The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Brain dump on the AS hive mind coming up.

I'm seriously thinking about saving some money up and just launching the P6 at the nearest garage. 

I want to do at least some of the work myself, but I'm not equipped to do a lot of the suspension work, and I seriously don't have enough time to focus on it until the winter. 

Just reading through the workshop book for it, as I was going to do the brakes soon: "Remove the front hub as described". Oh. Cack. Bollocks to that, I'm not pulling bearings out and setting end floats etc, just for the sake of changing the discs. 

One hand, I really need to learn this stuff and the only way to learn it is to do it, I feel like a bit of a cheat if I just chuck it at someone else. And it becomes a vicious cycle when I end up with the same feeling on the next job, and the one after that, etc, etc.

On the other hand, I can't dedicate the time, and I don't want the aggro from myself and dad when I inevitably make a total raging horlicks of it. It's only* money, I'd much rather be able to make proper use of the car than be sitting there finding excuses not to touch it. If I pay to get the car to a happier state, then when new jobs come up I can look to tackle them on my own at my own pace, rather than having a wall of work I definitely cannot do hanging over my shoulders. 

Sorry, I just needed to write that all down, I know it's not a grump per se but anyway. As you were. 

21 minutes ago, Crackers said:

I'm seriously thinking about saving some money up and just launching the P6 at the nearest garage. 

I want to do at least some of the work myself, but I'm not equipped to do a lot of the suspension work, and I seriously don't have enough time to focus on it until the winter. 

Just reading through the workshop book for it, as I was going to do the brakes soon: "Remove the front hub as described". Oh. Cack. Bollocks to that, I'm not pulling bearings out and setting end floats etc, just for the sake of changing the discs. 

One hand, I really need to learn this stuff and the only way to learn it is to do it, I feel like a bit of a cheat if I just chuck it at someone else. And it becomes a vicious cycle when I end up with the same feeling on the next job, and the one after that, etc, etc.

On the other hand, I can't dedicate the time, and I don't want the aggro from myself and dad when I inevitably make a total raging horlicks of it. It's only* money, I'd much rather be able to make proper use of the car than be sitting there finding excuses not to touch it. If I pay to get the car to a happier state, then when new jobs come up I can look to tackle them on my own at my own pace, rather than having a wall of work I definitely cannot do hanging over my shoulders. 

Sorry, I just needed to write that all down, I know it's not a grump per se but anyway. As you were. 

I wonder if part of the issue is just the sheer gradient your trying to go at here

for someone trying to learn the ropes, a Rover P6 is a bit up there!

I mean I cant even get a bloody Invacar on the road and they are positively simple and easy, even compared to most regular cars

(ok to be fair to myself she is kept even further afield then you are from the P6 is and I dont have any means of personal transport to get to her otherwise LOL)

so I cant even imagine trying to take on a P6 knowing your in similar shoes to myself, so massive kudos there :)

so I wonder if what might be worth doing is just as you say saving up and getting the P6 sorted at a garage if you can, so you know its sorted and something you can put out of mind

then in the meantime get a simpler project car you can then cut your teeth on, something you can get nice and experienced and dont mind cocking up on along the way

so that when/if the P6 throws a wobble at you further down the road you will be better equipped both physically in that you have good number of tools on hand already

and mentally prepared 

from having fixed up the aforementioned simpler Project car

I mean its just a really good excuse to get another Pre 1980's British car :) 

7 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I wonder if part of the issue is just the sheer gradient your trying to go at here

Yeah, you make a good point. I don't think it's necessary due to the unusual* design of the car, as these jobs could come up on anything, I think it's just the sheer number of related jobs that need doing, of which I'm not really kitted out to do most. Let's be honest, this many bushings (etc) would still be a right pain in the ass for a lot of competent* home mechanics. 

*which I am not!

Hence why I'm thinking about getting the big (and expensive 😑) jobs done professionally, then I can do the remaining smaller fettling/tinkering/improving jobs that I'm actively looking forward to. 

Almost set my place on fire.

I had a gas blow touch which used a propane bottle, one of the long thin ones.

The torch is a few years old and it recently stopped working. I tried to purchase a new one but all I could find was ones which use the dumpy round canisters.

I decided to take the torch apart and clean it. I used brake cleaner as it usually is quite good at that sort of thing.

