The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Feckin' self-built desktop PC has failed after seven years. The price of its replacement (another customised desktop) feels like daylight robbery - most expensive component in it seems to be Windows 10.

Can you put the HDD in another machine, or is it that that's failed? 

(which reminds me - backup time tonight) 

17 minutes ago, R1152 said:

Can you put the HDD in another machine, or is it that that's failed? 

(which reminds me - backup time tonight) 

The boot drive (which is SSD) failed. I only realised when I came back to it and found the thing trying to start using Win XP.....

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The boot drive (which is SSD) failed. I only realised when I came back to it and found the thing trying to start using Win XP.....

That's worrying, given how many people are migrating to SSDs these days... 🤔

8 minutes ago, R1152 said:

I'd point out that failure rates aren't all that high from what I've seen. I've got a 64 gigabyte SanDisk SSD that's been running nearly every day for the last 5 years. Unfortunately they're not all that recoverable like mechanical hard drives.

33 minutes ago, R1152 said:

23 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

I'd point out that failure rates aren't all that high from what I've seen. I've got a 64 gigabyte SanDisk SSD that's been running nearly every day for the last 5 years. Unfortunately they're not all that recoverable like mechanical hard drives.

The SSD which has ceased to be has lasted 7 years. Dunno whether that's the average lifespan for something produced back then.

5 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The SSD which has ceased to be has lasted 7 years. Dunno whether that's the average lifespan for something produced back then.

It's done rather well. I don't think their service life is all that large as SSDs, like most flash memory storage, has a limited number of read/write cycles that it can do before wearing out the electronics inside.

35 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

It's done rather well. I don't think their service life is all that large as SSDs, like most flash memory storage, has a limited number of read/write cycles that it can do before wearing out the electronics inside.

That's what a friend with network systems experience said, so I guess that must be the life cycle of early SSDs.

SSDs made now may* last longer*

Reset the SD1's timing. It ran but badly. It would not idle. I attempted to adjust the timing but now it just wont start.

This car is sucking the life out of me. I don't think it will ever go back on the road.

2 hours ago, Bren said:

Reset the SD1's timing. It ran but badly. It would not idle. I attempted to adjust the timing but now it just wont start.

This car is sucking the life out of me. I don't think it will ever go back on the road.

22 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Unadjust it?

If it ain't broke.....

On 7/14/2021 at 9:14 PM, Fumbler said:

Unexpected failures on SSDs really aren't all that high.  SSDs will have a finite lifetime based on their read/write cycles like you've said but most HDDs will eventually fail mechanically.  On balance, I'd expect an SSD to last longer.  I've experienced a number of HDD failures and the only major SSD issues I've had are due to the drive being disconnected and data then being corrupted (which has just resulted in a reimage of the machine).

HDDs in laptops nowadays is just a silly idea really.  I'm always frustrated when I come across a laptop at work with an HDD because the performance difference is so noticable.  In particular,  it's the randomness of HDD failures I hate.  A tiny drop of the device and it can completely bork it but two feet might not and it entirely depends on the angle and what the head is doing at the time...

3 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Unexpected failures on SSDs really aren't all that high.  SSDs will have a finite lifetime based on their read/write cycles like you've said but most HDDs will eventually fail mechanically.  On balance, I'd expect an SSD to last longer.  I've experienced a number of HDD failures and the only major SSD issues I've had are due to the drive being disconnected and data then being corrupted (which has just resulted in a reimage of the machine).......

My two SATA HDDs have so far lasted almost twice as long as the failed SSD ...

44 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

My two SATA HDDs have so far lasted almost twice as long as the failed SSD ...

That may very well be the case.  Like I say, HDD failures are unpredictable because of the number of failure modes they have.  On average I find SSDs to be much more robust and reliable, individual instances notwithstanding.

I saw the light re SSD's in March 2020 when during the first lockdown began. I bought a refurbished Windows 10  Dell business laptop for £80 on Ebay, despite only having a 120G drive and 4g ram it was waaaay faster than the higher spec machine it replaced. I liked it so much I bought my wife an identical one from the same seller- A year and a half on they're both still going and plenty fast enough for the basic browsing we use them for.

Meanwhile, flushed with the success of the laptops, I swapped the 250g HDD in the desktop upstairs for a Crucial SSD (£25 at the time)of the same size. After a fresh install of Windows 10 the difference was profound, it boots in under 5 seconds. Crucial actually provide a  free programme to check lifespan amongst other stuff, and after a year of solid use it's at 94% life left... Read into that what you will.

