The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Sorry to hear that, I came off my bike on Tuesday and wonder if I've cracked a rib.  The pain is unreal and sleeping is unpossible. 

My unintended dismount was caused only by my own lack of concentration but the behaviours of some traffic really does scare me.

Hope you get well soon and never have to deal with arseholes like that again.

Some wankers have moved into kinky girl's block of flats. Unloading car in car park and bang! a full monster energy can slams in 6 foot from us. Some tossers are hanging out of an 8th floor window and think it's hilarious to be throwing things.

Tried the 5 0, but apparently as no one got hit there hasn't been a crime committed.

17 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

Some wankers have moved into kinky girl's block of flats. Unloading car in car park and bang! a full monster energy can slams in 6 foot from us. Some tossers are hanging out of an 8th floor window and think it's hilarious to be throwing things.

Tried the 5 0, but apparently as no one got hit there hasn't been a crime committed.

Not even antisocial behaviour? That's a bit shit.

Currently in Livingston... general expectation is that it will be cooler here than in MK.

Current temperature shown on the thermostat on the wall of this hotel room is 28.5C.  No air conditioning and the window (we're on the top floor) only ooens at the bottom quarter and only by 2".

Have a 300 mile drive in the morning...a good night's sleep prior to this was pretty much an essential requirement before I'd be comfortable setting out.  Well given it's 0300 and I was planning to be getting up in three hours that ain't bloody happening is it...

Should have booked the other hotel that had AC in the rooms...but stuck with this one as it had better reviews by a fraction.

Only ONE mains socket in the whole room too and it's at the furthest point from the bed...that is just fscking stupid.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:45 PM, adw1977 said:

I really can't be trusted with corded hedge trimmers.

20210716_164044.thumb.jpg.b7ce74675067bd192fac950d71ef7360.jpg

This isn't even the first time I've made this mistake.  Verdict: idiot. 

It's a good job my house has modern electrics with RCDs.

Every time I use a  hedge trimmer the cable gets 6ft shorter. 

17 hours ago, Spurious said:

It's shite like this that's pushes me towards having a helmet camera. It's downright dangerous that.

Hope you heal up well. Broken ribs are bloody painful. Not a lot you can do for them other than let them heal. 

Best wishes to @Nyphurbut I imagine a camera in that situation would record...

Flying bottle, road, sky, road sky, sky, kerb. 

Bottle chucking throbbers long gone. 

On 17/07/2021 at 17:52, Nyphur said:

Some fucking chopper leant out the window of a Corsa last night and threw a bottle of water at me while I was cycling home from a friends house. Narrowly missed me but with the shock of it flashing across infront of me I clipped the curb and came off the bike.

Other than some cuts and scrapes last night I felt relatively ok, but it took me nearly 15 minutes to get out of bed this morning, ribs had me howling in pain. Went to A&E on the advice of 111 and had an x-ray which has shown some broken ribs. They gave me a prescription and sent me on my way, Dad drove me the 45 minutes home and called into the chemist to get the prescription filled, but it says on the bottom it can only be filled by the hospital pharmacy.... Fucksticks. Drive 45 minutes back to find that the hospital pharmacy is closed on weekends! Did eventually get it sorted but could have done without that.

I am meant to be having my gallbladder removed Tuesday but I should imagine they'll cancel that now. 

Very glad I was wearing a helmet mind (I always do) as there is a massive crack through it upon inspection this evening - better than a crack in my skull.

Still a couple of cocodamol and a medicinal brandy are doing the job at the moment.

That's really shit, I hope you recover soon.

I had something very similar while cycling a couple of years ago, except it was a half full can of lager that missed me by inches.  It was a shock but, probably by sheer luck, I managed to stay upright.

My internet at work is shocking.It's ASDL  old copper wires and is forever loosing the connection. If I don't notice we are using someone elses wifi before printing then, as both the laptop and printer are wifi, the laptop cannot connect to the printer. Doesn't matter what I try the only way is to switch everything off and reboot. It's been a right pain when we are busy so fibre optic got installed on Friday.

Had to go with BT so openreach could do all the cabling as we didn't have Fibre optic. After a bit of faffing for a few weeks the fibre was installed. A young chap came on Friday to connect everything up. When he turned up late (phoned to rebook at 8 am ) he kept saying the box should be outside not in the office. Doesn't look weatherproof to me but he connected it up. He also said he'd never done a business install before. The new phone didn't work but he said it could take upto midnight as the other provider hadn't relinquished the line. After he had gone I tried connecting the printer to the new fibre optic.. No joy there.