Reassembled and the thing worked. Closed the valve and relit it. It worked. Closed the valve and then after a second or tow the bloody thing caught fire. I dumped it very quickly. Ran inside shouting to the wife get the fire extinguisher. We have a number of the industrial sized ones around the house as the house has a fair bit of wood in the construction plus the furniture and a wood pile staked for the open fire.

One quick blast that the gas was no longer burning. Boy do those things make a mess. Lucky this was outside in the front patio. Had to change my under wear as I was really scared that the canister would explore.

I am so grumpy at myself. Never again will I be stupid enough to try and repair a gas torch.

Chap across the road has a gardener in. Day one parked almost oposite my 75 - which lives on the street - just about in everybodies way & blocking another blokes drive. I had to nip out & when I got back he'd parked directly opposite so I had to park elsewhere. Day two the wife was out in the Rover all day, he parked opposite. This morning the 75 was back in its spot & he finally managed to run two wheels up the kerb. 'Sorted the parking' he announced cheerfully. I wonder if he thought of it himself or if he had to phone a friend.

Just found out that another team member has handed in his notice.  From a team of 11 we are now down to 5, of whom one is currently signed off sick, and I am the only full timer left.

The "solution" proposed by senior management - to move everything offshore - is not working at all because the people in the offshore team are f***ing useless.

And I forgot again to change my details following last night's AS Zoom call, so I logged into a meeting attended by my head of department with my name showing as "wuvvum", which made me look a twat.

FFS.  I used to like this job.

1 hour ago, barefoot said:

Chap across the road has a gardener in. Day one parked almost oposite my 75 - which lives on the street - just about in everybodies way & blocking another blokes drive. I had to nip out & when I got back he'd parked directly opposite so I had to park elsewhere. Day two the wife was out in the Rover all day, he parked opposite. This morning the 75 was back in its spot & he finally managed to run two wheels up the kerb. 'Sorted the parking' he announced cheerfully. I wonder if he thought of it himself or if he had to phone a friend.

I must be the only person, in our road that won't park with wheels on the pavement.  

It's not wide, but there's loads of space at the end of the cul de sac, and most people have off road parking, so there's no need. And yet people block the pavement to pedestrians. 

On 6/28/2021 at 10:24 PM, Crackers said:

You can actually get your discs skimmed whilst still “ in situ”…… 

My failbook feed has had an increasing number of adverts appear for gambling sites lately which was pissing me off, I clicked on one and ticked "hide ad", I was then asked to choose from a list of reasons why, I chose  " sensitive issue" which I guess someone who has had gambling issues ( I have not) would choose. I shit you not the feed has been machine gunning every possible gambling option known to man at me since, it must be X 5 what was coming through previously......what a fucking cunty thing to do 

12 minutes ago, omegod said:

My failbook feed has had an increasing number of adverts appear for gambling sites lately which was pissing me off, I clicked on one and ticked "hide ad", I was then asked to choose from a list of reasons why, I chose  " sensitive issue" which I guess someone who has had gambling issues ( I have not) would choose. I shit you not the feed has been machine gunning every possible gambling option known to man at me since, it must be X 5 what was coming through previously......what a fucking cunty thing to do 

Fuck Facebook. Not even a little bit, like fully fuck it. The shit they get up to is unreal.

Falsified their video view statistics, causing hundreds of companies to shift their business strategy, ultimately causing them to fail once it became clear people weren't actually watching their videos on Facebook. https://www.ccn.com/facebook-lied-about-video-metrics/

They manipulated what you were shown in your feed to test how it could affect you. They specifically targeted people they thought may be depressed in an attempt to make them more depressed. Seems like they may be doing that to you with the gambling ads. Likely you've been tagged as a gambler. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/30/facebook-sad-manipulating-emotions-socially-responsible-company

Zuckerberg helms a company he's shaped in his image. This isn't accidental, the man has no ethics.

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb fucks.

I've been in this position.

You become the whipping boy as you're the only one physically there for them to take their frustrations out on.

I agree with getting out and would be working on finding a new job at warp speed. When it all finally falls apart, and it will, you don't want to be around when the witch hunt takes place.

Sorry for being so negative.

9 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

I'd agree, but contingent on having somewhere to get in to first. Then very much fuck them off at speed.

Beware that the everyday shit doesn't impact your mood, so that job searching and interviews become difficult. 

Talking of jobs. I had that teams interview last week. 9 days ago. This was my old boss asking me if I was interested in a job working for him.

Interview didn't go great as his boss, was working off a different job requirement. 

