The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, dome said:

That would be the thread where you posted how your mate had rescued a Hunter estate and we all said "well done!" and then some members sent you parts. 

Then when someone noticed the same car appear breaking on Facebook and asked what had happened so you deleted it and posted in here complaining?

I never saw any comments aimed at you. You came across as innocent in all of this, if left with a bit of egg on your face when your mate turns out to be breaking it, and possibly the admin of a Hunter Breaking page on Facebook😬

I've also not bought an old Hillman Hunter and as far as I'm aware nobody has given me any crap about it either. 

Do I need to delete my threads and have a hissy fit? I'm not sure? 

Advice needed.

13 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Careful - BT wanted mine back when I moved away sharpish from their increasingly dubious and unreliable 'service'.  Even sent a reply-paid bag for it.

I R surprised.  First time I've ever heard of that happening.

Presumably you were not far into contract and it was a fairly decent model router?

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Don't forget Windows 10 sharing your wifi passwords with your contacts list.

Yes, really. It's why my SSID has -optout on the end as that's apparently how you stop it doing that.

Apparently binned by MS - WiFi Sense doesn't exist in Windows 10 version 20H2. Luckily, I don't have a contacts list either on this machine, it seems a damned silly thing to have (not on Faecebook, Twatter or similar shite and don't use Outlook/Mail as a client).

1 minute ago, R1152 said:

WiFi Sense doesn't exist in Windows 10 version 20H2.

What, you mean MS introduced a highly questionable feature that was supposed to be "useful", but was actually a massive security hole, everyone found ways to avoid it and then MS quietly binned it thereafter?  Because that's never* happened before.

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Aye, it's all fun and games giving everybody access to wifi until somebody does something dodgy and it's traced back to your access point.

This in particular is why I thought the idea was complete and utter fucking wank. It was bad enough that in the days of WEP I had colleagues running a cracker for it on their personal machines so they could get onto neighbours' faster broadband.

1 hour ago, Rab said:

Hunter thread deleted due to pile on by infantile pissing contest..what I call the epitome of Whinging Poms.Have also removed all other content. I wont be back.

PS.Everybody that had a go at me..go fuck yourselves.

Any need for that? I didn't see anyone having a go at you, some questioning of the bloke with the Hunter but that goes with being on social media. Unless what I wrote counts as having a go, in which case the internet is not a safe place generally. I apologise for any hurt felt but I stand by my comment.

1 minute ago, Talbot said:

What, you mean MS introduced a highly questionable feature that was supposed to be "useful", but was actually a massive security hole, everyone found ways to avoid it and then MS quietly binned it thereafter?  Because that's never* happened before.

It won't be the first time, and it won't be the last... I can remember someone getting in a paddy at work because the PSK we ran on our local network was the full-length character string and not a memorable phrase. It then turned its nose up at her iPhone.

33 minutes ago, Rab said:

Thread and a load of content deleted

The sooner the option to delete a thread/post is removed (and maybe the edit function is available only for 5 minutes thereafter to fix typos) the better.  Far too much internet gold has been lost due to people throwing a wobbly and either deleting their post/thread or editing it down to a full stop.

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Fun police at work; Godwin's law, blah blah, snowflakes, blah, blah, deleted threads, blah, not fair, legal jeopardy, blah, blah. Have I covered all the bases? If you're going to delete a thread every time someone takes a huff at what someone else has written this place will be pretty bare soon.

Are you trying to blame a poster deleting their own thread on the mods? Username checks out..

@Rab you're right you aren't the Hunter bloke's mother.  Don't worry about it.  Everyone is a bit disappointed including you. 

2 minutes ago, Talbot said:

The sooner the option to delete a thread/post is removed (and maybe the edit function is available only for 5 minutes thereafter to fix typos) the better.  Far to much internet gold has been lost due to people throwing a wobbly and either deleting their post/thread or editing it down to a full stop.

It's funny how that option varies between forums: one forum I'm a member of offers NO option to delete a post after you've made it, another allows you to delete the entire thread if you are the originator at any time. Some give you ten minutes to kill your post, or any time as long as no-one has replied to it.

1 minute ago, R1152 said:

one forum I'm a member of offers NO option to delete a post after you've made it

Barryboys used to be set up that way.  It was absolutely superb.  The number of times you had people throwing a childish rant and then screaming and moaning that they should be able to delete their own post was comical.  All the regulars were very familiar with it, and it absolutely made you think before posting.  Will I regret saying this?  Does it help in any way?  Do I look like a complete Penis?  Once those checks had been done, you had a bit more confidence posting.  The 10 minute option for typos/error correction or gross error/double posts makes a lot of sense though.

Also, I didn't mean just here.. the internet in general could do with that rule.  Twitter for one is littered with "this post has been deleted because the poster realised they were being an utter bellend and/or has been completely proven to be wrong and has had a hissy fit".  Knowing you can just go and delete a comment makes some people shoot from the hip rather more than is helpful.

1 hour ago, Minimad5 said:

Still got any of those Shark hoovers we chatted about ? ... if you fancy posting one of them 🤷‍♂️

You know I plain forgot. The little ones flew out the door HOWEVER... you could save me having to list the Apex DuoClean I've got to finish off tonight... 

20210302_135745.thumb.jpg.67c7721cadaa01b2e0538227185e8f30.jpg

This one, but in black. Assuming it works after etc. Ax950

I was getting messages before even listing the other ones, almost makes me want to get more... But I got lucky! They all start needing motors and its game over. 

