The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 9/1/2021 at 5:11 PM, vulgalour said:

Wow, I'm getting fed up of trying to order this vinyl dye.  The first lot I ordered arrived eventually, low stock, even though the order went through fine when placed. I was happy to wait for it to come in because, well, everything is crappy right now and I cut folks some slack.  The colour turned out to be wrong (my mistake there, not the company) but they didn't have the colour I wanted in stock so I couldn't order from them again.  Picked another company, placed order, three days after it was due to arrive there was no sign of it so dropped them a line and it had got lost in post.  They also couldn't fulfill a replacement order as they had none in stock.  Refund again.  Found another company today, placed order, got a refund for 80% of it because they didn't have the stock that was listed.

I guess I'm just going to have to go through as many suppliers as I can find for this particular colour and keep ordering until I get enough.  What a chore.  I can go a more expensive route with custom dye but I like this product and have had good results from it so I'm happy to stick with it, just finding a reliable supplier is proving challenging.

Found another company, ordered what they had in stock, order cancelled; "out of stock".  I also refuse to order from the company charging at least twice the market value for what they have in stock*, I'll just wait for things to right themselves and supply to meet my demand.  I know there's been shortages in the US with various chemicals and plastics, particularly in Texas where a lot of it comes from, and things haven't settled back there yet.  This is an American product so it's entirely probable that's the issue with the supply chain.  Still, it would be nice if people actually kept their stock listings up to date.

19 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

The manufacturer has expended blood, sweat and millions of pounds to perfect a coating system that prevents the moist UK climate dissolving cars within the guarantee period, drilling holes in it willy nilly is a bit daft.

Pretty sure most cars made in the last 21 years have plastic bumpers which carry the no plates so you ain’t gonna see much corrosion there 

20 hours ago, High Jetter said:

They're both built of bricks, agreed. Differing colours, styles and design of house, but both bricks. Tried the back door of the Big House?

PS. Our Hermes lady is fantastic, always puts things in our 'safe place' if we're out / CBA to answer

A policeman dropped it off earlier (our tax revenue hard at work!). No idea where it was left though.

In other grumps I had a booked eye test today ( first in 20years I think ), as I was having to hold things further away to read and switching from screen to page to write was out of focus.  So yes, I’m getting old and now need reading glasses. Or longer arms! 

30 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

In other grumps I had a booked eye test today ( first in 20years I think ), as I was having to hold things further away to read and switching from screen to page to write was out of focus.  So yes, I’m getting old and now need reading glasses. Or longer arms! 

I'm due an eye test and I'm struggling to read print on packets and things, but I'm still grumpy from the last eye test where the young lady doing the test referred to age related deterioration and age related issues at least half a dozen times. 

Cow.

I was 46 at the time. 

28 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

I'm due an eye test and I'm struggling to read print on packets and things, but I'm still grumpy from the last eye test where the young lady doing the test referred to age related deterioration and age related issues at least half a dozen times. 

Cow.

I was 46 at the time. 

There were no comments about age at all from the optometrist. She did all the notes and tests ( both my dad’s mum and grandmother had macular degeneration and eventually blind ). I can read minuscule print twenty feet away, but focusing on close up has become worse this year. The optician later said I’d done better than average  to get to late 40s without help. 

33 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

Cow.

I was 46 at the time. 

I feel the same when Olympic athletes etc are deemed elderly in their early thirties.

3 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Pretty sure most cars made in the last 21 years have plastic bumpers which carry the no plates so you ain’t gonna see much corrosion there 

Most I see carry them on the bootlid, which is metal, but yeah, if it's a plastic bumper I don't really have an issue as long as the holes are hidden. It's unprotected screw holes that lead to massive rust blisters that I have a problem with.

3 hours ago, Timewaster said:

Cow.

I was 46 at the time. 

It's a fact. You're half-way through, on average. Adjustments need to be made, don't fight it. Good sight is so important, just think about it.

4 hours ago, Timewaster said:

Cow.

