The grumpy thread

outlaw118

45 minutes ago, Parky said:

Well despite having spent hundreds of dollars, a couple of months of tests, exams, drug testing, reference checking, psychometrics and classroom exercises (all of which were passed with flying colours) I was expecting my NZ Police contract this week.  

Except.....“We noticed you declared you have Crohn’s disease.  Sadly we cannot accept your application and your offer has been withdrawn”

There are not enough profanities in the world.  This month I pulled out of a financial adviser role as the hours and pay kept getting worse with every conversation, was told I had a role secured with another firm who subsequently pulled it when the person I was replacing decided not to leave, made it to the final two (out of 280) for a fucking call centre job and now find the job I had secured is now gone.  Vanished just like that.

Another admin role on the Covid 19 roll out is on the cards but that keeps moving too.  Honestly, there just aren’t enough swear words in the English language.  I might have to learn Ukrainian so I can develop some new ones.

The missus has been hassling me to get work so we can get properly settled and secure for the kids benefit.  She will be sympathetic but I know she is gonna be pissed.  

I didn’t ask for Crohns.  I did nothing to encourage it.  It’s probably been triggered by the fucking milk I was forced to drink as a kid before lactose intolerance was a thing but I doubt I can sue my primary school or the late seventies government now.  Thank fuck I don’t suffer from depression.  Oh hang on, yes I do.  This is going to be the beginning of a very very dark period

That is a piss-poor reason for denying a work contract

I sent it tonight to make a video of the Pontiac.

The gearbox decided to be a complete shit and not change gear right a number of times and then just as I was about to re-shoot it with the last of the sunlight, I got stopped by someone who wanted to talk at length about the car.

I really do need to set the tappets, that's all you can hear in the film... I'll pull the valve block out AGAIN and try get rid of the lip that is causing the shuttle valve to stick.

Phil

3 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

That is a piss-poor reason for denying a work contract

“But the role is hard and stressful and it might make you ill”

What next?  No we can’t give you a job on the farm in case a sheep gives you a nip.  Or no, you can’t work in a supermarket in case a load of fishfingers fall on your head.  It’s mental.  As I pointed out I am probably best placed to decide what I can and can’t manage having had twenty years of it.  But an administrator gets to decide on my behalf.  

Oddly enough I have a casual contract Lined up to help with the Covid 19 rollout.  I have to be CPR trained in case someone fucking dies in front of me after the shot.  That apparently is not stressful enough for crohns to be an issue.

Its an insurance thing.  Nothing more

3 hours ago, Parky said:

But the role is hard and stressful and it might make you ill

"Surely it's up to me to decide what I find stressful and what I can cope well with.  I wouldn't have applied for the job if I thought my pre-existing conditions were any kind of issue."

Today I had that.  A guy was round fitting a heat pump and took all fucking day.  The landlord popped in to check on progress just as I got a bloody migraine.  Managed to offset that - just - and am sitting quietly recovering.

Phone rings at 6.25pm, Human Resources at Westpac, another place I interviewed at.  “Yeah, just to let you know you haven’t been successful.  Your test scores were top, you were great in the leadership exercise and your role play was first rate.  However one of your interview answers could have been better so thanks for applying”

I mean for fucks sake.  I pick myself up, get my head straight, and I immediately get another beating.  I would get drunk, but cant tolerate alcohol.  Thanks crohn’s.

Wife has been at work all day and will be tired and hungry.  I haven’t done dinner.  I think if I slightly overcook something and one of the clan mentions the broccoli was a bit overdone it will be Ivan Dobsky time...

I did manage to get myself into a stockbroker next week Via a friendly recruiter.  However she pointed out that despite having told him about my share dealing experience, he is sceptical as he had an English guy work for him before who basically lied through his teeth about his experience.  

Fucking hell.....think I might go to the arts centre and sign up as the projectionist for their film society.  Entertaining Mr Sloane is being shown, I would be happy being paid to watch that twice a day

Got a business idea though - “Been interviewing hard and not getting anywhere?  Desperate and don’t know where to turn?  Why not call Annoying Bastards?  Yes, Annoying Bastards.  Just give us the name and number of the company that turned you down and let us do all the hard work.  From straight abuse to accusations of racism and sexism, nothing is sacred.  

