The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I was looking out the window. There's a man trying to piss on the woman opposite's wheelie bin, but failing as zips are too complicated to use. He then falls into a hedge, bounces off a parked car, another hedge then splat directly on his head and knocks himself out. That doesn't look good I think. Ma phones for a van with blue lights, and we're told one has been dispatched, plz let them know if he wobbles away.

I go investigating, man whose house he is outside is also investigating. He is breathing but totally unresponsive. There is no nee naw 30 mins later. The man is still unresponsive. A cop car passes by chance and stops. Aha. someone with authority who can take control of the situation, and hopefully has at least a bit of common sense and first aid training.

Er, maybe not. She proceeds to shout at it him, it's the police!!! come on get up! and forces him to a sitting position. His eyes open, he's alive! but the lights are on, nobody is home. She says you're in honeywell, where do you live? He says honeywell. Where in honeywell? Honeywell. Any question she asks him he just repeats a random word. Coupled with his face being like bloody burger meat, and I saw him fall directly on his head and get knocked out for 30 mins, I suggest to her that he really should get checked out, and maybe she could use her cop powers to find out where the nee naw is? Cop doesn't think it's that important, he's just drunk.

The man's phone rings, cop answers. It's his wife wanting to know where he is? Cop suggests wife comes and collects him, and instructs other man to ring nee naw control and cancel nee naw as he doesn't need one. Wife turns up, and cop / wife bundle him in car.

I'm hoping wife doesn't just take him home, put him to bed and find him dead in the morning.

26 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

I was looking out the window. There's a man trying to piss on the woman opposite's wheelie bin, but failing as zips are too complicated to use. He then falls into a hedge, bounces off a parked car, another hedge then splat directly on his head and knocks himself out. That doesn't look good I think. Ma phones for a van with blue lights, and we're told one has been dispatched, plz let them know if he wobbles away.

I go investigating, man whose house he is outside is also investigating. He is breathing but totally unresponsive. There is no nee naw 30 mins later. The man is still unresponsive. A cop car passes by chance and stops. Aha. someone with authority who can take control of the situation, and hopefully has at least a bit of common sense and first aid training.

Er, maybe not. She proceeds to shout at it him, it's the police!!! come on get up! and forces him to a sitting position. His eyes open, he's alive! but the lights are on, nobody is home. She says you're in honeywell, where do you live? He says honeywell. Where in honeywell? Honeywell. Any question she asks him he just repeats a random word. Coupled with his face being like bloody burger meat, and I saw him fall directly on his head and get knocked out for 30 mins, I suggest to her that he really should get checked out, and maybe she could use her cop powers to find out where the nee naw is? Cop doesn't think it's that important, he's just drunk.

The man's phone rings, cop answers. It's his wife wanting to know where he is? Cop suggests wife comes and collects him, and instructs other man to ring nee naw control and cancel nee naw as he doesn't need one. Wife turns up, and cop / wife bundle him in car.

I'm hoping wife doesn't just take him home, put him to bed and find him dead in the morning.

Pc Drago will have blood on her hands if he does. You've done your bit though. I'd of got a badge number and name for  reference.

34 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

Lucky to have Mrs collect & return him

40 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

Drunk bloke and WPC_slightly_harsh.

The other way of looking at it is that the Police are so absolutely pig sick of having to deal with people who have voluntarily drunk themselves into a stupor and are now a complete burden on the emergency services that given the option of passing him into the care of someone else, the Police will absolutely do so, so that they (both the Police and Ambulance service) can go an deal with a situation somewhat more deserving of their time and resources.

That might sound rather harsh, but I know if I was allocating the very limited resources of emergency services around, someone who has drunk so much that they can't walk comes a fairly long way down the list.

24 minutes ago, Agila said:

Pc Drago will have blood on her hands if he does.

I don't think so.  He's been passed over into the care of his wife, which is more than most drunks would have got in the circumstances.

Oh FFS.  Temperamental appliances which you dismantle to investigate the cause of the issue, run perfectly all day with covers etc off...then the minute you get the last screw back in the case the original fault reappears...

Also, why do companies insist on using bloody computers to control things which have precisely zero requirement for it...a couple of switches and a handful of relays would do exactly the same job just as well.

Which is exactly what will be replacing this nonsense if it keeps this up.

IMG_20210525_201615.thumb.jpg.85ba3e703ef4b4cd1c71c3abb3123f48.jpg

Something funky going on with the scanning of the soft touch control panel I reckon which is resulting in it being partly unresponsive.  Annoying!

Those two electrolytic caps are getting changed next in the off chance they're playing a part.  Voltages are all a little low...which if there's some resistive divider involved in ascertaining which button is doing what may be an issue.

My new company car was supposed to be delivered next week, now it’s been put back to the 1st week of September.

