The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

This bloody shower is the gift that keeps on giving.

The bits we need have been identified... they're readily available...however it's also been identified that the core has unscrewed from the thermostat cartridge rather than the whole thing unscrewing from the valve casing.

IMG_20210704_210139.thumb.jpg.a9303505649f05d6e9f6098b1791f803.jpg

Basically the inner bit with the hex head on has come out - what should happen is the whole thing to the line around the outer edge should come out as one assembly.

This leaves a completely smooth cylinder in place with nothing you can get any purchase on.

Any bright ideas before I take a sledgehammer to the wall?  I *really* was hoping to avoid that!

Clean the threads obsessively, then smear with epoxy and reassemble; leave to set then undo. Are you sure that bit is supposed to unscrew?

2 hours ago, MikeR said:

cant people remember off the top of their heads the first 8 digits of Pi ....

ie   3.141592653

I can't remember my phone number that I have had for at least twelve years.

Or the registration for the car.

Plum bought a new dress. Turns out it's clearly been worn before and returned. It's covered in stains.

She had to email some pictures. Done, which obviously I had to do.

They didn't get any pictures.

Resent.

No pictures.

I emailed them to my address, all pictures arrived fine. Sent again.

No pictures.

I've even returned the email back to her phone, again pictures arrived.

So either they have an email client issue, or it's operator error. Either way, I'll have to be involved again at some point. Thankfully she's at work all day tomorrow.

On 7/4/2021 at 9:10 PM, Zelandeth said:

This bloody shower is the gift that keeps on giving.

The bits we need have been identified... they're readily available...however it's also been identified that the core has unscrewed from the thermostat cartridge rather than the whole thing unscrewing from the valve casing.

IMG_20210704_210139.thumb.jpg.a9303505649f05d6e9f6098b1791f803.jpg

Basically the inner bit with the hex head on has come out - what should happen is the whole thing to the line around the outer edge should come out as one assembly.

This leaves a completely smooth cylinder in place with nothing you can get any purchase on.

Any bright ideas before I take a sledgehammer to the wall?  I *really* was hoping to avoid that!

Arse! Could you posts a picture of the remains with the bit of valve that comes out removed? Might make it easier to see the full extent of the horror and make some suggestions....

1 hour ago, rusty_vw_man said:

Arse! Could you posts a picture of the remains with the bit of valve that comes out removed? Might make it easier to see the full extent of the horror and make some suggestions....

This is what should have come out.

Screenshot_20210705_111359.thumb.jpg.31487caa3b8f5471f300752dbeccbcbd.jpg

This is what I got.

IMG_20210701_153059.thumb.jpg.1951db27481f0e0794b8dbfc1aea651c.jpg

Leaving this behind.

IMG_20210705_185813.thumb.jpg.6b88e415d41564df6764d629e687695f.jpg

That disc you can see with the holes in isn't actually attached to anything so can spin freely... I've already tried jamming some pliers in there and trying to turn it.

I loaded it up with epoxy yesterday so will have another bash at getting it apart after dinner this evening.  Not expecting miracles though!

24 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

This is what should have come out.

Screenshot_20210705_111359.thumb.jpg.31487caa3b8f5471f300752dbeccbcbd.jpg

This is what I got.

IMG_20210701_153059.thumb.jpg.1951db27481f0e0794b8dbfc1aea651c.jpg

Leaving this behind.

IMG_20210705_185813.thumb.jpg.6b88e415d41564df6764d629e687695f.jpg

That disc you can see with the holes in isn't actually attached to anything so can spin freely... I've already tried jamming some pliers in there and trying to turn it.

I loaded it up with epoxy yesterday so will have another bash at getting it apart after dinner this evening.  Not expecting miracles though!

On the basis it’s broken now I’d go brutal and use a cold chisel and a hammer to pop a notch in that inner thread then try and drift it round, or as mentioned above drill a couple of strategic holes and use a angle grinder pin spanner on it…. It’s probably being held in by limescale, so there might be some mileage in soaking it in something suitably acidic first as well. 

is there any step in the outside? Could you attack it with some Stilsons? 

Failing that comprehensive home insurance cover and some matches might be easier than trying to replace the whole lot!!

The little floaty disc should be attached to the nut on the end of the bit you’ve got out as you probably know. 

Gotcha ya bastard!

IMG_20210706_180809.thumb.jpg.a5c315a599b3b581a746b1c621039e48.jpg

The epoxy idea was the winner.

I was hesitant to drill into it given I was working with relatively little meat on the area in question and I didn't want to wreck the threads or sealing surface in the housing.

Can now actually get the parts ordered (about £200 worth so I didn't want to order anything until I knew I could get it apart!) and get it sorted.

