The grumpy thread

outlaw118

9 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

It's nothing the fault of the house, every single thing we've had issues with (save for a relatively minor water ingress issue in the Atrium which has been there since day one) has been the fault of the owner who was in here before us. 

Classic interior designer fodder...designed to look shiny and fancy with no thought given to whether it actually works, much less how to service it later.  Then with the installation done by the lowest bidder with the cheapest materials possible just to ensure total misery.

If I'd known it was going to end up being as much of a battle as that I'd have just taken the time to drain down the whole house and gutted the whole lot in there.  It would actually have been quicker at the end of the day and definitely less hassle.

Still may well happen as it needs to be anchored to something...but I can't do that without moving at least one pipe as in classic lazy manner there are three layers of pipe in a couple of places.  May as well just rip the lot out and do it tidily.

Tie wraps ? 

5 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Grumpy because I bought this thinking there would be 2 as the description quite clearly shows 2 lamps and states 2 total (as well as lamps plural in the title)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362855416003

but only 1 lamp shows up so I kindly ask the seller where is the 2nd lamp please

and he gives me a shitty 1 line response that your only getting 1 lamp

so I open an ebay item not as described case which the seller never responded to, so I asked ebay to step in who are now saying I have to return the item for a refund and that they will refund me once a tracking number of some kind shows its arrived at the sellers address

but I dont want to, I do want one of these GE 1000W Sodium lamps for the collection, not to mention the pain of packing it all up again

but at the same time I feel the item was not fully described so id like my 2nd lamp or a (partial even) refund of some kind

and so im not sure what to do, as the only options are return the item for a full refund or cancel the whole ebay dispute and take it on the chin?

Smash another lesser-value lamp and send it back to him?! 

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Grumpy because I bought this thinking there would be 2 as the description quite clearly shows 2 lamps and states 2 total (as well as lamps plural in the title)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362855416003

but only 1 lamp shows up so I kindly ask the seller where is the 2nd lamp please

and he gives me a shitty 1 line response that your only getting 1 lamp

so I open an ebay item not as described case which the seller never responded to, so I asked ebay to step in who are now saying I have to return the item for a refund and that they will refund me once a tracking number of some kind shows its arrived at the sellers address

but I dont want to, I do want one of these GE 1000W Sodium lamps for the collection, not to mention the pain of packing it all up again

but at the same time I feel the item was not fully described so id like my 2nd lamp or a (partial even) refund of some kind

and so im not sure what to do, as the only options are return the item for a full refund or cancel the whole ebay dispute and take it on the chin?

Surely another will appear in the future? The seller is taking the piss as the ad clearly states you're buying two lamps. 

Send it back and leave stinking feedback. 

5 hours ago, New POD said:

If its rare, and you really must have it?

Dint send it back.

Ask for a 50% refund. 

And suggest he list the other one on ebay at whatever price he wants, and you'll decide if you wsnt to buy it.  

I did ask for a 50% refund but the guy never responded sadly, 

2 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Surely another will appear in the future? The seller is taking the piss as the ad clearly states you're buying two lamps. 

Send it back and leave stinking feedback. 

I did wonder had they been sent separately hence when I first messaged him I just asked kindly where is the 2nd lamp etc

just incase it had, but clearly it had not

1 hour ago, bobdisk said:

Keep the one you have and leave stinking feedback explaining whats happened, and seller is not to be trusted. All will see it and be put off buying from him. OK, the one you have will be twice the cost it should have been, but you will still have one.

its probably what ill do

as I do very much want one of these for the collection as it goes with my rare elliptical diffused version which I got in the past and it will be nice to have a matching pair/set

IMG_1494.thumb.JPG.cee10143c4836df38e626ed737a6e9a9.JPG

and General Electric 1Kw Sodium lamps tend to be a little more scarce  then those from other brands for whatever reason 

but had I known it was just for the 1 I may of gritted teeth and passed on the listing as money does not exactly grow on trees sadly!

(with 2 I at least have a backup incase something happens to the other or I could use it in a future trade with a fellow collector to get another lamp I want)

Yesterday I booked my hotel for FOTU to check in on 30th July. Paid and thought nothing of it.

But no, they booked it for yesterday and today, so I've pissed £48.00 up the wall with no way I can amend the booking as I'm supposed to have checked out by now.

Fuck Premier Inn's online booking service.

8 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Weirdly specific burglary.

Getting an extra one from the council costs about £80 and takes months for them to get around to actioning...and plenty of people round here have big enough gardens it's a struggle to get everything in in the summer - especially as the tips aren't allowing anyone in with trailers at the moment - which is how we usually dispose of everything that doesn't just fit in the bin.

48 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Yesterday I booked my hotel for FOTU to check in on 30th July. Paid and thought nothing of it.

But no, they booked it for yesterday and today, so I've pissed £48.00 up the wall with no way I can amend the booking as I'm supposed to have checked out by now.

Fuck Premier Inn's online booking service.

Two calls and sorted. Yay.

On 5/11/2021 at 7:16 PM, Zelandeth said:

Finally!

IMG_20210511_181027.thumb.jpg.e9f62672d59dfcaf7d03dfb42b25d046.jpg

Took ALL bloody afternoon, but it's in.

That's a bit more plastic banished from the plumbing.  It's probably absolutely fine, but it just never instills confidence and I've had one of these fittings come apart before.  Though that's most likely due to poor fitting...I just don't like them  

IMG_20210511_174726.thumb.jpg.e0859f6cbb40738f21a1e9d1be88c2fe.jpg

Discovered that the locking collars on all but one of the fittings under there hadn't been done up.

