The grumpy thread

outlaw118

9 hours ago, GeorgeB said:

The mods on here seem to enjoy deleting threads  threads and entire content from some posters without explanation. With that in mind it seems perfectly reasonable that individuals should  be able to delete whatever they like.

Yeah, when the Mods came down here in 1964 to delete threads they got a good kicking.

Police and mods in Clacton in 1964

Mods and rockers clash at Margate

15 minutes ago, castros_bro said:

Yeah, when the Mods came down here in 1964 to delete threads they got a good kicking.

Police and mods in Clacton in 1964

Mods and rockers clash at Margate

Yea but look how happy @Cavcraftis on his new bike in the first photo! He only went to Brighton for an ice cream and check the carb bodge worked... 

10 hours ago, Rab said:

A 'pissy day' for me Wilko is having epilepsy every day..maybe read up on neuro-divergence..it covers a whole spectrum of disorders inc .autism

Obviously I'm very sorry to hear that you have this. Having experienced (different) mental health conditions at very close quarters, I know what huge impact they can have on people's lives, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

That said, we don't all have access to each other's medical records, so when someone does something unreasonable it can only be taken at face value. We don't know if the behaviour has been caused by a mental health condition, a physical health condition, because someone's pissed off at their car breaking down, or because the wife has been nagging them all day. Or just because that's what they're like. I guess there is usually some reason.

We all have bad days - for different reasons, and some much worse than others. That's why I suggested that no individual member should have the ability to delete entire topics/threads. Hopefully someone from the team of moderators might be able to give this some consideration, if a change in the settings is possible. 

13 hours ago, Pieman said:

Go and let the fucker's tyres down.  What an absolute Grade A cunt.

There was a case a year or two ago of a woman leaving a foul-mouthed note on an ambulance for "blocking her driveway"....she didn't even drive!

Yes, I remember that now.

Jesus.

We tried to do the Lanchester door cards again today.  Two are sorted, the rain stopped us doing the other two, as did the rather painful blisters I got from the grippy coating on the pliers I was using to remove the tacks.  Trouble is, I did a rather good job of building these door cards so dismantling them to make some adjustments we weren't aware were needed until fitting has really done a number on my hands.  There's a couple of keyholed metal plates that rivet onto the back, we copied the way they were when we dismantled the door cards and it turns out they were upside down, and unlike the old soft rivets, these new (identical type but not 70 years old and corroded) ones are an absolute bear to remove.  We've also had to get creative on the escutcheons since the slightly thicker new board we used makes it impossible to fit them to the window winders so what should have been a simple reinstall has proven much more difficult.  Suddenly, I'm not hating brittle plastic push clips so much.

18 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Apparently the mods caused Brexit, co-started WW2, were responsible for Marathons being renamed Snickers and hired Chris Evans to present Top Gear. They're such an unreasonable bunch! 🤣

They renamed Marathons to Snickers......................Bastards !!!!

Today has been one of "those" days.

I took the dog out this morning, leaving MrsR supervising the washing machine.  When I come back: "the drum won't spin."  Fortunately it had reached the end and she was able to empty it, but I tried, and sure enough, locked solid.

So ALL the rest of my morning consisted of dismantling the machine to see what was blocking the drum, and doing some incidental cleaning because the machine hasn't been out of its slot in 7 years... then I had the bright idea of removing the drive belt.  Which leaves the drum able to spin freely and smoothly, so nothing is blocking it at all.  The motor has obviously seized.

So a little online searching threw up a motor specified for this machine, brand new, £102.  A whole new machine costs £179.  I could buy a motor and it might not fix the problem; or fit it poorly (quite possible); or something else could break in short order.  Or I could buy the new machine.  I suspect that's what I'll do in the end, even though it goes against the grain.

This afternoon I tried yet again to phone the caravan park on the south coast, where we are supposed to be staying at the end of April, but it's looking unlikely we will be able to make overnight stops on the way there.  Yet again, the park is "engaged."