I was 46 at the time. 

reminds me of when I moved house and had to register at a new doctors surgery - part of the process was a medical examination during which my BMI was calculated and revealed me as being "borderline obese" I am 5'10"ish and was around 13 stone at the time, several stone less than the short arse doctor woman who seemed to be taking pleasure from pronouncing me so ! and she had a 'tache !

Yep...I can vouch for the fact that it's the second dose of the Moderna vaccine that hits you the hardest.  First one made me feel run down and want to sleep for a couple of weeks solid but that was it.  No real symptoms to speak of other than my arm feeling like I'd been punched hard where the injection had been.

This time round we have a truly aggressive headache and generally flu like symptoms, particularly the muscular aches.  I am currently hobbling around like a 90 year old and making strange squeaking noises repeatedly when I forgot and try to move too quickly.

Just leant over to let the dog and definitely realised that was a mistake.

Let's hope this clears sooner than later.  Though it feels like I'm getting worse at the moment rather than better!

Not really surprised by this as I always seem to get my ass handed to me by vaccines.  The flu one usually takes me out of action for the best part of a week.

I start and get worried about the car hobby when it comes to parts. I am after a carburetor intake for VW / Audi 1.6 or 1.8 engines and it was sold millions of cars with these and is almost impossible to find one now. And these should be ordinary cars that are easy to get parts for, so I dare not think about how more unusual cars are.

47 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I start and get worried about the car hobby when it comes to parts. I am after a carburetor intake for VW / Audi 1.6 or 1.8 engines and it was sold millions of cars with these and is almost impossible to find one now. And these should be ordinary cars that are easy to get parts for, so I dare not think about how more unusual cars are.

Is there a part number on the old one?

Aargh! 
The Pontiac’s tax was up this month. I wrongly assumed that the direct debit carried over. So last night I went to do the website direct debit. It said there was an error and I should phone the phone line. Normally you get an email confirmation if it’s gone through. I hadn’t had one. So today I phoned and got told that all the operators are busy and phone back later. So I did, and same message. Use the web chat it says. On that service also all advisors are busy try again later. Not wanting to leave it untaxed I phone the automated line and tax it for 6 months. About half an hour later I get an email with the confirmation of the direct debit! Phoned multiple times and tried the web chat from when that happened to when the lines closed and they are always too busy to take my call! Grrrrrrr…..

Remember the days when pretty much all lorry drivers were knights of the road??

I get that its a shit job, stressful and all that, but so is being a nurse and they don't  drive many tons of metal 6 inches from your bumper on a two lane road , bullying you along until you are scared for your life.

Phill Preece haulage of Hereford needs to have a word with  the driver of  PE70 PRE  , on the A44 4th Sep  at 09.30 heading towards Leominster near Docklow.  This  driver needs help before he kills someone. The film is winging its way to H.M. Constabulary  because  I have now witnessed this loony 4 times and been his target twice, all on film and all while I was  doing the posted limit.   His yesterdays vital emergency destination?  Getting some fuel.....

Does anyone know where Phill Preece haulage operate from??

They keep a very low profile .

Meanwhile, a big personal thankyou to all those HGV drivers who prioritise other road users safety . Sincerely Thankyou.

1 hour ago, Chas4545 said:

Remember the days when pretty much all lorry drivers were knights of the road??

I get that its a shit job, stressful and all that, but so is being a nurse and they don't  drive many tons of metal 6 inches from your bumper on a two lane road , bullying you along until you are scared for your life.

Phill Preece haulage of Hereford needs to have a word with  the driver of  PE70 PRE  , on the A44 4th Sep  at 09.30 heading towards Leominster near Docklow.  This  driver needs help before he kills someone. The film is winging its way to H.M. Constabulary  because  I have now witnessed this loony 4 times and been his target twice, all on film and all while I was  doing the posted limit.   His yesterdays vital emergency destination?  Getting some fuel.....

Does anyone know where Phill Preece haulage operate from??

They keep a very low profile .

Meanwhile, a big personal thankyou to all those HGV drivers who prioritise other road users safety . Sincerely Thankyou.

https://directory.independent.co.uk/company/phil-preece-transport/3578056