The grumpy thread

outlaw118

My road journeys lately have been very limited but on the occasions I’ve been out on the road it’s been like the bloody Grand Prix with young chaps haring about like there’s no tomorrow. It’s rarely the young women as they seem to be much more mature, about the worst was a 15 year old Clio 5 up overtaking on a blind bend. 

Obviously £3,000 insurance is no deterrent there needs to be another deterrent, at 18 years old you are big enough to accept consequences so perhaps some harsher penalties are needed

1 hour ago, twosmoke300 said:

As I found out recently - holidays just aren’t worth the stress . My brother always says you should make a life that you don’t need a holiday from . Not managed that myself yet tho 

Not a holiday unfortunately. My grandparents lived out there and we scattered their ashes earlier this week.

The Spanish side of everything was brilliant on the way out; everything went smoothly, no problems at the airport or border control etc. Their COVID-19 precautions are much stricter than here in the UK because they rely on tourism.

The biggest pain in the arse was the typical surly British attitude of “It ain’t my problem m9” on the arrival back or things being broken. I would happily emigrate to Spain given the chance.

11 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Obviously £3,000 insurance is no deterrent there needs to be another deterrent, at 18 years old you are big enough to accept consequences so perhaps some harsher penalties are needed

I'd like to add that the near £2000 insurance myself and most young drivers have to pay is quite a bit of a deterrant and burns a massive hole in our bank accounts even though several of us are earning money. When paid, there's usually not enough money for a couple of months to spend on anything else. For some, it's a turn-off to driving altogether. I think you'll find that those who are driving their Clio sports, modded Golfs and Audi A3s will also be paying the full amount or, most commonly in my experience, are fronting the insurance. Insurance for a sporty car is incredibly expensive so it checks out.

I'm in favour of better policing of reckless driving, but not driving up insurance premiums up so much it requires people to take out loans and go through the headache of repaying those. Why should good drivers have to carry the burden of poor drivers through paying extortionate amounts in insurance? The premiums for both my cars exceed their values by nearly £500!

5 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

I'd like to add that the near £2000 insurance myself and most young drivers have to pay is quite a bit of a deterrant and burns a massive hole in our bank accounts even though several of us are earning money. When paid, there's usually not enough money for a couple of months to spend on anything else. For some, it's a turn-off to driving altogether. I think you'll find that those who are driving their Clio sports, modded Golfs and Audi A3s will also be paying the full amount or, most commonly in my experience, are fronting the insurance. Insurance for a sporty car is incredibly expensive so it checks out.

I'm in favour of better policing of reckless driving, but not driving up insurance premiums up so much it requires people to take out loans and go through the headache of repaying those. Why should good drivers have to carry the burden of poor drivers through paying extortionate amounts in insurance? The premiums for both my cars exceed their values by nearly £500!

No I agree with you, that’s what I’m saying, a big premium obviously doesn’t put people off driving like nobs. Perhaps the money we’ve saved from spending on foreign aid should go towards more traffic police. 

Just now, sierraman said:

No I agree with you, that’s what I’m saying, a big premium obviously doesn’t put people off driving like nobs. Perhaps the money we’ve saved from spending on foreign aid should go towards more traffic police. 

Fortunately the premiums are still somewhat affordable- I doubt they will soon enough. It doesn't prevent those who register their parents as main drivers to get around it though. I'd love to see more traffic police. They've all seemingly disappeared round where I live.

For a time we were doing well- in X Cars in the 1990's undercover cops stopped a guy in a sporty Sierra. No boy racer was he, it was his pride and joy. He was paying £1300 for it annually. There's some inflation adjustments, yes, but it's still cheap!

8 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

When I was 19, I was paying £950 or so to insure a Saab 9000 Turbo.  It was an SE model with leather, climate and cruise - I felt like the dog's bollocks.

When I was 18 I paid £2800 on a 9 month policy bonus accelerator insurance scheme on a 1991 MG montego turbo. Still paid and enjoyed the car

22 hours ago, Stanky said:

A couple of weeks of agonizing pain after eating, turned up to 11 in the evenings, with vomiting what I suspect was blood after even a drop of alcohol and I've been diagnosed with a stomach ulcer. The docs were really good, I explained over the phone what was going on and wasn't actually that surprised when they said it sounded like a textbook case.

They prescribed Omeprazole and I picked it up the next day. Its calmed the extreme pain in my stomach down but given me headaches (which should pass in 7-10 days) and permanent nausea. They've said I'm not allowed any booze for a month. A MONTH! 

So I'm eating occasional, tiny meals, stone cold sober, with what feels like a permanent hangover. 

I have a review in 4 weeks when they'll see if I need a camera down the gullet which I'm really, really hoping is not going to be required.

I've had a down the gullet job, twice. If you have somebody to take you home and look after you for 24 hours they can knock you out. If not, in my case, It's a squirt of some numbing stuff down the throat and get the camera down there.

1 hour ago, puddlethumper said:

I've had a down the gullet job, twice. If you have somebody to take you home and look after you for 24 hours they can knock you out. If not, in my case, It's a squirt of some numbing stuff down the throat and get the camera down there.

