The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 06/05/2021 at 20:06, Wack said:

Anybody else think this is a disaster waiting to happen 

I keep seeing this ad on Facebook , doesn't look safe to me Screenshot_20210506-194531_Facebook.thumb.jpg.3492944a83ce1ee27697376c7e7f3d9f.jpg

On 06/05/2021 at 20:19, reb said:

I've seen those in a few different places and I'm still not at all sure what it's supposed to do.

On 06/05/2021 at 20:22, chaseracer said:

Amputate feet extremely efficiently?

Our favourite product examiner, oil tester and lawnmower torturer examines and tests the Foot Remover XL in this video:

I watched that in bed last night! Struck me as amazing for cleaning/clearing overgrown block paving and general weeds from cracks removal, but useless for chopping

I'm surprised no one's used one for bodywork... Could clean a sill up from a nice standing position, safely away from the working area etc

6 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Been waiting for over four hours now for the water delivery company tanker to turn up. Supposed to be here at 8, and not answering my calls or messages.

I wonder if I am on a blacklist here? Everyone is paid cash, so its not like I don't pay them.

The following tradesmen, who all made arrangements to call round, have still not shown their faces. These are the gardener, skip hire company, swimming pool engineer (he can fuck right off anyway, as I have it sorted out now), electrician and  a builder.

Only person that ever turns up to meetings at the appointed time is my legal rep. She is the wife of the bloke that fitted my alarm and awnings, who also keeps to the appointments we make.

And all those failing to turn up are local Spaniards. Maybe they are busy because it seems that all the "cash in hand" Brit workers have disappeared (not that I'd use any of them anyway).

You have not got a public water supply or your own well?

touch wood I have not had issues for appointments recently.

I even managed to get my TIE within the prescribed timescale and with appointment next day after enquiring if it was ready for collect. But there are not many foreigners here.

Ordered a new dyer from Amazon. It arrived a day early. But getting the old one taken away was a rigmarole. time on live chat, stupid questions for the form to be filled in. But they have too because of EU laws.

I've been staring at various uni assignments for days on end and have written nothing. 

One is due tonight, one is due tomorrow, and more are due in the coming week. 

Out of a combined 3500 words that are due by midnight tomorrow, I've written less than 90. 

My head is empty. 

I wish the wife would get banned from fucking B&M Bargains. Constantly bringing home the Chinese dog shit they sell in there, last week it was a toilet seat that despite several attempts keeps sliding sidewards and coming loose. Then it was a indoor broom, shaft bent upon first use with finger tip pressure. This week she has invited them to burn the house down courtesy of one of those wax burner things you plug into the socket. Completely fucking dangerous, it gets to an unbelievably hot temperature which shouts ‘fire risk’ to me. Fortunately tomorrow it’ll cause the electrics to trip and I’ll condemn it. 

Bob the fucking builder at it again. Considerate* parking this time.

MdWtzuzYCUCnO5n6NxbO8TZCVGRZ__KN2u9M395dbUN52ojDv_8brI6KS7jiHLhIgiIw4ZlFI0pwMNvd3J9jl13n0Bf9AUmSYlVv8DNEntTpYSxOY_lsxEddMFOlyjO7U_rLtSwU6a8mhUIYoghU31_vdvYn2cadnAA9CtmBXRpCOcYZdvo3h61nAQY0OxkH_hIo_f5LtO3rYpkT1sojJNr7ST5_2GWR6c_xA0yDEvJg-4DwL471uarEXgzoIPd4iOfY1CaVz5MkIZ9RrdtHL6AV6-lqvvLC1xvaGFEIomFK1ifCJnd0HWG_iOzdkLo11S8wCluP-5qCu4jDivU1cvKKACc8L2SZmkeO7MtjOc3QFyt7L0IDKJzkTMb92MnGaYcWpjYh7Rv9-8cVrj9TeTH31Pm-CQHMPJ-qibd77TZSpwzsMfqwpvQ_liCkJUDNrcVlmFBBW6YFyl2f5GlXws0S2W99XiDW__L-y--1V2RsGEoPlW9JtIcTXFdJOshWX_e2gJfcN6pxxPKk5ISJrDa7--hGcJJ_2OS3tZ-zoVqsd08dHJS61hPQQvpqhp_CvziS4OepnGaxQhFjXhNMZGFYfgeMBotIHzL_uFYApO16UzU7v0SSusNVtDV9IKEH4uj3DPwQ555s4ATLpSpXkid6VtSRLh6y5cncaYfK5Xvbrm_iNN9bG-UfCKnCfvvcmGyUcFXLcXo8WO-xWxuFetsdDQ=w493-h657-no?authuser=0

