The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 7/25/2021 at 9:24 PM, Dyslexic Viking said:

Here it is considered normal to let young people destroy cars and behave like idiots. Several car models have been eradicated because of it. I know of great older cars that have been driven to death in quarries or just driven so hard that they are destroyed. Several of my old Volvo are victims of this and dead. So today I was both sad and really angry there has been an older man in the area with a really nice Peugeot 505 estate GTI and I have not seen it for a while until today it now has a young owner and is now completely destroyed. There is not a single body panel that is not based in, the exhaust system is gone and it is driven as it is on a rally stage so it is soon dead. And we've now lost another rare car that should have been taken care of. I can only imagine what the poor old man must be thinking. I hate people.

I was once one of those young people. Back in the mid 70's  I could (and did) buy 40's and 50's cars and motorbikes for practically nothing. These were invariably smashed up racing around my mates farms. No one wanted them, simple as that. 

We had a few Jowett's (absolute heaps at that), E93A's and 100E's. More than a fewTriumphs and BSA's saw their end in our hands. And a nice, hand gear change Rudge too.

Just think of the cheap cars you can buy now-throw away prices most of them, and no one cares. Fast forward 30 years and they will no doubt be considered classics, just because only a few of them exist.

Am I sorry for what I did? Nope, they were end of life vehicles then, rusty, leaking fluids, collapsed interiors, knackered cross plies, etc. Too expensive to fix back then, and there are possibly only a few people, with the desire and money, that would consider restoring any of them now.

2 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I was once one of those young people. Back in the mid 70's  I could (and did) buy 40's and 50's cars and motorbikes for practically nothing. These were invariably smashed up racing around my mates farms. No one wanted them, simple as that. 

We had a few Jowett's (absolute heaps at that), E93A's and 100E's. More than a fewTriumphs and BSA's saw their end in our hands. And a nice, hand gear change Rudge too.

Just think of the cheap cars you can buy now-throw away prices most of them, and no one cares. Fast forward 30 years and they will no doubt be considered classics, just because only a few of them exist.

Am I sorry for what I did? Nope, they were end of life vehicles then, rusty, leaking fluids, collapsed interiors, knackered cross plies, etc. Too expensive to fix back then, and there are possibly only a few people, with the desire and money, that would consider restoring any of them now.

I agree with you when it comes to cars that are currently cheap cars at the end of their lives and that no one wants. But what has happened a lot up here is that cars that are really old and rare and are in good condition get this fate. And I do not agree with that and do not like it. As this 505 these are now extremely rare and good cars that have managed to survive should be taken care of in my opinion. But if this was a Peugeot 407, I would not care at all.

11 minutes ago, MikeR said:

That england footie captain walked past me today ,

he said nowt ,

so i ignored him .... 

As it should be.  We all have jobs. His is being paid to run around a field, and entertain the crowd. Yours is to look after blind kids. Which is more valuable to society?  and which is just a hobby that got out of hand? 

3 hours ago, New POD said:

As it should be.  We all have jobs. His is being paid to run around a field, and entertain the crowd. Yours is to look after blind kids. Which is more valuable to society?  and which is just a hobby that got out of hand? 

I watched the FA Disability Cup on TV on Sunday. The blind football was amazing. Can't say I have ever thought the same about the current England captain.

Fucking local Co-op, why is it every time I buy a top voucher at the counter the person serving me is a idiot. 

Went in for £10 and they charged me £20, so i said it was wrong and was told. No it's what you asked for!! Oh and they couldn't / wouldn't refund me either. 

Bollocks to them now. Instead of walking to my local co-op, I'll drive the 3 mile to Tesco instead and they can have my business. 

Civic wouldn't start, some sort of battery electrical issue, meh. That's not what's bothering me.

When working on it, my utter cunt of a neighbour was out and saw it, had his usual wee dig

'You buy some amount of bangers, always something isn't there? Always breaking down haha'.

It's always like this, he's not trying to be funny, just be a total cunt.

Difference between me and him is that at least i can fix things myself (And my record with non starts at the house in 13 years of driving is 3, hardly like i'm always out there working on wrecks, is it?), he has to call somebody out even if he gets a drip from a pipe under his sink or get someone to top his fucking washer fluid up. Useless gobby unfunny cunt.

Words can't express how much i want to smash his head in with a breaker bar on a daily basis.

Luckily for him, i only ordered one last night so i'm waiting on it arriving.

Neighbors are all cunts as far as I can tell, I don't know how they manage it.

When I lived at home our neighbor found every way he could to antagonise both me and dad.

When I lived in a student flat in Edinburgh our downstairs neighbors regularly came to our door threatening to phone the police because we were playing guitar/music, always well before 9pm on a Friday/weekend and never particularly loud.

And in the place I'm in now my old upstairs neighbor phoned the police on me when I went to his door after locking myself out of the house two days after dad died. Apparently breaking down in tears after he asked "what the fuck do you want me to do about it?" was being aggressive? This is after he'd told me that I could come to him whenever I needed help of course!

Actually my new neighbor is alright, even if he does play guitar at odd times and can regularly be heard shouting at customer service people on the phone. He leaves me alone at least.

Nothing attracts nobbers like raising a bonnet on a car. Absolute fact.

My neighbour list is 

1. Racist old man, useless nobber, stops every fucking time. Gets mugged off.

2. 1.8 Zafira owner who says about it "handles like it's on rails" "i like the power". These beauties came out when I had a mk3 mr2 and 1.8 vectra at the time. Decent bloke otherwise.

