The grumpy thread

outlaw118

The woman brought some cakes home from work today. Part of this happy clappy you've done well bullshit. Instead of you know, giving people a pay rise.

Anyway, they were just chocolate sponge with a million tonnes of frosting on and the company name printed on some rice paper on the top.

She told me they get sent them every now and again. They cost her company, a big shoe company who aren't as English as the rest of the world think, over £100 for 24. To each store.

One hundred fucking pounds for 24 cakes.

28 minutes ago, iainrcz said:

The woman brought some cakes home from work today. Part of this happy clappy you've done well bullshit. Instead of you know, giving people a pay rise.

Anyway, they were just chocolate sponge with a million tonnes of frosting on and the company name printed on some rice paper on the top.

She told me they get sent them every now and again. They cost her company, a big shoe company who aren't as English as the rest of the world think, over £100 for 24. To each store.

One hundred fucking pounds for 24 cakes.

Or a little over £4 each. 

Woke up to a dripping noise at half 3. No taps dripping. 3:45 full on gushing of water. Overflow from top tank in the loft is pissing out.

Switched the mains off, letting agent emergency line not working - just get the office answerphone with “our opening hours are….” Had to book a day’s holiday to get this sorted.

To make things worse I’ve just noticed a small damp patch on the bedroom ceiling.

The street mains was disconnected yesterday for renewal, and hoping it’s just some chalked up crud stopping the ballcock from raising or closing (we kept water usage to a minimum yesterday).

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Woke up to a dripping noise at half 3. No taps dripping. 3:45 full on gushing of water. Overflow from top tank in the loft is pissing out.

Switched the mains off, letting agent emergency line not working - just get the office answerphone with “our opening hours are….” Had to book a day’s holiday to get this sorted.

To make things worse I’ve just noticed a small damp patch on the bedroom ceiling.

The street mains was disconnected yesterday for renewal, and hoping it’s just some chalked up crud stopping the ballcock from raising or closing (we kept water usage to a minimum yesterday).

I had that a month or so ago (although the fitting to said ball cock had gone) it's a sobering feeling feeling drips on your head as you cross the landing isn't it... 

Sine my episode despite being up there as it flowed waiting for the emergency plumber with a wet vac vacuuming the top of the ceiling the artex has gone a bit wonky. Glad I rent sometimes! 

18 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I had that a month or so ago (although the fitting to said ball cock had gone) it's a sobering feeling feeling drips on your head as you cross the landing isn't it... 

Sine my episode despite being up there as it flowed waiting for the emergency plumber with a wet vac vacuuming the top of the ceiling the artex has gone a bit wonky. Glad I rent sometimes! 

Letting agents lack of enthuseasm for getting a plumber to us is concerning. They've been very good in the past. If it wasn't the loft tank I'd change the float valve myself. As I think we're still on the original 1969/70 tank with 1969/70 float valve and pipework, and a general lack of plumbing tools, and there being no boarding/floor in the loft I'm very reluctant to go up there, as in the tenancy agreement it's out of bounds to us.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:50 AM, Aston Martin said:

Are you a boring bastard?

Do you have an anecdote about meeting Barry Chuckle or did you once chat to the postman of Brian Connelly?

Will you read out the phone book? 

Yes???

Then don't go on bastard popmaster.

"Can I have a quick hello? OK, my wife Maureen, Shiela, Mark and Paul. Tina and Greg, all the lads from The Red Bull darts team.... Alvin, Simon, Theodore. Mark 2, Pauline. If I don't mention Sarah Johnson she'll have me. My mum and dad, my kids Deborah and Terry and their partners John and Malcolm. The two grandkids Greta and Jessica. Everyone I work with at R.LB. Engineering here in Lowestoft... Oh and everyone else who knows me."

Nobody wants to know you, you fucking wank.

It's been 20 odd years, but they've fixed the problem.

I listen to the podcast version and hit 15 second fast forward at a time. You get the 17 minute episode down to about 4 minutes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06q6h18/episodes/player

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Oh FFS...

