to be sold and me getting diddled with the Civic, its all getting me rather down in the dumps. 

Just been uploaded. Tips on how to tackle the resealing.

2 L of Tesco oi; has gone back up to 13 squids from 6.5 spondolies .

thankfully I bought a few beforehand ...

and still on the hunt for the dam water hammer in our house , nothing is loose , just had the washing machine out and checked behind that .

all pipes seem secure , but the bog still makes them bang when the ballcock closes ...

but not every time !!! 

might just fit another ballcock , one that drips and drips till its full , it can keep me company in the morning when I go ..

3 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Just been uploaded. Tips on how to tackle the resealing.

Same here sadly...You just cannot get tradesmen in around here for love nor money unless it's a dead simple in-and-out job they can just charge a fixed (most likely vastly inflated) price for to throw something straight out of a box from B&Q in and move on to the next one.

I have never in my life been anywhere that it seems to be so hard to give people my money as the Midlands.

The only one we've had any joy with was the mob we had in to deal with the bamboo infestation in the back garden...though they were a commercial lot who generally don't deal with the general public and I think we only really got them to play ball because most businesses premises were closed due to lockdown 1.0 when we had them in.  Cost us nearly eight grand mind you and left the back garden looking like a brownfield industrial site, but at least they arrived when they said they would, did the job they said they would and have actually followed up as they said they would.

Have I been able to get anyone in to service the boiler since we moved in here in 2014?  Nope.  I just gave up when we got into double digits failing to turn up to appointments.  When it eventually dies I imagine we're going to be utterly screwed as I bloody well can't fit a new one myself.

Have I been able to get anyone in to sort the conservatory roof?  Nope.  We did actually nearly get there with someone from on here, however then Covid happened instead and that went out the window.

Could I get anyone in to sort the shower (knackered valve) in the en suite?  Nope.  After nearly a year of kicking people for quotes we eventually got one guy to say that it was impossible to change just the parts in question, but they'd "do us a favour" and change the whole valve body for a grand...but we'd need to get someone else in to redo the tiling they would need to smash out.  I eventually sorted it for about £100 of parts and an hour of time.  Had to use an online parts finder though as none of the wholesalers would even *try* to ID the parts for us.

Can we get anyone in to sort the driveway and brownfield site that used to be the back garden?  Nope.  Had one guy turn up out of probably 50 requests for quotes sent out...They turned up, looked around for two minutes, sucked air through their teeth (WHY do they all do that?!?) and gave us the "It's a big job mate..." spiel - no shit Sherlock, that's why I'm looking for quotes to get it done...Then told us that for the budget we had in mind (which they wouldn't give us any information before we told them) that they could sort one bit of path that we hadn't even mentioned to them and half the driveway, not even touching anything we'd stated up front were our priorities.

Has just helped cement our decision as a family that we have zero interest in staying in this area long term and want to move north.

...Unfortunately before we can do that we'd need to get the house into a saleable state.  Which means we need to get all of the above issues sorted!  Ugh...

9 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Why the fuck did I book the tip at 0930 on a fucking Sunday?  Thank you past me, now I  have to get up...

Well on the plus side, at least you didn't do what I did a few weeks ago and book an appointment first thing in the morning on a day when the tip wasn't even open.  Also...Thank you Milton Keynes Council for having such a wonderfully well coded website that it lets you do that.  Ten out of ten for attention to detail.

Just now, GrumpiusMaximus said:

@Zelandeth Yeah.  Half-emptying the shed, used engine oil, garden clippings and numerous boxes, shoving it in the car and then driving back with it to unload it again might have resulted in some kind of psychotic episode...

would not be the first time my car has been driven around with a pile of shit in it for a few days , ment to drop it off on the way to work but there was a F in big Q for the tip , car parked up for a few days at work to simmer in the sun , drop it off on the way home ,,  gag gag gag

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

2 L of Tesco oi; has gone back up to 13 squids from 6.5 spondolies .

thankfully I bought a few beforehand ...

and still on the hunt for the dam water hammer in our house , nothing is loose , just had the washing machine out and checked behind that .

all pipes seem secure , but the bog still makes them bang when the ballcock closes ...

but not every time !!! 

might just fit another ballcock , one that drips and drips till its full , it can keep me company in the morning when I go ..

Think you have found your problem 😃

Worn washers in taps and float valves can cause all kind of hammer problems, could be as simple as a washer but a new valve is not a bad call.