3. Busty young brunette, doesn't drive and knows fuck all about cars. For some reason I'm reasonably tolerant. 

There are loads more.

2 hours ago, reb said:

Neighbors are all cunts as far as I can tell, I don't know how they manage it.

When I lived at home our neighbor found every way he could to antagonise both me and dad.

When I lived in a student flat in Edinburgh our downstairs neighbors regularly came to our door threatening to phone the police because we were playing guitar/music, always well before 9pm on a Friday/weekend and never particularly loud.

And in the place I'm in now my old upstairs neighbor phoned the police on me when I went to his door after locking myself out of the house two days after dad died. Apparently breaking down in tears after he asked "what the fuck do you want me to do about it?" was being aggressive? This is after he'd told me that I could come to him whenever I needed help of course!

Actually my new neighbor is alright, even if he does play guitar at odd times and can regularly be heard shouting at customer service people on the phone. He leaves me alone at least.

so are mine , years ago they even got plod onto the kids playing in the road , fast forward many years and many of the old twats are dying off ..

the remaining one still has a 2 car drive and parks one car opposite me every so often  ...the guy at the end with a jag still likes to rag it down the road ..

so I dumped my shed  opposite his shiny car .....

10 mins later the guy in a jag was locked against his car , I got in mine and fucked off and left him to it ... I heard someone mumbling about somat ..but being half deaf

no one has been round .....

5 hours ago, Mrcento said:

Civic wouldn't start, some sort of battery electrical issue, meh. That's not what's bothering me.

When working on it, my utter cunt of a neighbour was out and saw it, had his usual wee dig

'You buy some amount of bangers, always something isn't there? Always breaking down haha'.

It's always like this, he's not trying to be funny, just be a total cunt.

Difference between me and him is that at least i can fix things myself (And my record with non starts at the house in 13 years of driving is 3, hardly like i'm always out there working on wrecks, is it?), he has to call somebody out even if he gets a drip from a pipe under his sink or get someone to top his fucking washer fluid up. Useless gobby unfunny cunt.

Words can't express how much i want to smash his head in with a breaker bar on a daily basis.

Luckily for him, i only ordered one last night so i'm waiting on it arriving.

I fucking love having a unit. It’s cripplingly expensive but avoiding this BS is worth it. 

I’m surrounded by people who do car stuff for a living so they just leave me to it (and probably laugh at how inept I am)

Soo, I've managed to completely waste my last day off before work by sitting and watching Youtube all day.

I wanted to wipe the car over, get rid of the shit from yesterday's rain and chop some fire wood.

Nope, not interested.

I've had a couple of drops of Drambuie though so it's not all bad.

I have spent the last 16 years living in italy explaining to the italians that no, it is not always raining in england and that i used to ride bikes all year round in england and you can't do that in italy !, bloody freezing in winter and the rain drops are massive in italy.

I 've been back in england for 8 days now in mid summer and it had only rained every bloody day !

On 7/29/2021 at 2:29 AM, dave j said:

I am so glad I have decent neighbours! Directly opposite has just retired from the Rac, he has helped me out loads of times! I regularly ask next door to give me a hand lifting or shifting stuff, including helping me lift the body of the Beetle on and off the chassis! 

20210426_183600.thumb.jpg.ae8df4842ab40586ef628085fab5b20b.jpg

This is one of my neighbors, Dennis. He's our local neighborhood hippie. Ex boat cook. Wanders around with his dog and always has something nice to say.

The world needs more neighbors like him. Even if he does have to blow into a box on his dashboard to get his car to start...

10 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

45°?  'Kinell!

We've got a team of people doing a demo this week and next to the DoD in the desert near Salt Lake City. 

So far the temp has been averaging 118 F with peaks to 125 at mid day.  Which is 50. 

So far they have suffered 3 blowouts on 3 hired cab crew pick up trucks. 

The  test vehicle has some radio controlled switches for Estops and they keep overheating.

Bits specified by our bit of the team, have not overheated because I said "assume that under bonnet temps get to 250 C and assume that in cab temps get to 100 C" (although our side are over budget) 

The other side knew better. Apparently. Not. 

29 minutes ago, New POD said:

We've got a team of people doing a demo this week and next to the DoD in the desert near Salt Lake City. 

So far the temp has been averaging 118 F with peaks to 125 at mid day.  Which is 50. 

The  test vehicle has some radio controlled switches for Estops and they keep overheating.

Bits specified by our bit of the team, have not overheated because I said "assume that under bonnet temps get to 250 C and assume that in cab temps get to 100 C" (although our side are over budget) 

Yup, we've been averaging 95 in the shade here, but from a people-working perspective that's as bad as 115 because of the humidity. 

The hottest I've seen the interior of my car is about 75C in the sun; if I park the car outside, don't run it for a day and get in at 2pm the temperature gauge comes off cold and sits just above the lowest scale marker (100F).

No, you are not wrong to specify heat hardened equipment. This country has some harsh climate environments. It's hardly like doing a test drive in Norfolk.

Phil

Wasted my whole morning looking at a Citroen C4 picasso with a hand brake fault and warning for rear sidelight bulb (which was working)
As far as I can tell its a communication or wiring issue between modules, as diagnostics tell me everything is there and working. And just for a laugh the car now insists a front sidelight bulb is out (it's working).
Citroen why just why.........

1 hour ago, New POD said:

And let me guess, you now have a smug face on for all the people who told you to not be bloody stupid and stop wasting money but grudgingly signed it all off.. 

If not you should have