The grumpy thread

outlaw118

13 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

That’s not the Black Death ! 
Black Death is when you can’t even see the injectors below the connectors .

Glad i spotted it pretty early.... Guess using A/C often and being sensitive to smells helped a lot 

Ordered some parts for the wife's Fusion from Car Parts 4 less. Their website was acting a little odd. I needed 4 spark plugs, an air filter and some HT leads but when I got to the checkout there was only 1 spark plug in my basket. After a few attempts at altering the quantity it finally went though..... after I'd paid I realised I'd actually ordered 1x set of leads, 1x spark plug and 3x air filters. Doh! I immediately rang their number to cancel the order and after 5 mins on hold listening to a message telling that delivery times were now a minimum of 1 week due to COVID I got through to a nice lady who found my order and cancelled it. Great. I was late for work so decided to re-order the correct items the following day. 

The following afternoon I got out of bed after a long night shift to find 1x set of plug leads, 1x spark plug and 3x air filters sat by the front door. My wife had taken delivery that morning. Arsebiscuits. 

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

4th day of jury service.

4th day of being sent home in the afternoon as not even been called in for selection. If they don't actually need me, I can do something productive, such as go to work or repair the Suzuki's exhaust mounts.

Could he worse, I ended up on a long case and did September- Christmas, studiously making notes and cross referencing files and files of evidence with 5 solicitors for 5 dependents only for the case to he abandoned...

9 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Could he worse, I ended up on a long case and did September- Christmas, studiously making notes and cross referencing files and files of evidence with 5 solicitors for 5 dependents only for the case to he abandoned...

That must have been disheartening.

I'm going on holiday to sunny* Hull on Wednesday. Taking the disco as more room for crap. Checked all the fluids and had a look round underneath just in case the chassis has snapped or other typical land rover fails.

Bastard fuel filter is leaking. I know they've put it in the most stupid place possible, but does nobody make a filter that doesn't rust thru within a year? Think I've had all the major brands now.

22 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

The Iveco has done an Iveco.  Stopped for fuel and it won't restart.  Waiting for the AA - got my money's worth out of them this past year. 

Hopefully the AA chap or chapess will be in a good mood when they arrive, having seen what the vehicle is and realising its not an omgmodern/insert_ @Barry Cade _tale_here job (in theory)

Tried hitting bits of it with rocks whilst you wait? Might jar it into life, or people will just leave you alone

For the record, We're childless weirdos (at least, We're viewed as such by people. Haggard, tired looking people)

I agreed to look after my nieces for a few hours today. Fuck me, I think I need counselling. I'm not used to the amount of noise they produce.

As much as I love them, they are quite hard work.

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Hopefully the AA chap or chapess will be in a good mood when they arrive, having seen what the vehicle is and realising its not an omgmodern/insert_ @Barry Cade _tale_here job (in theory)

Tried hitting bits of it with rocks whilst you wait? Might jar it into life, or people will just leave you alone

Turned out to be a loose spade terminal on the actuator wire.  Strange that it's never given any problems before...  It started up fine once that was sorted and is now on its way south with its lucky* new owner.

Funnily enough the AA bloke was the absolute spit of Trigger - glasses, hairstyle, accent, everything - except about a foot shorter.

4 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Has not affected me or family, but........ WTF?

The stealing of bonnets off Peugeot 5008 is now "a thing" in Rotterdam.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2380548-criminelen-stelen-de-ene-na-de-andere-peugeot-motorkap-in-rotterdam

Hmmm. Thats as wierd as the "thing" a couple of years back here in the UK when body panels like bumpers and bonnets kept getting stolen off Vauxhall Corsas.

Just had my first covid jab today and not looking forward to tomorrow when I might 'feel' it.

3 hours ago, iainrcz said:

For the record, We're childless weirdos (at least, We're viewed as such by people. Haggard, tired looking people)

I agreed to look after my nieces for a few hours today. Fuck me, I think I need counselling. I'm not used to the amount of noise they produce.

They do say that children are like farts. Everyone prefers their own.

