The grumpy thread

outlaw118

29 minutes ago, MikeR said:

mice have had a great time in the shed at the top of the garden ...... 

they found a box full of bean bags , made with real beans , I wondered where the mess was coming from and the empty bags .

and they also had a 2nd home in the outside winter drawer full of gloves and scarfs .

a trap is set and another 4 ordered ....

Got one !!!! 

Big one as well , but the little nipper won ....

51 minutes ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Please take this opportunity to bin the other three useless fucking things off and replace them with plastic ones at your earliest opportunity.

They really are the work of the devil...the number of those I’ve come across that have seized to the valves due to corrosion within a remarkably short space of time.

Cost one of my regulars two new TPMS valves recently when her husband destroyed them trying to remove the funky metal valve caps with the Mini logo on.

THIS. sack the fucking twatty things off and use plastic ones. ripping a valve stem in half trying to remove a corroded metal valve cap is soul-destoyingly dismal. it WILL be dark, raining and the friday before a bank holiday weekend when it happens.

2 hours ago, Mally said:

Today's Shit happenings.

Back box broke on the Saab, £70. Not much of a problem as the stock car pipe is same dia, so it's all welded up. just need a clamp from ECP Monday.

As I get home next door neighbour grips me, "having any trouble with the drains?"

Our drains are notorious for blockages  insufficient drop on the pipes, and tenants who can't afford toilet roll.

Everyone knows I have rods. Lived there 50 odd years on and off.

I take the manhole cover off, full up. Get the rods. Hit something solid. "shit a brick maybe".

Normally just use the end of the rod, but put a plunger on.

Shit comes out of a water drain 20 foot down the footpath, there's a river of it. Mixed in with it is lumps of rag, sort of thing you would have in the garage. By now It's a river, 2ft wide and 3" deep!  Open the next manhole down and sweep it in.

Best take the plunger off then. Put one of those screw things on, twist it in and pull it back, More rag, more shit,

People are crossing the road to avoid the smell, and the river.

I clear it. My drain and the one lower work, The ones higher up, 4 back to back rented don't seem to work.

The lumps of rag are coming from  the ones higher up. I cant rod backwards it won't go in.

I clean up, bleach, water, rags, tell next door I'll have a go tomorrow maybe. 

Took 3 hours, plus a shower and a bath.

If that's a shared sewer running across your property, aren't they now your water board's problem? I only learned this after turning my back garden into a rice-less paddy field when my inspection chamber blocked up with items that shouldn't go down (like jamrags), plus prodigious quantities of semi-dissolved bog roll and a *lot* of shit.

On 29/03/2021 at 22:21, Inspector Morose said:

Waiting for ‘that’ phone call from the hospital about brother in law. 

He lives downstairs in the house after having a stroke a number of years ago. Early last week on a mission to the kitchen, I found him collapsed and barely  breathing  with foamy blood coming from his mouth. Rushed to hospital and in ICU on a ventilator ever since.

The dynamics of our family is, shall we say, strained - he used to call the police on us every time he never got his own way is amongst the many other ‘fun’ things but still, he is a member of the family and a close one at that.

The next few days/weeks are not going to be good.

Basil passed away last night at 22:40. Apparently he had another stroke on the right side of his brain before I found him on the floor. He had already had a stroke on the left side many years ago so by the  time he was found, he was basically running on auto with little or no cognitive function. 
Two days ago, the hospital moved him from ICU  after determining what had happened and removed assistance to his breathing. At that point he was only alive by the basic functionality of his brain stem; by last night it called enough and shut down for one final time.

Needless to say, it’s hitting us hard. Not only because he was a part of our household and a sibling but it’s a harsh reminder of our own fragility as we all grow older and move onward towards that inevitable conclusion. There’s a lot of unpicking of his life to do now to try and sort out everything but we’ll get through this.

2 hours ago, R1152 said:

If that's a shared sewer running across your property, aren't they now your water board's problem? I only learned this after turning my back garden into a rice-less paddy field when my inspection chamber blocked up with items that shouldn't go down (like jamrags), plus prodigious quantities of semi-dissolved bog roll and a *lot* of shit.

Yes it has been changed, afaik used to be your problem up to the main sewer. Now once outside your property its the Waterboard.

Much of the pipe area is on my deeds. There are 7 properties involved. 1 is empty, 4 owned by a Landlady, 1 industrial so on holiday, and me.

In the old days someone rang Dyno rod and the bill was split.

At the time landlady had 1 tenant in each house, I had 4 in my house. So she paid the same as me! I wasn't happy. That's when I got the rods.

Normally only takes half an hour, but not usually full of rag.

I'll contact Landlady if I can (never answers the phone) and tell her the story.

Tenants pipes are still blocked, so see who comes, and what they think about the rag.

10 hours ago, PhilA said:

20210403_110429.thumb.jpg.a851aa9cf7cadea8841d9853b26868cc.jpg

Discovered a Builder's Bastard in the shoulder of the rear right tire. Arse.

Well, the tires at the back need changing, so I booked it in for Monday to have 4 new tires fitted (previous owner randomly fitted different brand tires and although the front 2 still have decent tread left it makes the car unpredictable, particularly in the wet).