Screenshot_20210817_140214_com.google.android_gm.thumb.jpg.809ec729041dc4bb23e80b4a957dc24f.jpg

No explanation or anything...just after waiting patiently in the queue for bloody ever that randomly drops into the inbox.  Will see when I can get it rescheduled for later on today.

1 hour ago, Nyphur said:

Is that email definitely genuine? I only ask due to the spelling mistake and poor grammar

This^

I looked at the cancellation E-mail I received when I rescheduled my appointment. My message contains the details of the cancelled appointment as well as the detailed address of the vaccination centre.

The rebooking sentence, link and the bullet points match up with mine, but the bad grammar and spelling put me on edge. I know I can change a hyperlink's website it forwards me to on MS Word, but I've no clue if it can be done when composing an E-mail.

This is the message address I got:
image.png.fb13b7ce8d3b377b7d45c4c2921fe0b2.png

Is yours the same?

4 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

This^

I looked at the cancellation E-mail I received when I rescheduled my appointment. My message contains the details of the cancelled appointment as well as the detailed address of the vaccination centre.

The rebooking sentence, link and the bullet points match up with mine, but the bad grammar and spelling put me on edge. I know I can change a hyperlink's website it forwards me to on MS Word, but I've no clue if it can be done when composing an E-mail.

This is the message address I got:
image.png.fb13b7ce8d3b377b7d45c4c2921fe0b2.png

Is yours the same?

Yep, same sender address, and the link in the email body directs you to the genuine NHS Vaccination service page. 

Went past my local* breakers yesterday. I have not used them for about 20 years since the owner tried to rip me off despite me being his biggest (non commercial) customer at the time but they struggled on without me :-)

Until now. The yard is empty apart from the company transporter and van. New house built opposite where the owners grandparents house was, empty and derelict for about 25 years.

Farewell Mossbank Breakers of Fettercairn. I will not miss them but always sad to see a long established scrapyard disappear.

On 8/15/2021 at 8:19 AM, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Although petty revenge is the best kind of revenge.

I've posted this before

Some years ago I got the train home after not buying a car , got to Crewe and rail replacement home , there was a guy with a clipboard directing passengers to various buses when this woman in front of me laid into him , she looked about 60, solicitor maybe.

I've paid for a first class ticket , I shouldn't have to get on a bus, you've broken the contract , you should provide taxi's for first class passengers

He was nothing but professional, explained it would've been on the website when she booked, they have to do track maintenance etc but she was having none of it

Then very rudely she said ,which bus do I want for Runcorn

He directed her, this bus goes to Runcorn madam, she stomped off and got on

As it pulled off I noticed the illuminated board had about 6 towns on it with the last stop being Runcorn

Next bus pulled in and he starts calling for passengers

Any passengers for Runcorn, Runcorn only on this bus please

I looked at him and started laughing and he gave me a wry smile, she'll never know  but it probably made his day

Supermarkets

In tesco , the kenco coffee refill bag £3.45, the jar £4

I go to pick the bag up then I notice the bag is 150g but the jar is 200g so it looks like you're saving money but you're not, it's actually more expensive

I think they all do this one

A fridge with an offer in it , loads of different products £4 each , 3 for £10 , only one of the products isn't in the offer so when it gets to the till they scan at £4 each

It won't be illegal but they do it knowingly

I have 2 Windows. 

120 cm wide. Standard size. 

I go to b and q and buy two blinds.

One for the landing one for the hall. 

20210818_120559.thumb.jpg.b13e2e181459bc2b23d00de3ddcc2e31.jpg

Check my gap.20210818_120541.thumb.jpg.f373e008a956b56bea4a95631d479588.jpg

Measure 20210818_120447.thumb.jpg.5a0f06358fcb6fdcfcad037e5d0cffd5.jpg

And the blind20210818_120505.thumb.jpg.6c64a86102a979064706c216dd01f4ae.jpg

The window is 120. The blind is 120.5 plus there's 2 brackets about 3 mm thick.

Ballocks. 

20210818_120736.jpg

I trimmed plastic venetian blinds using a jig-saw. I held the slats tightly together using tape. It wasn't too bad, the worst bit being having to pick up all the bits after they had fired themselves everywhere. Tip for next time, do the tape to the ends as well and cut through it.