The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

Have you a thread on this that I may have missed?

Have you checked the electrics, (now waiting for the usual wise cracks about French form others)🙄

A bad earth or a coil or even a condenser can cause intermittent faults like you describe.

I doubt if it is fuel related as they are usually indicated by a more permanent issue.  Even an issue with any diaphragm, in the carb, will cause a permanent fault.

Every start with the new carb consists of around 20 seconds of constant cranking, then this happens:

Doesn't seem electrical but it may well be.

Once it's started, it's fine. I can even run the fuel bowl dry and it'll restart once plumbed in as if nothing has ever happened. I may need to employ @Talbot's thimble-of-fuel trick again, but the inconsistency in how the car starts means I might not get any clear cut results.

The air con on my TT 225 failed so I took it to a well known rapid fitting company for a re-gas (free if it all leaks out). That wasn't the problem, so I agreed to let them look into it. The problem was in the fusebox, which also prevented power getting to the cooling fan. They found this out by letting it overheat, crack a cooling pipe and dump its coolant...

I am now waiting for them to fix* it as its immobile and am fearing the impact on the head gasket.

When I do pick it up, what (apart from 'mayo' under the oil filler cap) should I be looking for, especially as I won't be in a position to drive it very much over the next couple of months? Anyone also have ideas as to my rights in this situation?

3 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Every start with the new carb consists of around 20 seconds of constant cranking, then this happens:

Doesn't seem electrical but it may well be.

Once it's started, it's fine. I can even run the fuel bowl dry and it'll restart once plumbed in as if nothing has ever happened. I may need to employ @Talbot's thimble-of-fuel trick again, but the inconsistency in how the car starts means I might not get any clear cut results.

How does it start with just a Gravity feed to the carb? For me the cranking in the video  cranking is not excessive.

4 hours ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

A little update.

Remember i am in italy.

My trusty ford is sold, we did 0 to 160000 kms together , a sad day really .

The car must have know when i washed it last week for sale, so yesterday wrecked its battery.

This morning a fast, pay full price be thankful the one shop round here had one in stock €90  battery later everything was back to normal. So down €90 on deal but still happy.

Now the fun bit .

2 ltr petrol 145 hp. The  cost of italian bureaucracy to change ownership,  bearing in mind i sold 2009 focus for €2500, wait for it cos you will all be shocked.

€700 !

Seven hundred euros to change ownership of 12 year old car. !

To be agreed between parties but normally the buyer pays this, in my case they did thankfully.

Thoughts ?

This is why italians keep their cars a long time and hate their systems.

Same in Spain the cost to change registration can be expensive.

Autonomous Community (area); Will charge 4% or 6% of the value. This is not the sale but one dreamed up by the state.

The Traffico (registration office and a few other things) charge 54.60€

Then there is the collection of the forms and filling them in.

Recently it was announced we can go to the post office to do the documentation. They have their cut too. However, in my case that would save a hours trip (each way) to Traffico.

41 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

How does it start with just a Gravity feed to the carb? For me the cranking in the video  cranking is not excessive.

It's excessive compared to what it was like on the old carb. It shouldn't take just under a minute to get an engine started in an ambient temperature of 20 degrees C. As for gravity feeding it, it's the same story as with the pump hooked up. It no go.

I managed to address a few vacuum leaks, one at the manifold gasket and one on the emissions control system. I reverted the timing back to where it was (although I'd like to time it properly one day). I cranked it over a few times and it started rather well, but the real test will be tomorrow morning. I drove it around a bit and the torque on these new jets is amazing. Acceleration at 50MPH on an 11% incline hill, so that's a nice improvement.

You write new carb. Is that as in brand - brand new or new to the car and second hand?

Are the jets the same between the original carb? is there a small diaphragm inside the carbs.

Is it an auto choke? If so was that changed?

Have you checked the position of the throttle? Doe one sit at the same location as the other?

Why did you change carbs?

I really know nothing about these lovely looking cars. So I have to ask what may be silly questions.

