The grumpy thread

outlaw118

6 minutes ago, FakeConcern said:

Cycling on one of my favourite small country lanes today I noticed rubble sacks dumped at the side every few yards for about a mile. Most seem to be full of broken up corrugated asbestos roof sheets...

Aw shit, the nasty stuff. Before father got a gate installed into the industrial estate, we had some unscrupulous builders dump entire sheets down the riverbank once. It's a right pain to get removed properly once they do the worst thing and break it up when they throw it off their flatbed.

On 10/04/2021 at 21:36, outlaw118 said:

This.

I'm not a mechanic, I can do the odd bit, but nothing on the scale of 75% of the members on here. BUT.... I've had to tell my wife to stop volunteering me for jobs on her friends cars; not because I can't do them, it's just that some of them (only SOME mind) expect main dealer style warranties and/or guarantees on what I've done, and some others just take the piss - I mean would it have hurt one friend of SWMBO's who, when presented with the receipt for oil, oil and air filter to a) pay it without whinging that "I thought he was going to do it for free" or b) Round the amount up to the nearest £5 or £10? Or the one where I got her mate's mother's Ka through an MoT via some welding, a thorough service, and various light bulbs, and then took 2 weeks to pay me the £142.37 it came to? 

So now I do fuck all for anyone apart from selected family, or if I fancy it.  If it makes me a selfish, grumpy bastard then so be it. 

I can absolutely sympathise with this, from when I used to get "volunteered" to fix people's brown goods.

Worse still were the cheapskates who brought you some piece of electronic shite that no-one else would touch and ask you to look at it, but with the caveat of - get this - "if you break it you'll have to buy me a new one".

10 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

i am now of an age where the time i get outta bed on a morning is dictated by my bladder.....

i looked out of the window to this.

20210411_043555.thumb.jpg.db49035220e10046ce60c7cc9748cb76.jpg

well ok, maybe it'll be better in the morning,

20210411_114020.thumb.jpg.292e310d066544e4351712c319107d94.jpg

no, no not really then. i think i'll give car tinkering a miss then

bloody marvellous.......

Much hail this afternoon in R1152 land; hitting the windows loudly enough that a friend I was talking to on the phone asked what the noise was...

BMW is getting jealous of Tiddles the Kitten. Started stalling at low speeds, and difficult to start. and MIL and ASC lights on. OBDII says"pulse generator,crankshaft, P0335" That means up on ramps and removing all the underneath covers to get at it, and a cost of over £120  GRRR 🤬

Handbrake comes up too far on the Saab, same set up as the 75, you can flick the adjuster with a small screwdriver through a small hole.

Can't see the adjuster, I painted the 75's  white.

Had to take caliper and disc off. Right done one side. I'll know where the adjuster is on the other one.

Can't find it, caliper off, drum off.

Adjuster is top on one side, bottom on the other, and I forgot to paint them white!

Works better now though.

So the pubs are open again.

Walked past our local on the way to pick up a prescription.

About thirty people outside, not a mask or inch of social distance in evidence among the lot, and there must have been about fifty people crammed inside.

*Bashes head against nearest wall*

Why are people so stupid?

1 minute ago, Zelandeth said:

So the pubs are open again.

Walked past our local on the way to pick up a prescription.

About thirty people outside, not a mask or inch of social distance in evidence among the lot, and there must have been about fifty people crammed inside.

*Bashes head against nearest wall*

Why are people so stupid?

Because. 

I mean, was it really necessary for some pubs and shops to open at 00.01 this morning? 

Full range of weather here today as mentioned above (high of 7 degrees) yet at lunchtime many persons could be seen shivering outside a pub clutching pint glasses containing extra-cold lager. Don't get me wrong, I love a drink, but I somehow prefer being  warm when supping and would quite like to stay alive.

47 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Trial run of my mandolin - a food slicer, not a stringed instrument.

Despite the warnings -

DSCF3193.JPG

Much blood everywhere  :(

This is why I don’t have one. Much / most of my cooking is done with the accompaniment of alcohol. The last thing it needs is blood.