Came into work today to try and sort the printer for tomorrow as we have a busy day. Old supplier still connected. Still cannot connect the printer and now won't connect to the old supply. Bugger. The upstairs office is now just a store room so went up there to fetch the old printer. It's another wifi printer but had to get a new one because......... my T shirt is now covered in ink. Anyway switched it on scrolled down to that model and.......... cannot connect to printer.

Rage Angainst The Machine..

No amount of shouting or swearing at the laptop screen made either printer work.

18 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Currently in Livingston... general expectation is that it will be cooler here than in MK.

Current temperature shown on the thermostat on the wall of this hotel room is 28.5C.  No air conditioning and the window (we're on the top floor) only ooens at the bottom quarter and only by 2".

Have a 300 mile drive in the morning...a good night's sleep prior to this was pretty much an essential requirement before I'd be comfortable setting out.  Well given it's 0300 and I was planning to be getting up in three hours that ain't bloody happening is it...

Should have booked the other hotel that had AC in the rooms...but stuck with this one as it had better reviews by a fraction.

Only ONE mains socket in the whole room too and it's at the furthest point from the bed...that is just fscking stupid.

When me and some friends did our booze cruise to France when travel was still a thing, we ended up on the top floor of a Travelodge in Thurrock with no AC in similar heat. After being on the go since 11pm the previous night, I lay there at about midnight weighing up whether giving up on the room and driving another 3 hours was the lesser of the two evils.

Motorways without hard shoulders can get in the fscking sea.

Had a (mercifully brief, and in crawling traffic) FTP today on a section without a shoulder.  Immediate cut out without warning...no chance of rolling to a "refuge area."

Lorry driver stopped and asked if I wanted help getting to the side of the road, but we both kind of looked at the situation and came to the conclusion that it really wouldn't gain us anything.  With the traffic moving very slowly I was actually more conspicuous and easy to get around where I was.  Moving to the inside of the slight curve would actually have made the situation more dangerous, odd to that may sound.

I couldn't even leave the car as there was a fucking six foot high concrete barrier at the side of the road....so my choices were basically "sit in the car, in the middle of lane 2" or "stand in a live motorway carriageway with zip for cover." Getting to a gap in that barrier would have meant jogging a heck of a lot further than looked sane down afforementioned live carriageway.

Thankfully the car decided to cooperate again after a few minutes of cooling off and I was able to get back under way without issue.

Phoned 999 the moment it happened, and the advice from the police was "Stay in your vehicle, put the hazards on and await assistance." Expected time for that?  30-60 minutes.

The whole point of motorways being designed with a hard shoulder from the start was so there was a (relatively) safe haven to retreat to in the case of trouble out of the live carriageway, dump your car and get the heck out of the way.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:45 PM, adw1977 said:

I really can't be trusted with corded hedge trimmers.

20210716_164044.thumb.jpg.b7ce74675067bd192fac950d71ef7360.jpg

This isn't even the first time I've made this mistake.  Verdict: idiot. 

It's a good job my house has modern electrics with RCDs.

Some photos of my life saving bodgery.

end.thumb.jpg.b9fb0af04265aaa4b7eaa445cf16de14.jpg

I think that maybe I should have use the tap end over the plug tail rather than the shower head end. It is smaller and with save crushing the end so that it stays in situ.

length.thumb.jpg.809bc81717d4f53223459e073b3eab4d.jpg

The length of the shower hose is more than adequate. I did write previously that it is too large to pass in-between the cutting teeth. Well I tried  that today and that is not correct.  However, I have never cut the cable since I done this  a number of years ago. No I did not have the power on when testing.

I just grump is having to cut my hedge as they are conifers and the land is steep so a ladder is always required. I also seem to have some sort of allergy to conifers. So when cutting and if I do not cover up I come out in a rash. These plants are around 21 years old so there is no way they are going to be dug up. I want the privacy.

hate.thumb.jpg.a5b01e325b14f417ca592d849b60f7fc.jpg

12 hours ago, Timewaster said:

Best wishes to @Nyphurbut I imagine a camera in that situation would record...

Flying bottle, road, sky, road sky, sky, kerb. 

Bottle chucking throbbers long gone. 

That is where front and rear facing cameras on the bike are worth their weight in gold. The rear-facing one will pick up the vehicle as it approaches, the front one will show that the bottle was lobbed from that car.

An absolutely cuntish thing for whoeveritwas to do.  One can only hope they drove off, crashed and burned to death in the wreckage.  In pain.  (I'm not in a great place when it comes to cunts like that at the moment...)

