The grumpy thread

outlaw118

It's my daughters birthday party today and of course to be covid safe it needs to be outside. Thanks to the amazing Scottish spring it's pissing with rain, cold and windy , which is ideal* when you've setup a bunch of gazebos in the garden.

If it was just raining and cold it would be fine but the wind is just a serious pisser. 

Bought a new computer chair off eBay yesterday evening; the old one has suffered from having my fat arse on it for so long, the hydraulic ram thing is knackered and the leather* is split.

Found a replacement, paid my money - it was cheap, but advertised as "seller refurbished" - no box, he had loads of them. New seller, zero feedback.

Opened up my inbox:

The item you won is no longer available

Hello capri4evar,

We're writing to let you know that we've removed an item you recently won due to concerns with the seller's account:
384150276322 - Executive Racing Gaming Office Chair Swivel Sport PU Leather Computer Desk Black

Fucks sake.

3 minutes ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

Seeing the frankly sub par fitment job the trimmer did on my Jags interior, moreso given the cost and the fact he had the interior itself  for 11 months and the car for  6. The icing being the electric windows and stereo now dont work either.

I trust you've not paid them for this work and will insist upon rectification?

5 minutes ago, R1152 said:

I trust you've not paid them for this work and will insist upon rectification?

Sadly yes. Ive no intention of giving  the car back to correct it as I know the workmanship wouldn't be acceptable or timely and the fact is I'm now 200 miles from him instead of 40 odd miles.  No way am I going down the "ready in2-3 weeks" only to be told 2 days before the agreed date..it is delayed ...again. I've still got a single Rover seat with him I was supposed to collect Tuesday and ne has jsut asked for another week

The TL/DR (in a grandpa simpson long winded story way) this  was all organised in the before times. By the time I'd got it  back from the painters (March 2020) refitted the  chromework, lights and dash etc got a broken electric window working it was the end of June  and off to him and I accepted despite stamping my feet and holding my breath,  delays out of my control had happened. But we agreed on an August finish, which became September,  then October  and finally near the end of November when I managed to collect it and take it to my sisters  to store it (because , hey, let's move from London to Wales in the middle of a pandemic).   I've no desire to waste my time further schlepping cars about and more importantly to me being without it for probably months and get it back possibly fixed - I'd rather be enjoying it and using it.

@Low Horatio gearbox I'm really sorry to read all that: it must be both frustrating and heart-breaking at the same time.

I've had a similar experience with no less than three people attempting to restore the cabinet of a possibly unique item that I own. I am hoping that the next choice I make will be the charm, but I have already sunk several thousand quid into this object and still have nothing to show for it.

@R1152

Yep. He came recommended and  most of his work is good.

But ..the fitment of the doorcards is poor holes and plastic fastners don't  line up,   he didn't put in any anti damp membrane  there either,   i found half a 4 mm drillbit stuck in the door/doorcard (drillbit and missing  membrane found as the window switches were inoperable ad the doorcards had to come off), doorcards are not attached at the door bottoms beyond the armrests/pockets holding them on, he lost  a number of fastners, lost the ittle pull handle off the glovebox, the fur flex around the doorframe is another correct, the kangol seatbelts do not retract properly now and inoperable windows and stereo. A bit of a laundry list and can be fixed some easily by me or a professional for the shoddy doorcards but shouldn't need it.

Yes I should get him to fix it but it's a day out to drop  it off (400 mile 8 hour round trip) and  day to pick it up and  a lift back (or trains),  £200 in fuel for the Jag itself for say 400 quid outright and 2 days time  plus  a month to 2 months without it (mwahahahaha🤔😂😂😂😂😂🤣). Assuming he sorts it, which is debatable. I've now gotten a contact locally who could sort it for me for that sort of money in a week maybe 10 days.

It does irk and I share your frustration, seems doing the job you were paid for is a bit much.

The irony is if the windows had worked I'd probbaly not have found out for another few months if at all🤷‍♂️

Had a terrible shock today.  Went to Tesco in Consett - 30-odd mile return.

The Oil Light came on as I was almost home! :( 

Haven't seen an oil light in two decades.