tZAfAL0yHijd23dJrGa_zQbPetmJCBby9bWxhB3iDe7yP83lLhCXpYnewBscZGiRqT7dX4bjvWKIQUwadh5o8Ii6b42dOkVSkuoMvMnFZHxnaXCorIOBd8qLsvE095dF3I2UJBuJ62WDU4ZUl-hPrsDCDkdTnxCDcEoDxGVTRDe-t5uqjgPtjulpMKMkxqFTDQSigiU29qv3KIBx9_JoyIwrBccrCiaAQSY9yiU9yyKlXW3cB0vHFv_3AEIpp1G0QXL4J9KUCiYvGQJeFX6UlQ0OsHoJA2_LZM50zX7W7otca1WvXLINTZNoDRQ4DsOYjlIq6q4ndyuB8SkLxHEtbrT43kCgYV3kpB_zA_tQp1_EvRsWnw4ItuYoPNBdN1Vf6FwYN3tCQW-LacEsBKpdA19VbZjNwur__ykpbcG8oWkmS3S_6Tepcqo12rQuNBHp6cD0DOdLXtRJauEI7WVe1SUJZ9QzaY8b-2sQbHFJBM9Y0irgsRTnS_-qzl8WCu-AzOxzwDQSGHgbRfMa7pBnzMefHApLSaVWAHc24ghGINS9oSfh8jCMI7T0POc8C2JiwqYe7wSY7VzO6KbHuVN5Q2mM4CYRqjE_2z6QwrgHqYrd7hUe0WmXMFbxJhhnMs-FxZTha6twL5wNTy0P8gN6rNNG-2FqaH682DlCwF1-T-di_NUCvVOgsM0b_bvNlKgHZL3Ut2krpI3GR0s2J8AOJQV7CQ=w493-h657-no?authuser=0

Curtain twitch network thinks new pikey truck may have had attempted theft. Blocking pavement isn't going to stop a determined pikey if they want it.

Suspect attempting to report said great parking is futile.

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

I'd absolutely report that as a serious hazard.  There's parking on the pavement, and then there's this... which is absolutely taking the piss.

Best way to grass? I'm thinking it's prolly council's problem and they're 9 - 5 when he's out.

By coincidence it is bin day tomorrow. I may* be slow in taking my bin in.

46 minutes ago, Crackers said:

CCs are more important to me than word counts.

I wish all my assignments were the word count equivalent of a Trabant.

could always do what a bloke i knew did for his dissertation and just write a fake wordcount on the cover sheet

5 hours ago, Remspoor said:

You have not got a public water supply or your own well?

touch wood I have not had issues for appointments recently.

I even managed to get my TIE within the prescribed timescale and with appointment next day after enquiring if it was ready for collect. But there are not many foreigners here.

Ordered a new dyer from Amazon. It arrived a day early. But getting the old one taken away was a rigmarole. time on live chat, stupid questions for the form to be filled in. But they have too because of EU laws.

No mains water or well, just a big underground tank. The tank lasts me about 6 months.

Anyway, the tanker turned up at 8pm tonight and proceeded to fill my half empty pool, plus two 1000 litre plastic tanks I use for watering the garden throughout the summer. Total cost was €80, which i think was good.

My TIE was so straight forward too. This was backdated to the date my application went in, not, as I thought, the date it was approved. 

I've got to buy a washing machine and a built in oven, so will no doubt find out about the disposal of my old oven.

31 minutes ago, Crackers said:

I'd give it a go, but I think it'd probably be quite obvious if the cover sheet said 2500 words when there were actually only 87.

aye they might notice that. either way i hope your creative juices will soon flow out like a cascading waterfall

2 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Best way to grass? I'm thinking it's prolly council's problem and they're 9 - 5 when he's out.

I'd go with the 5-0 to begin with.  That's blatant obstruction of the pavement, which is an offence.  If you happened to mention that it's forced several people to walk in the road, possibly with prams, and there have been a few near misses, that might make them take notice.  I reported something not dis-similar many years ago where the parked car was almost as bad as this; initially the 5-0 seemed a little dis-interested, so I commented, "OK, well I'll call you back when there's been a fatal collision with a pedestrian forced into the road.  With what I can see, it won't be long".

10 mins later and the fuzz had appeared, the car was moved and the driver had a nice big fine.  Which is good, because he was a complete cunt.  If he'd been more pleasant, I'd have just asked him to move it.  But he wasn't, so I didn't.  He even had a massive sweary rant at the fuzz who turned up, which I'm sure in no way affected their decision to throw the book at him.

11 hours ago, Crackers said:

I've been staring at various uni assignments for days on end and have written nothing. 

Out of a combined 3500 words that are due by midnight tomorrow, I've written less than 90. 

My head is empty. 

Any luck yet? 

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Any luck yet? 

No.

Couldn't drag myself out of bed this morning even though I'd told myself I was going to focus on it today, it just isn't happening. 

I did manage to summon the effort to put in a job application elsewhere last night though. I think that's a sign.

18 hours ago, Crackers said:

My head is empty. 

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Can your essays be summed up using three and a half illustrations?