Annoying Bastards.  Just because you’re low doesnt mean we can’t go lower”

I would bloody LOVE that job.  I would be so relaxed, I would be getting paid to vent at people so would be utterly chilled after work

11 hours ago, Parky said:

Well despite having spent hundreds of dollars, a couple of months of tests, exams, drug testing, reference checking, psychometrics and classroom exercises (all of which were passed with flying colours) I was expecting my NZ Police contract this week.  

Except.....“We noticed you declared you have Crohn’s disease.  Sadly we cannot accept your application and your offer has been withdrawn”

There are not enough profanities in the world.  This month I pulled out of a financial adviser role as the hours and pay kept getting worse with every conversation, was told I had a role secured with another firm who subsequently pulled it when the person I was replacing decided not to leave, made it to the final two (out of 280) for a fucking call centre job and now find the job I had secured is now gone.  Vanished just like that.

Another admin role on the Covid 19 roll out is on the cards but that keeps moving too.  Honestly, there just aren’t enough swear words in the English language.  I might have to learn Ukrainian so I can develop some new ones.

The missus has been hassling me to get work so we can get properly settled and secure for the kids benefit.  She will be sympathetic but I know she is gonna be pissed.  

I didn’t ask for Crohns.  I did nothing to encourage it.  It’s probably been triggered by the fucking milk I was forced to drink as a kid before lactose intolerance was a thing but I doubt I can sue my primary school or the late seventies government now.  Thank fuck I don’t suffer from depression.  Oh hang on, yes I do.  This is going to be the beginning of a very very dark period

I'm guessing you declared all that on the initial application form? Does Hobbiton have an equivalent of Money Claim Online? After all that round the houses bullshit I'd be writing a polite but shitty letter telling them you'd like your money back as they've totally wasted your valuable time and if they don't pay up make it Money Claim official.

1 hour ago, Parky said:

....Got a business idea though - “Been interviewing hard and not getting anywhere?  Desperate and don’t know where to turn?  Why not call Annoying Bastards?  Yes, Annoying Bastards.  Just give us the name and number of the company that turned you down and let us do all the hard work.  From straight abuse to accusations of racism and sexism, nothing is sacred.  

Annoying Bastards.  Just because you’re low doesnt mean we can’t go lower”

I would bloody LOVE that job.  I would be so relaxed, I would be getting paid to vent at people so would be utterly chilled after work

I wonder if the disappearance of job offers is anything to do with the fact that they'd much rather give preference to NZ citizens, and Maoris in particular....

26 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I wonder if the disappearance of job offers is anything to do with the fact that they'd much rather give preference to NZ citizens, and Maoris in particular....

Good old positive discrimination / affirmative action.

Sounds like you're having a right fucking war with it though, Parky.

Just to make you even more annoyed, I'll be starting a new job doing the same thing as my old job but for 50% more pay in mid-July. I completely fluffed a decent number of the technical questions in the interview, but they gave me the job based on my experience with wi-fi. :D

Had a knock on the door right in the middle of dinner.

Someone offering to "take those four scrap cars off your hands."

Referring to the Jag, van, Xantia and BX.

Bugger off you cretin.

Suffice to say they have all been immobilised just in case.  Well, aside from the Xantia which has a pretty effective factory one anyway...

Checked after I finally managed to tell the in no uncertain terms no, and sure enough the dropside Transit they were in hasn't been taxed or MOTed since 2016.  Not insured either.  Reported to the police, not that I expect them to do anything about it but at least I've done my bit.

One hour in of working at home and it’s been about as productive as a kick in the bollocks.

Laptop has rebooted, crashed or ‘updated’ 6 times since 8:45, the work VPN keeps dropping out so I cannot access things on shared drives, and a member of ICT support is trying to contact me on my DESK PHONE and not teams as requested.

Have you ever wondered where your council tax money goes?

13 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Had a knock on the door right in the middle of dinner.

Someone offering to "take those four scrap cars off your hands."

Checked after I finally managed to tell the in no uncertain terms no, and sure enough the dropside Transit they were in hasn't been taxed or MOTed since 2016.  Not insured either.  Reported to the police, not that I expect them to do anything about it but at least I've done my bit.

Travellers!!

20 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Travellers!!

45l1l9.thumb.jpg.9bc379d186e5e7eea5dbc5b6fa60c677.jpg

Seriously though, you do have to be very careful how to tell a bunch of dicks in a transit van how to fuck off.  If you're too rude/hard about it, they'll likely come back en-masse later and torch your house.  You have to just be a bit gentle and tell them you're not interested thanks.