I've only ever been under general once and I was told that I got a bit aggressive when I came round and had to be sedated again. I was mortified when I was told this, as I pride myself on being a very calm non-aggressive person!

We'll see how it goes, I'm hoping I'll be OK after 4 weeks of these tablets and not need to go to DEFCON 2 

Decided to clean the rear ride height sensor control rods on my Merc GL320 earlier as they were both seized solid. Cleaned,  greased and got them moving nice and free, started up the car and the rear end sunk slowly to the floor while the front stayed normal, so now the wife’s cars is out of action till I can borrow my sons scanner tomorrow.🤦‍♂️😢

why the fuck do I bother ? 

2 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

They've been non-existent in the Met area for years.

It was up until a few years ago where I am if I remember correctly. Seeing two in a month nowadays is a good day. Most of the time I see zilch. Kind of ironic as there's a police training centre on Ashdown Forest which I go past quite often.

3 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

They've been non-existent in the Met area for years.

Mostly dealing with drunks or those with mental health issues.

Evidence that there are fewer social and mental health workers than traffic police...

WTF is wrong with ParcelForce at the moment.

Had an e-mail Friday to say a parcel will be delivered. Set up a redirect so it would arrive today. I've been downstairs since 8am and an e-mail came through telling me my Parcel would be delivered between 9:45 and 10:45, with an option to leave with neighbour

Went out to kitchen, made a coffee, came back and an out card had been pushed through the door and saw through the window the ParcelForce van driving off, card stating it's going to the nearest* post office. No knock, no doorbell, not left with neighbour as asked if no answer.

On 6/19/2021 at 6:30 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

Sun has done for the plastic fixing that attaches the hoover hose to the swimming pool suction outlet.

IMG-20210619-WA0001.thumb.jpg.0d61f77ff4255d55a03cc8324d7672a3.jpg

IMG-20210619-WA0004.thumb.jpg.73cf589d90eaa7b2beaa031b03d92623.jpg

Been to at least a dozen pool shops, and no one has them.

One shop assistant told me that he hadn't seen one this size for about 10 years. Bollocks!

You may have to trawl through dozens of suppliers but AliExpress will have something.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001159444368.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2f904abbXPVXC8&algo_pvid=54ef1f3d-ac1b-4372-9312-d7daf8215686&algo_exp_id=54ef1f3d-ac1b-4372-9312-d7daf8215686-9

spacer.png

7 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

WTF is wrong with ParcelForce at the moment.

Had an e-mail Friday to say a parcel will be delivered. Set up a redirect so it would arrive today. I've been downstairs since 8am and an e-mail came through telling me my Parcel would be delivered between 9:45 and 10:45, with an option to leave with neighbour

Went out to kitchen, made a coffee, came back and an out card had been pushed through the door and saw through the window the ParcelForce van driving off, card stating it's going to the nearest* post office. No knock, no doorbell, not left with neighbour as asked if no answer.

That's standard with Royal Mail or Parcel Force here.  It drives me spare.

Today's grump...

Hmm...why can I smell burning electronics in the kitchen?

Ah... that'll be it.

IMG_20210621_173616.thumb.jpg.a4b3a4b97a42892f1d9817c65a99b660.jpg

Crappy sockets strike again.

IMG_20210621_174658.thumb.jpg.90336eef2eb8c4836ec63b6c3cc307fd.jpg

They're all getting replaced now as this is the second time I've had one melt down on me and another switch randomly stopped switching off about two years ago.

On 6/20/2021 at 8:24 PM, goosey said:

Decided to clean the rear ride height sensor control rods on my Merc GL320 earlier as they were both seized solid. Cleaned,  greased and got them moving nice and free, started up the car and the rear end sunk slowly to the floor while the front stayed normal, so now the wife’s cars is out of action till I can borrow my sons scanner tomorrow.🤦‍♂️😢

why the fuck do I bother ? 

Looks like I re-fitted the osr sensor rod back on upside down 🤦‍♂️
all working ok now, oh what a fool i am, man card officially revoked 

Just now, High Jetter said:

I've always felt Croydon was a long way behind.

They're doing a good job regenerating around the train station. Shame nothing is happening with the old Royal Mail sorting office that sits right on the junction, though.

I was last in that Croydon about 2 years ago. The hi-rise lift shafts being built opposite the station looked dreadful. On the way to our destination (on a bus, don't often get the chance to use our Ostrich cards) we had a great view of a burnt-out store on the way. Given a lift back to station later, all traffic was diverted due to an incident, later found to be a stabbing. This was late afternoon, on a Sunday.

I am grumpy with myself at the moment - my own indecisiveness is pissing me off.  I really do fancy a new Sandero and at the moment I can afford one, but I have this nagging doubt at the back of my mind that four years is a long time and my employment and / or housing situation could change in that period and fuck things up.

I think the problem is that I am generally incredibly risk-averse, which is part of the reason why I've never really got anywhere in life.