The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Just now, Bren said:

There are lots of people - especially in public services - who would happily use the virus as an excuse not to do very much.

Not the vast majority of the public service staff I (and @Floatylight) represent.  Still, sweeping and inaccurate generalisations are an easy alternative to fact-based argument...

3 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Not the vast majority of the public service staff I (and @Floatylight) represent.  Still, sweeping and inaccurate generalisations are an easy alternative to fact-based argument...

I did'nt say the majority. And I work in public services as well.

When it comes to the staff at the local tips around here, I can ABSOLUTELY believe that rather than properly risk-assess the situation and do what would actually be helpful, useful and proportional,  they would happily use it as an excuse to close the site and "self-isolate" for a couple of weeks.  On full pay of course.  I've witnessed several incidents of people who asked for some assistance, and the attitude of all the staff there was inexcusable. 

8 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Follow up to my previous leak post... eventually figured out it was actually nothing more than the seal between the far side of the tap and the tub itself having failed...

1823598279_IMG_20210701_1629592.thumb.jpg.eeb5a91054700562a7641387ed734007.jpgNever, EVER buy a house that has been owned by an interior designer...

Or one which has appeared on a daytime tv makeover makeitruined show. 

Not our house, fortunately. 

maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Why is my local eurocrapparts sales counter so sloooow for click & collect?

TADTS.

No idea how they can be so slow when they have already picked the parts, laid them aside and sent you a text. 

Then there's the queue of folk in front that all think they're Arthur Daley but have no clue what they're in for, spend 15 minutes at the desk asking for loads of parts they don't have, then leave with an air freshener.

Hate the place. 

Euro Car Parts love those idiots as they don't have to apply any discount for them. Crawley has so many stupid customers they opened up a second place half a mile down the road. Recently saw one walk out with a headlamp cleaning kit asking people in the queue how to use it as his car was right outside the door, everyone turned around looked at the car headlight and immediately told him that's condensation and corrosion you need a new headlight.
He marched straight back in because f*ck us and our help he only queues once, to get a headlight.

FFS.

Why don't I learn to never let a car sit unused.

Just went out to the Tahoe, which was only last used 11 days ago (completing a 420 mile roundtrip with ease) to find the battery completely flat. 

Was about to take it for a clean before loading up and heading off to the American Auto Club Summer Nationals, bloody looking forward to a weekend of camping and cars. 

Took an age to find one of the two sodding battery chargers I have too. Anyway charging battery (and a spare from the corvette) and hoping I can make it today still but suspect I will just have to go over tomorrow instead. No doubt whatever I do will result in sitting in a field on Sunday with a flat battery.

UPDATE:

Less grumpy now. Have fitted half charged corvette battery (smaller than Tahoe but still designed to run a chevy smallblock so should cope). Now have car that will start. Also improved mood from source of battery drain being quickly identified. My delightful* son had left a map light on, he does love to push buttons! At least I don't have the delights of trying to track down a parasitic draw :-) 

Now to load the filthy car and head off to a show. Will all be good with a beer in my hand later.

UPDATE 2

PXL_20210702_153928618_MP.thumb.jpg.1d19b7f8984078c17fb1676699ebaba5.jpg

Packed and ready.

PXL_20210702_183524724_MP.thumb.jpg.f5f1d847cb15d6bed91ac21525375ab4.jpg

Camp set up.

Now got beer and relaxing. Grumpiness done. Proper battery on charge at home. Wife coming tomorrow and will bring it so all is right with the world.

19 hours ago, cobblers said:

We need to move house. Been looking for over a year. We can buy, or rent. I'm easy. We have what I would have considered a "generous" budget, 18 months ago. But locally the property market is just fucking ludicrous and anything with a parking space and any kind of garden is just impossible.

The last place we looked at was lovely and we immediately said we'd have it and if required pay a whole years rent up front. Unfortunately, this wasn't enough to secure it, and someone else ended up with it.

This morning a mediocre house came on rightmove, to let. In a mediocre place. shabby decor at what I would have called "too much" money. But it was close to work and would have been fairly practical for us, so I was prepared to pay a bit over the odds and compromise. 

