The grumpy thread

outlaw118

5 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I'd have paid to see that!

Miss_155 had some smaller letters like that in the window above the front door when her extension was built.They may have been rearranged to spell vole & velo quite a few times 😁

1 hour ago, omegod said:

Newpod. the covid wedding shite is a pain, my brother got married at Briars Hall last weekend with a max 30 people and it upset him to have to cancel so many people, was still a lovely day but no fucker was dancing in the evening which was a bit awkward.  

My wedding was good but cost 14k, I spent half the day saying hello and the other half saying goodbye and I didn't even see the evening buffet which was a pisser as I'd specced fucking salt and pepper ribs 

This Covid thing is is shit.

Know someone who has just retired after 45 years in public service. No gatherings so say goodbye to all, so an envelope sent to most existing and previous collogues with a small drink and a note to say that it was a pleasure to have worked there.

It of a bummer to have to do that have a life long service.

Another night away, another evening meal   In contractor corner with site workers who can’t blow their fucking nose and constantly sniff snot back into their throats and talk with a mouthful of flem 🤢

Eventually got to speak to the builder.  He is like the cast of boys from.the black stuff.  I'm not interested in hearing his tale of woe about the current job he's on.  

I explained the problem (very) politely with not knowing if he's going to come when he said he would, and the problem.it causes with planning my work location. And I explained that we might be without electric for a few days from.the 27th and he's absolutely definately 100% going to start Monday.  But he really needs to get paid from.the job he's currently on, so he can buy supplies.  WTF???

I said, that  of course i'd be happy to come with him to the builders merchants and pay for a cutting disc and a few bags of sand and cement, once he arrived on Monday as he's now promising.  And take it off the final bill obviously.  I'm not sure if he lives in a caravan now. 

Day 2 of Isolation and I’m already going out of my mind. The wife can not get it in her head that I’ve got work to do, thinking I’m lined up for jobs round the house and banging and constantly shouting. It’s like doing a shift in Durham nick with the banging and yelling while I’m trying to get on with shit.

I don’t want to be in this house doing work any more than what she wants me to be here, given every chance I’d 100% rather be at work. 

14 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Looks like a giant hawk moth but Give me a minute and I’ll let you know the taxonomy

Laothoe populi, the poplar hawk-moth, is a moth of the family Sphingidae. The species was first described by Carl Linnaeus in his 1758 10th edition of Systema Naturae. It is found throughout the Palearctic region and the Near East and is one of the most common members of the family in the region.

1 hour ago, iainrcz said:

Windows 10 decided to update itself yesterday, and now shit is broken.

Start menu, notification area. Win.

Just tried restoring to 3/6 and still borked.

An old cheap laptop of mine did the same two or three weeks back; I was sure the forced Win10 update had killed it stone dead.

Took at least three separate looooong installs (5+hrs; one was left overnight and still hadn't finished by morning), and four restarts, but it did eventually come back to life again. I was ver' surprised.

It seems to be slightly less painfully slow now, too. Slightly.

Hoping yours can be sorted, dude - though I swear some of these compulsory OS updates seem designed purely to drive sales of new machines...

Windows 10 decided to update itself yesterday, and now shit is broken.

Start menu, notification area. Win.

Just tried restoring to 3/6 and still borked.

This happens at my work a lot.

Windows key-R, type "powershell" and enter.

Paste this into powershell - all one block.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Usually works.

16 hours ago, MikeR said:

I was the only man on the unit when this was found , armed with a glass and spoon , it went out the window ....

1320901189_IMG_20210609_115911_8392.thumb.jpg.ff2b343fdcc90b43bb6a073cdd8bb9ff.jpg

Well , the news of this moth went right round work with everyone impressed by it ...

And

another one appeared this morning 

Which got killed by another staff member , and the news spread . They now known as the moth killer !!! 

And just to rub salt in , this picture is getting tweeted for everyone to gush over ....... Except one person !

Okay, just spent the best part of an hour driving around in circles trying to get to the Grafton Gate Argos.  Due to the road closures surrounding that retail park at the moment I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to it.

Google is as much use as a chocolate teapot as it doesn't seem to realise two of the closures are there.

