The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Does anyone know the answer to this?

1152389481_Screenshot2021-08-22at09_30_02.png.656400c8e7a462a4d680cda9b4696738.png

I've begun clicking this, & similar links obsessively because they never, ever tell you why you should do the thing with the bag. I've just clicked 'next' about thirty five times for 35 pieces of utter crap advice and still, no sign of the fucking ziploc bag story!

51 minutes ago, barefoot said:

Does anyone know the answer to this?

1152389481_Screenshot2021-08-22at09_30_02.png.656400c8e7a462a4d680cda9b4696738.png

I've begun clicking this, & similar links obsessively because they never, ever tell you why you should do the thing with the bag. I've just clicked 'next' about thirty five times for 35 pieces of utter crap advice and still, no sign of the fucking ziploc bag story!

Is the answer not that they want you to view as many adverts as possible so they get some money?

Click-bait, I think it’s called. 

For some reason the M1 was awful today. Everyone sitting in the outside lane, middle lane moving faster. Been sitting in middle/outside lanes. 

Got stuck in the outside lane behind a black Transporter full of blokes in hivis, after a while I moved to the middle lane as there was more space. They give me a weird look and speed up a bit. Sat back behind them to overtake some people. 

This guy can't hold his speed it turns out. Went to move back into the middle lane as it was clear and this Transporter just swerves to block me, so I correct to the right and they swerve back. Dropped a gear and passed them on the inside to get away then decided to stay in the middle lane. Transporter fucks off up the outside lane, then moves into the middle lane and sits in some dead space and slows down to about 60. I just sit at 70 and obviously catch up, as I'm passing them I notice the drivers window is open -  as I was passing a fucking milk bottle comes out of the window and bounces off my windscreen. Mercifully it was raining and it only made a small splat at the top of the screen which didn't affect me at all, just quickly hit the wipers and it was gone. 

No bloody words. 

I have interest in the Astra.  Fine, it can go, I'm not attached to it although it seems like a pretty nice example.  Not a Grump at this stage.

Someone posted Huggy up on the Dark Wob and former members from here have been volunteering donations "to get Huggy fixed up, properly."  Which kind of misses the point!  He's on ebay to be sold, not to be crowdfunded.  But still not a Grump, even if a point being missed irritates me pretty badly.

And here is the point of all this.  After a lifetime of "dealing with" old cars and investing vast amounts of love and care in them, I've had enough.  I'm very VERY seriously thinking about not replacing either of my cars when they go, reducing the fleet to just MrsR's Motability car.  In so many ways it won't satisfy me but it should relieve a shitload of stress that I really don't need.

I don't like giving up, nobody does.  This is a world I've known since primary school, so over half a century, and I'm thinking about walking away from it.  I can't believe this is happening.

8 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

I have interest in the Astra.  Fine, it can go, I'm not attached to it although it seems like a pretty nice example.  Not a Grump at this stage.

Someone posted Huggy up on the Dark Wob and former members from here have been volunteering donations "to get Huggy fixed up, properly."  Which kind of misses the point!  He's on ebay to be sold, not to be crowdfunded.  But still not a Grump, even if a point being missed irritates me pretty badly.

And here is the point of all this.  After a lifetime of "dealing with" old cars and investing vast amounts of love and care in them, I've had enough.  I'm very VERY seriously thinking about not replacing either of my cars when they go, reducing the fleet to just MrsR's Motability car.  In so many ways it won't satisfy me but it should relieve a shitload of stress that I really don't need.

I don't like giving up, nobody does.  This is a world I've known since primary school, so over half a century, and I'm thinking about walking away from it.  I can't believe this is happening.

I would sell up and see how you feel after six months cold turkey. Only then will you know. It’s not a life sentence; if you want another car then you’ve saved up some pennies. If you don’t then you’ve saved some pennies. 

You can’t lose. If you really mean it, get the car on eBay auction and it’ll all be over soon.

Keep truckin man.

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

For some reason the M1 was awful today. Everyone sitting in the outside lane, middle lane moving faster. Been sitting in middle/outside lanes. 

Got stuck in the outside lane behind a black Transporter full of blokes in hivis, after a while I moved to the middle lane as there was more space. They give me a weird look and speed up a bit. Sat back behind them to overtake some people. 