We rang to book a viewing. It'd been online for 4 hours.

"We do 20 viewings a day and have two days solidly booked, sorry. Shall we put you on the waiting list?"

ffs!

You need to get on a phone list of the agents serving the area you are looking in. Then they will phone you as soon as the property is on the books. Waiting for something on RM when the market is active is just not going to work.

23 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

What's that dripping noise I can hear from in the utility room?

Sounds like it's coming from under the bath in the main bathroom... let's pull the panel off and look.

Oh balls...water dripping from above, hitting the pipework where I've circled.

237437490_IMG_20210701_1629372.thumb.jpg.651aeaeb451464c732336944975144ff.jpg

Zero access to that area as it's behind the bath...money is currently on the connection between the supply and the tap on the bath (which is more or less directly above there) is to blame.  God only knows how they installed it!

How messily installed the plastic pipework is here makes me skin crawl... I'd rip the whole lot out and do a tidy job in copper if I had my way!

Seeing that there has already been a whole in the ceiling  I would just cut another (larger) hole  in the ceiling and repair the leak or sort out that mess.

Fucking car won't start well at all today, meaning the jets weren't the problem at all. At least it runs better. I'm at my wits' end- I replace that made the car run unreliably (but would start) with one that makes it start unreliably (but runs perfectly). I just don't understand what is the problem. The only two things with the fuelling/ignition system I haven't touched are the pump and the ignition timing.

If it consistently was a pig to start then it's be easier to diagnose, but sometimes it starts normally as if there isn't an issue. Unfortunately, it's not like this most of the time. For example, today, like most days, it kind of starts then dies, and won't restart without a good 10 seconds of cranking. Once it's been running for a bit and it's shut off, I can literally turn the key and it fires up immediately. WTAF? I wish I knew what was actually going on.

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

Fucking car won't start well at all today, meaning the jets weren't the problem at all. At least it runs better. I'm at my wits' end- I replace that made the car run unreliably (but would start) with one that makes it start unreliably (but runs perfectly). I just don't understand what is the problem. The only two things with the fuelling/ignition system I haven't touched are the pump and the ignition timing.

If it consistently was a pig to start then it's be easier to diagnose, but sometimes it starts normally as if there isn't an issue. Unfortunately, it's not like this most of the time. For example, today, like most days, it kind of starts then dies, and won't restart without a good 10 seconds of cranking. Once it's been running for a bit and it's shut off, I can literally turn the key and it fires up immediately. WTAF? I wish I knew what was actually going on.

Brûle le

11 hours ago, Talbot said:

When it comes to the staff at the local tips around here, I can ABSOLUTELY believe that rather than properly risk-assess the situation and do what would actually be helpful, useful and proportional,  they would happily use it as an excuse to close the site and "self-isolate" for a couple of weeks.  On full pay of course.  I've witnessed several incidents of people who asked for some assistance, and the attitude of all the staff there was inexcusable. 

Sounds like the ones here in Sheffield.

What great timing,  got a keen buyer form my ford focus coming round early tomorrow morning, just been out after a week and found it won't start,  first time un 11 years this has happened. Battery voltage also seems fine at 12.6v.

Strange electrical goings on in the car, i hope i can find a new battery gast tomorrow morning. Fat chance, i live in the sticks in italy !

Would need 6 meter long jump cables. Taking the battery out of wifes company modern will i am sure cause headaches.

I will sleep on it.

I feel a lost sale coming on.

Can anyone tell me why Motortrend and hotrod magazine are such absolute dick heads?

First off they limit the content on available to europe

Hotrod magazine have blocked content from the EU (all other US websites have the same issues around GDPR but still allow access)

Now motor trend have pulled out the EU so there's no access to some of the good shows the made like RoadKill etc.

I can only presume they'll fuck it all up in some way and all those shows will go down the toilet.

52 minutes ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

What great timing,  got a keen buyer form my ford focus coming round early tomorrow morning, just been out after a week and found it won't start,  first time un 11 years this has happened. Battery voltage also seems fine at 12.6v.