TLDR- I tried an SSD and was so impressed with the difference it made, I switched every machine in the house to running them within a 6 month period.

I've lost count of the number of SSD devices in USB/SD drives I've binned over the years, but I've never had a spinning disc fail. The drive on my most-used desktop (a refurbed business Dell) had been run for 5 years with about 200 start-ups when I got it , one of these machines that's never switched off, yet it continues to run fine.

Another "customer" in Ireland this time has sent us a box of scrap, unrepairable electronics and declared the value as 3000 euros (cos thats what they would have cost new)

Another ~£600 bill from DHL for VAT despite me saying to them (by email and over the phone) time and time again "NEVER SEND US ANY PARCELS THAT ARE DUE CHARGES WITHOUT GETTING OUR AUTHORISATION"

In total they claim we owe them many many thousands of pounds in duty and VAT for parcels that were sent to us completely unsolicited, with the customs forms filled incorrectly.

It's really getting me down because I'm absolutely working flat out anyway and don't have the time to try and sort this bollocks out. I think we've wasted three days already with the last lot, and now more!

DHL are cunts, and also in this case, brexit too. 

3 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

I've lost count of the number of SSD devices in USB/SD drives I've binned over the years, but I've never had a spinning disc fail. The drive on my most-used desktop (a refurbed business Dell) had been run for 5 years with about 200 start-ups when I got it , one of these machines that's never switched off, yet it continues to run fine.

I've had a couple of HDD fail, but paradoxically never an SSD. Admittedly my experience of the latter is relatively short.

Went outside with a view to emptying my stuff out the Xantia and transferring some of my spares into it, thinking I might at least get it a wash.

Yeah... totally failed to account for how much warmer it is than yesterday, I was wrecked within ten minutes.

Why the heck did I move down south again?!? 

2 hours ago, adw1977 said:

I really can't be trusted with corded hedge trimmers.

20210716_164044.thumb.jpg.b7ce74675067bd192fac950d71ef7360.jpg

This isn't even the first time I've made this mistake.  Verdict: idiot. 

It's a good job my house has modern electrics with RCDs.

I have done the same too. Now I have a outer shower hose  over the cable. 1.5metres or there abouts is long enough. Gently crimp the shower hose so that it grips the cable without digging in and it will stay fixed. The hose is large enough not to enter the teeth and will not damage them. Cheaper than an armoured cable.

12 hours ago, Remspoor said:

I have done the same too. Now I have a outer shower hose  over the cable. 1.5metres or there abouts is long enough. Gently crimp the shower hose so that it grips the cable without digging in and it will stay fixed. The hose is large enough not to enter the teeth and will not damage them. Cheaper than an armoured cable.

I'll have to tell my brother.  He is an expert at slicing through the cables.  His wife won't let him repair them so he goes and buys a new one.

On 16/07/2021 at 13:04, Shirley Knott said:

I've had a couple of HDD fail, but paradoxically never an SSD. Admittedly my experience of the latter is relatively short.

My last drive that popped was a samsung hdd , bad sectors corrupted data , how ever got a recovery off my back ups which are all hdds , i dont think ssd's are ment for long term storage when powered down , i have heard of a year for data retention... Things could of changed .....

1 minute ago, Nyphur said:

Some fucking chopper leant out the window of a Corsa last night and threw a bottle of water at me while I was cycling home from a friends house. Narrowly missed me but with the shock of it flashing across infront of me I clipped the curb and came off the bike.

Other than some cuts and scrapes last night I felt relatively ok, but it took me nearly 15 minutes to get out of bed this morning, ribs had me howling in pain. Went to A&E on the advice of 111 and had an x-ray which has shown some broken ribs. They gave me a prescription and sent me on my way, Dad drove me the 45 minutes home and called into the chemist to get the prescription filled, but it says on the bottom it can only be filled by the hospital pharmacy.... Fucksticks. Drive 45 minutes back to find that the hospital pharmacy is closed on weekends! Did eventually get it sorted but could have done without that.

I am meant to be having my gallbladder removed Tuesday but I should imagine they'll cancel that now. 

Very glad I was wearing a helmet mind (I always do) as there is a massive crack through it upon inspection this evening - better than a crack in my skull.

Still a couple of cocodamol and a medicinal brandy are doing the job at the moment.

It's shite like this that's pushes me towards having a helmet camera. It's downright dangerous that.

Hope you heal up well. Broken ribs are bloody painful. Not a lot you can do for them other than let them heal.