The grumpy thread

outlaw118

As alluded to in the Miniature thread, MrsR's instinctive reaction to any and all new arrivals for my model cabinets.

The recent posting in the Scottish Hunter thread, showing it "For Parts."

The Matrix, which I'm trying to watch now: impenetrable, with inaudible dialogue, as fucking usual.

Grumpy?  Darn tootin'!

Stop press!  I've given up on The Matrix and gone over to the old reliable: Dave.  +1 at the moment, QI XL is about to start.

At work I have to collect really expensive stuff from customers every day, I bet we get about 10k a week worth in 20/30 parcels. We have the occasional breakage but it's always down to poor packaging - I always tell the customers to package something up well enough that they would happily throw the parcel as far as they can into the air and have it land on a concrete floor. They'll usually laugh at me, but I'm not joking! That's exactly what will happen to every parcel, it'll get thrown as far as someone can be arsed to throw it. You can't pay people enough to care even slightly when you're only charging 6 quid to ferry 10kg of something across the country.

Insurance is 100% useless, it will never pay out properly and would cost us more than I pay myself in wages, so we just have to take the chance.

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

20210227_121055.thumb.jpg.f59a0b2fa8438656d0a4bd59b5c61713.jpg

Packing up is always scary. There's a Lux 345 in the tall box, probably a fivers worth of bubble wrap in there, inner boxes, struts, braces etc. Aquamaster is a bit more resilliant and has all its original packaging so that was a bit easier. 

Got to kick the shit out of it whilst packing. If it fails in the front room it won't last the depot! Even so every box is insured for the value I was paid (you need the corresponding financial transaction for a parcel monkey claim I've found) so their now detached from my collector bit of my brain and into the practical 'if they get fucked they get fucked, refunds all round' bit

Hermes dropping off Wuvvum's hoover earlier.

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Oh dear, welcome to the dark side. I've got thousands* of pounds of vintage rare vacuums in the loft but am too scared to post them! 

What vac is it? 60/70 puts it at 1334/a/612/262 territory... And I've got oodles of parts and wheels for that era spare

It's a 375.  Not sure exactly what year it is but assume 1940s.  It wasn't in bad nick until Hermes got their hands on it, although I don't think the bag is original.  Even the rubber handle isn't too bad.

DSC_1484.thumb.JPG.5e8cdfb292b94a678f2578d528814f35.JPG

DSC_1485.thumb.JPG.a2f3bb08b6446ff37accc408bc24e8c3.JPG

DSC_1487.thumb.JPG.8a227e80a94e2ce9ccc9a50429a68310.JPG

Jings, I remember those, my granny had one just like it. The rubber handle was a godsend as you used to get a slight 'tingle' from the metal bits when it was running but granny didn't care, it worked well into the 1980s when she got some newfangled thing with a light on it.

10 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

Jings, I remember those, my granny had one just like it. The rubber handle was a godsend as you used to get a slight 'tingle' from the metal bits when it was running but granny didn't care, it worked well into the 1980s when she got some newfangled thing with a light on it.

Yea it shouldn't have done that lol. Probably toughened the old girl up over the years... 

1980s - Light - Hoover Turbopower? 

37 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It's a 375.  Not sure exactly what year it is but assume 1940s.  It wasn't in bad nick until Hermes got their hands on it, although I don't think the bag is original.  Even the rubber handle isn't too bad.

Ouch, that's fucked beyond a pair of non matching wheels... 

I have put word out of your plight, she may be saved! Have you tried a mini skateboard and epoxy? 

3 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

I wrap things on the principle that the courier will deliver them out the back of a Hercules at about 200' and 150kts.

Years ago when I worked at Lucas, our customer (Lucas diesel), gave us the spec for a solenoid, they wanted us to quote on. 

It had a flying lead and it was attacjedvto a DPC in line pump.

The spec for the flying lead was the equivalent of someone picking up.the pump with the lead, and swinging.it around their head, whilst singing.the French national Anthem.  

Its almost like workers of the world have an in built desire to see if they can break anything they can, if it looks a bit fragile. 

11 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Can't quite see the serial number, but

535430499_HooverDates(JH).thumb.jpg.4128c0ed6de759517864e0dccb412b21.jpg

Practically, if it still runs and whatever that broken bit is hasnt smashed the switch I'm sure I have a spare 119 rear wheel set

IMAG1828.thumb.jpg.1f9985884b9317b1218c6ff33561c93d.jpg

Which should sit behind the smashed hood, bit of epoxy and a bend up of that bottom bracket should hold it. Looking at the service manual youll need a whole back end to repair, and that's going to be cheapest attached to an entire other 375. Which will be better than yours, so youll take pity on it and refurb it instead with a nice store of spare parts! (look for a black original bag! You may be able to hepamod it like you can a 119 too...)

IMG_20190915_122820.thumb.jpg.07bdfc0f97d7cc7a1e5dc3bda9c7c591.jpg

IMG_20190915_122608.thumb.jpg.15587d7c2290aab521be641170bda1a0.jpg

1923646613_Hoover375.pdf

18 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I bought an old Hoover off eBay ( @beko1987 is a bad influence).  It was collection only or arrange your own courier.  Against my better judgment I went with Herpes, as they were the only ones who would pick it up from the seller's house and didn't need it sealing in a cardboard box (which the seller didn't have).  It's just been delivered, and the cunts have managed to break off and lose the rear wheels, thus rendering it basically unusable.  It's not the money I'm angry about (it wasn't expensive), it's the fact that something can survive 70-80 years in full working order and then get completely ruined in a matter of seconds by some fucking gibbon in a warehouse.  Hermes really are the absolute fucking pits.  Never again.

