The grumpy thread

outlaw118

5 minutes ago, Talbot said:

The same could be said for about 90% of the technology sold in the western world these days.  I don't think there's anything wrong with a company noticing a niche in the market and exploiting it.  Again, how is that any different from a huge amount of other bullshit that is for sale these days?

You've missed the point. It's precisely BECAUSE it's pointless bullshit it annoys me. It is unnecessary, it uses scarce natural resources to make it and for what? So some tech-obsessed twats can jerk off about it to their mates/YouTube? Could you PERSONALLY really justify a cup you control with a fucking app?

I have LONG rankled against unnecessary technology, far longer than I care to remember.

4 minutes ago, R1152 said:

You've missed the point. It's precisely BECAUSE it's pointless bullshit it annoys me. It is unnecessary, it uses scarce natural resources to make it and for what? So some tech-obsessed twats can jerk off about it to their mates/YouTube? Could you PERSONALLY really justify a cup you control with a fucking app?

I have LONG rankled against unnecessary technology, far longer than I care to remember.

Can't stand coffee anyway....

As I said.  a huge amount of things are un-necessary.  Do you carry a phone?  We coped just fine without them before they were invented.  How about a car?  Humans managed without them for thousands upon thousands of years.  Have central heating in your house?  Completely un-necessary really.

And calling Techmoan an "Tech obsessed twat" seems a little harsh.  He's doing reviews of both modern and vintage technology.  If you don't like it, why the living fuck are you watching it?  There's about a gajillion far more vacuous and wasteful youtube channels out there.  Absolutely any and all resources applied to Gaming are clearly utterly pointless, and yet it's a billion-dollar industry, using huge amounts of power and natural resources.  At least this mug actually has a function (albeit a completely ridiculous one)

Also, given the silly number of cups of tea I manage to let go just cold enough to not be able to drink, and hence then go and make a new one, I wonder what the break-even point is for the number of cups of tea one of these would *prevent* me having to re-make to actually mean I'm reducing power consumption.  6 months worth of use?  Maybe a year?

And no.  I could never bring myself to buy a mug that needs bluetooth and can have it's firmware updated.  Especially not for that price.

39 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Absolutely any and all resources applied to Gaming are clearly utterly pointless, and yet it's a billion-dollar industry, using huge amounts of power and natural resources.  At least this mug actually has a function (albeit a completely ridiculous one)

Where do you stand on the resources used for cryptocurrencies?

12 minutes ago, R1152 said:

Where do you stand on the resources used for cryptocurrencies?

It's likely a complete waste of resources for nothing tangible.

However, it's not my place to dictate what other peoples' opinion should be, nor am I going to label anyone in a derogatory manner just because they mine crypto.  Some people have made a lot of money out of crypto currency.  Mind you some people have made a lot of money from a lot of other processes that use precious resources.  Crypto is no different to gaming really.

A lot of people drive less than a mile to go to the shops / take children to school / get a takeaway etc.etc.    Is that more or less wasteful than a mug that keeps you drink (not necessarily coffee) hot?  How about someone who buys a new car every year?  Or a new washing machine?  Or any other white goods that humankind has lived without for thousands of years.

There's some remarkably judgemental comments happened in the last few posts.  Opinions are great, but when it becomes mud-slinging at anyone who doesn't share your opinion, that's a step too far.  You might have a poor opinion of Techmoan, but he has over a Million subscribers, so clearly some people enjoy the content he puts out.  Hell, the videos that Colin Furze puts out are all UTTERLY un-necessary, and could be argued are a complete and utter waste of natural resources.  He has over ten million subs.

Your opinion is not shared by some other people.  Doesn't make them WRONG, it just makes them DIFFERENT.

14 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Can't stand coffee anyway....

Neither can my kids, but i still tolerate them. 

I've been forced to drink mostly decaf since last year and I miss the hit. But am probably a better person as a result if not having 10 hits a day anymore. 

19 hours ago, R1152 said:

As I often tell people, I woke up to deep snow (deeper than that pictured) on the morning of Good Friday in 1975: that was the year we had snow in June before going on to have a summer very similar to 1976.

Must be around that time, I remember the Transatlantic trophy been cancelled at Mallory Park, due to snow.

16 hours ago, Talbot said:

given the silly number of cups of tea I manage to let go just cold enough to not be able to drink, and hence then go and make a new one, I wonder what the break-even point is for the number of cups of tea one of these would *prevent* me having to re-make to actually mean I'm reducing power consumption.  6 months worth of use?  Maybe a year?

This was playing on my mind and I had to go and throw some numbers at it.

With various assumptions about the cost of electricity, the amount of water I'm re-boiling, the energy needed to keep milk cold etc.etc. it works out that the cost break-even point would be a minimum of 3 years worth of my forgetfulness for the cost of the mug to make sense.  At which point it would likely be broken already, so that's rather pointless then.

Also, my forgetful tea costs are borne by my employer, whereas the cost of the mug would be mine, so it's a non-starter in the first place.

I do wonder about a tiny little fixed hotplate keeping my existing mug hot though.  They're much cheaper, and don't have to have a bluetooth device, or a battery, or firmware updates or any of that bollocks.

And I like hot tea.

C1 oil has been changed  , wheels last put on with a ugga ugga gun when the brakes got redone , my scaffold tube did the undoing ,the oil filter was 2 hands and a rubber glove job    oh err missus  !  .... And the sump nut ...... Finger  tight !!!!! 

The oil was very black , start up is a lot less clattery . 

Shed side fixed with a tenners worth of wood ..... 

Wife lurking on new caravan sites and in spend mode ......

I've just saved £80 on my insurance for the omega by ringing up and saying. "You've obviously made a mistake in your calculation" 

It's still more than the cheapest quote, but not by much. 

4 hours ago, Talbot said:

And I like hot tea.

Two stainless rods mounted in a piece of wood, spaced about 1/8 inch.

Connect a two core flex, live to one rod, neutral to the other. Fix plug on to other end of flex.

Lower rods into tea and plug in. Hot tea in a matter of seconds. Just don’t use a metal spoon to stir it with.

Hot tea not safe tea.

I decided to go ahead a fit a new door window seal today on the compact and managed to snap the end off on the new seal putting it on and the seal is £40 a pop.

I know I could just stick the end down with a bit of glue but it will bug me so I will end up getting a new seal lol.

6DB4E7D9-DEF8-4D91-B075-74301C190818.jpeg

1 hour ago, Inspector Morose said:

Two stainless rods mounted in a piece of wood, spaced about 1/8 inch.

Connect a two core flex, live to one rod, neutral to the other. Fix plug on to other end of flex.

Lower rods into tea and plug in. Hot tea in a matter of seconds. Just don’t use a metal spoon to stir it with.

Hot tea not safe tea.

PowerLumpTM ExSTEAMly...? 😃

2 hours ago, MikeR said:

Last job of the day was to sweep out the shed of mouse droppings and bin some more stuff .... Looks like handy Andy was ok from the mice .....

Made me shudder that. I don't find it at all funny.

I know someone involved with a ram who it happened to quite recently.

Encountered this top tier fuckwit earlier this evening. 

I was heading straight onto the M8(W) but had to divert thanks to him. Pulled alongside him at the lights and looked as if to say "what the fuck?". Bit my tongue as I had my kid in the back. He proceeded to hurl abuse at me.

If he had just held his hands up I'd have just left it, worth reporting to the police, or will it be entirely inadmissible?