The grumpy thread

outlaw118

One of our family started a new job a few weeks ago, software development in a major national data provider.  One which has a pretty good reputation as being a good company to work for.

She's just been literally in tears because she feels so lost and doesn't have a clue what she's doing.

Neatly three weeks in she's still not been set up on half the systems, doesn't have a clue who her manager actually is, had any introduction to what the project she's working on is or a primer on how anything works or been given anyone she can ask for help.  If this were a physical office they've basically handed her a mouse, a keyboard and said "Go be productive, by the way the coffee machine's broken."

I don't doubt for a second that this would all have been sorted in minutes actually in the office, but they're a group who *really* don't seem to have adapted to remote working well.

This was really meant to have been a good thing, yet it's looking like it's actually just going to end up being another massively stressful mess.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

One of our family started a new job a few weeks ago, software development in a major national data provider.  One which has a pretty good reputation as being a good company to work for.

She's just been literally in tears because she feels so lost and doesn't have a clue what she's doing.

Neatly three weeks in she's still not been set up on half the systems, doesn't have a clue who her manager actually is, had any introduction to what the project she's working on is or a primer on how anything works or been given anyone she can ask for help.  If this were a physical office they've basically handed her a mouse, a keyboard and said "Go be productive, by the way the coffee machine's broken."

I don't doubt for a second that this would all have been sorted in minutes actually in the office, but they're a group who *really* don't seem to have adapted to remote working well.

This was really meant to have been a good thing, yet it's looking like it's actually just going to end up being another massively stressful mess.

I went through the same within a top ranking marketing agency last year but with an internal transfer, the full shit hasn't hit the fan yet on the stuff I know I've not done... 

Feel for her, she needs to be vocal and with a paper trail of it, got me out of some very sticky shit last autumn. 

Wife is in grief.  This basically entails lashing out emotionally and making me feel worse, by being quite aggressive towards me.

Pointed this out. Clearly this was the wrong thing to do, but I've been trying my best to say and do the right thing for 2 weeks. Last night she had a screaming fit at me, apparently our marriage is a sham and I'm cruel. 

Of course this was going to happen eventually.  I know she's in lot of emotional pain, but is there any let up in this?  Whatever  I say or do cannot be right. Unfortunately I also said that. I'm making excuses for my behaviour. Getting to the end of my patience and asking her to stop blaming me, made it worse some more. 

My blood pressure is up and my anxiety levels are through the fucking roof.  I can't say that though. She'll tell me I'm blaming her.  I wish I could help her. She no longer wants my help.  It's like a fucking night mare. 

55 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I went through the same within a top ranking marketing agency last year but with an internal transfer, the full shit hasn't hit the fan yet on the stuff I know I've not done... 

Feel for her, she needs to be vocal and with a paper trail of it, got me out of some very sticky shit last autumn. 

She's been trying...but it's hard to be vocal when there's nobody to be vocal at.  About the only point of contact she's really got is the HR person who handled the actual recruitment side of things (they came to us rather than us applying for a job), who can't do much as they're a totally separate department.  We've been given suggestions of folks to contact, but they're all people who never answer phones or emails.

Just nobody will take ownership of the situation.

My own grump of this afternoon was going to order new rear brake pipes for the BX.  £32 apiece, fair enough.  Then went to click order.

Screenshot_20210317_150904.thumb.jpg.a966d80e0fb8df42cf2e70b7521763e9.jpg

They want HOW bloody much for shipping?!?

It would probably be cheaper for me to drive there and collect the damned things.  In the Jag!

Ah yes, their website states: IMPORTANT NOTE

*** WE CURRENTLY ARE UNABLE TO SHIP ANY WET/DANGEROUS GOODS OVER SEAS***

We are in the process of finding a new courier - please bear with us at this time.

Please call for ETA.

I'd go back to them, they're really helpful people usually.

4 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Ah yes, their website states: IMPORTANT NOTE

*** WE CURRENTLY ARE UNABLE TO SHIP ANY WET/DANGEROUS GOODS OVER SEAS***

We are in the process of finding a new courier - please bear with us at this time.

Please call for ETA.

I'd go back to them, they're really helpful people usually.

That's the result of my order. I found someone in Dublin eventually who could mix to my code and ordered a week ago, although that hasn't arrived yet. I'm wondering if any attempt to get this paint is jinxed. I tried to get it via eBay last year from a supplier in Enniskillen who could "mix any colour". Then said the colour I wanted was "obsolete".

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

She's been trying...but it's hard to be vocal when there's nobody to be vocal at.  About the only point of contact she's really got is the HR person who handled the actual recruitment side of things (they came to us rather than us applying for a job), who can't do much as they're a totally separate department.  We've been given suggestions of folks to contact, but they're all people who never answer phones or emails.

Just nobody will take ownership of the situation.

My own grump of this afternoon was going to order new rear brake pipes for the BX.  £32 apiece, fair enough.  Then went to click order.

Screenshot_20210317_150904.thumb.jpg.a966d80e0fb8df42cf2e70b7521763e9.jpg

They want HOW bloody much for shipping?!?

It would probably be cheaper for me to drive there and collect the damned things.  In the Jag!

https://www.bxparts.eu/en/hydraulic-tubes/128-95-567-451-brake-pipe-rear-right.html

This company are about £17 per pipe, hopefully the carriage might be less,too?