The only good thing out of all this is that 4 BF-Goodrich tires came in at under a grand fitted.

Going fast costs money.

Phil

Not lay down some rubber before they go? Or do the neighbours take a dim view of such juvenile behaviour? :D 

8 hours ago, MikeR said:

Got one !!!! 

Big one as well , but the little nipper won ....

I used to use little nipper traps. Great little things, but I've just received some plastic traps. They're called 'splatter traps'. I tried one out using a screwdriver as the mouse. Jesus, it nearly broke the shaft of the screwdriver. By the way, what's the very best bait to use on a trap?

While I'm at it, Northern Monkey and Stanky, I hear you.

1 hour ago, Tetleysmooth said:

I used to use little nipper traps. Great little things, but I've just received some plastic traps. They're called 'splatter traps'. I tried one out using a screwdriver as the mouse. Jesus, it nearly broke the shaft of the screwdriver. By the way, what's the very best bait to use on a trap?

While I'm at it, Northern Monkey and Stanky, I hear you.

for this one I pressed  a lump of butter on the trip , 2 hours later , result

18 hours ago, PhilA said:

20210403_110411.thumb.jpg.6bfc67d782fbafcdf7b43ef27c8ef66b.jpg

Washed the car.

20210403_110429.thumb.jpg.a851aa9cf7cadea8841d9853b26868cc.jpg

Discovered a Builder's Bastard in the shoulder of the rear right tire. Arse.

Well, the tires at the back need changing, so I booked it in for Monday to have 4 new tires fitted (previous owner randomly fitted different brand tires and although the front 2 still have decent tread left it makes the car unpredictable, particularly in the wet).

The only good thing out of all this is that 4 BF-Goodrich tires came in at under a grand fitted.

Going fast costs money.

Phil

Lovely car. 

On 4/3/2021 at 7:57 AM, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I find that the people that don't want a nationalised health system are almost invariably those that stand to profit from a private system.

The NHS is a wonderful thing and we are very, very lucky.  It certainly has flaws but it is by-and-large effective and surprisingly efficient.  If you want private care, fine, you have that option and you can pay through the arse through it but the fact that we have a system that will treat you regardless of your income or social status is brilliant.

The NHS is valuable and I wouldn't be without it, but it is deluded not to see that it has serious faults to the extent that the care it offers can be poor and when things go wrong its behaviour can be appalling. I have experienced this. Another thing it definitely is not, is efficient.  

28 minutes ago, Magnificent Rustbucket said:

The NHS is valuable and I wouldn't be without it, but it is deluded not to see that it has serious faults to the extent that the care it offers can be poor and when things go wrong its behaviour can be appalling. I have experienced this. Another thing it definitely is not, is efficient.  

Have you seen the cost per capita of the American ‘system’?  Yeah.  It’s relatively efficient.

Cost is just one of the many metrics you'd use to define efficiency. You'd also have to define all the other KPIs and probably weight them in some way. As usual in these sort of things different groups would have different opinions so you'd never get agreement.

This is without bringing in the word effective as it might be efficient at dealing with ingrowing toenails but at the expense of dealing with cancer patients.

8 hours ago, Magnificent Rustbucket said:

My experience exactly. I have VERY strong reasons to believe all this - they certainly know how to fucking close ranks and employ emotional blackmail at the first sniff of legal action.

On 4/4/2021 at 10:38 AM, MikeR said:

just got the third one ... 2 females and a male so far , in 12 hours or so

still some butter left on the trap !!

I think my mouse problem may be sorted. Pretty sure I only had one here. I picked up a bag with some bread in it and the little bastard jumped out, from quite high up. No parachute. It did give the floor a bit of a whack. It scurried off, but have not seen or heard it since. Hopefully the shock of it hitting the floor gave it a shock and killed it. Was quite looking forward to using those splatter traps.

1 hour ago, Tetleysmooth said:

Hopefully the shock of it hitting the floor gave it a shock and killed it.

Very unlikely.  Any small furry rodent under a certain size has a terminal velocity that is survivable.  It will have a twat of a headache, but will likely be back.

5 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Happy Easter - Spring has well and truly arrived here in the North East.

Oh, wait......

1025486802_IMG_10121.thumb.JPG.012fa467089452d0b2e90454df7c707b.JPG

237363987_IMG_10131.thumb.JPG.015a32121949139547721a1285ed9961.JPG

As I often tell people, I woke up to deep snow (deeper than that pictured) on the morning of Good Friday in 1975: that was the year we had snow in June before going on to have a summer very similar to 1976.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:08 PM, somewhatfoolish said:

Not lay down some rubber before they go? Or do the neighbours take a dim view of such juvenile behaviour? :D 

I was going to but the thing was at 45psi when I left the house, and 23 when I got to the tire place 17 miles away.

I decided to not try my luck

Fucking bollocks.

The E60 has entered a permanent FTP state, showing "transmission fault" as soon as the selector lever is put into "D", even with the engine off. Reverse engages fine and smoothly. So I've had to cancel tomorrow's work, which has immediately cost me £420.

However, a mate sent me a YT link to cheer me up, which has been posted at