The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Is that because there are actually that many people out of work, or just because everyone is looking to change job as lockdown is "easing".  I suspect there's a lot of the latter going on at the moment.

From the feedback my husband has been getting during his job search it's a decent chunk of both.  Especially in the academic and research sectors.

7 hours ago, Floatylight said:

The old Bradford factor... sadly used by employers across the nation originally to stop workers manipulating the system by taking "duvet days" you'll also hear "It's not about the genuineness of your absence its about the impact on the business" - So much so that when negotiating one such policy I asked for an automatic removal of points if someone had been hospitalised without success..

It is worth knowing what the trigger points are numerically but it's also worth knowing what should be discounted which are things to do with the equality act, so if the problem with your back is ongoing and has an "impact on your everyday life" then it should be classed (in terms of the policy) as discountable.

- If there is a union join it if you haven't already, a rep who knows these policies inside out is worth their weight in gold.

Get well soon chap! 

Discount able? - We don't have a system that takes points off. One of the lads needs an operation, has produced paperwork saying so and given them 3 months notice of his time off, yet he'll still get points. Produce a doctors sick note - You still get points. 

In another department, a bloke was going through Chemotherapy.... he still got points.

Ooh and the union isn't worth joining, let's just say we now no longer have a canteen. No vote or nothing, and all you get is "Well legally they can do this" ... so 🤷‍♂️

Websites that insist on texting a code to your phone in order for you to log in.  Pretty fucking difficult when your useless piece of shit phone will not receive calls or texts when inside your house despite showing it has a signal.

(I've tried different phones and different networks, and the same thing happens no matter what.  Am I being covertly blacklisted from the world's phone networks?)

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

Pretty fucking difficult when your useless piece of shit phone will not receive calls or texts when inside your house despite showing it has a signal.

Since the advent of 4G this has become more of a problem.  The reason is that 4G is a data-only protocol.  Unfortunately, that means that for Voice or Text service, the phone has to use 3G or 2G service, which might well be absolutely awful indoors, but the phone still shows good service, as it can only show signal level for one technology, so it show it for 4G, as that's the preferential network.

If you're in a deadspot, it would be well worth looking into a service that can offer GAN (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Access_Network) service, which allows voice and text over a data network.  These used to be not that common, but I believe are more popular now, sometimes even using the 4G network to do so (where previously they used a wifi network to extend service indoors)

I think some providers also offer VOIP service for voice over 4G, baked into the phone hardware.  Not so sure about that one.

7 hours ago, Pieman said:

Websites that insist on texting a code to your phone in order for you to log in.  Pretty fucking difficult when your useless piece of shit phone will not receive calls or texts when inside your house despite showing it has a signal.

(I've tried different phones and different networks, and the same thing happens no matter what.  Am I being covertly blacklisted from the world's phone networks?)

HMRC is the only organisation that I've experienced. 

Oh any maybe Lloyds bank

7 hours ago, High Jetter said:

2FA is a useful precaution. Are you in a poor signal area?

Yes, a useful precaution, until the banks tell us that to be secure we need 3FA, then 4FA, for our own protection of course, not theirs. Oh,no. In the end logging in to your bank will be a multi stage process taking 15minutes. 

We are heading for a future as lab rats, pushing buttons to get what we need.

Not sure where that comes from.  Banks are a long way behind in security and usability generally.  Many banks used to have appalling online authentication processes, but generally they're getting better - faster and easier - not worse.  SMS is dated crap as a second factor though.

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

Yes, a useful precaution, until the banks tell us that to be secure we need 3FA, then 4FA, for our own protection of course, not theirs. Oh,no. In the end logging in to your bank will be a multi stage process taking 15minutes. 

We are heading for a future as lab rats, pushing buttons to get what we need.

Well-implemented 2FA significantly increases security to the point where a third factor wouldn't practically increase the security you have on the account.  The main security tweak is the authentication token expiry.  At work we have it set for 31 days on standard accounts (on that device, obviously) and no retention for IT Admin accounts (i.e. we have to authenticate every time we log in to that account) which seems reasonable to me.

I mean, if you're ok with the password 'crackers2' and no second factor then please don't complain when your data is stolen.

The main problem with 2FA is people failing to read the instructions properly and then blaming the process when they've failed to actually set it up properly.

