The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Bummer.  So Rodney has to go?

yes its looking that way, with 3 cars and only 2 garages something has to give, and keeping that car out on the drive for any length of time will ruin it.

best then to let it go to someone else to enjoy not to mention the money its sale would generate!

1 hour ago, Kiltox said:

As a Computer Science graduate I was already familiar with Turing’s work but had absolutely no idea about what had gone on in his personal life. Blimey. 

I only knew because I was given tickets to an amateur dramatics play which was about his life. And afterwards goggled him. 

16 hours ago, Shite Ron said:

I was hoping to bid on a car at SWVA today but didn’t ‘t realise you had to register well in advance and thought I could do it at 7am this morning, I was wrong, phoned them and they will not allow me to bid. I keep telling myself I have too many cars, I hope it sells above my limit.

As you will now no doubt know you have to stick a deposit down to get a bidder's paddle (or whatever the internet version is called.) It was £1k for SWVA last year I think. I also was after something at a Barons auction in 2020 and it was the same for them. The deposit reappears in your account a few days later should you fail to win anything.

3 hours ago, The_Equalizer said:

As you will now no doubt know you have to stick a deposit down to get a bidder's paddle (or whatever the internet version is called.) It was £1k for SWVA last year I think. I also was after something at a Barons auction in 2020 and it was the same for them. The deposit reappears in your account a few days later should you fail to win anything.

Yes I  was aware of the deposit and have done so in the past with SWVA, what I failed to notice was how far in advance you had to pay. I do not understand why I could not give them debit card details before the auction started.  

4 minutes ago, Shite Ron said:

Yes I  was aware of the deposit and have done so in the past with SWVA, what I failed to notice was how far in advance you had to pay. I do not understand why I could not give them debit card details before the auction started.  

I suspect it is because people like you and me do leave it to the last minute. I worked very briefly for Brooks (which became part of Bonhams) after graduating. Hardest work I ever did and the hours just before and during the sale where up there with a City bank. Shame the pay wasn't. Basically there are not enough time/staff to process last minute bidders.

Thanks Morrison's.  Cancelling our grocery order an hour and a half after you were meant to deliver it without so much as an apology.

This was already covering for a Tesco order that failed to materialize last week. 

So now we have to go to a supermarket.  Which is bad enough on a Saturday at the best of times.

Let's see if the mask adherence ratio has improved from ~75% and social distancing at about 5% when I was last in there a few weeks ago.  Not holding my breath.  Though I wish I could hold my breath for about an hour, would make this feel somewhat less unsafe.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Thanks Morrison's.  Cancelling our grocery order an hour and a half after you were meant to deliver it without so much as an apology.

This was already covering for a Tesco order that failed to materialize last week. 

So now we have to go to a supermarket.  Which is bad enough on a Saturday at the best of times.

Let's see if the mask adherence ratio has improved from ~75% and social distancing at about 5% when I was last in there a few weeks ago.  Not holding my breath.  Though I wish I could hold my breath for about an hour, would make this feel somewhat less unsafe.

I think a fairly sharply-worded letter to the CEO is in order here. 

I dunno what your experience has been, but there seems to have been a rapid growth in recent times of people just reneging on agreements at will and generally taking the piss. 

Did they claim that you weren't in at the allocated time, getting as bad as parcel couriers that don't know how to ring a doorbell or knock the door or leave a note to say they've just launched two fragile parcels over your 6ft high back gate instead of opening the fkin thing 😡😡

1 minute ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Did they claim that you weren't in at the allocated time, getting as bad as parcel couriers that don't know how to ring a doorbell or knock the door or leave a note to say they've just launched two fragile parcels over your 6ft high back gate instead of opening the fkin thing 😡😡

What, like the DPD van last week?  The one which stopped outside our house for about 5 minutes (I was outside working on the cars at the time) then disappeared without the driver getting out the van.  Ten minutes later I got the "Sorry, nobody was in so we were unable to deliver your parcel..." text.

20 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Any reason for the cancellations? 

Not a thing.  Just "We regret to inform you we are unable to deliver your order at this time.  A full refund has been given."  At least Tesco had the decency to apologise!

I just made a mistake, and read some comments below the line on an article about the dog that attacked the seal.

Britain is becoming more self righteous by the day. The incident is regrettable, but the penalties people are suggesting for the dog owner would be commensurate with the dog eating a couple of babies.