I need to revisit it at some point as there is *nothing* supporting anything and because all the elbows are those push fit things everything just flops and flexes around.

I would personally reduce the number of fittings. Too many tees and bends. Greater chance of something leaking, maybe a loss of pressure/flow.

I could write you the whys and hows, but this guy will do it for me and he will be concise.

Hello grumpiness, long time no see, 

A couple days ago, my wonderfully reliable C220 CDI started throwing weird smells when I turned on the AC.

Thought it was just me, until a friend says "damn it smells like exhaust in here".

I had no clue what it could be. Rang mechanics, they all said it could be a flex pipe or something.

And then i pop the engine cover off and start it.

Tstststststststststststststststststststststs

Oh god oh fuck when did Mercedes start using garden sprinklers in OM646 diesels?

And then i looked properly.

IMG_20210512_075613.thumb.jpg.da98b7fddf7aa9d3d3d669561c7d84ea.jpg

that's right. The "CDI Black Death" finally caught me unnoticed. And this is why I hate plastic engine covers. Because I could have spotted the problem before it started to stink.

But with the cover on, the "tstststststststststs" was completely silent.

Off it goes to the mechanic...

Fitted some Moog drop links to the Merc this evening, for some bizarre reason the hex on the end of the thread for you to insert an Allen key to stop the ball joint spinning was round instead of hexagon shaped which made the job of fitting the new parts 10x harder.

2 hours ago, OM646 said:

Hello grumpiness, long time no see, 

A couple days ago, my wonderfully reliable C220 CDI started throwing weird smells when I turned on the AC.

Thought it was just me, until a friend says "damn it smells like exhaust in here".

I had no clue what it could be. Rang mechanics, they all said it could be a flex pipe or something.

And then i pop the engine cover off and start it.

Tstststststststststststststststststststststs

Oh god oh fuck when did Mercedes start using garden sprinklers in OM646 diesels?

And then i looked properly.

IMG_20210512_075613.thumb.jpg.da98b7fddf7aa9d3d3d669561c7d84ea.jpg

that's right. The "CDI Black Death" finally caught me unnoticed. And this is why I hate plastic engine covers. Because I could have spotted the problem before it started to stink.

But with the cover on, the "tstststststststststs" was completely silent.

Off it goes to the mechanic...

At least the injectors are on top and easy to access, the rears on each side of my om642  were a pain.

also that’s the cleanest Black Death I’ve ever seen 

14 minutes ago, goosey said:

the hex on the end of the thread for you to insert an Allen key to stop the ball joint spinning was round instead of hexagon shaped

The part likely missed the hexing process.  Much like when you sometimes randomly find a screw in a box of 1000 that has no crosshead stamped into it, or a bolt in a bag of 500 that hasn't had a thread rolled on it.

21 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

they will refund me once a tracking number of some kind shows its arrived at the sellers address

That's begging for a box with a smashed lamp to be sent back to him.  As soon as it shows as delivered, you get your refund.  Even if by some miracle he claims it wasn't the same lamp being sent back, it's been damaged in transit, which isn't your issue.

3 minutes ago, Talbot said:

That's begging for a box with a smashed lamp to be sent back to him.  As soon as it shows as delivered, you get your refund.  Even if by some miracle he claims it wasn't the same lamp being sent back, it's been damaged in transit, which isn't your issue.

Yeah a similar thought did cross my mind! but knowing my luck it would probably backfire on me on some way (and plus id still have to get my sorry ass to the post office and back)

I do wonder If I should of opened an item not arrived case instead of the item not as described case that I did open but its a bit late now, I just decided to end the case and take it on the chin but I have duly left appropriate negative feedback (will be interesting to see if the seller responds in any way!)

I am however pleased to report the 1 lamp I did get works lovely :) 

image.thumb.png.e9fc11fdece3908d8dbeb5326f38233d.png

and is suitably stupidly bright as you would hope for a 1000W Sodium lamp

130,000 lumens baby! :) 

Go one better, put an intact lamp in the box, seal it up with some fragile tape, stick the ebay return label on it, then book it in with Hermes. 

Take a step back, and watch with a smile as it gets launched into the back of a bashed up Sprinter at a million mph. You can sleep soundly in the knowledge that the seller will be hoovering up shards for days. 

18 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Some git has nicked our garden waste bin.

Just discovered this after trimming a bunch of overhanging greenery.  Great.

Where we live, the bins are actually serialised with a number on top. I remember reading somewhere in house documentation a record of these numbers and they did match what was stamped on the lid of the bin. 

How about you ask the council to tell her your bin number is? Then have a good look about on the next bin day.

13 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

That’s not the Black Death ! 
Black Death is when you can’t even see the injectors below the connectors .

Glad i spotted it pretty early.... Guess using A/C often and being sensitive to smells helped a lot 

Ordered some parts for the wife's Fusion from Car Parts 4 less. Their website was acting a little odd. I needed 4 spark plugs, an air filter and some HT leads but when I got to the checkout there was only 1 spark plug in my basket. After a few attempts at altering the quantity it finally went though..... after I'd paid I realised I'd actually ordered 1x set of leads, 1x spark plug and 3x air filters. Doh! I immediately rang their number to cancel the order and after 5 mins on hold listening to a message telling that delivery times were now a minimum of 1 week due to COVID I got through to a nice lady who found my order and cancelled it. Great. I was late for work so decided to re-order the correct items the following day. 

The following afternoon I got out of bed after a long night shift to find 1x set of plug leads, 1x spark plug and 3x air filters sat by the front door. My wife had taken delivery that morning. Arsebiscuits.