Also, due to the Covidbollox, have done far fewer miles than usual, 3,800 approx. since I bought the car in July last year.

Washing machine insurance is a bleeding sham. My family discovered that our "appliance insurance" does cover disposal and plumbing, but at an extra cost undisclosed until the fitter tells you how much it'll be on the day, probably with the spanner in one hand and a sack barrow in the other. Naturally, they put that kind of stuff in the small print.

So the Volvo has disposed of the old Siemens and has transported our second-hand-now-mine AEG to the unit, where we can probably use it if I get an adapter for the tap and an extension lead. Anyhow, I'm a tad miffed I never got to use it, and I won't be able to until I've got a place of my own. It's far superior to what's going in the house IMO.

Insurers have sourced a Siemens WM14T481GB, which is basically a direct drive version of our old washing machine they've been making for a while. I hate how it looks and feels, the lack of buttons and the fact that it'll probably be a horrible, plasticky piece of shit when they come to fit it tomorrow. It looks bloody fussy for something that is designed to wash clothes. It's going to live in the utility room which handles cats, dogs and my clumsy grandmother (who owns the machine) will have a field day trying to figure out how to work the damn thing in the first place. All kinds of shit will be thrown at, under and splatted on it so I doubt it's going to enjoy its life here. I'm glad it doesn't belong to us, but I hate the fact we have no choice but to use it.

Quite why my grandmother bought insurance is beyond me. Their customer service was bad enough. Her response to why she bought insurance was "Oh I always do it dear" which is a load of bollocks considering she didn't use it on the dishwasher which shat itself a couple months back.

I should look on the bright side- at least I now have my first appliance to fit in my house one day.

On 5/8/2021 at 8:41 PM, MarvinsMom said:

watching some Top of the Pops thing on telly,

just had Carol Decker on, of T'Pau fame from back in the olden days.

shittin' hell, the years have not been kind,  she looks like Mickey Rourke!!

That’s seriously disappointing to learn; she was pretty much my first ever crush back in the day. Now I’m ancient but I still like ginger laydeez, which I put down to the fond memories of Carol Decker blasting out “China in Your Hand”

9 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Insurers have sourced a Siemens WM14T481GB, which is basically a direct drive version of our old washing machine they've been making for a while.

I only learned of direct drive washing machines a couple of days ago and meant to investigate the likelihood of finding them here - the one I saw was American.

Pricey and look very expensive to fix when they fail.  Hypothetically the failure rate should be low.  Should be.

11 minutes ago, myglaren said:

I only learned of direct drive washing machines a couple of days ago and meant to investigate the likelihood of finding them here - the one I saw was American.

Pricey and look very expensive to fix when they fail.  Hypothetically the failure rate should be low.  Should be.

It's been thought for a while that conventional washing machine motors would fail prematurely on purpose, along with the bearings and other consumables as a form of planned obsolesence. Direct drive motors are good- they are efficient and have fierce acceleration and torque. Most new midrange washing machines have now had them for nearly a decade. However, I have a hunch that their inverters (handily removable on some models) and other electronics may br skimped out on.

6 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Thought?  Known, surely?  Or am I just cynical?

You're more than likely correct but I can't find any reliable information that confirms it. That being said though, with everything I've read up over the years, it's my belief that some manufacturers of white goods have done this for a good 2 decades.

Been waiting for over four hours now for the water delivery company tanker to turn up. Supposed to be here at 8, and not answering my calls or messages.

I wonder if I am on a blacklist here? Everyone is paid cash, so its not like I don't pay them.

The following tradesmen, who all made arrangements to call round, have still not shown their faces. These are the gardener, skip hire company, swimming pool engineer (he can fuck right off anyway, as I have it sorted out now), electrician and  a builder.

Only person that ever turns up to meetings at the appointed time is my legal rep. She is the wife of the bloke that fitted my alarm and awnings, who also keeps to the appointments we make.

And all those failing to turn up are local Spaniards. Maybe they are busy because it seems that all the "cash in hand" Brit workers have disappeared (not that I'd use any of them anyway).