Strange electrical goings on in the car, i hope i can find a new battery gast tomorrow morning. Fat chance, i live in the sticks in italy !

Would need 6 meter long jump cables. Taking the battery out of wifes company modern will i am sure cause headaches.

I will sleep on it.

Cancel the sale, and it will run like a dream.

17 hours ago, Talbot said:

Horsham by any chance 🤔

5 hours ago, cort16 said:

Can anyone tell me why Motortrend and hotrod magazine are such absolute dick heads?

First off they limit the content on available to europe

Hotrod magazine have blocked content from the EU (all other US websites have the same issues around GDPR but still allow access)

Now motor trend have pulled out the EU so there's no access to some of the good shows the made like RoadKill etc.

I can only presume they'll fuck it all up in some way and all those shows will go down the toilet.

The US and EU have fallen out big time over data rules, and some US sites are so keyed up to track users they don’t work in the EU.

I suspect American corporate lawyers being risk averse for the reason you can’t access certain sites anymore. 

We have just agreed ‘data equivalence’ with the EU, so basically the U.K. will stick to GDPR and likely keep in step with EU changes in the future.

Someone who knows far more about the interest than I will tell you how to set things up so you can pretend to be from outside the EU, people do this to access US streaming networks with region specific content. 

5 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

The US and EU have fallen out big time over data rules, and some US sites are so keyed up to track users they don’t work in the EU.

I suspect American corporate lawyers being risk averse for the reason you can’t access certain sites anymore. 

We have just agreed ‘data equivalence’ with the EU, so basically the U.K. will stick to GDPR and likely keep in step with EU changes in the future.

Someone who knows far more about the interest than I will tell you how to set things up so you can pretend to be from outside the EU, people do this to access US streaming networks with region specific content. 

I know GDPR has caused problem for sites outside the EU but I can still visit the new york times website, wired.com etc they just put up the normal cookies tracking prompt you get on every other site.  

As for motor trend they've been happy enough to take your money but you can't get access to the half the shows on their platform including the ones they make themselves. They're probably pulling the plug as european subscriptions dwindled because of this but they caused the problem themselves.

16 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Have you a thread on this that I may have missed?

Have you checked the electrics, (now waiting for the usual wise cracks about French form others)🙄

A bad earth or a coil or even a condenser can cause intermittent faults like you describe.

I doubt if it is fuel related as they are usually indicated by a more permanent issue.  Even an issue with any diaphragm, in the carb, will cause a permanent fault.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:20 PM, Barry Cade said:

This. 

I'm going to be replacing the MIL's  clutch next week, as no garage in the area will do it, and the ones that would even give a price were in the region of 6-700 quid.

This example of an exotic,rare and difficult to work on car to justify this lack of enthusiasm and big price?

A 2010 Focus.. 1.6 petrol

Had a car on the back of the truck on Saturday, puncture no spare.. rip in sidewall, so transported the old guy and car round the local tyre fitting chains. He was distraught as he was going to hospital to visit his very ill wife.

Not one place had a tyre of any brand on the shelf. 

This rare exotic car which required a tyre to be specially ordered?

A 2013 Ford Fiesta Titanium..

I Despair.. I really do.

I get similar everytime I drop my car (1999 Mondeo) in at the garage. The bloke who runs it is a nice fella but it's always 'if I can get the parts' even though all consumables are freely available from multiple motor factors. 

14 hours ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

I will sleep on it.

A little update.

Remember i am in italy.

My trusty ford is sold, we did 0 to 160000 kms together , a sad day really .

The car must have know when i washed it last week for sale, so yesterday wrecked its battery.

This morning a fast, pay full price be thankful the one shop round here had one in stock €90  battery later everything was back to normal. So down €90 on deal but still happy.

Now the fun bit .

2 ltr petrol 145 hp. The  cost of italian bureaucracy to change ownership,  bearing in mind i sold 2009 focus for €2500, wait for it cos you will all be shocked.

€700 !

Seven hundred euros to change ownership of 12 year old car. !

To be agreed between parties but normally the buyer pays this, in my case they did thankfully.

Thoughts ?

This is why italians keep their cars a long time and hate their systems.