Then, for the first time, we decided to have a McDonalds for tea, delivered by UberEats.  We got a discount code the other day and thought it was worth a try.  I managed to navigate the order process and got a message that it would arrive by 1725.  A map appeared, tracking the driver (or, as the caption said, cyclist).  When it showed him in Derby Street, which runs past the end of my street, I decided to step outside and take it from him.  And I waited.  And waited.

So I went back in the house, and instead of the map was a message telling me my order was cancelled.  I phoned McDonalds, and was eventually answered by a very helpful and sympathetic lady.  She said it was probably the driver who had cancelled it, and yes, he was driving not cycling; that was an Uber default setting.  While we were talking, he walked back into the branch, without my meal, but she couldn't ask him about it because he doesn't speak English.

Fucking marvellous.

So the first time I placed an UberEats order has turned out to be also the last.  And if anyone ever asks me for a recommendation I will say  "go to the shop and pick it up yourself."  I ended up flinging some chicken dippers and chips in the oven.  Hardly the big satisfying burger and milkshake I was primed for!

Today has been unremittingly shit.

And that's without the story of MrsR's medication!  She spoke to a doctor the other day who promised her some better painkillers (which she really needs).  Got to Boots... they've given her Naproxen and Omeprazole.  Nap for the pain, Om to protect her stomach from it.  Except she can't take Naproxen, it reacts with other stuff she has to take.  I gave the whole lot straight back to Boots and now we will have to go through all the rigmarole again.

14 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Today has been one of "those" days.

I took the dog out this morning, leaving MrsR supervising the washing machine.  When I come back: "the drum won't spin."  Fortunately it had reached the end and she was able to empty it, but I tried, and sure enough, locked solid.

So ALL the rest of my morning consisted of dismantling the machine to see what was blocking the drum, and doing some incidental cleaning because the machine hasn't been out of its slot in 7 years... then I had the bright idea of removing the drive belt.  Which leaves the drum able to spin freely and smoothly, so nothing is blocking it at all.  The motor has obviously seized.

So a little online searching threw up a motor specified for this machine, brand new, £102.  A whole new machine costs £179.  I could buy a motor and it might not fix the problem; or fit it poorly (quite possible); or something else could break in short order.  Or I could buy the new machine.  I suspect that's what I'll do in the end, even though it goes against the grain.

This afternoon I tried yet again to phone the caravan park on the south coast, where we are supposed to be staying at the end of April, but it's looking unlikely we will be able to make overnight stops on the way there.  Yet again, the park is "engaged."

Then, for the first time, we decided to have a McDonalds for tea, delivered by UberEats.  We got a discount code the other day and thought it was worth a try.  I managed to navigate the order process and got a message that it would arrive by 1725.  A map appeared, tracking the driver (or, as the caption said, cyclist).  When it showed him in Derby Street, which runs past the end of my street, I decided to step outside and take it from him.  And I waited.  And waited.

So I went back in the house, and instead of the map was a message telling me my order was cancelled.  I phoned McDonalds, and was eventually answered by a very helpful and sympathetic lady.  She said it was probably the driver who had cancelled it, and yes, he was driving not cycling; that was an Uber default setting.  While we were talking, he walked back into the branch, without my meal, but she couldn't ask him about it because he doesn't speak English.

Fucking marvellous.

So the first time I placed an UberEats order has turned out to be also the last.  And if anyone ever asks me for a recommendation I will say  "go to the shop and pick it up yourself."  I ended up flinging some chicken dippers and chips in the oven.  Hardly the big satisfying burger and milkshake I was primed for!

Today has been unremittingly shit.

Well... the washing machine is sorted!  Lynne mentioned it in an online chat with her daughter - who has ordered us one from Argos!  Nice!

last week the Focus clutch peddle starting clicking ..

it was observed the push rod was moving along the pin on the clutch peddle in order to escape captivity

a tie wrap fixed it and some star clips were ordered , they arrived yesterday .

so get back under the dash and the clutch master cylinder is now leaking ,

but the star clip has fixed the clicking .... 

car is now booked in for  pre mot work and fixing  at the end of the month