16 minutes ago, artdjones said:

I just made a mistake, and read some comments below the line on an article about the dog that attacked the seal.

Britain is becoming more self righteous by the day. The incident is regrettable, but the penalties people are suggesting for the dog owner would be commensurate with the dog eating a couple of babies.

Online comments sections should be banned, on everything.  People say stuff like that just because they know they can get away with it and face no consequences.

20 minutes ago, artdjones said:

A clear demonstration of the Streisand effect; she tried to suppress the story and this became the news. She warrants some punishment, seals are a protected species, she appears to have routinely ignored signs requiring dogs to be on leads and patently was not in control of her dog. The "rules don't apply to me" entitlement complex is a remarkably common affliction.

anyone who drives along the Strand in Liverpool need their F in bumps feeling ,

got caught in it today , had to drive south past the jam to come back north in the jam .

thats after getting caught in the warren of roads to get out of the town centre which resembled 28 days later ,

Town was empty , Matthew street was deserted , even the carpet in the Grapes had dried out ...

back to  the traffic jam , where did all the people come from ??

wont happen again .....

1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Is that the new one going in or the old one coming out? Where is the other cable connector? 

That is the new one finally in, but before trying to bolt in the retainer strip, which is the work of the Devil himself as there's not enough room to get a hand and a spanner in.

The connectors are out of the way to make more shuffle room.

Battery drain test shows little drain:

20210327_151828.jpg

Beware the new Euro Car Parts 'pay before click and collect' system.

ECP have always allowed you to pay on collection when ordering via the website. However, in the last couple of weeks they have added the option to pay in advance - very 21st century, avoids having to wave cards around in their shops. Excellent.

Nope.

Manager at my local ECP advised that if two people in different parts of the country happen to use the online ordering and pay at exactly the same time, the ECP system says 'no' when each of you turn up at the shop, and the branch then has to contact Head Office to manually recreate the order, which involves forwarding the email you received from them confirming you've paid to the manager who forwards it to Head Office.

So click and collect should read click, wait around in the shop like a spare fart at a wedding, and eventually (35 minutes later) you'll get your oil filter.

To be fair, I always have good banter with my local ECP. so the time passed quickly.

Naturally when I got the oil filter home, it was the wrong one. I shall go to the other store tomorrow. And not pay in advance.

Picked my son up from uni this morning ,it's only ormskirk so 20 odd miles

I'm an arrive at the end of the sliproad at 70mph type of driver so that's what I did

Knob jockey in a BMW must've taken this as a threat to his 2005 3.0D superiority complex so he comes down behind me at warp factor 4 and takes his place in lane 2 (as they do) then takes off at 85+

Road is quiet so I set the cruise for 74mph , after a mile I catch knob jockey up so pull out to lane 3 to pass him still on cruise, only he wakes up from his little nod and speeds up

I pull back in behind him, because we're catching a truck up in lane one I stay there in lane two only he's slowed down again so I've caught him up , still on cruise so my speed hasn't altered at all I pull out to lane 3

Next second he throws some black cancer out of the back and floors it so I pull back in

When we get to the wigan turn he pulls off and slows down , I look across and he's giving me the finger

Do you have to be a cunt before they'll sell you a BMW, I was on cruise from the second I got on the motorway yet he appears to think I was trying to wind him up

I had exactly the same with an Audi on Thursday on the M1. He was bimbling along sub-70 in lane 3 of 4, I was catching him swiftly at 70 in lane 1. Pulled into lane 2. Pulled into lane 3 behind him. Pulled into lane 4. As soon as I was level, he woke up and sped off. I pulled into lane 3, lane 2, back to lane 1.

Of course, he's slowed down again, so attempt the same manoeuvre - exactly the same result.

Rinse and repeat. Except this time, I try to pass him on the left in lane 2 (whilst overtaking a truck at 70, I hasten to add). Nope, not having it. Quick glance over - yup, one hand on the steering wheel, at 12 o'clock. Gangsta wanabee wanker.

Pulled ahead of the truck, back in lane 1. Went past Audi twat in lane 1 whilst he was continuing his bimble in lane 3, no silly antics this time. Go figure.

Looked in the mirrors - doing exactly the same to the next poor sap trying to get past him legitimately.