My current grump is about trying to organise 2 workmen in 2 locations this week and going into the office on at least one day. 

The cast of boys from the blackstuff, have been due to do my pointing. Promised they'd come Tuesday last week. Fucking radio silence all week. Eventually tells me it's going to be Monday this week. Or maybe Tuesday..

In the meantime I'm waiting for a gas repairman to track down spares to fix a boiler leak in Staffordshire.  He might be able to fit it in this Tuesday.  But he will get back to me with a time.  

Obviously I've updated  him and said either Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday please.  That means I could go into the office on Thursday and get back here to see the pointing progress on Friday.  

I get a text late last night saying the pointing is going to start Tuesday or Wednesday.  

My guess is Thursday? 

Anyway, I'm trying not to to piss any of these people off because you know, they actually need both doing. 

i have been in touch with the party that did replace the cans, their "warranty" excluded the suspension settling over time, something that all hydralastic/hydragas cars do, and while they have yet to reply, my "shitey-sense" says that they will want nothing to do with it.

my thinking is that the internal diaphragm inside the can has failed and the liquid which is supposed to be in the lower part has now in the top of the can too.

this is the latest farce to befall the car, following on from the very expensive respray several years ago  where they basically painted over the rust.

needless to say i really fuckin HATE that car right now.

21 hours ago, Minimad5 said:

Discount able? - We don't have a system that takes points off. One of the lads needs an operation, has produced paperwork saying so and given them 3 months notice of his time off, yet he'll still get points. Produce a doctors sick note - You still get points. 

In another department, a bloke was going through Chemotherapy.... he still got points.

Maybe, but you're not considering that while points may accrue, they can also be "disregarded for the purpose of considering a warning" - an argument @Floatylight and I have used successfully on many occasions, with positive results for the members.  This is especially so for protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010.

That said, it's still a shit system which affects far more than the minority it's aimed (badly) at.

YMMV.

4 minutes ago, MarvinsMom said:

i have been in touch with the party that did replace the cans, their "warranty" excluded the suspension settling over time, something that all hydralastic/hydragas cars do, and while they have yet to reply, my "shitey-sense" says that they will want nothing to do with it.

Consumer rights legislation might have something to say about that...

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/57/enacted

2 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

i have been in touch with the party that did replace the cans, their "warranty" excluded the suspension settling over time, something that all hydralastic/hydragas cars do,

Settle?  Yes.  Had the car dropped maybe 5-10mm at that corner after the work was done, that's reasonable.

Completely fucking collapse onto the bumpstops?  No.

To play Devil's Advocate here, but... The original post suggests the suspension was regassed.

What part of that implies that components were replaced? A tired old sphere perhaps just couldn't take the renewed gas pressure and went pop. Why are the company who were paid to regas liable?

They may well make a goodwill gesture to come and have a look at it, but replacement parts don't grow on trees.

the cans that are on the metro now are cans they supplied, and they took the tired old cans backwith them,

as of now they are not responding to any messages left for them, and the "radio silence" from them is i think indicative on how they will respond to this.

either way that car will soon be going on a journey out of my ownership to be someone elses problem or to become bean tins.

20 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

i fuckin' hate this car.

so much for getting the suspension regassed. 

definitely £740 well spent........

DSCN9642.JPG

DSCN9643.JPG

DSCN9644.JPG

DSCN9645.JPG

DSCN9646.JPG

DSCN9647.JPG

DSCN9648.JPG

the party who changed the cans has agreed to come and replace the driverside front one after reviewing the pictures i took yesterday.

which is good.

only the first opportunity they have for coming and doing the work is the beginning of July.

which is, well actually ok, i guess since the car isn't mot'd or on the road.

i could have had a replacement can posted out, BUT, as we don't have a hydrolastic Dalek and if there is a problem with the replacement one, if they have fitted it then i cannot be at fault with it.

and we can use the time between now and then to look into the cars brakes, with a view to sending the car for a test.

i cannot wait to get the car back on the road too, as i do, mostly really like it.

its a lovely little thing to drive as its full of character and usually it would put a smile on my face,

the state its gotten in while been sat in the garage makes me sad BUT opening the door the other day and finding it listing like that.

well, just say i was some what pissed off about it, especially having spent a tidy sum on it to get the car sat like it should on the road!