The grumpy thread

outlaw118

This all sounding familiar.  We hired one to take down to Devon.  I've driven quite a few Transits, including an absolutely knackered X-reg N/A diesel former minibus in my old job.  Liked them all except for the new one.  It was total shit.  I didn't notice the brakes as much as the completely binary clutch, which when you're constantly hunting for the right gear because of the enormous gap between 2nd and 3rd, didn't make for much fun.  With the one we hired, it felt like the gear ratios were for a more powerful engine map, which is exactly what I think happened...

52 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

This all sounding familiar.  We hired one to take down to Devon.  I've driven quite a few Transits, including an absolutely knackered X-reg N/A diesel former minibus in my old job.  Liked them all except for the new one.  It was total shit.  I didn't notice the brakes as much as the completely binary clutch, which when you're constantly hunting for the right gear because of the enormous gap between 2nd and 3rd, didn't make for much fun.  With the one we hired, it felt like the gear ratios were for a more powerful engine map, which is exactly what I think happened...

Gearing on this one seems "okay" though the power band being between 2800 and 3400rpm means you have to use all of them all the time! 

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

The current VW Transporter isn’t much better.

The previous couple weren't much better...whole way there I was basically praying not to get a VW!  Hoped for a Sprinter but knew with it just being a large van rather than a Luton (because they wanted £600 for the weekend for one!) that was a long shot.

To be honest this Transit is less horrible than the last Transporter I drove... though that's not saying much.

5 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

The previous couple weren't much better...whole way there I was basically praying not to get a VW!  Hoped for a Sprinter but knew with it just being a large van rather than a Luton (because they wanted £600 for the weekend for one!) that was a long shot.

To be honest this Transit is less horrible than the last Transporter I drove... though that's not saying much.

Sprinters & Crafters I find particularly dire to drive as well.

1 minute ago, dozeydustman said:

Sprinters & Crafters I find particularly dire to drive as well.

Yeah the new ones aren't great...better than most of the other rental dross I've had though.

I'd like to try a not utterly clapped out Movano (etc) one day, only ones I've driven have been from local rental places though...with the expected intergalactic mileages, electrical tape over warning lights and held together by duct tape and willpower.  The company got really snarky with me when I refused one which had both front tyres worn to and through the cords...

Generally when we're renting though these days it's through Enterprise as while the vehicles might be inherently a bit meh due to rental misery spec and "because modern" but they're always clean, actually working properly and they've never messed me about aside from one incident about 15 years ago.

Given that if I'm hiring a van I'm usually doing something important and/or stressful I just want it to work and the process to be as painless as possible...using clapped out sheds about to fall apart and/or with police markers on them from back street garages just adds to the stress!

Rental fleet van specs are strange these days...this thing has cruise control, Bluetooth stereo, sat nav, parking sensors, heated front windscreen, electric auto folding mirrors, more electronic assists than you can shake a stick at...but no air con.  C'mon guys seriously it's 2021...

3 hours ago, sierraman said:

Laid up in A&E, fell down a grate last night. Some absolute wanker had nicked the drain covers and it was dark. 

Hope you are ok.

The bother at the England game. A pity getting pissed and making a twat of yourself can't be exported - the defecit would be wiped out.

5 hours ago, MikeR said:

Some people lead a charmed life,   just seen this on FB ......

How the FKuc do they end up in a scrape like this .... And walk away ...

Screenshot_20210712-090329~2.png

There's no fucking way anyone could survive that. 

I know they did, but how? 

There is no fucking way anyone cou lkd survive that. And yet they did. It doesn't work in my head. The 2 are totally incompatible facts. And yet one isn't a fact..

4 minutes ago, Spurious said:

firstly, hope your not too bad @sierraman

Secondly, do scrap merchants not get suspicious when shit like this turns up? That or hacked off catalytic converters? Or do they just not give a fcuk and hand the cash over... 

It's not about suspicion. A lot of criminals become such because they are totally selfish and don't care about anyone outside their close associates. So they don't think what they're doing is wrong.

21 minutes ago, New POD said:

I know they did, but how? 

There is no fucking way anyone cou lkd survive that. And yet they did. It doesn't work in my head. The 2 are totally incompatible facts. And yet one isn't a fact..

I've been to a few RTCs in which I've no idea how they managed to get away unscathed. 

A rollover down an embankment into a stout looking tree, probably a bit of speed involved. Car looked a mess when I turned up and I remember thinking ' they're going to be buggered whoever they are'. But no, the driver was standing on the verge and had crawled out of the car and was waiting with a bystander. No idea how he managed that... 

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Why the hell does there seem to be some immutable law of the universe which states that no matter how many sets of feeler gauges I buy, that I will never be able to find one?

There must be at *least* five sets in my garage.

I'm the same with tape measures , I must have enough to measure the M6 somewhere

Proper first near-miss today coming home from work.

We were sent home early (yay!) so I was winding my way back, only to have someone suicidal decide to overtake a cyclist opposite me... while I'm going downhill on the curve of a NSL S-bend. As soon as I see them, they lurch out into my side while I'm doing 45MPH, so I slammed on the anchors, the tyres locked up and I went spearing and screeching into the muddy verge. This was pretty good as I would have hit the twat head on if I tried to follow the bend round. How I recovered it I don't know, I was definitely skidding about for a few yards before the tyres caught traction again. I got out to check everything was well -it was, apart from the giant brown and muddy wing- and I made my way home once again. Pretty shaken to be honest.

15 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Glad it wasn't worse. Just goes to show how important dashcams are - if you'd had a RTC it would have vindicated you in that instance.

Indeed, I'm majorly pissed off that my dashcam shat its SD card a few weeks back.

In the process of resetting the SD1's ignition timing.

Engine needs to be turned over using the crank pulley. Remove under tray. And spoiler. And radiator. And fan shroud.

Just to get a socket on the pulley...

We got a new Budgie for my Daughter and it will not SHUT THE FUCK UP.  Budgies don't have a nice song either like a Canary they squawk and chirp.

This one constantly cheeps maybe once every 3 seconds at volume for HOURS AND HOURS at end.

CHEEP
CHEEP
CHEEP
CHEEP
CHEEP
CHEEP

ALL WORK AND TOO MUCH BUDGIE MAKES CORT16 A PRETTY BOY. SQUAAAAAK