The grumpy thread

outlaw118

my grump, the old dear across the road from me has just lost her youngest-

Martin, a 55 year old hail-n-hearty bin man dropped down dead on Tuesday morning.

His misses heard an almighty crash from down stairs after he had got up for work,

and found him laid out, stone cold dead.

it just makes you think.......

14 hours ago, loserone said:

Did not know this.  Reckon I've got five or six off me, the Mrs and the kids in the last few years.

If all of you have survived this long with no apparent ill-effects, then either the ticks involved were not carriers of Lyme's (in which case you're lucky), or you're all immune to it (in which case you're very lucky).

40 minutes ago, 95 quid Peugeot said:

Ill swop it for my you are 62

We managed "this person is 0 days old, is this correct?"

2 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

survived this long

Indeed, we are very much aware of Lyme disease, but wasn't aware of the non-existent scheme for testing ticks.  

Speaking of ticks, the spot on my leg where it was latched on is healing pretty well. I am by no means in the clear though, anything could happen within the next few weeks. I was by a sheep field and the tick was miniscule, which is slightly comforting. More comforting is the fact that it was on for less than 12 hours. I'm not all that worried about it, just a bit of a shock to the system.

So we have a new £50 note with Alan Turing on it. Jolly good.

However when you read the bbc article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56503741

However, campaigners are still questioning how much the Bank's collection of banknotes represents society. Three feature men - Winston Churchill on the £5 note, JMW Turner on the £20 note, and soon Alan Turing on the £50 note. Only the £10 note, with the portrait of Jane Austen, depicts a woman apart from the Queen, and all are white.

In an interview with the BBC, Mr Bailey said he wanted to see diverse ethnic minorities represented on future banknotes.

What a load of wet woke bollocks. Obviously we should have a transgender black woman on our money. There's obviously 1000's of suitable great Britons who match that description, who are much more deserving than mr. Turing who didn't really achieve that much.

On 3/23/2021 at 6:11 PM, hairnet said:

Parky that's not funny

About the milkshake :D

When its something involving important documents they should really know their shit and be getting it together

I got this earlier

Ive not been let in the country nevermind been to the gig 

they've been asked why they want an opinion of something they don't know I haven't seen

Deleted the email before I got even more annoyed

IMG_20210323_180012_339.jpg

Perhaps you have a doppelganger impersonating you. That would be confusing.

What makes you believe Diane Abbott is a transgender black woman?  I'm sure there's a joke there that I'm just not getting right now.

As for Alan Turing, you could always get yourself up to speed with his Wikipedia article to find out the one or two things he did: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing Mr Turing was subjected to what is effectively chemical castration because of his sexuality so putting his face on some money is small recompense for what our own society and government did to him after all he did for them.

23 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

As for Alan Turing, you could always get yourself up to speed with his Wikipedia article to find out the one or two things he did: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing Mr Turing was subjected to what is effectively chemical castration because of his sexuality so putting his face on some money is small recompense for what our own society and government did to him after all he did for them.

That, I think, is understood. I think the main moan is the fact that the campaigners mentioned on the BBC article don't believe he's worthy because he's just another white person on our legal tender, completely bypassing the amazing work he did and his rather sad ending. I could be getting it wrong, however.

If I were to make a suggestion for someone to be put on notes, it would be Bill Tutte. Another codebreaker from the war, but he was ferociously talented and managed to, by hand, begin decoding the much more difficult Lorenz code used by high-ranking Nazi officials IIRC. Also helped create the first programmable, electronic, digital computer, Colossus. This is his page on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._T._Tutte

When I went to Bletchley Park in 2019, he, in comparison to the others, got a single board explaining what he did to help with the war effort. Considering what he did, I hope that he'll get some worthy mention one day.

On 3/23/2021 at 10:46 AM, wuvvum said:

Phone call from boss this morning - the sister has been diagnosed with terminal liver cancer and has a few weeks to live.  Another child who will be growing up without her mother.  :(

Another phone call from boss earlier - the sister passed away yesterday.  5 days from being admitted to hospital with an unknown complaint to death.  She was 38.  Cancer really can get in the fucking sea.

7 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Another phone call from boss earlier - the sister passed away yesterday.  5 days from being admitted to hospital with an unknown complaint to death.  She was 38.  Cancer really can get in the fucking sea.

Shit, that's horrible. Cancer really can FRO.

The campaigners have a point, it's an easily observable fact that we do tend to gloss over the achievements of non-white people, and of women.  I've already heard more than enough homophobic nonsense targetted at Alan Turing's nomination and people saying stupid things like they won't use the money he's on so.... yeah.  It's a nuanced issue.  Best option is to put nobody's face on the money, not even the one with the sparkly hat.

8 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

I've already heard more than enough homophobic nonsense targetted at Alan Turing's nomination and people saying stupid things like they won't use the money he's on so.... yeah.  It's a nuanced issue.

As a gay man, that's a bit of a shame to hear. Then again, many will say stuff on the Internet they'd never dream of saying face-to-face. I couldn't give a toss who's on my money because it's currency I'm going to pay people with or cash into the bank. Also, it's a £50.00 note, a bit of a rarity in my hemisphere.

4 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Quite a few people saying stuff in the last couple of pages that could be described this way...

Depends on who's reading it I say. If I took half the stuff I've seen on the Internet to heart, I would have gone mad. I try and make a small difference by writing stuff I'd say and stand by if I were to say it in public, so as to make sure I'm not contributing to a bubble of fist-throwing that every open forum and social media platform has.

CarParts4Less - set of brake pad ordered, three of one type and one of another sent. Returned and refunded, reordered. Waited two weeks, after numerous phone calls  - received today - three of one type and one of another, have to return again.  Don't dare sounding even slightly exasperated on the phone over an order which has taken a month and is still not fulfilled - you will be accused of raising your voice. The end of my brief association with this company.

21 minutes ago, C1am said:

CarParts4Less - set of brake pad ordered, three of one type and one of another sent. Returned and refunded, reordered. Waited two weeks, after numerous phone calls  - received today - three of one type and one of another, have to return again.  Don't dare sounding even slightly exasperated on the phone over an order which has taken a month and is still not fulfilled - you will be accused of raising your voice. The end of my brief association with this company.

They're another name for Euro, aren't they. Was it the same set of pads?

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

They're another name for Euro, aren't they. Was it the same set of pads?

Yes. I suspect so.

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

....just not the parts you actually need. 

Maybe should be called LessCarParts4U?

2 hours ago, Shite Ron said:

I was hoping to bid on a car at SWVA today but didn’t ‘t realise you had to register well in advance and thought I could do it at 7am this morning, I was wrong, phoned them and they will not allow me to bid. I keep telling myself I have too many cars, I hope it sells above my limit.

Whatever you do, do not go back to see what it sold for. It'll probably be on Ebay next week for more anyway 

4 hours ago, C1am said:

Order through CP4L, returns went to Euro car parts... 

Next order 4 glow plugs, arrived in 3 separate packages over two days... 

Euro Crap Parts😵

a grump from yesterday - I've been looking for a Honda CR-V as a daily driver for a while and spotted one locally that might fit the bill. I think I must have broken the world record for the shortest car viewing when I turned up yesterday, looked under the front, saw the lashed up mess of exhaust where there should be a catalyst

I asked two questions :

how long have you had the car ? "four or five months"

what happened with the exhaust ? "was like that when I bought it"

the car has a two month old clean mot pass -  I made my excuses and left :( dodgy bastard must have cut it off and sold it.

some other poor bugger will get a shock when it needs an mot next year.