The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I've screwed up shipping some laptops out last week. Two were meant to go to a computer shop not too far from here, they've instead received an ancient one someone down Cornwall way had bought. Went and fetched the ancient one from the shop, tried to contact the one down in Cornwall to get those two back... nothing so far. Hoping and praying that it's because someone else signed for the delivery and they were out at work, otherwise I'm about £250 out of pocket. Serves me right for trying to package up stuff at 10pm while tired and hot. So pissed off with myself.

And then had to go and grab a third from a parcel drop off place I never normally use, who never actually bothered to give UPS the parcel... Some days I wonder why I do this.

Whats the record for a main dealer to repair a car ?

Son in laws 60 plate Lexus is suffered a injector failure, 3 months later same part failed. New injector fitted under parts warranty and car wont start now.

They have now had the car 3 months, yes 3 and have decided the ecu is faulty and is obsolete and nobody will attempt to repair it

Absolutly staggering. Mind you the 70 plate loan car is clockingup the miles

Rant over

57 minutes ago, Tigerfox said:

Son in laws 60 plate Lexus is suffered a injector failure, 3 months later same part failed. New injector fitted under parts warranty and car wont start now.

They have now had the car 3 months, yes 3 and have decided the ecu is faulty and is obsolete and nobody will attempt to repair it

Rant over

I don't know about main dealers, but when Renault decided to be pacesetters in electronic automatic gearbox control it was often very difficult to get those transmissions fixed. One car was so long waiting for repair that the owner went down to the garage and shot the garage man, fortunately not fatally. I can't remember if they'd had the car one year or two.

Thanks Parcelforce.

That might be the panels I ordered for the Corsa now gone.

It never made it out of the depot! Despite making it all the way from Germany to begin with. 

Useless wankers!

Screenshot_20210721-195320.thumb.png.c66e521616fa27b3b6bed339685e8218.png 

*Inhales in*

Fuckin' wankers!

I hope whoever made it disappear (it might not be the person in the tracking) steps on a cuntin' lego while running to the toilet to shit a hedgehog that's coming out backwards!! 

E-mailled Parcelfarse, I'm not holding my breath!

I'm also gonna contact the seller too. Who wasn't at fault. Just annoyed that we were let down by a wanky service. 

Bob the fucking builder next door who I may* have mentioned is getting on my tits again. 

Last night I'm outside trying to do some work while it's a fraction cooler. What's that fucking smell? Oh, it's super cheap burgers dripping fat onto a BBQ. Little clouds of noxious smoke rising every few seconds or so. Well they're entitled to cancer if they want it.

THREE FUCKING HOURS LATER, they finally stop burning meat. There's only two of them and two little bastards. How much meat can they eat? For bonus dozy points they have the BBQ 5 foot from their own door, so their house will have been full of awful smoke.

Fast forwards to tonight, and yep, it's another 3 hour BBQ for 4! They must have clicked the wrong button on iceland and got 50 kilos of their finest cheapest mystery meat.

Today has been an almost complete waste of a day.  This morning's task was to finally fit the aircon belt that I bought two years ago to the Rover 75.  On the diesel 75s the aircon compressor is driven by a separate belt that sits behind the main auxiliary belt, so the aux belt has to come off to fit it.  Getting the aux belt off took about 10 minutes once I'd figured that I could get enough movement on the tensioner from above (wasn't going to happen from underneath).  It then took a further 15 minutes of wrangling, swearing and trying to fit my hand through impossibly small gaps to figure out that the aircon belt I had bought is far too short - even with the tensioner slackened off completely there's no way it's going to go round the crank pulley and the compressor pulley at the same time.  Which is an embuggerance as the few sellers on eBay who list an aircon belt for the 75 all list the same length as the one I have.

It then took three hours to refit the aux belt.  The problem was that the belt had partially slipped off one of the idler pulleys, which I didn't spot as there was about 150 other fucking pulleys in the way and a roughly 3mm gap between said pulleys and the inner wing.  So when I let go of the tensioner it sprang back way further than it should have, the spanner pinged off and I couldn't get it back on again.  Or rather I could, but one notch round, so I didn't have anything like enough movement on the tensioner to get the belt back on properly.  Going at it from underneath was the same story.  I tried pushing the car down off the ramps, jacking it up and removing the front wheel and the wheelarch liner so as to try turning the crank pulley with a socket to see if that'd pull the belt on.  It didn't - the pulley turned but the belt didn't move.  Then I tried sticking a crowbar down between the tensioner and the PAS pulley and levering the tensioner down - that worked but the end of the crowbar was too wide for me to be able to get the spanner on the tensioner.  So I tried with my long flathead screwdriver - it's a good couple of feet long so in theory should have given plenty of leverage, but it's a Rolson so in practice it did little more than bend and then slip out of place.  I did eventually manage to get it to move the tensioner enough for me to get the spanner on, but then when I went to find something to hold the whole thing in place so I could refit the belt, the spanner pinged off again.  It took me another half hour of swearing to get the spanner to grip again, following which I wedged it in place using the aforementioned big screwdriver and finally got the belt back on.  So 3 1/2 hours later I was back to where I started.  Except that for some reason the belt is now tighter than before.  And I still don't have aircon.

