The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 8/22/2021 at 10:03 PM, BorniteIdentity said:

I would sell up and see how you feel after six months cold turkey. Only then will you know. It’s not a life sentence; if you want another car then you’ve saved up some pennies. If you don’t then you’ve saved some pennies. 

You can’t lose. If you really mean it, get the car on eBay auction and it’ll all be over soon.

Keep truckin man.

Get it over to Mathewsons or one of the other flesh-and-blood auctions; that really will get it over with pronto and zero need to interact with bellends.

17 hours ago, Mrcento said:

Probably exactly why they want to do it.

2 options.

A) They don't do it and bill for it, knowing the discs were ok all along.

b) They do it knowing extras can be stung into the bill.

KER-CHING.

All the scummy fast fit places do it at MOT's. Especially when they know the car belongs to somebody older.

Had a look at these brakes this morning, Chevrolet specify the discs are originally 12mm and require replacement at 10mm. These were at 11mm so roughly 50% worn, pads look like they’d got thousands left in them. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, perfectly serviceable. No actual scoring, some very minor pitting that you’d get with a car used infrequently. 

Verdict: Robbing bastids

20210829_183917.thumb.jpg.c6e320a55fec1e3857bea07afdec4fdd.jpg

The vectra is making a mess. The two outermost injectors are at fault - they were all removed so the broken rockers could be replaced last Christmas. The car still runs very well but I suspect if I bury my head in the sand things will get worse.

We discussed replacing the vectra with something newer - however I do not like debt and if I spend £5-6 k on a replacement there is no guarantee it will be trouble free.

What is it with owners(renters) of powerful 4x4 cars 

Called into the Chinese , as I walked out I heard this grumbling exhaust , petrol range rover driven by a wanker ,narrow side street with cars parked the whole length either side and this cunt decided to boot it ½ way round the corner 

It squirmed about ,out of its comfort zone  , almost hit a parked car then like he meant to do it he booted it , must've got to 50  between the cars before the bend at the end 

What a twat 

15 hours ago, Bren said:

20210829_183917.thumb.jpg.c6e320a55fec1e3857bea07afdec4fdd.jpg

The vectra is making a mess. The two outermost injectors are at fault - they were all removed so the broken rockers could be replaced last Christmas. The car still runs very well but I suspect if I bury my head in the sand things will get worse.

We discussed replacing the vectra with something newer - however I do not like debt and if I spend £5-6 k on a replacement there is no guarantee it will be trouble free.

£5-6k is that awful ‘in between’ area where it’s old enough to shit itself but it’s still a big enough chunk of money to lose. I’d just fix the injector seals. 

You can do it. Get in the right frame of mind and the tools together and get it done. 

On 8/29/2021 at 3:06 PM, 3VOM said:

MOT today on Golf. Abandoned by tester as he's getting petrol leaking on him. Flippin' H&S. At least he's tipped me off about another issue.

Can't see a leak from the fuel filter despite the car not being moved for hours and running the engine for 5-10 minutes. Yes it's a bit rusty but where is the leak?

We had our shower room renovated last July as the guy that did it in 2016 was a cack handed fool and didn't fit anything correctly. As such the shower tray leaked into the living room below. The whole floor had to be replaced as well as everything else as it was falling apart.

Fast forward to last week and we smelled damp and there were a noticeable amount of tiny flies. My wife lifted the lino and:

IMG-20210816-WA0000.thumb.jpg.90a4c49bdfb67fa0b6804d6d2fc0a450.jpgIMG-20210816-WA0001.thumb.jpg.f58d88f43e61ea8bcad71055a4849ee5.jpg

Although the shower door doesn't fit the best, water has always stayed inside. What has failed here is the seal around the frame. It was only sealed from the outside, not on the inside as well. Where you can see the little right angle there is a black line, water has been seeping out there and under the lino for quite some time. The floor is rotten and will all need to be replaced again. Lino went straight in the bin.

The guy that fitted it all blamed shampoo and shower gel for degrading the sealant and isn't interested in fixing it, even although I have offered him money.

I'm not sure what it's like everywhere else but tradesmen where I am are incredibly busy right now and as such they seem to think they can either charge an absolute fortune or just aren't interested.

With the shite that happened with our garden earlier in the year, the Mini borking up and having to be sold and me getting diddled with the Civic, its all getting me rather down in the dumps. 