This guy can't hold his speed it turns out. Went to move back into the middle lane as it was clear and this Transporter just swerves to block me, so I correct to the right and they swerve back. Dropped a gear and passed them on the inside to get away then decided to stay in the middle lane. Transporter fucks off up the outside lane, then moves into the middle lane and sits in some dead space and slows down to about 60. I just sit at 70 and obviously catch up, as I'm passing them I notice the drivers window is open -  as I was passing a fucking milk bottle comes out of the window and bounces off my windscreen. Mercifully it was raining and it only made a small splat at the top of the screen which didn't affect me at all, just quickly hit the wipers and it was gone. 

No bloody words. 

Wouldn't have happened in a suzuki xc90... 

9 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

9 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I would sell up and see how you feel after six months cold turkey. Only then will you know. It’s not a life sentence; if you want another car then you’ve saved up some pennies. If you don’t then you’ve saved some pennies. 

You can’t lose. If you really mean it, get the car on eBay auction and it’ll all be over soon.

Keep truckin man.

Sorry to read this. It will be a wrench.

However, BI's words about getting back into it later, maybe an issue. Prices keep rising could you afford a classic in a few months? Commentating some thoughts, not looking at you posting your financial details on line.😉

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

Sorry to read this. It will be a wrench.

However, BI's words about getting back into it later, maybe an issue. Prices keep rising could you afford a classic in a few months? Commentating some thoughts, not looking at you posting your financial details on line.😉

Thank you.  And yes, you're right, prices are already out of reach.  I've advertised Huggy for significantly more than he cost five years ago, and already somebody on FB (the home of the expert*) has commented how cheap he is!  In reality I know my asking price is a bit ambitious (as so ably pointed out on the Dark Wob by more experts) but if you don't ask, you don't get, right?  I know full-well I'll never be able to afford another, and not just because most of whatever I get will have to cover some debts.  I suppose it's possible I could get myself something like a late-80s Carina or Accord, but finding one that won't need sparkling-at will be a mission.  It would at least serve both roles, bringing my fleet down to two, but at the moment I really don't need the stress.

I know how to fuel inflation, by the way: go out to buy something.  Anything.  The moment I do, prices go through the roof.  To reduce inflation (extremely effectively) I just have to try and sell something, because the moment I do, prices drop through the floor.  And the cellar, then the sewer, then the underground railway, then the coal mine, then the secret nuclear bunker.... you get the idea!

As for my financial details... well there aren't any.  I have no reserves, just debts, and no income to service them.  At least I don't owe anyone for the house.  I have applied for PIP but naturally that takes time... so much time!

14 hours ago, Ghosty said:

No bloody words. 

There was one of those "Motorway Cops" style programs on a while back and a guy was prosecuted to the MAX for throwing a half empty can of coke at another motorist during a road rage spat.  It's a big deal apparently.

Fuck me, it's dangerous out there!

I've just been into town on my bike.  As usual, I rode at a gentle pace, on less-used side streets.  Mixed blessing!  I noticed a front door on my left was open; two little boys dived out at high speed.  One went round the front of the car parked in front of the house facing me; the other went round the back with no attempt to look if anything was coming.  I had the length of the car to stop (good thing I ride slowly) and as he emerged from behind the car, he looked to his right, saw me, panicked and stopped dead.  Bang in my path!  Bloody good thing I wasn't in a car.

Coming back, on a nearby street there were two other boys playing on a scooter in the middle of the road, with their backs to me of course.  Naturally they veered right into my path with no attempt to look.

Four little kids I would have killed if I'd been driving.  WTF have they got for brains?  These are the people who will be looking after me in 20 years!  I'm seriously scared!

4 hours ago, Lankytim said:

There was one of those "Motorway Cops" style programs on a while back and a guy was prosecuted to the MAX for throwing a half empty can of coke at another motorist during a road rage spat.  It's a big deal apparently.

Anyone who lobs anything at another vehicle will get prosecuted heavily.  I remember an incident many years back when there was a spate of shit being dropped off bridges onto cars on the motorway.  I think a group of late-teenagers all ended up with custodial sentences for causing a fairly nasty smash.  Can't find any details of it now, but I'm sure I recall it.

Last Thursday I ordered a pair of Vredestein tyres for the C2 as N/S/F is slow-punctured and spare is a completely the wrong size chinese winter tyre with no visible date code. 175/65R14 82T. Tyres on the drive who we have used in the past and have been reliable.

Van turns up with 2 185/70 R15 budget Chinese death ring van tyres for a Berlingo. His sheet had Vredestein on it, so the cock up was obviously who loaded the van.

Bumhats.