2 minutes ago, Rab said:

Its not hissy fits..

Deleting a thread just because you don't like the way it's going is absolutely a hissy fit.

I've not read the thread in question.  I rather wish I could now and make up my own mind, but you've somewhat prevented that.

Just now, Rab said:

OK hissy fit..where i go into a gran mal seizure and stop breathing. Satisfied..what do u want me do...Skype the experience to u?

Other members above have stated that no-one had a go at you in the thread, and I'm inclined to believe them.

If you really cannot cope with being on what is generally one of the friendlier forums on the internet, then you need to find somewhere better for your health.

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being fluffy and 10 being the worst of the internet, this place is about a 3.  Maybe a 4 on a bad day.

2 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Other members above have stated that no-one had a go at you in the thread, and I'm inclined to believe them.

If you really cannot cope with being on what is generally one of the friendlier forums on the internet, then you need to find somewhere better for your health.

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being fluffy and 10 being the worst of the internet, this place is about a 3.  Maybe a 4 on a bad day.

Agreed. My profile will be gone by tonight.

58 minutes ago, Rab said:

He is not the Admin of any group.All projection from u lot.Man... I paid for the Haynes manual..Jeesus H christ.The unfortunate world of car enthusiam. Try and contribute..help people out..and then it turns into this shitshow..no worries. I dont want to any part of this anymore. Good day to u all.

Apologies if I got it wrong re your mate. I'm not in the habit of getting into arguments on here, I was trying to offer some clarity regarding what happened as your post in here got people curious. 

38 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Far too much internet gold has been lost due to people throwing a wobbly

It's one thing someone deleting their own content, but when a person who started a topic has the power to, with the click of a button, delete everybody else's contributions to that topic at the same time, there's got to be something wrong.

We've got threads here that run to thousands of pages - it shouldn't be in the gift of a single user just to delete the whole thing. For example, it just so happens that I started the "new members" thread, which has now got intro posts on it from loads of people. The idea that I could go and delete all of that, just because I happened to be having a pissy day like @Rab is a bit ridiculous. 

Grumps come in three.

1) Police aren't interested in following up the thieving sod who stole £2500 from me for 'landscaping'.

2) Nobody  else wants the job of sorting it, not that we have much left in the pot that we had set aside

3) My wife made an ace gammon roast dinner (not the grump). I had just been to the shop and treated myself so some Irn Bru to go with it. The mash was also particularly good. My wife didn't finish hers so I scooped up a bit of her leftovers with my knife and this happened.

20210302_172303.thumb.jpg.cc2ef5f1b9d57319eba2f605f70f38f1.jpg

FFS!

1 minute ago, jakebullet said:

Since when was being a thieving pikey a race / ethnic group?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56246848

Bonus woke points for Pontins discriminating* against them by not allowing transits towing stolen mini diggers as forms of transport. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/travellers-formally-recognised-as-an-ethnic-minority-1.2994309

Since 2000 in the UK but officially recognised in the Equality Act 2010 under the remit of 'protected characteristic'.

Just spent about two hours trying to get a network cable down from the loft to the ground floor so I can just plug a cable into the new modem and use the existing access points etc and not faff about with the router/access point the provider have given us as it's almost inevitably a piece of junk.

Have just figured out that due to how this place was built that the ceiling panel extends all the way out into the wall cavity...so there's no contiguous void for me to drop the cable down through.

Should have realised this as the upper floor is the same and I had to drill holes to get into the upstairs wall cavity.  That's not an option for downstairs unless I go and rip a huge amount of wall out.

I'm getting the impression we're just going to have an ethernet cable running up the wall and through the ceiling right now.

The high degree of prefabrication of parts of this house was an absolute bonus for the folks building it... however can be an absolute pain at times when trying to do jobs like this.

7 minutes ago, R1152 said:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/travellers-formally-recognised-as-an-ethnic-minority-1.2994309

Since 2000 in the UK but officially recognised in the Equality Act 2010 under the remit of 'protected characteristic'.

By eck the world's gone mad. How are they different genetically from "normal" Irish people? Why haven't druggie shoplifters used the same logic to form a race? You can't stop me stealing these razor blades, it's my cultural heritage....

41 minutes ago, Wilko220 said:

It's one thing someone deleting their own content, but when a person who started a topic has the power to, with the click of a button, delete everybody else's contributions to that topic at the same time, there's got to be something wrong.

I started this thread, but would I consider deleting 3389 pages because I disagreed with someone?

Nope.

Dick behaviour which I try and keep to a minimum.

24 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

Since when was being a thieving pikey a race / ethnic group?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56246848

Bonus woke points for Pontins discriminating* against them by not allowing transits towing stolen mini diggers as forms of transport. 

I'm guessing it's the fact they blocked people with Irish names and accents, not because they were necessarily  travellers. It's a bit like tarring everyone from Italy as moped riding arse pinching handbag thieves and stopping anyone Italian or with an Italian name from coming in.

Discrimination against gypsies is a real (and racist) thing, though perhaps they'd get a lot more sympathy if they proved the people wrong who say they never clean up after themselves when they illegally camp. Or park on a cycleway/path blocking it off with vans and caravans, then say they 'didn't understand they couldn't do that'. Or give me back my fucking RSJ. That type of thing.