I was licking my lips in anticipation of my banquet this evening, a Morrisons Meat Feast Pasta thing (you know 4 minutes microwave blitz and ready to eat).

Imagine my disappointment when I slipped the cardboard wrapper off to reveal....a cottage pie. FFS.

It was very meh - all mash and no cottage

17 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Oh, I won't deny the staff are more than helpful - it's always the same two on the counter and they're knowledgeable and starting to recognise me as I'm in weekly at the moment. 

I went into my local MM to get bits to kit out a new van for work, first time I get "have you shopped with us before sir?  Can I take your postcode?" 

(Incidentally I bloody hate that too and have been known to say NO just to check the reaction). 

I went back an hour later, each time I was the only customer in the place. 

Same guy: "Have you shopped with us before Sir, can I take your postcode?" 

*rolls eyes*

I was spending a fair amount of money each time too. 

I went a third time the same morning... 

"Have you shopped with us before sir?" 

"Are you fucking kidding?!" 

"Oh, sorry sir......"

I'm not the most distinctive bloke in the world but FFS. 

21 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

I was licking my lips in anticipation of my banquet this evening, a Morrisons Meat Feast Pasta thing (you know 4 minutes microwave blitz and ready to eat).

Imagine my disappointment when I slipped the cardboard wrapper off to reveal....a cottage pie. FFS.

It was very meh - all mash and no cottage

Someone went to the trouble of swapping the cardboard sleeves on a cheap Ping-O-Matic dinner? ZOMGPANDEMIC! madness moves in mysterious ways.

A small grump, but I've just insured the new car prior to collection this weekend, and the insurers have got my details wrong (license start date is out by 2 months, so they've effectively tipped me upwards from 2 full years to 3 full years). I'm going to ring them tomorrow, and I fully expect them to tell me I've got to pay more for the policy (due to *effectively* dropping year's driving experience) plus an admin fee.

Am I well-placed to tell them "fuck off, I am not paying you any more money, just change my details as requested" if they try to charge me? The quote I was given was based on the 100% correct details I provided them, it's them that's made the mistake (or, well, their website's crap coding). 

I'd just tell them they've made an administrative error and put the wrong date down, this is the correct date, thanks very much and goodbye.  Don't let the conversation go any further.  If they do push the point and try to charge you more I would absolutely argue the point that it's their error and not yours.

My own grump.  Just realised it's wednesday today, so I missed the zoom call last night.  Mind you, I was feeling like death warmed up, so it's probably for the best I wasn't there.

1 minute ago, Talbot said:

I'd just tell them they've made an administrative error and put the wrong date down, this is the correct date, thanks very much and goodbye.  Don't let the conversation go any further.  If they do push the point and try to charge you more I would absolutely argue the point that it's their error and not yours.

My own grump.  Just realised it's wednesday today, so I missed the zoom call last night.  Mind you, I was feeling like death warmed up, so it's probably for the best I wasn't there.

I agree, that'll be my line of enquiry. Whatever happens, I'm not paying more.

I did notice your absence last night - it's been put on your file. Don't let it happen again.

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I realised in past years that they're having a fuckin' laugh, putting St. Patrick's Day before the end of Lent

Wifey is of Irish Catholic descent. St Patrick spent, allegedly, over a month on top of a BIG hill near her homestead. Have climbed said hill. He knew you need a break.

6 hours ago, New POD said:

Wife is in grief.  This basically entails lashing out emotionally and making me feel worse, by being quite aggressive towards me.

Pointed this out. Clearly this was the wrong thing to do, but I've been trying my best to say and do the right thing for 2 weeks. Last night she had a screaming fit at me, apparently our marriage is a sham and I'm cruel. 

Of course this was going to happen eventually.  I know she's in lot of emotional pain, but is there any let up in this?  Whatever  I say or do cannot be right. Unfortunately I also said that. I'm making excuses for my behaviour. Getting to the end of my patience and asking her to stop blaming me, made it worse some more. 

My blood pressure is up and my anxiety levels are through the fucking roof.  I can't say that though. She'll tell me I'm blaming her.  I wish I could help her. She no longer wants my help.  It's like a fucking night mare. 

It got worse about 3 hours ago.  For fucxks sake.  Screaming at me to leave. 

I'm like a rabbit in the headlights of a lamping party.  

57 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Wifey is of Irish Catholic descent. St Patrick spent, allegedly, over a month on top of a BIG hill near her homestead. Have climbed said hill. He knew you need a break.

Croagh Patrick, on the road out of Westport - Murrisk, I know it. Really dedicated people go up the thing barefoot.

Sister has moved back to live with us due to selling her flat (long story involved which I won't go into here).  There are a lot of rants I could have about this, but tonight especially fucked me off.  

She wanted a big chest of drawers moving from her flat to our house.  I fold my seats down, go over to the flat, dismantle the chest of drawers with help from her BF, load it all into my car and put the drawers back in place for the journey, drive it back to ours, take out the drawers and lay them out in the correct order in the bedroom, haul the main unit up the stairs on my own, locate all seven large drawers back on their runners on my own, cut my arm on one of the runners, screw it all into place, and balance it so the drawers don't fall open as it's tilting slightly forward on the carpet.

Did I get a word of thanks?  Did she even look at or acknowledge what I'd done?  Did she fuck.  And the only response when I tried to talk to her later in the evening was "I'm tired, fuck off".