Spoke to him after and I got the impression, he was going to tell his boss, that he should be allowed to make his own decisions.  So 8 days later. Nothing. 

I was in 2 minds to put my CV forward anyway, so nothing lost. 

However it's got me thinking about my career.  Today I applied for a job at the Manufacturing Technology Centre, which looks interesting.  Pay is do-able.

It's local, although the commute would be into the centre of Liverpool, next to paddys wigwam, so a bit of a pain. 

18 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Just found out that another team member has handed in his notice.  From a team of 11 we are now down to 5, of whom one is currently signed off sick, and I am the only full timer left.  The "solution" proposed by senior management - to move everything offshore - is not working at all because the people in the offshore team are f***ing useless.

How easy is it to speak to your senior management about this?  Is it possible to just knock on someone's door and have a 5/10 minute sensible chat about the issue, or are they completely invisible to you?

If the former, then they might appreciate your frank, reasonable and constructive comments.  If the latter, it sounds like you might need to get out as soon as you can.  You'll end up still being expected to do the work of the entire team, and get shit from management when you can't complete that absolutely impossible task.

22 minutes ago, Talbot said:

How easy is it to speak to your senior management about this?  Is it possible to just knock on someone's door and have a 5/10 minute sensible chat about the issue, or are they completely invisible to you?

If the former, then they might appreciate your frank, reasonable and constructive comments.  If the latter, it sounds like you might need to get out as soon as you can.  You'll end up still being expected to do the work of the entire team, and get shit from management when you can't complete that absolutely impossible task.

The problem is that there is senior management and senior management.  The senior managers in the Norwich office are quite approachable, but unfortunately decisions on issues like staffing policies are made way up in the gods - it's a global firm with over 60,000 employees so the REALLY senior managers don't have time to listen to minnows like me.

Interestingly, one of our main competitors is pulling their operations back onshore, having tried the offshoring method some years ago and found that it didn't work.  Which is encouraging*.

Funnily enough, today is 10 years since I joined the company - it's traditional to have a small celebration at that point, but nobody is really in the mood...

Given the rate of staff attrition I would expect there's a red flashing light on some senior management information dashboard as well as concerns in HR. It doesn't reflect well on the latter if all the staff have disappeared and it also puts their nice comfy jobs at risk.

It may be that the problem has been identified and a search for a solution underway but you're too far down the food chain to be told it. I had this at times, my staff would complain bitterly about things but I couldn't tell them about the plans to fix them. I could hint but that was it.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

it's a global firm with over 60,000 employees

Based on my previous experience, I'm very sorry to hear that.  Upper management will likely not give a fuck about the issues of one small team like that.  It shouldn't be that way, but reality says it is.

It's also staggering just how much of a fuck-up can be made by a company of that sort of size.  I've a story to tell there, but it'll have to wait.  Plus I'd have to name the company in question for it to make sense, and I probably shouldn't do that.

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

The problem is that there is senior management and senior management.  The senior managers in the Norwich office are quite approachable, but unfortunately decisions on issues like staffing policies are made way up in the gods - it's a global firm with over 60,000 employees so the REALLY senior managers don't have time to listen to minnows like me.

Interestingly, one of our main competitors is pulling their operations back onshore, having tried the offshoring method some years ago and found that it didn't work.  Which is encouraging*.

Funnily enough, today is 10 years since I joined the company - it's traditional to have a small celebration at that point, but nobody is really in the mood...

They will be recruiting then and might consider someone with relevant experience?

23 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

They will be recruiting then and might consider someone with relevant experience?

I did half-arsedly apply to them a few years ago but it didn't get very far as their office is in Ipswich and the time / cost of commuting was going to be prohibitive.  That might of course have changed though in these strange new remote-working times we find ourselves in.

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Based on my previous experience, I'm very sorry to hear that.  Upper management will likely not give a fuck about the issues of one small team like that.  It shouldn't be that way, but reality says it is.

It's also staggering just how much of a fuck-up can be made by a company of that sort of size.  I've a story to tell there, but it'll have to wait.  Plus I'd have to name the company in question for it to make sense, and I probably shouldn't do that.

Sometimes it can make sense viewed through a prism of share options and the share price. Run it into the ground over, say, five years to boost the share price, exercise your options and leave a multi millionaire.

Shortly afterwards the firm is recognised as a smoking wreck but you've got your money. One of the worst aspects of capitalism.