The grumpy thread

outlaw118

The shamelessness of it too, with all the hire companies just inventing new things that you've just "got" to have. My mate paid £750 to rent some fucking lycra chair covers, and £200 to rent some 4 foot high wooden letters that were quickly rearranged to spell "VOLE". What a lot of shit! It makes me angry just thinking about the money wasted and the regret people will have afterwards. 4 years later he's still got £387 a month coming out of the bank to pay off the loan they took out to pretend to all their mates that they were richer than they are for one day.

I'm really salty too because as a best man I had to dye my really nice tan brogues black to match the grooms.

Personally I've never understood it either.  I don't really understand the point of marriage but beyond that, why would you spend so much money to show off to other people?

My best mate was going to get married last year and was plonking down a huge sum (around £20K) to do it.  Some of it had been gifted but they still had to pay most of it out of pocket.  They booked a venue and paid the deposit, had most of the shite arranged and some of it paid for and then Covid came and cancelled their wedding.  Then they re-arranged a smaller marriage and Covid cancelled it again.  Ironically their relationship was somewhat strained by this point.

They've now managed to get quite a bit of their money back and have arranged a third wedding that is much smaller, only has direct family attending and they're much, much happier and much less stressed, their relationship has improved and now they are really looking forward to getting married.

I think a lot of it comes down to this expectation to get married and some people start planning their 'dream wedding' in their head from the age of 10.  Yeah.  No.

I don't "get" marriage at all either. Don't understand the concept of it, but unfortunately my wife does. Fortunately she's mostly got her head screwed on so we had a registry office do with a few close friends and then went out for a steak afterwards.

The waitress asked "Have you been up to anything nice today guys?" and when we told her we'd just got married, her face dropped as if something must have gone incredibly wrong.

Fuck that, I'd rather have a deposit to move to a nicer house and no wedding than have a "nice" wedding and still be stuck living in a poxy little terraced house.

My wedding cost $1300 NZD and was great fun.  Lovely day, loads of wine, nice and informal garden wedding with a caterer thrown in (most of the money was for her but well worth it).  Been married 20 years.

Friend?  £30 grand wedding.  White horses, best of the best, three weeks in the Maldives afterwards.  Divorced two years later when he (a) admitted he didn’t want any more kids as he already had a couple and (b) he was in love with a work colleague and had been with her since before the wedding (she was at the wedding!)

People can spend their money on whatever they want but seriously, weddings are a massive swizz.  Do the registry office for the legals and have a big party after.  That doesn’t need to be expensive

Our wedding cost practically bugger all.

Hadn't seen her fro about seven years but always thinking about her.

Phoned (from Sweden) her neighbour to bring her to the phone.  Asked if she was up for marrying.

OK, she says so hop on a plane, get a special licence, hitched 48 hours later in the registry office, sandwiches and cakes in her parents flat, wedding night in my gran's house, train (for me) to London to meet my boss, drive him to Worcester (client Kay's Catalogue) drive back to Whitby through the snow and petrol limiting - £5 max.  Stuffed her belongings in the Volvo, drive to Immingham to return to Sweden.

Great no planning, just winging it all the way.  Her dress cost her two quid for the material that she turned into a wedding dress the night before the wedding.

No photo's.  MIL took some on her Instamatic and they were seriously underexposed.  Only two show anything at all and it looks like pikeys in thick fog.

Irony there is I was very photography interested and worked in one of Sweden's top photo studios :(  Oh well.

The only two weddings I've been properly involved in so far have been great.

The first was in a forest somewhere outside Fort William, on Halloween. Just the bride and groom, a few guests, and the registrar. We went back to the local youth hostel and got shitfaced, but not after driving through all the flash floods! It started chucking down with rain shortly after the ceremony, and after the half-hour drive back into town things had started flooding.

The second was just in 2017. A couple of my mates got married, so I was invited as the groom's guest / best man, and another mutual friend of ours was invited as the bride's friend / maid of honour. The couple paid for our plane tickets out to Calgary and they got married on the banks of Lake Louise. The only other people were the registrar and two photographers (and all the people watching from the foot path, it was in July!). I spent the rest of the afternoon batting off tourists due to me wandering around Lake Louise in a full kilt outfit and sporting a Scottish accent! We then spent a week driving around the Rockies and generally being idiots.

IF I ever find somebody, and get married, I'll be going for fun rather than bling.

I got married in St Petersburg in the registry office which was situated in a beautiful building overlooking the river.

No expense expended. No dressing up, we took the underground and trolleybus to get there. No family there, i had no idea who the witnesses were that my wife found in the building. Sat down, signed a bit of paper, and hey presto, we were married.

Bus back to our apartment, where later a few of her friends popped round with beer, vodka and Moldovan champagne (which tasted like very heavily sugared cider).

Best wedding day of the three I have had.