Also someone had managed to put a dent in the rear wing.  Not a bad one, and fortunately I was able to push it out, but that wasted another half hour or so removing all the trim from inside the boot to get to it.

The Spacy has decided, having started and run fine yesterday, that it's going to play silly fuckers again.  It will start, and it will idle happily for hours, but as soon as I give it any throttle it cuts out.  There's still plenty of fuel getting through, so I'm not quite sure what its problem is, but it looks like I'm going to have to take the fugging carb off yet again.

I then went to Tesco to stock up on drinks, and on the way out I almost drove into some senile old twat who wandered across behind me whilst I was reversing out of my space.  I was looking over my right shoulder as that's the way I was going, and he came from the left and must have been in my blind spot or behind another car when I started the manoeuvre because I didn't see him.  Fortunately I was in the Ypsilon and the parking sensors started beeping so I stopped, but my brain then started doing the usual thing it does when I'm mentally in a bad place of firing off all sorts of what-if scenarios - what if I'd been in another car, or even in the van where I can't see directly behind me at all?  Etc etc.

My task for this afternoon was supposed to be to cut out the patch for the floor of the Renault 6 and then get the welder out and play with settings etc, but given that I was running massively late and having one of those days where everything I touch turns to shit, I thought I'd better leave it, so I decided to tidy the porch / shed instead.  Spent about 2 1/2 hours on it (until it got too dark to see what I was doing) and have barely made a dent in it.  I have far too much shit.

I clicked on a link in the eBay Tat thread for a van that was advertised for sale on Facebook, but then made the mistake of scrolling down and having a look at the other featured ads, including several for property to rent.  Fuck me have prices gone stupid.  I know I have a very good deal on my current house, but looking at the listings online I'd now barely get a 1-bed flat for what I'm currently paying.  Apparently there are still queues for properties even at those prices.  I blame cunts from London moving up here to work from home and sending the prices through the roof.  I am going to be proper stuffed if I have to move out of this house any time soon - I'll probably end up having to move in with my parents, which is not what I want to be doing at the age of 42.

I've been looking at jobs this week - I'm thoroughly pissed off with my current job , the team is falling apart, the entire division is viewed as second class citizens by senior management, and the pay is frankly pathetic for the amount of work I've been doing and responsibility I've been taking on.  Except that I can't find anything with significantly better pay.  I know there are jobs out there in the insurance industry that pay far more than what I'm on now, as I work alongside people who are paid far more than me, but can I find any?  Can I feck as like. 

I'd actually started off the summer really motivated to sort my finances out.  Get a better paid job, sell off most of the fleet, cut my VED bill and pay off my debts, and then maybe I could finally start saving for a deposit on a house.  That's not going great - I've already touched on the job situation, and nae cunt seems to want to buy any of my stuff (either vehicles or pushbikes) so I've made pretty much zero progress towards that goal.  The problem is that it's now starting to depress me, which is a problem in two different ways - firstly I'm going to lose my motivation and sink back into my rut, and secondly when I'm depressed I start impulse buying cars to cheer myself up, which is only going to make the situation worse.

Oh, and the Toyota failed its MOT today.  Not badly, but given the amount of time I've spent on it and the amount of other shiz I have to get done at the moment, I really could have done with a straight pass.

I know this may seem sacrilege, but with the price of scrap running as high as it is now, it is worth thinking about weighing some of them in?  

As an example, you’ve been trying to sell that diesel Mondeo for about £500 for more than a year - it might be worth nearly £400 from one of those car take back places. Vans too must be close to that, if not more. 

Just a thought, hope things start looking up for you soon. 

10 hours ago, Tigerfox said:

Rant over

There's an ecu repairer on here.. can't remember his user name..

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Today has been an almost complete waste of a day.  This morning's task was to finally fit the aircon belt that I bought two years ago to the Rover 75.  On the diesel 75s the aircon compressor is driven by a separate belt that sits behind the main auxiliary belt, so the aux belt has to come off to fit it.  Getting the aux belt off took about 10 minutes once I'd figured that I could get enough movement on the tensioner from above (wasn't going to happen from underneath).  It then took a further 15 minutes of wrangling, swearing and trying to fit my hand through impossibly small gaps to figure out that the aircon belt I had bought is far too short - even with the tensioner slackened off completely there's no way it's going to go round the crank pulley and the compressor pulley at the same time.  Which is an embuggerance as the few sellers on eBay who list an aircon belt for the 75 all list the same length as the one I have.