On 9/4/2021 at 10:14 AM, Chas4545 said:

I wonder if it’s the same complete moron that was driving a lorry on Saturday Morning through the Northampton section of the M1 - 50mph limit section. 
Watched the person drive inches in their (non articulated) lorry behind two separate vehicles in lane 2 - then overtake and swerve deliberately and aggressively into the side of the vehicle forcing them into the another lane.  It was a most deliberate act, and I watched it happen first in my mirrors from lane 1 and then again, infront of me.

hah! My Dashcam footage off to the old bill, for them to decide what to do ( I believe  this idiot needs their licence removing).  no matter how frustrated they may be with middle lane Hoggers…using a heavy goods vehicle to drive into someone deliberately…is bloody outrageous.

Except my sodding dashcam has died and recorded only odd bits of the journey.   <ARGHHHHHhH!>. That’s what this grump is actually about!

don't even know if i should be this fuming

but let me tell you, i'm fuming

so theres this lad at work, somehow a shift manager (despite being a proper chav, really dodgy and a downright prick as well as unreliable)

he told me at 7pm on friday night he forgot his keys to the shop so he would pop home to get them

not happy about that

closed the shop as there has to be at least 2 of us

people properly kicking off

ended up standing outside and talking to the customers about this situation

oh he was over an hour too

and then he was a cocky little shit when he got back

oh i'm pissed let me tell you

very very likely to hand in my notice very shortly

4 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I wonder if it’s the same complete moron that was driving a lorry on Saturday Morning through the Northampton section of the M1 - 50mph limit section. 
Watched the person drive inches in their (non articulated) lorry behind two separate vehicles in lane 2 - then overtake and swerve deliberately and aggressively into the side of the vehicle forcing them into the another lane.  It was a most deliberate act, and I watched it happen first in my mirrors from lane 1 and then again, infront of me.

hah! My Dashcam footage off to the old bill, for them to decide what to do ( I believe  this idiot needs their licence removing).  no matter how frustrated they may be with middle lane Hoggers…using a heavy goods vehicle to drive into someone deliberately…is bloody outrageous.

Except my sodding dashcam has died and recorded only odd bits of the journey.   <ARGHHHHHhH!>. That’s what this grump is actually about!

Had someone like this a few months back, I was in lane 1 doing 50 through roadworks in a 50mph average speed limit stretch.  Traffic was pretty quiet and there was no width restrictions on lane 2, so there was nothing to stop him just overtaking.

He spent a good ten minutes sitting inches off my dear bumper, then when that didn't work started flashing his headlights at me.  Then left them (and all the spotlights) on main beam and then spent the next five minutes leaning on the horn.

Eventually he actually moved out and overtook me - nearly running me off the road when he pulled back in.

About 300 yards from the end of the roadworks and the 50mph stretch.

No I'm not proud of it, but yes, he did get the finger out the sunroof when I overtook him again at that point.

Eddie Stobart wagon, so I'd assume there was onboard video.  Yes I did report it to them, sadly nothing to send to the bill as the car doesn't have a dash cam fitted yet...though wouldn't show much anyway as 99% of the nonsense was behind me.

The problem with hgv tailgating has a lot to do with the speedo.

A car reading 50mph is doing about 47mph in general. The hgv is showing 50mph and actually doing that.

Some hgv driver's are proper pricks unfortunately. I'm class 1 myself and don't get involved in that nonsense. I've really no idea why some are literally 2ft from a bumper.

It puts us all in a bad light and so does elephant racing and all the other stuff some do.

As for Stobart, they aren't the best in the industry(understatement) despite what the TV shows may want you to believe.

9 minutes ago, Agila said:

The problem with hgv tailgating has a lot to do with the speedo.

A car reading 50mph is doing about 47mph in general. The hgv is showing 50mph and actually doing that.

Some hgv driver's are proper pricks unfortunately. I'm class 1 myself and don't get involved in that nonsense. I've really no idea why some are literally 2ft from a bumper.

It puts us all in a bad light and so does elephant racing and all the other stuff some do.

As for Stobart, they aren't the best in the industry(understatement) despite what the TV shows may want you to believe.

That makes a lot of sense.I drive a van & spend a lot of time on motorways.I see HGVs on the back of cars quite a lot & it looks quite scary.But then I think to myself "why would you drive your car at 55 mph on the motorway,why not just stick to b roads?"

My pet hate at the moment is people in cars who slow down for their motorway exit as soon as the 1 mile markers come up,making everyone else slow down for no reason.It's not like you have to make a sharp turn to come off the motorway is it?