Never, ever invite me to a wedding.

out  of those i have been to, cousin Catherine's lasted 3 months (though the groom turning up wearing a Barnsley FC football shirt didn't inspire confidence)

and then Kim's (an old school friend) that lasted i think 6 weeks, while cousin Dianne's marriage lasted the honeymoon, and our Erica's lasted precious little more before her husband ran off with the guy who had been "the best man"

i believe the technical term is "Jonah" 

"Oh, look" thinks I, "I can get 500mb fibre broadband from Vodafone for only £5 per month more than I'm paying Plusnet for 70mb"

I tried to place an order on Vodafone's website, and while entering payment details it won't accept a name for the account holder longer than 21 characters. Err... what? I've heard bad things about Vodafone's customer service in general, so maybe this is a good early warning sign to give them a swerve.

I only looked because they just finished installing fibre past my front garden a few weeks ago.

there are times when i kinda think i've missed out on marriage and kids.

especially now i'm hitting middle age and the few friends i have who did all that their kiddies are now going off to university and leaving home, it brings it home to me that i have sorta wasted my life.

but by not doing the family thing, which i am certain i would be shit at, cos, well, i'm too self centred, and it does also mean that i haven't properly grown up, as i have not ever needed to!

hence a house with some proper crappy interior decor, and that is full of old trains, toy cars and bits of old motor cars.....

Went to the office for the day for the first time in probably 12 months... I'm knackered! Wasn't even a full day, a morning of meetings, pub lunch then we went home and I'm still exhausted... 

I used to do it 5 days a week too, seems mad now! (not the pub bit, or the finishing early bit...) 

4 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I got married in St Petersburg in the registry office which was situated in a beautiful building overlooking the river.

No expense expended. No dressing up, we took the underground and trolleybus to get there. No family there, i had no idea who the witnesses were that my wife found in the building. Sat down, signed a bit of paper, and hey presto, we were married.

Bus back to our apartment, where later a few of her friends popped round with beer, vodka and Moldovan champagne (which tasted like very heavily sugared cider).

Best wedding day of the three I have had.

The trolley bus would sell it to me.

2 minutes ago, artdjones said:

The trolley bus would sell it to me.

They were a delight in winter. No heating, icicles hanging from the roof, and thick ice on the windows. I often got off not knowing where I was, as couldn't see my location through the ice.

Still took it in preference to the warm bus and metro.

Newpod. the covid wedding shite is a pain, my brother got married at Briars Hall last weekend with a max 30 people and it upset him to have to cancel so many people, was still a lovely day but no fucker was dancing in the evening which was a bit awkward.  

My wedding was good but cost 14k, I spent half the day saying hello and the other half saying goodbye and I didn't even see the evening buffet which was a pisser as I'd specced fucking salt and pepper ribs 

5 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

there are times when i kinda think i've missed out on marriage and kids.

especially now i'm hitting middle age and the few friends i have who did all that their kiddies are now going off to university and leaving home, it brings it home to me that i have sorta wasted my life.

but by not doing the family thing, which i am certain i would be shit at, cos, well, i'm too self centred, and it does also mean that i haven't properly grown up, as i have not ever needed to!

hence a house with some proper crappy interior decor, and that is full of old trains, toy cars and bits of old motor cars.....

You sound like a female version of me,except that Miss_155 has two grown-up sons,& you have a gorgeous cat 🙂

5 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I'd have paid to see that!

Miss_155 had some smaller letters like that in the window above the front door when her extension was built.They may have been rearranged to spell vole & velo quite a few times 😁

1 hour ago, omegod said:

Newpod. the covid wedding shite is a pain, my brother got married at Briars Hall last weekend with a max 30 people and it upset him to have to cancel so many people, was still a lovely day but no fucker was dancing in the evening which was a bit awkward.  

My wedding was good but cost 14k, I spent half the day saying hello and the other half saying goodbye and I didn't even see the evening buffet which was a pisser as I'd specced fucking salt and pepper ribs 

This Covid thing is is shit.

Know someone who has just retired after 45 years in public service. No gatherings so say goodbye to all, so an envelope sent to most existing and previous collogues with a small drink and a note to say that it was a pleasure to have worked there.

It of a bummer to have to do that have a life long service.

Another night away, another evening meal   In contractor corner with site workers who can’t blow their fucking nose and constantly sniff snot back into their throats and talk with a mouthful of flem 🤢

Eventually got to speak to the builder.  He is like the cast of boys from.the black stuff.  I'm not interested in hearing his tale of woe about the current job he's on.  

I explained the problem (very) politely with not knowing if he's going to come when he said he would, and the problem.it causes with planning my work location. And I explained that we might be without electric for a few days from.the 27th and he's absolutely definately 100% going to start Monday.  But he really needs to get paid from.the job he's currently on, so he can buy supplies.  WTF???

I said, that  of course i'd be happy to come with him to the builders merchants and pay for a cutting disc and a few bags of sand and cement, once he arrived on Monday as he's now promising.  And take it off the final bill obviously.  I'm not sure if he lives in a caravan now.