4 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

but before trying to bolt in the retainer strip, which is the work of the Devil himself as there's not enough room to get a hand and a spanner in.

Take the headlamp out complete.  It's quite easy to do and means you can actually get to the battery to fit it properly.  You *can* do it with the headlamp in, but as you're discovering, it's far quicker just to take it out.

2 hours ago, Wack said:

Do you have to be a cunt before they'll sell you a BMW

Not to my knowledge, having owned three 5ers...! But then and again, I'm one of those disgraces to the cult that knows not only what the indicator switch does but how it works on an E60 too. I was on a drive along the eastern reaches of the A14 this week and in slowing to allow a tipper lorry to pull out to overtake a slower-moving lorry, I seemed to earn a lot of gratitude from the tipper lorry's driver - he seemed genuinely pleased and surprised.

I also wind up other BMW drivers by never washing my car, so instead of it being a Pavement Princess clay-barred to within an inch of its life it's a foetid lump of shite with a front bumper that looks like a fat bloke who's overdone the sun on the first hot day of the year...

6 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Fuxake.

There's never quite enough room to wangle a battery in past the cabling

20210327_143748.jpg

If it's any consolation, the battery on my old one was bigger than that and I also had to bend the air horns up out of the way to get it in.

Well fucking hell.  I had reason to go back to a house I no longer live at today, and I noticed that there was a Plod car parked opposite the whole time I was there.  I didn't think anything of it to begin with, but having noticed that they where changing over shifts to "stake out" the house, I was then told what was going on.

Turns out the very lovely elderly couple from across the road had had a bit* of an accident.  I'm told that yesterday morning there was a fairly massive explosion and fire in their home.  About a million Police/Fire/Ambulance vehicles descended, both of them were rescued and the fire was put out.  She has been bedbound for the last few years and He is her carer, despite being fairly fragile and unwell himself.  Don't know how badly She was injured, but He sustained some fairly significant injuries.  Both were whisked away.

What's odd is that they don't have Gas in their house (despite there being Gas in the street, their home is on Oil.)  However, she has had to have bottled oxygen for quite a while now, and the room that she was in (and only that room) now has blown out windows.  One can only assume that something to do with Her medical kit caused the issue.  Quite what may never be known, but given how elderly and frail they both were before the incident, I can't see either of them ever being able to come back "home" as they will likely both need full-time care.  Also their house isn't exactly habitable now.

Extremely bizarre, and utterly tragic for them both.

6 hours ago, Wack said:

Picked my son up from uni this morning ,it's only ormskirk so 20 odd miles

I'm an arrive at the end of the sliproad at 70mph type of driver so that's what I did

Knob jockey in a BMW must've taken this as a threat to his 2005 3.0D superiority complex so he comes down behind me at warp factor 4 and takes his place in lane 2 (as they do) then takes off at 85+

Road is quiet so I set the cruise for 74mph , after a mile I catch knob jockey up so pull out to lane 3 to pass him still on cruise, only he wakes up from his little nod and speeds up

I pull back in behind him, because we're catching a truck up in lane one I stay there in lane two only he's slowed down again so I've caught him up , still on cruise so my speed hasn't altered at all I pull out to lane 3

Next second he throws some black cancer out of the back and floors it so I pull back in

When we get to the wigan turn he pulls off and slows down , I look across and he's giving me the finger

Do you have to be a cunt before they'll sell you a BMW, I was on cruise from the second I got on the motorway yet he appears to think I was trying to wind him up

he's probably from Skem 

7 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

O2 tends to make things(especially bedsheets and bedclothes) very flammable but unless there's a LEL>X<UEL mix with a fuel gas, no explosion is happening. Unless they were secretly into huffing glue/lighter fluid that's quite odd.

Exactly this.  One possibility is that they had a cylinder explosion which simultaneously flooded the room with O2 and caused ignition of some soft furnishings somewhere, possibly due to the energy of one of the bits of shrapnel hitting something with astonishing force and making it hot.  That might explain why the windows in only one room are blown out, rather than as in a gas explosion where you might expect to see multiple rooms with blown out windows.

I am, of course, completely guessing.  However, the fact that the Police are protecting the scene might suggest that they are preserving evidence.  I was quite surprised that the blown-out window hadn't been boarded up nearly 2 days after the incident, but again there may be a reason for that.