Whoever thought installing a sink here needs to be covered in jam and thrown into a fire ant colony.

IMG_20210511_143934.thumb.jpg.ee5b4a06b784c71c48a76314eca274a1.jpg

Tap is fubar and I'm trying to replace it.

IMG_20210511_143945.thumb.jpg.7c8c099e5b0a8652361bff9f592c0824.jpg

Getting to that will be fun.  It's set so far back they had to cut a hole in the back of the cupboard wall for clearance.

IMG_20210511_143939.thumb.jpg.2afe19969f435a94bd5b7752e45d97d2.jpg

Oh, and then I find this nonsense.

IMG_20210511_144643.thumb.jpg.ce39ee08cfd185e9590a482f2f23d529.jpg

Which pisses me off even more as I specifically asked the plumber who fitted the last tap (we were still in the middle of moving in so didn't have time for that nonsense) to get rid of the plastic nonsense and fit standard connectors so replacement of the tap in future would be easier.  Apparently they ignored me.  So I've now also got to figure out how to get that apart, and probably either need to go out again to buy new tails or replace the elbow.

That's *after* I managed to get the water turned off because the isolator valves look like this.

IMG_20210511_144648.thumb.jpg.c10c620b559e2b952f3358e154739533.jpg

(That's the better one).

I hate working with this plastic shit at the best of times.

Never, ever, ever, ever consider buying a house where the former owner was an interior designer.  Just don't.  Run, run as fast and as far as you can the opposite direction.

How is the sink held in place?

Looks similar to the one we have planned for our kitchen. Although ours will be straight. 

Drop the sink. And remove it from the cupboard to gain lots of room. 

If we are taking DIY.  My daughter had an 18th Birthday party. Charlie (a teenage drunk I assume) put his knee through the bath panel. 

It's taken me 8 years to be arsed to get a new one. Given that the original supplier went bust. 

£87  

Fitted in 15 mins. I won't go into details but whilst underneath the bath I found the cause of the reason the drainage blocks up. That's right. The outlet pipe, goes the full length of the bath, with a very slight incline. Rectified. 

Doubled the value of the house. 

First picture is making sure it's the right size

Second is it fitted. 

IMG-20210511-WA0000.jpeg

20210511_125537.jpg

What appears to be Tigerseal glueing it to the underside of the workshop and the top of a wooden frame that was built from the top before the counter top was laid on top.

Have got 90% of the way there and just discovered that the tails on the new tap are shorter.  So I've got a 3" Gap between the pipe and what I need to attach to it.

Much swearing happened.

18 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

No mains water or well, just a big underground tank. The tank lasts me about 6 months.

Anyway, the tanker turned up at 8pm tonight and proceeded to fill my half empty pool, plus two 1000 litre plastic tanks I use for watering the garden throughout the summer. Total cost was €80, which i think was good.

My TIE was so straight forward too. This was backdated to the date my application went in, not, as I thought, the date it was approved. 

I've got to buy a washing machine and a built in oven, so will no doubt find out about the disposal of my old oven.

If you have old ones of the oven and washing machine you can get money off at the moment with The "scrappage scheme/help to purchase more efficient white goods".

All local shops will have details on how much and for what white goods can be purchased. Although government money like this has a long time period in reality the money runs out before the end of the scheme.

Dryers were not included this year and we found a bargain on Amazon. Local shops lost out this time.

Finally!

IMG_20210511_181027.thumb.jpg.e9f62672d59dfcaf7d03dfb42b25d046.jpg

Took ALL bloody afternoon, but it's in.

That's a bit more plastic banished from the plumbing.  It's probably absolutely fine, but it just never instills confidence and I've had one of these fittings come apart before.  Though that's most likely due to poor fitting...I just don't like them  

IMG_20210511_174726.thumb.jpg.e0859f6cbb40738f21a1e9d1be88c2fe.jpg

Discovered that the locking collars on all but one of the fittings under there hadn't been done up.

I need to revisit it at some point as there is *nothing* supporting anything and because all the elbows are those push fit things everything just flops and flexes around.

4 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Interesting electricity/water potential interface there, Zel.  "Interior designer", you say...?

Oh don't even go there.  To be fair that plug is for the dishwasher...and given it used to be a built in unit I'm not really sure where else it would go (especially given they only seem to come with about a metre of power lead).  There's a window in the way above the worktop there.

Finding the power supply for the jacuzzi style bath thing was completely non-waterproofed under the bath was a fun moment.

Oh...and the live, abandoned wiring in the loft above the bathroom from the old lighting that had just been tucked away behind the insulation so it looked tidy...this house is a total nightmare of bodges, poor decisions and shoddy workmanship from the previous owner's time here.

That looked like a real nightmare. Glad to see you've used proper valves for easier* tap or washer replacement in future. I dislike and distrust plastic fittings even though I have a section of 1.5" blue pipe at one of my shops which has given no trouble (yet).