Just noticed this email:

Dear customer,

In light of our nation’s recent success in the Euros 2021 and our confidence that we will make the final for the first time in 55 years, we have taken the decision to alter our deliveries next week. 

If you normally receive a Monday delivery then you will receive that delivery on Thursday 8th instead of the 12th. If you require to make any changes then can you please make them by 9am on Wednesday.

This one off alteration to your delivery schedule will allow our staff Sunday 11th off to enjoy the celebrations. 

Best wishes, McQueens Dairies

Cheeky fuckers! I'm mindful to change my order to fuck right off, I'll get my milk from the supermarket. Their milk doesn't keep that well, so not super keen to have it on Thursday and expect it to still be ok the following Thursday when more is delivered. Nice to know you must be pissed to watch football.  

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Bloody well done! Now it's out, can you see how it should be done? I thought I saw one dog in the last pic, but couldn't make out a second.

Nope...think it's just intended to be done up tight enough at the factory that the central spindle section should be tighter than the outer...bit of a daft design to be honest.

6 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Just noticed this email:

Dear customer,

In light of our nation’s recent success in the Euros 2021 and our confidence that we will make the final for the first time in 55 years, we have taken the decision to alter our deliveries next week. 

If you normally receive a Monday delivery then you will receive that delivery on Thursday 8th instead of the 12th. If you require to make any changes then can you please make them by 9am on Wednesday.

This one off alteration to your delivery schedule will allow our staff Sunday 11th off to enjoy the celebrations. 

Cheeky fuckers! I'm mindful to change my order to fuck right off, I'll get my milk from the supermarket. Their milk doesn't keep that well, so not super keen to have it on Thursday and expect it to still be ok the following Thursday when more is delivered. Nice to know you must be pissed to watch football.  

FFS. Business is obviously good for them then. I wish I could sack off work responsibilities for such tenuous reasons.

7 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Just noticed this email:

Dear customer,

Get it from the Supermarket.

Look after your staff, yes, but the customer comes first.

McQueens deliver round my way at about 11.30pm so in July the milk will certainly be sour by the morning, especially for those who have a South facing front door.

10 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Just noticed this email:

Dear customer,

Time to fix the milk float Pat Mustard style.

On 7/3/2021 at 5:29 PM, Remspoor said:

Same in Spain the cost to change registration can be expensive.

Autonomous Community (area); Will charge 4% or 6% of the value. This is not the sale but one dreamed up by the state.

The Traffico (registration office and a few other things) charge 54.60€

Then there is the collection of the forms and filling them in.

Recently it was announced we can go to the post office to do the documentation. They have their cut too. However, in my case that would save a hours trip (each way) to Traffico.

Here in Alicante the cost for changing ownership on the Honda bike I bought was €55.15 plus an Autonomous Community charge which worked out to around 2% of my purchase price. 

Again, not so much the charge that pisses me off, but all the time you have to spend faffing about getting it done in this electronic age.

And today I saw that Zoe Ball has taken a £380,000 per year cut in pay from the BBC, down to £980,000. It was stated that she said she "felt it was inappropriate to earn so much in the middle of a pandemic".

All very noble Zoe, but you were paid that amount, you have not earnt it. There are millions of people that go out and work hard and actually earn what they are paid. Massive difference between "Pay" and "Earnings", at least in my eyes.

9 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Massive difference between "Pay" and "Earnings", at least in my eyes.

Very salient point.  

I don't have a problem with people being paid large sums of money, not at all.  Most technicians and engineers that I know who work in the public sector could earn thousands more elsewhere, but choose not to.  It's the same for politicians.

16 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Just noticed this email:

Dear customer,

I wonder if surgeons down the hospital are cancelling operations so they can have a good knees up watching the football? Or perhaps the Police should all be given the day off Sunday/Monday so they can watch the football. Absolutely ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Here in Alicante the cost for changing ownership on the Honda bike I bought was €55.15 plus an Autonomous Community charge which worked out to around 2% of my purchase price. 

Again, not so much the charge that pisses me off, but all the time you have to spend faffing about getting it done in this electronic age.

The price for cars is higher due to COdos emissions.

3 hours ago, Yank Tank said:

Very salient point.  

I don't have a problem with people being paid large sums of money, not at all.  Most technicians and engineers that I know who work in the public sector could earn thousands more elsewhere, but choose not to.  It's the same for politicians.

Me neither. Good luck to them, I don't begrudge a penny they get paid (as their employers must get a big return from them) but being paid highly as DJ on the radio is far removed from earning money as a retail or manual worker. Grump over.

On 02/07/2021 at 09:32, Bren said:

There are lots of people - especially in public services - who would happily use the virus as an excuse not to do very much.

We’ve found this purely to be in the minority at my place. Then again we have said you won’t get Covid pay (full) if you don’t supply us with a test result, just SSP. Union agreed to it.