The grumpy thread

outlaw118

11 hours ago, anonymous user said:

I'm sure in my Trabant's handbook it was described as a limousine.

I remember that! In the Romanian variant of the user's manual (I've seen one about 25 years ago), and in the German one it's the same thing, limousine!

9 hours ago, Remspoor said:

And what about SWs?

PEUGEOT 407 SW de segunda mano y ocasión | Coches.net

Still a wagon, hence it's a combi

1 hour ago, TataBobu said:

I remember that! In the Romanian variant of the user's manual (I've seen one about 25 years ago), and in the German one it's the same thing, limousine!

The Trabi handbook also describes the front passenger as 'assistant driver'!

1 hour ago, TataBobu said:

That is my point they are not. Officially they are SWs

Not really a grump as such because it's not as stupid as some of the new words people use, but we seem to have a new car-related word in the English language. "FRUNK"

Obviously from the USofA, a  portmanteau of 'front' and 'trunk' used to describe the extra luggage space in an EV where the engine would be if it had one. Never heard the one in the VW 411 described that way but hey...

6 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

Not really a grump as such because it's not as stupid as some of the new words people use, but we seem to have a new car-related word in the English language. "FRUNK"

Obviously from the USofA, a  portmanteau of 'front' and 'trunk' used to describe the extra luggage space in an EV where the engine would be if it had one. Never heard the one in the VW 411 described that way but hey...

A horrid little word much used in the MR2 world to describe the space at the front used for two 25kg bags of sand.
(To make the poxy little thing steer better.)

9 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

UK version = Froot.

Wife’s grandmother came back from test station, passed advise discs pitted/worn. Quote for £280 to replace! It’s done 20k from new, discs had a slight lip but good for a good while more. Don’t know about pads as I haven’t had the wheels off but worse case another set of pads for £15. 

3 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Wife’s grandmother came back from test station, passed advise discs pitted/worn. Quote for £280 to replace! It’s done 20k from new, discs had a slight lip but good for a good while more. Don’t know about pads as I haven’t had the wheels off but worse case another set of pads for £15. 

Let me guess, a fast fit centre?

Typical 'KERCHING' job they'll manufacture.

Only surprise if so, is that they didn't say a couple of tyres were needed too.

15 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Probably worth just spending the £40-£60 on discs and pads and doing them both, discs deteriorate pretty badly with light use these days, much more so than heavy use! I reckon a rusty lip that starts crumbling away kills more discs than wear does. 

9 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

Let me guess, a fast fit centre?

Typical 'KERCHING' job they'll manufacture.

Only surprise if so, is that they didn't say a couple of tyres were needed too.

Of all the jobs though to try and find... those discs are a press fit into the hub, once you’ve pressed the stub off the disc and carrier it’s fucked the bearing up. Couldn’t see that itemised on the bill. That’s be another xxx added on I expect. 

1 minute ago, Kiltox said:

Probably worth just spending the £40-£60 on discs and pads and doing them both, discs deteriorate pretty badly with light use these days, much more so than heavy use! I reckon a rusty lip that starts crumbling away kills more discs than wear does. 

It does 500 miles a year if that, she’s 84 so realistically giving them a clean up will see her driving days out. There’s no scoring on the disc just very very light pitting - probably through lack of use. 

10 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Of all the jobs though to try and find... those discs are a press fit into the hub, once you’ve pressed the stub off the disc and carrier it’s fucked the bearing up. Couldn’t see that itemised on the bill. That’s be another xxx added on I expect. 

Probably exactly why they want to do it.

2 options.

A) They don't do it and bill for it, knowing the discs were ok all along.

b) They do it knowing extras can be stung into the bill.

KER-CHING.

All the scummy fast fit places do it at MOT's. Especially when they know the car belongs to somebody older.

On 8/22/2021 at 10:03 PM, BorniteIdentity said:

I would sell up and see how you feel after six months cold turkey. Only then will you know. It’s not a life sentence; if you want another car then you’ve saved up some pennies. If you don’t then you’ve saved some pennies. 

You can’t lose. If you really mean it, get the car on eBay auction and it’ll all be over soon.

Keep truckin man.

Get it over to Mathewsons or one of the other flesh-and-blood auctions; that really will get it over with pronto and zero need to interact with bellends.

17 hours ago, Mrcento said:

Probably exactly why they want to do it.

2 options.

A) They don't do it and bill for it, knowing the discs were ok all along.

b) They do it knowing extras can be stung into the bill.

KER-CHING.

All the scummy fast fit places do it at MOT's. Especially when they know the car belongs to somebody older.

Had a look at these brakes this morning, Chevrolet specify the discs are originally 12mm and require replacement at 10mm. These were at 11mm so roughly 50% worn, pads look like they’d got thousands left in them. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, perfectly serviceable. No actual scoring, some very minor pitting that you’d get with a car used infrequently. 

Verdict: Robbing bastids