There must *be* a way in as there are cars in the car park, I'll be damned if I can find it though.

Then had it suggested to me when I got back home "Why didn't you just park in Morrison's and walk?"

Simple, because the signage says you're not allowed to do that so of course I'd never have considered it.  Welcome to the world of being autistic.

Couldn't park in the pay and display just across the road as I didn't have my wallet with me so didn't have any coins or a card on hand and the machines for reasons unknown accept all forms of contactless payment except for by phone.

Yes it's a minor grump in the grand scheme of things, but this is the sort of thing which winds me right up.

Edit: Of course some idiot had totally forgotten that the Morrison's car park connects with one branch of the Argos car park at one point didn't he.

38 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Well , the news of this moth went right round work with everyone impressed by it ...

And

another one appeared this morning 

Which got killed by another staff member , and the news spread . They now known as the moth killer !!! 

And just to rub salt in , this picture is getting tweeted for everyone to gush over ....... Except one person !

Like moths to a light bulb....

2 hours ago, juular said:

This happens at my work a lot.

Windows key-R, type "powershell" and enter.

Paste this into powershell - all one block.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Usually works.

That was one of the things I tried.

Got a ream of errors in Powershell about resources in use and all sorts.

I've bitten the bullet and reinstalled Windows.

Going to go and Wade through the crap they think you want now .

Going to go and Wade through the crap they think you want now .

Its amazing* that MS have a 'yes to all' button before they ask whether you want all the options, but not a 'no to all' button. That would make my life as an IT bod an awful lot less tedious.

Dear cat food producers.

I’ve had a lovely afternoon with all the windows open and filled my house with fresh air. Please could you change your cat food recipes so

a) cats actually eat it
b) all the flies in the world don’t enter my house within 3 seconds of the pouch or tin being opened.

Thanks in advance

3 hours ago, Stanky said:

Its amazing* that MS have a 'yes to all' button before they ask whether you want all the options, but not a 'no to all' button. That would make my life as an IT bod an awful lot less tedious.

I tell you what is amazing. My surround sound is still working.

A previous update killed that, I spent about a week trawling for a solution. Got it working again, and incredibly reinstalling windows didn't break it.

It did randomly keep my graphics card driver, but delete the control panel for it.

On 6/9/2021 at 9:01 PM, MikeR said:

I was the only man on the unit when this was found , armed with a glass and spoon , it went out the window ....

1320901189_IMG_20210609_115911_8392.thumb.jpg.ff2b343fdcc90b43bb6a073cdd8bb9ff.jpg

We used to get Privet Hawk moths flying around at work. They're huge.

Debt collector emailed.  They aren’t allowed to tell me how much I allegedly owe until I produce evidence of my current address, phone number, and date of birth for”verification” and “data protection” purposes

Yeah. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Pointed out that data protection relates to the relevant collection and storage of information.  Knowing my current address is irrelevant.  Unless they want to send two heavies to NZ paying £2000 for flights and a further £3000 in quarantine costs to pursue a debt of probably less than £50.

Pointed out It was unlikely their pisspot system would be able to verify my location in a rented house in another country so asked again if they wouldn’t mind telling me how much I allegedly owe them together with documentary evidence.  I don’t think that’s unreasonable is it?  After all surely they just want the money?

Police job looking shaky. Because of past history of depression (caused by toxic employer, fixed by no longer being at toxic employer) Migraines (fixed with glasses), Tinnitus (caused by F1 engines, not a major issue) and Crohns (have controlled it pretty well for 23 years) they may withdraw their offer.  This is despite my GP signing me off as fit for the role.  Apparently I may find it stressful - no shit Sherlock.  You try dealing with some toff who has lost half a million quid and is less than chuffed.  That’s stressful

Spotify has borked itself with the Microshaft error 00xc0000142. Compatability mode, scannow and all that stuff hasn't fixed it. Even editing the registry values hasn't given any joy. I wonder what's gone wrong in my hard drive to do this?

Hermes.  Can't speak to anyone.  Been on its way since 2nd June.  Only seller can chase up it seems and they just send me the tracking number. 

Wouldn't mind but I'm running out of time for the MOT retest.  Grrr.