It then took three hours to refit the aux belt.  The problem was that the belt had partially slipped off one of the idler pulleys, which I didn't spot as there was about 150 other fucking pulleys in the way and a roughly 3mm gap between said pulleys and the inner wing.  So when I let go of the tensioner it sprang back way further than it should have, the spanner pinged off and I couldn't get it back on again.  Or rather I could, but one notch round, so I didn't have anything like enough movement on the tensioner to get the belt back on properly.  Going at it from underneath was the same story.  I tried pushing the car down off the ramps, jacking it up and removing the front wheel and the wheelarch liner so as to try turning the crank pulley with a socket to see if that'd pull the belt on.  It didn't - the pulley turned but the belt didn't move.  Then I tried sticking a crowbar down between the tensioner and the PAS pulley and levering the tensioner down - that worked but the end of the crowbar was too wide for me to be able to get the spanner on the tensioner.  So I tried with my long flathead screwdriver - it's a good couple of feet long so in theory should have given plenty of leverage, but it's a Rolson so in practice it did little more than bend and then slip out of place.  I did eventually manage to get it to move the tensioner enough for me to get the spanner on, but then when I went to find something to hold the whole thing in place so I could refit the belt, the spanner pinged off again.  It took me another half hour of swearing to get the spanner to grip again, following which I wedged it in place using the aforementioned big screwdriver and finally got the belt back on.  So 3 1/2 hours later I was back to where I started.  Except that for some reason the belt is now tighter than before.  And I still don't have aircon.

Also someone had managed to put a dent in the rear wing.  Not a bad one, and fortunately I was able to push it out, but that wasted another half hour or so removing all the trim from inside the boot to get to it.

The Spacy has decided, having started and run fine yesterday, that it's going to play silly fuckers again.  It will start, and it will idle happily for hours, but as soon as I give it any throttle it cuts out.  There's still plenty of fuel getting through, so I'm not quite sure what its problem is, but it looks like I'm going to have to take the fugging carb off yet again.

I then went to Tesco to stock up on drinks, and on the way out I almost drove into some senile old twat who wandered across behind me whilst I was reversing out of my space.  I was looking over my right shoulder as that's the way I was going, and he came from the left and must have been in my blind spot or behind another car when I started the manoeuvre because I didn't see him.  Fortunately I was in the Ypsilon and the parking sensors started beeping so I stopped, but my brain then started doing the usual thing it does when I'm mentally in a bad place of firing off all sorts of what-if scenarios - what if I'd been in another car, or even in the van where I can't see directly behind me at all?  Etc etc.

My task for this afternoon was supposed to be to cut out the patch for the floor of the Renault 6 and then get the welder out and play with settings etc, but given that I was running massively late and having one of those days where everything I touch turns to shit, I thought I'd better leave it, so I decided to tidy the porch / shed instead.  Spent about 2 1/2 hours on it (until it got too dark to see what I was doing) and have barely made a dent in it.  I have far too much shit.

I clicked on a link in the eBay Tat thread for a van that was advertised for sale on Facebook, but then made the mistake of scrolling down and having a look at the other featured ads, including several for property to rent.  Fuck me have prices gone stupid.  I know I have a very good deal on my current house, but looking at the listings online I'd now barely get a 1-bed flat for what I'm currently paying.  Apparently there are still queues for properties even at those prices.  I blame cunts from London moving up here to work from home and sending the prices through the roof.  I am going to be proper stuffed if I have to move out of this house any time soon - I'll probably end up having to move in with my parents, which is not what I want to be doing at the age of 42.

I've been looking at jobs this week - I'm thoroughly pissed off with my current job , the team is falling apart, the entire division is viewed as second class citizens by senior management, and the pay is frankly pathetic for the amount of work I've been doing and responsibility I've been taking on.  Except that I can't find anything with significantly better pay.  I know there are jobs out there in the insurance industry that pay far more than what I'm on now, as I work alongside people who are paid far more than me, but can I find any?  Can I feck as like. 

I'd actually started off the summer really motivated to sort my finances out.  Get a better paid job, sell off most of the fleet, cut my VED bill and pay off my debts, and then maybe I could finally start saving for a deposit on a house.  That's not going great - I've already touched on the job situation, and nae cunt seems to want to buy any of my stuff (either vehicles or pushbikes) so I've made pretty much zero progress towards that goal.  The problem is that it's now starting to depress me, which is a problem in two different ways - firstly I'm going to lose my motivation and sink back into my rut, and secondly when I'm depressed I start impulse buying cars to cheer myself up, which is only going to make the situation worse.

Oh, and the Toyota failed its MOT today.  Not badly, but given the amount of time I've spent on it and the amount of other shiz I have to get done at the moment, I really could have done with a straight pass.

I may inavertently be partly responsible for some of this.