It's part of the reason I decided to bin my old Discovery.  The number of people who thought it was their right to insist I sell it to them was amazing.

2 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

One hour in of working at home and it’s been about as productive as a kick in the bollocks.

Laptop has rebooted, crashed or ‘updated’ 6 times since 8:45, the work VPN keeps dropping out so I cannot access things on shared drives, and a member of ICT support is trying to contact me on my DESK PHONE and not teams as requested.

Have you ever wondered where your council tax money goes?

In fairness to the ICT person, they may have a rule about not using Teams to contact for support.  Certainly the case where I am as all of our calls are recorded and we have to stay logged into them, as well as messing up the monitoring.  We can remotely access the laptops via Teamviewer, etc. but wer'ne not allowed to do the initial contact through Teams.

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

@GrumpiusMaximus Teams is supposed to be the default; it certainly is in the civic centre but for some reason they always try the telephone for depot staff (which I am). No idea why as apart from one person everyone in the depot is pretty tech-savvy. May be a policy

It may be the case that's there's a specific policy.  See if you can get in touch with the Service Desk manager and see what they say!

I tried to log in to my PayPal account to pay @eddyramrodfor a couple of kits only to be told that my password isn't enough and they need to send a security code to my mobile phone in order for me to log in. This would be fine but I noticed that I  haven't used the phone since November so I think it might have been disconnected through lack of use. A few times in the past I've had to ring my landline just to keep it connected but this time I obviously forgot. I'll see if I can get it reconnected tomorrow but if they need to see photo ID before they can do it that'll  be a problem as I don't have any. ☹️

14 hours ago, BL Bloke said:

I tried to log in to my PayPal account to pay @eddyramrodfor a couple of kits only to be told that my password isn't enough and they need to send a security code to my mobile phone in order for me to log in. This would be fine but I noticed that I  haven't used the phone since November so I think it might have been disconnected through lack of use. A few times in the past I've had to ring my landline just to keep it connected but this time I obviously forgot. I'll see if I can get it reconnected tomorrow but if they need to see photo ID before they can do it that'll  be a problem as I don't have any. ☹️

They will ring your landline.

Mine was registered to them but I don't have one anymore - the line is there but no phone.

Re-registered with the mobile without too much effort.

Try again as it is random, about 1 time in 10.

This weekend.  Migraine, backache, another migraine, recovery, silent migraine (one with the aura and vision loss but no pain), blockbuster headache without aura, mega migraine complete with complete numbness down left side and inability to remember or recognise words (like concussion) and today normal.  Bloody wierd especially as mother in law has the same thing.  

Possibles - some sort of virus her stepdaughters kids have brought home that my system hasn’t seen for 40 years and hers for 70

Norwester.  We have a wind here which makes some people go loopy.  Like the Mistral in France.  We had a Norwester all weekend

CO Poisoning.  Diesel fumes give me migraines.  This place is full of wood burners and as it has turned cold the place stinks of smoke as everyone lights up.  I definitely felt better out and about in clearer air so I think this could be it.  Maybe the flue on my places wood burner is restricted and burned air is sucking back in?

Who knows about carbon monoxide poisoning and testing??

Stockbroker interview went alright though.  Today’s performance was brought to you by Doliprane, the fucking enormous paracetamol painkiller from Toulouse.  Yes, four times the potency and only four times the size of a regular tablet.  Think of it like a 20mm cannon shell that aims for pain whilst being similar in size to something found in a Spitfire IX wing mounting....Doliprane......when you absolutely totally will do literally anything including swallowing something that John Holmes would be proud of to make it all go away

55 minutes ago, Parky said:

Who knows about carbon monoxide poisoning and testing??

Carbon monoxide poisoning can give you the symptoms you're describing.  Get a CO alarm.  They're usually about £15 or so in the UK, but are worth their weight in gold.  The colour-change dots are not anywhere near as reactive, so I wouldn't bother with them.

Wood burners can absolutely generate CO.  You also have to be careful, as if the cast iron is gotten hot enough, then it can become porus and allow CO out directly into the room.

To detect CO in the bloodstream, you need a fairly fancy pulse oximiter (not the cheap ones, as they can't differentiate between CO2 and CO) or a blood test.

If you start to feel sleepy with a headache, there's definitely something wrong.  CO poisoning *will* kill you if the levels are high enough.