Just had my insurance renewal come through,£309,about a tenner less than last year,except I now have a years NCB.run a new quote through with the same insurer,increasing mileage from.5 to 9 thousand,£224! So I've just paid for that to start from when the current one ends,why they can't just send me.the best price to start with who knows.thinking this might be the case I had set current policy not to autorenew a few days ago lol

23 hours ago, iainrcz said:

I tell my nieces that between visits I spend my days in quiet meditation listening to Gregorian chanting

25 minutes ago, plasticvandan said:

Just had my insurance renewal come through,£309,about a tenner less than last year,except I now have a years NCB.run a new quote through with the same insurer,increasing mileage from.5 to 9 thousand,£224! So I've just paid for that to start from when the current one ends,why they can't just send me.the best price to start with who knows.thinking this might be the case I had set current policy not to autorenew a few days ago lol

Loyalty is never rewarded by insurance companies, I always shift every 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, plasticvandan said:

NEVER allow an insurance policy to auto-renew.
ALWAYS shop around every year. It's 10  minutes on a Compare the Scoundrel website, I'm over 50 with 20-odd years NCB and just about every year I find someone £50-£100 cheaper than whoever I'm with. They get the courtesy of one phone call to see if they want to match the lower quote and that's it. Esure lost my business this year because they couldn't be arsed answering the phone so I went elsewhere and paid £220 instead of £270.

On 13/05/2021 at 16:14, dozeydustman said:

4th day of jury service.

4th day of being sent home in the afternoon as not even been called in for selection. If they don't actually need me, I can do something productive, such as go to work or repair the Suzuki's exhaust mounts.

I did my self -assessment, wifes self assessmenr and VAT and  LTD company accounts using the free court WiFi, whilst waiting for people to stop pleading guilty. 

I tell my nieces that between visits I spend my days in quiet meditation listening to Gregorian chanting
We were "boring" at one point.
Probably because I kept telling them to stop fiddling with shit.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

On 5/3/2021 at 8:06 PM, Floatylight said:

1 - Had a stack of outdoor things to do today  weather is absolutely shocking.

2 - FatherFL is in hospital with cancer, bit of a roller coaster.. (again)

3 - Seems I lost £120 in those stupid slippery £20 notes yesterday, think it must have fallen out when filling up.

4 - SmollestFL seems to be employed by someone who is a bit of an arse, his mental health is fragile at the best of times..

Ramble over, at least I've got tomorrow off..

Update - 

1 - Blah, jobs now done

2- Dad out of hospital but now got hospital bed in the front room and carers 4 times a day, prognosis - not good, doesn't want further treatment, Step mum struggling...

3 - Found lost £120 down the side of the car seat tonight - muchly cheered up..

4 - Smollest's boss turned into even more of a tosser and quite rightly Smollest sacked it off, got a new job lined up starting the day after his 18th in a couple of weeks in a warehouse where they are going to put him through his forklift licence.

TL:DR - some ups, some downs.

22 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

Hmmm. Thats as wierd as the "thing" a couple of years back here in the UK when body panels like bumpers and bonnets kept getting stolen off Vauxhall Corsas.

Just had my first covid jab today and not looking forward to tomorrow when I might 'feel' it.

My Eldest Son is a mechanic at a BMW main dealer, he says the biggest issue they are having is steering wheels being stolen from new 1 series on the forecourt. 
at its worst about 3 a week were being stolen by the same thief (takes him approx 4 minutes from smashing the window to running away wheel in hand) every time as they caught the guy on cctv, 

1 hour ago, goosey said:

My Eldest Son is a mechanic at a BMW main dealer, he says the biggest issue they are having is steering wheels being stolen from new 1 series on the forecourt. 
at its worst about 3 a week were being stolen by the same thief (takes him approx 4 minutes from smashing the window to running away wheel in hand) every time as they caught the guy on cctv, 

Why? Is there something special about them?

I know that flat bottomed VW steering wheels cost an arm and a leg. I wanted one for my Transporter as i had changed the seats, not realising at the time-because I was so pleased I had got them to fit the floor runners-that the seat base was 4 inches higher.

Easiest and cheapest way to get around this was to reinstate the standard VW seats.