The spanner I promised to look for is as yet still missing.

However, this has reminded me, and since your a/c belt is still not working I will redouble my efforts and attempt to help you achieve success sometime in the future.

Mine never had working air con either. A floppy top is my prefered solution.

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Top quality rant 10/10 A+ 5* rating.  Would read about your minor explosion with rage at modern life again.

8 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

I know this may seem sacrilege, but with the price of scrap running as high as it is now, it is worth thinking about weighing some of them in?  

As an example, you’ve been trying to sell that diesel Mondeo for about £500 for more than a year - it might be worth nearly £400 from one of those car take back places. Vans too must be close to that, if not more. 

Just a thought, hope things start looking up for you soon. 

I actually sold the Mondeo (finally) about a month back!  The ones I'm actively trying to flog at the moment are the Trafic and the 164 - the Trafic is worth relatively little as scrap as it doesn't have a cat (which seems to be where most of the money is) and I couldn't bring myself to scrap the Volvo however much they offered me.  The Škoda can go once FOTU is done with - I will offer that on here but car take back might be the way to go with that if nobody buys it - I'm not going to risk the general public with a car like that.

I'm also trying to get rid of about a dozen pushbikes - you'd think with the nice weather and the school holidays coming up they'd be selling like hot cakes, but nope, nary a sniff.

8 hours ago, colc said:

As are all "new" car adverts.............as long as it connects to your Faceache ridden phone, and it plugs into the mains, nothing else seems to matter...................

God forbid that you could get real information. Selling a dream life STYLE 

Trying to contact HMRC. Yesterday on hold for 26 minutes until I gave up. The office with all the windows and doors shut as there was noise outside was flipping roasting. Today everything open and in a slight breeze 55 minutes on hold "all our advisers are currently busy " Gave up and came home.

Just been on the website for a live webchat. Been on there an hour now "all our advisers are currently busy" 

Are there only two advisers in the whole country ?

1 minute ago, meggersdog said:

Trying to contact HMRC. Yesterday on hold for 26 minutes until I gave up. The office with all the windows and doors shut as there was noise outside was flipping roasting. Today everything open and in a slight breeze 55 minutes on hold "all our advisors are currently busy " Gave up and came home.

Just been on the website for a live webchat. Been on there an hour now "all our advisors are currently busy" 

Are there only two advisors in the whole country ?

I've found ringing just after 8am to be very successful, but that was pre-covid. Worth a try though.

It has been up to 32 degrees today in the shade and since I am Norwegian we are almost the human version of polar bears or penguins so it feels like I am going to die. And my cat is furry and black so she walks around meowing and is clearly uncomfortable and trying desperately to cool down something I have to help her with regularly.

1 hour ago, meggersdog said:

Trying to contact HMRC. Yesterday on hold for 26 minutes until I gave up. The office with all the windows and doors shut as there was noise outside was flipping roasting. Today everything open and in a slight breeze 55 minutes on hold "all our advisers are currently busy " Gave up and came home.

Just been on the website for a live webchat. Been on there an hour now "all our advisers are currently busy" 

Are there only two advisers in the whole country ?

well that  is The United Pingdom for you.

12 hours ago, colc said:

As are all "new" car adverts.............as long as it connects to your Faceache ridden phone, and it plugs into the mains, nothing else seems to matter...................

Ah,  ASA rules say they can't convey speed, they can't suggest sex appeal, they cant demonstrate speed...

That's why the adverts are so shite.

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

It has been up to 32 degrees today in the shade and since I am Norwegian we are almost the human version of polar bears or penguins so it feels like I am going to die. And my cat is furry and black so she walks around meowing and is clearly uncomfortable and trying desperately to cool down something I have to help her with regularly.

Not a lot to be done if you don't have air conditioning; as long as they have shade and water they should be OK, you could experiment with giving them a dampened towel to lie on or freeze a bottle of water and wrap that in a damp cloth and they can use it as a cold equivalent of a hot water bottle.

9 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Not a lot to be done if you don't have air conditioning; as long as they have shade and water they should be OK, you could experiment with giving them a dampened towel to lie on or freeze a bottle of water and wrap that in a damp cloth and they can use it as a cold equivalent of a hot water bottle.

Yes I have tried a bit and what I have found that works to keep the cat cool is to regularly rub my hands full of cold water into her fur. She loves it. I have tried a wet towel but she does not like it.

1 hour ago, Timewaster said:

Ah,  ASA rules say they can't convey speed, they can't suggest sex appeal, they cant demonstrate speed...

That's why the adverts are so shite.

40 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

We've got Marlboro to thank for starting this ad trend off in the first place. "No, we're not just selling you a cigarette, we're selling you a glorious rural farming lifestyle!"

37 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Be fair though, the Yanks would swallow anything.

..including Hugh Grant, once....