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Although the shower door doesn't fit the best, water has always stayed inside. What has failed here is the seal around the frame. It was only sealed from the outside, not on the inside as well.

The guy that fitted it all blamed shampoo and shower gel for degrading the sealant and isn't interested in fixing it, even although I have offered him money.

First part - it varies on the frame, not all need sealing internally and it can cause problems if you do it when it's not needed. However, second part - complete bollox. My bet is the corner, and associated seal, tiling, whatever isn't watertight.

Took the Rover to a local garage for a back box to be fitted (I'd  managed  to get the old one off and grind of the well rusty bolts to find the replacement was for an "S" and a 1/4" larger diameter and wouldnt fit, so I gave up) get there to be told the welder was broken sorry.. cant help.

What I was trying to Grump about was the radio, and specifically the more up-to-date "songs" played thereon.  Jack Savoretti has had an airing this morning: a universally-lauded so-called singer-songwriter who produces nothing but  misery, compounded by the constant impression that he's trying to throw up all over the microphone.  Rag'n'BoneMan is exactly as lauded and exactly as fuck-awful.

I spend more and more of my precious remaining days feeling more and more like the little kid in the story of The Emperor's New Clothes.

Wow, I'm getting fed up of trying to order this vinyl dye.  The first lot I ordered arrived eventually, low stock, even though the order went through fine when placed. I was happy to wait for it to come in because, well, everything is crappy right now and I cut folks some slack.  The colour turned out to be wrong (my mistake there, not the company) but they didn't have the colour I wanted in stock so I couldn't order from them again.  Picked another company, placed order, three days after it was due to arrive there was no sign of it so dropped them a line and it had got lost in post.  They also couldn't fulfill a replacement order as they had none in stock.  Refund again.  Found another company today, placed order, got a refund for 80% of it because they didn't have the stock that was listed.

I guess I'm just going to have to go through as many suppliers as I can find for this particular colour and keep ordering until I get enough.  What a chore.  I can go a more expensive route with custom dye but I like this product and have had good results from it so I'm happy to stick with it, just finding a reliable supplier is proving challenging.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:27 AM, Split_Pin said:

We had our shower room renovated last July as the guy that did it in 2016 was a cack handed fool and didn't fit anything correctly. As such the shower tray leaked into the living room below. The whole floor had to be replaced as well as everything else as it was falling apart.

Fast forward to last week and we smelled damp and there were a noticeable amount of tiny flies. My wife lifted the lino and:

IMG-20210816-WA0000.thumb.jpg.90a4c49bdfb67fa0b6804d6d2fc0a450.jpgIMG-20210816-WA0001.thumb.jpg.f58d88f43e61ea8bcad71055a4849ee5.jpg

Although the shower door doesn't fit the best, water has always stayed inside. What has failed here is the seal around the frame. It was only sealed from the outside, not on the inside as well. Where you can see the little right angle there is a black line, water has been seeping out there and under the lino for quite some time. The floor is rotten and will all need to be replaced again. Lino went straight in the bin.

I'm not sure what it's like everywhere else but tradesmen where I am are incredibly busy right now and as such they seem to think they can either charge an absolute fortune or just aren't interested.

With the shite that happened with our garden earlier in the year, the Mini borking up and having to be sold and me getting diddled with the Civic, its all getting me rather down in the dumps. 

Are you sure it's rotten and not just wet , get a dehumidifier in there for a few days and dry it out

If it just wants re sealing try this , I read nothing but good reviews

https://www.toolstation.com/ct1-sealant-adhesive/p96154?store=W1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=515847200315&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CjwKCAjwybyJBhBwEiwAvz4G75Go6IVZ4iYkrPxp31m3dgc4GJ1HfPp3_Jrfohujf1AKIcfd6_rqtBoCo7sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#full-desc

6 minutes ago, Scrubworks said:

STOP DRILLING FUCKING HOLES IN CARS TO MOUNT NUMBER PLATES. USE BLOODY MOUNTING TAPE. And if you are going to use screws, USE THE HOLES THAT ARE ALREADY FUCKING THERE.

Y tho? It's not always possible to reuse the old holes. You can also fill the old ones up if you wish. Screws are also a rather good mechanical fastener.

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

Y tho? It's not always possible to reuse the old holes. You can also fill the old ones up if you wish. Screws are also a rather good mechanical fastener.

Tape costs £1, is quicker and doesn't require drilling holes in anything. If you wipe all the grime off first, it's more secure too.