If you have not got a thread about this maybe star one or this will end up fill up grumpy thread. That may make members grump!

Just now, Remspoor said:

You write new carb. Is that as in brand - brand new or new to the car and second hand?

Are the jets the same between the original carb? is there a small diaphragm inside the carbs.

Is it an auto choke? If so was that changed?

Have you checked the position of the throttle? Doe one sit at the same location as the other?

Why did you change carbs?

I really know nothing about these lovely looking cars. So I have to ask what may be silly questions.

If you have not got a thread about this maybe star one or this will end up fill up grumpy thread. That may make members grump!

Step this way dear sir:

5 hours ago, Dr_Slow said:

The air con on my TT 225 failed so I took it to a well known rapid fitting company for a re-gas (free if it all leaks out). That wasn't the problem, so I agreed to let them look into it. The problem was in the fusebox, which also prevented power getting to the cooling fan. They found this out by letting it overheat, crack a cooling pipe and dump its coolant...

I am now waiting for them to fix* it as its immobile and am fearing the impact on the head gasket.

When I do pick it up, what (apart from 'mayo' under the oil filler cap) should I be looking for, especially as I won't be in a position to drive it very much over the next couple of months? Anyone also have ideas as to my rights in this situation?

My suggestion will be twofold. First, check the coolant expansion tank for fine copper bits indicating they've slopped k-seal into it. I'm not sure if other products like Steel-seal have any visible residue indicating they've contaminated the coolant with a quick fix product. Secondly, get one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124375564710?epid=15031188540&hash=item1cf55c81a6:g:Y98AAOSw8fpfW2NC

And use it immediately - before they can get anywhere near it to contaminate the coolant with magic gloop. This will tell you fairly definitively if the head gasket has gone and is leaking combustion gasses to coolant. The blue liquid is reusable by the way, don't chuck it out once you've used some. if it goes yellowy-green then there is combustion gas in the coolant, but sit it on the side for a while, away from the combustion gas and it goes blue again.

I'd be demanding they get they pay for you to have the head gasket done at a trusted 3rd party mechanic, they ought to be insured if they're a proper outfit. Don't let them do it in-house (see point 1 above)

Can anyone tell me why Motortrend and hotrod magazine are such absolute dick heads?
First off they limit the content on available to europe
Hotrod magazine have blocked content from the EU (all other US websites have the same issues around GDPR but still allow access)
Now motor trend have pulled out the EU so there's no access to some of the good shows the made like RoadKill etc.
I can only presume they'll fuck it all up in some way and all those shows will go down the toilet.
I watch motortrend through Amazon - still on there.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

This is why italians keep their cars a long time and hate their systems.

Is this also why the (secondhand) cars are so cheap? I'm thinking of travelling from Portugal to Italy in a couple of years, to pick up a modern-ish E Class...

Thinking on building a fast traffic deterent ..catapault and a platefull of 2p coins ..attached to the fence..for the next convoy of Porsches..Ferrari and Lotus..all new..that speed past my blind exit-single track road at 80mph...its either that or walk down the middle of the road with a wheelie bin...

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Someone locally decided that because some men kicked a ball better than some other men last night, it would be a good idea to set off a load of ridiculously loud fireworks. The sleeping kids and local dogs/wildlife really appreciated them, thanks

I thought they were great, they properly lit up the night sky.

This bloody shower is the gift that keeps on giving.

The bits we need have been identified... they're readily available...however it's also been identified that the core has unscrewed from the thermostat cartridge rather than the whole thing unscrewing from the valve casing.

IMG_20210704_210139.thumb.jpg.a9303505649f05d6e9f6098b1791f803.jpg

Basically the inner bit with the hex head on has come out - what should happen is the whole thing to the line around the outer edge should come out as one assembly.

This leaves a completely smooth cylinder in place with nothing you can get any purchase on.

Any bright ideas before I take a sledgehammer to the wall?  I *really* was hoping to avoid that!