The lease has expired on the car I have now so that’s being collected end of this week, not sure if the lease can be extended, probably can’t as collection has  now been arranged.

so it looks like I’m in hire cars for the next few months 😳

7 hours ago, goosey said:

My new company car was supposed to be delivered next week, now it’s been put back to the 1st week of September.

The lease has expired on the car I have now so that’s being collected end of this week, not sure if the lease can be extended, probably can’t as collection has  now been arranged.

so it looks like I’m in hire cars for the next few months 😳

Or buy a cheap beater to last you a few months off here and save the hire car cost? 

16 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Oh FFS.  Temperamental appliances which you dismantle to investigate the cause of the issue, run perfectly all day with covers etc off...then the minute you get the last screw back in the case the original fault reappears...

Also, why do companies insist on using bloody computers to control things which have precisely zero requirement for it...a couple of switches and a handful of relays would do exactly the same job just as well.

Which is exactly what will be replacing this nonsense if it keeps this up.

IMG_20210525_201615.thumb.jpg.85ba3e703ef4b4cd1c71c3abb3123f48.jpg

Something funky going on with the scanning of the soft touch control panel I reckon which is resulting in it being partly unresponsive.  Annoying!

Those two electrolytic caps are getting changed next in the off chance they're playing a part.  Voltages are all a little low...which if there's some resistive divider involved in ascertaining which button is doing what may be an issue.

Thought I'd sorted it by changing the smoothing caps as it behaved perfectly for about six hours afterwards before the same fault condition reappeared.

Okay...time for a bit of hacking.  Thing has a mechanical thermostat...so we're just going to unhook a few things and run the 24V feed from there directly to the compressor relay coil so it'll be controlled directly rather than via the processor. 

Think I've got an industrial temperature control floating around in a box somewhere which could deal with both the heating and cooling sides.  If I can find it I'll install that as it would be a nice neat solution.

Still don't get why there's so much circuitry in this thing...the only thing it does is mean you control it via a membrane keypad type panel rather than with actual switches/buttons!

It's like the 1991 version of today's touch screen obsession.

Fscking places that take contactless payment - but not via Google Pay.

Today's example: Parking machine in Buckingham.  Despite having a picture of a bloody phone on the contactless payment label.  Nowhere does it say they don't take it, but the transaction fails.

Or use the RinGo app.  Which "is currently unavailable due to a technical issue".

Fine.  I've spent the last fifteen minutes trying to pay the £0.50 for parking, I have now run out of patience.  I don't have any cash on me (don't think I've actually touched any since before the pandemic...) and my card is still sitting on my desk because I took it out of my wallet yesterday to buy something online.  Which also means I can't phone up to pay by card because I don't happen to remember the card number!

3 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

First thing I do when I get a new bank / credit card is to memorise the number.  It's got me out of the shit many times when I've forgotten my wallet.

I wish more places would accept me reciting 23 digits from memory.  Would make payments loads easier 😉

Not really a grump, more of a sad.

Friday marks the end of Year 13 at my old school. If my apprenticeship application was unsuccessul, I'd still be there. So I've a little pang of sadness that I wasn't there to make it to the end with my friends, teachers and classmates.

What really is sad, is that this year marks the end of the school being fully independant. Not long after I left in 2020, the place was sold to a management agency after they ran out of money, once and for all. They had been fighting the battle ever since I joined Year 7 in 2014. Selling off was holding the white flag up and the feeling of defeat was felt by many from management down to the students. The agency wants to turn the place upside-down and inside-out, getting rid of what made it stand apart from all the other schools in the area. It's not really an independant school anymore, it's more of an independant academy. We tried doing this before, in 2014, and that's when all the trouble began. Now an external company (which is reportedly making losses) wants to dance the same dance again. For the 100th anniversary of being a school in 2015, a time capsule was buried to be opened in 2065. I very much doubt it'll be around in 2030; it's just too small to compete anymore.

So, on Friday, I'll pay one last visit before it breaches into the brave new world of big ideas and excitement. The place managed to last 106 years, and I'm very glad I was there for 11 of them. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures of the place (with permission, of course) because it's all going to change. It's an end of an era, for me at least. I just have this fear history is just about to repeat itself.

23 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I’m considering going to the dark side and buying a new car. I’m going to lie down until the urge goes away.

I've had the same urge!  Thankfully, there's nothing available new that entices me, except maybe a Transit.  Maybe.

Oh and extreme poverty!

On 5/25/2021 at 8:59 PM, Remspoor said:

Here in Spain air internet is via 4G. or Wifi rural.

I have WiMax, for which a small satellite dish was installed on my roof. Took ages for the fitter to get it pointed at the mast. Whenever it rains heavily, or there ard high winds , I lose my internet and satellite TV, and the 4G signal on my phones fades in and out. 

Luckily its only effected me a few times since I got here.