E thingy's that can do about 20 to 30 mph , be it a bike or scooter ..

went out today for a snack  , as we are getting a pavement table , a E scooter does some 20mph or so past us on the pavement ... very quiet and very close !!

then as we head home , blue lights in the distance , a E bike has had a bad argument  with a car on a roundabout , driver is ok , but the rider was being taken away ..

now when mopeds came out years ago , with a means of propulsion and pedals , their was an up cry about the teenage death rate on a bike that could do some 40mph or more  !! 

looking at the todays h&S issues with E things , I wonder how long till they are all regulated with laws and safety equipment ...

The law is clear. E Scooters are illegal to use on a public highway, road or pavement. Except in certain cities where they are experimenting.  And it's not going well I understand. 

E bikes are limited to 15 mph, and that has to be achieved with pedal assist.  Twist grips are illegal.  Power has to cut off at 15 mph.  They can't be used on pavements. So if you see one not on a road and not on a cycle path, the user is a twat.  If you see one on a pavement doing 20 mph the user is a bigger twat. 

Now you say you saw the aftermath of an accident, on a road. Do you have anything to suggest that the vehicle was modified, or it was going more than 15 mph?  Did they have a cycle helmet? It might be that the car made an error. Not unlikely ??? 

I've just cycled into the village, and the demographic and ages of people driving suggests that they should have joined me at Spec Savers. 

On 7/17/2021 at 11:52 AM, Nyphur said:

Some fucking chopper leant out the window of a Corsa last night and threw a bottle of water at me while I was cycling home from a friends house. Narrowly missed me but with the shock of it flashing across infront of me I clipped the curb and came off the bike.

Other than some cuts and scrapes last night I felt relatively ok, but it took me nearly 15 minutes to get out of bed this morning, ribs had me howling in pain. Went to A&E on the advice of 111 and had an x-ray which has shown some broken ribs. They gave me a prescription and sent me on my way, Dad drove me the 45 minutes home and called into the chemist to get the prescription filled, but it says on the bottom it can only be filled by the hospital pharmacy.... Fucksticks. Drive 45 minutes back to find that the hospital pharmacy is closed on weekends! Did eventually get it sorted but could have done without that.

I am meant to be having my gallbladder removed Tuesday but I should imagine they'll cancel that now. 

Very glad I was wearing a helmet mind (I always do) as there is a massive crack through it upon inspection this evening - better than a crack in my skull.

Still a couple of cocodamol and a medicinal brandy are doing the job at the moment.

Christ, where the hell do you live again? Johannesburg?

1 hour ago, PhilA said:

Christ, where the hell do you live again? Johannesburg?

If he were there he's either have some looted packaging or, if super unlucky, an emptied gun magazine zipping by him.

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

E thingy's that can do about 20 to 30 mph , be it a bike or scooter ..

went out today for a snack  , as we are getting a pavement table , a E scooter does some 20mph or so past us on the pavement ... very quiet and very close !!

then as we head home , blue lights in the distance , a E bike has had a bad argument  with a car on a roundabout , driver is ok , but the rider was being taken away ..

now when mopeds came out years ago , with a means of propulsion and pedals , their was an up cry about the teenage death rate on a bike that could do some 40mph or more  !! 

looking at the todays h&S issues with E things , I wonder how long till they are all regulated with laws and safety equipment ...

They are regulated.  It’s just that it’s not properly enforced.

The (continuing) rain has cooled the outside temp to 22 degrees, but this has not yet been communicated to the air molecules inside the residence despite numerous openings being, well, open. I had to get something from the loft 30 minutes ago - fuck knows why the dinner is in the oven, it'd be cheaper to cook it up there!

Browsing through a 2019 craptical plastics issue... are these people for real?

Twice it goes in one copy about why you should be wary of buying cheap cars not fitted with premium rubber. I don’t know where they’re finding these people selling a cheap car with a full set of Crossclimates. 

Anyhow the bullshit continues in the Mondeo guide, mechanical maladies page, extremely common handbrake light sticking on, the technical ‘experts’ went off down the route of changing the fucking master cylinder. A squirt of contact cleaner in the dipswitch under the lever would’ve sorted it. Anyway, got into the guide, ‘air con standard from launch’ - bullshit, it was only standard on the very last models, the LX and GLX it was all an option on Mk1.  ‘Cable operated clutch’ - only on the very very first models, changed to hydraulic round about ‘94. 

The bullshit that I’m reading here makes me want to sling it on the BBQ.