14 hours ago, Rab said:

Thinking on building a fast traffic deterent ..catapault and a platefull of 2p coins ..attached to the fence..for the next convoy of Porsches..Ferrari and Lotus..all new..that speed past my blind exit-single track road at 80mph...its either that or walk down the middle of the road with a wheelie bin...

... or an old mannequin wearing a hi-vis stood at the side of the road as seen here in Pentrefoelas on the A5. He used to sport a peaked cap and be pointing an old hair dryer at oncoming traffic but even as he is now he causes a fair few speeders to slow down.

164268174_IMG_20210704_1443321.thumb.jpg.12cdca30252d62c07948ea59acb13140.jpg

52 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

Remove the inner part, weld a big nut on and apply breaker bar?

The immediate proximity to plywood is a worry where heat is concerned.  Would probably have to braze to it given it's brass... though I am kinda tempted to just try to braze the middle bit in...after all I'm not going to make it any more broken at this stage!

Sigh...

Seems like selling/swapping the Peugeot 407 is more work than I can be arsed with.

Even similarly aged Citroens seem to gain more interest. 

I think I'll honestly just keep the bloody thing until it blows its engine and scrapped.

Several attempts over the last year at punting it have all failed. So fuck it. I'll keep it.

Not having a go at anyone in particular. Just the circumstances are a tad repetative and midly annoying now.

First world problems and all that.

2 minutes ago, Lord Sterling said:

Sigh...

Seems like selling/swapping the Peugeot 407 is more work than I can be arsed with.

Even similarly aged Citroens seem to gain more interest. 

I think I'll honestly just keep the bloody thing until it blows its engine and scrapped.

Several attempts over the last year at punting it have all failed. So fuck it. I'll keep it.

Not having a go at anyone in particular. Just the circumstances are a tad repetative and midly annoying now.

First world problems and I apologise for being mildly annoyed.

I don't think it's just you, the market is all over the place right now without any sense.  Values are all over the place. I seen a 2012 Renault Megane on a dealers front for £1595 quid. It looked clean. How can anyone sell an older car when for an extra 5-600 quid you can get a sub 10 year old car.

On 04/07/2021 at 22:57, Spurious said:

I don't think it's just you, the market is all over the place right now without any sense.  Values are all over the place. I seen a 2012 Renault Megane on a dealers front for £1595 quid. It looked clean. How can anyone sell an older car when for an extra 5-600 quid you can get a sub 10 year old car.

Nah. Personally it's bigger than that. It's a quest to own a certain make of car. I wanted to treat myself. Today there had been several requests of interest in my Peugeot, but all requests fell flat on their face.

Every single time I make an effort to buy that certain make of car, it falls flat on its face, I'm too slow, too late, too poor or the circumstances just block my efforts. It's been around several years that I've tried and got absolutely nowhere and someone else gets to enjoy that car. I thought the Pug, being newer and worth a bit more would give me some leeway. Clearly not.

I've kind of reached the end of my tether with it now.

Fuck it. I'll carry on with the boring 'an car' Pug. At least its anonymous. 

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

This bloody shower is the gift that keeps on giving.

The bits we need have been identified... they're readily available...however it's also been identified that the core has unscrewed from the thermostat cartridge rather than the whole thing unscrewing from the valve casing.

IMG_20210704_210139.thumb.jpg.a9303505649f05d6e9f6098b1791f803.jpg

Basically the inner bit with the hex head on has come out - what should happen is the whole thing to the line around the outer edge should come out as one assembly.

This leaves a completely smooth cylinder in place with nothing you can get any purchase on.

Any bright ideas before I take a sledgehammer to the wall?  I *really* was hoping to avoid that!

Doesn't sound right. Buy a new 'complete' one, remove the cartridge and replace?

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

The immediate proximity to plywood is a worry where heat is concerned.  Would probably have to braze to it given it's brass... though I am kinda tempted to just try to braze the middle bit in...after all I'm not going to make it any more broken at this stage!

Drill two holes and use an angle grinder wrench to remove it?