The grumpy thread

outlaw118

20 hours ago, R1152 said:

Exactly my experience: in fact I've not worked in a place so bloody bureaucratic and officious as Australia, and I've worked in France!

19 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I think Belgium might give it a run for its money to be fair...

I recommend you come to Spain. But not for H&S . That aspect is  abysmally regulated.

8 hours ago, Fumbler said:

And Ypres, which is a fantastic place to visit if you get the chance. When I went there 3 years ago it was excellent from morning till dusk.

Couldn't agree more.  Took a big group of school kids there back in 2017 and it was wonderful.  Great restaurants too (other than the obvious 'Ypres' stuff, which is tragic and interesting).  Went there when I was in Year 9 back in about 2001 and it was just as interesting when I returned.

EDIT:  Come to think of it, Bruges is great as is Brussels.  Honestly felt very at home there.  We were staying in Ostend, which I also liked.  Just liked all of it to be honest.

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Belgium previously held the world record of 548 days, functioning without a Government, so I reckon their bureaucracy is pretty good.

Either that, or Belgium works despite its Government rather than because of it.

I think it’s an interesting experiment that proves countries work rather well with no politicians.

40 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I think it’s an interesting experiment that proves countries work rather well with no politicians.

On the other hand. Apparently you now have less chance of joining and advancing up the uk civil service now than in the 1960’s unless you have been to public school.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/senior-civil-servants-as-privileged-as-they-were-50-years-ago-g8fxl6gpr

9 hours ago, Fumbler said:

And Ypres, which is a fantastic place to visit if you get the chance. When I went there 3 years ago it was excellent from morning till dusk.

It's a place I'd like to visit.  My Great great uncle's name is somewhere in the Menin Gate, Cpl in the Enniskillen Fusiliers, died in 1917 in Ypres.

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

On the other hand. Apparently you now have less chance of joining and advancing up the uk civil service now than in the 1960’s unless you have been to public school.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/senior-civil-servants-as-privileged-as-they-were-50-years-ago-g8fxl6gpr

I'm sure you know enough Latin jokes....

Not only do I choose downpour week to go on holiday to Hull, but to add insult we stop at ferrybridge for m&s, came out and the passenger seat belt won't come out. Just keeps retracting. Took the plastics off and hit it with a spanner and yay it works. Until I get here when it packs up totally.

The Mrs doesn't like being jammed in the back of the disco but not a lot else I can do :(

19 hours ago, Spurious said:

What the fuck. Remember when Saab had a night panel button for turning off all the unnecessary dash lights? How have we gone full circle

mercedes-benz-usa-tweet-2.jpeg

I wonder how big the alternator is?

15 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Not only do I choose downpour week to go on holiday to Hull, but to add insult we stop at ferrybridge for m&s, came out and the passenger seat belt won't come out. Just keeps retracting. Took the plastics off and hit it with a spanner and yay it works. Until I get here when it packs up totally.

The Mrs doesn't like being jammed in the back of the disco but not a lot else I can do :(

Hull? Holiday?

It's like that episode of bottom where they go on holiday to Doncaster.

Not a day goes by when I don't think about some scummy fuck pinching my catalytic converter.  Being a Toyota, plenty of mouth breathing work dodgers would happily put themselves under 1200kg of car with just a bottle jack in order to bag a windfall.

One of the buxom ladies just chased some scum out of the road as they eyed up a neighbour's Honda - literally 30 seconds away from here.

I'm sort of resigned to having it stolen.  If I could be arsed I'd probably take it off myself and go "straight through" until this sort of nonsense cools down a bit.  I can't see anything else I can do; security marking is pointless as I doubt these gentlemen are selling through the legitimate channels.

Fucks. Sakes.

1 hour ago, Bren said:

Hull? Holiday?

It's like that episode of bottom where they go on holiday to Doncaster.

I'm 14 miles away in a shed er luxury glamping experience. Nearest seaside is withernsea which is full of old people neer do wells and the feeling of abandonment.

Still makes a change from being in my asbestos shed drilling pool balls.

19 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Not a day goes by when I don't think about some scummy fuck pinching my catalytic converter.  Being a Toyota, plenty of mouth breathing work dodgers would happily put themselves under 1200kg of car with just a bottle jack in order to bag a windfall.

One of the buxom ladies just chased some scum out of the road as they eyed up a neighbour's Honda - literally 30 seconds away from here.

I'm sort of resigned to having it stolen.  If I could be arsed I'd probably take it off myself and go "straight through" until this sort of nonsense cools down a bit.  I can't see anything else I can do; security marking is pointless as I doubt these gentlemen are selling through the legitimate channels.

Fucks. Sakes.

I'd definitely take it off myself (and probably weigh it in TBH) just to prevent some shithead doing the same. Surely if they weight in at £5/600, if you go to an exhaust place and say "take this cat off, weld us a pipe in place" then even if you pay them, you're still up on the deal 

It just depends on how friendly your MOT tester is.

6 hours ago, barefoot said:

I've about had enough of commercial breaks on youtube. If you've not had a look at my channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thebarefootchef/videos - take a look quickly, because the whole lot is about to be deleted.

It's a total waste of fucking time now.

6 hours ago, loserone said:

I hadn't seen that and will take a look.

I have actually gone for YT premium because I watch enough of it to justify the expense.

2 hours ago, Talbot said:

Move the whole lot over to Vimeo.  No advertising.  Yet.

You can get YT premium by using a free VPN and signing up with a fake address in India, just use an address generator and a fee free card, it costs me around £1.30 a month, you can then just turn the VPN off and use it normally, I've been doing it for a year or so, its quite a saving.

) Delete all YouTube apps
2) Change VPN location to India
3) Search for YouTube premium on google
4) Click the link, should come up as 129 rupees per month which is £1.25
5) Use a card that doesn’t charge international fees such as clarity card.
6) use a address generator to fill in details and pay...

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

large plate across the floor preventing access.  The moment they jack up the car they'll see it's more trouble than it's worth and move on to the next one.  You never need to make anything absolutely secure, just more secure than the next one.