🤬

Hermes are the absolute worst of the worst. Awful. The lowest of the low. Satan's fucking armpit. If I see anything I've ordered is being delivered by them I just assume it isn't coming

On 2/28/2021 at 12:14 PM, Craig the Princess said:

Now the broadband drops out every hour and the router needs to be turned on and off. Support are blaming a line fault so have a 72 hour response time. Online suggests common router fault that Vodaphone won't admit but a £40 third party router cures.

Bit late for my reply on this, but the very first thing that anyone can do to improve their home broadband experience is to bin the utter pile of wank router that comes free with the service and put a decent one in.  The free ones are free for a reason.  Shit software, bad packet management, years-old design (that was the cheapest of the cheap in the first place) and manufactured by the millions with sod all quality control.

My personal preference is DrayTek routers.  Very robust, very reliable and extremely versatile:  settings for just about everything.  Most of their range is likely to be far and above what most people need for a domestic router, but it's worth it.

Because they're so robust, a second-hand one is a perfectly good prospect.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draytek-Vigor-2820N-Wireless-Router/303902509873?hash=item46c2004b31:g:mzYAAOSwSvlgO18p

Less than a tenner delivered and about 56.4 times better than anything that comes free.

52 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Can't quite see the serial number, but

535430499_HooverDates(JH).thumb.jpg.4128c0ed6de759517864e0dccb412b21.jpg

Practically, if it still runs and whatever that broken bit is hasnt smashed the switch I'm sure I have a spare 119 rear wheel set

IMAG1828.thumb.jpg.1f9985884b9317b1218c6ff33561c93d.jpg

Which should sit behind the smashed hood, bit of epoxy and a bend up of that bottom bracket should hold it. Looking at the service manual youll need a whole back end to repair, and that's going to be cheapest attached to an entire other 375. Which will be better than yours, so youll take pity on it and refurb it instead with a nice store of spare parts! (look for a black original bag! You may be able to hepamod it like you can a 119 too...)

IMG_20190915_122820.thumb.jpg.07bdfc0f97d7cc7a1e5dc3bda9c7c591.jpg

IMG_20190915_122608.thumb.jpg.15587d7c2290aab521be641170bda1a0.jpg

1923646613_Hoover375.pdf 2.38 MB · 0 downloads

As far as I can see the serial number is 3371109 - no letter at the start - so not sure how that ties in with that table.

DSC_1488.thumb.JPG.bc1ea687f0576967ca87bbdd6b59bd34.JPG

I reckon I could make those 119 wheels fit.  It still runs, sounds healthy and the bag inflates so I reckon with a pair of wheels on the back it'd be back to beating as it sweeps as it cleans in no time - although it's going to need a new belt pretty soon.

26 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Bit late for my reply on this, but the very first thing that anyone can do to improve their home broadband experience is to bin the utter pile of wank router that comes free with the service and put a decent one in.  The free ones are free for a reason.  Shit software, bad packet management, years-old design (that was the cheapest of the cheap in the first place) and manufactured by the millions with sod all quality control.

My personal preference is DrayTek routers.  Very robust, very reliable and extremely versatile:  settings for just about everything.  Most of their range is likely to be far and above what most people need for a domestic router, but it's worth it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draytek-Vigor-2820N-Wireless-Router/303902509873?hash=item46c2004b31:g:mzYAAOSwSvlgO18p

Less than a tenner delivered and about 56.4 times better than anything that comes free.

Strongly agree; I've used Draytek routers since 2000 and they're bomb-proof (but not lightning-proof). Currently got a 2762 doing the biz here: I really ought to send the unopened BT VDSL HomeHub back to them.

12 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

As far as I can see the serial number is 3371109 - no letter at the start - so not sure how that ties in with that table.

DSC_1488.thumb.JPG.bc1ea687f0576967ca87bbdd6b59bd34.JPG

I reckon I could make those 119 wheels fit.  It still runs, sounds healthy and the bag inflates so I reckon with a pair of wheels on the back it'd be back to beating as it sweeps as it cleans in no time - although it's going to need a new belt pretty soon.

Jan-June 1948 then. What is interesting is the other RD stamp... that's not from the factory. Must have been rebuilt in the past.

I'll dig them out over the weekend and check I still have them.

32 minutes ago, R1152 said:

I really ought to send the unopened BT VDSL HomeHub back to them.

They make a few quid on the bay.  Despite the router technically beloning to the supplier for the duration of your initial contract, the chances of them wanting it back are vanishinly small.  I'd just sell it.

Edit:  Plus you will have all the issues of your provider then bitching and moaning that you're not using their supplied equipment, so they can't help you in a fault condition, or they misunderstand you sending it back and terminate your account, or some other absurd situation caused by a customer service noddy* in a call centre somewhere having absolutely no clue what they are doing.  You'd be safer just binning it.

*I've been a call-centre-noddy before now (Yes mr customer, of course mr customer, I totally agree mr customer) and the vast majority of my colleagues would likely have struggled to tie their own shoelaces, lest they have any clue about what they were doing or indeed how the company they represented actually worked.

46 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Might have a look at this. My Virgin Media wifi speed is diabolical. Fine wired but useless outwith my living room.

5 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

Might have a look at this. My Virgin Media wifi speed is diabolical. Fine wired but useless outwith my living room.

I've seen some WIFI host systems get completely confused regarding what clients they are connected to, meaning they still believe they're connected to (and hence have a session open) for every client they've ever seen.  Two actual devices actually connected in range, but a list of devices it "thinks" are connected a mile long.  BRB*-reset and it works again, only to get clogged up again after a while.  Who designs a WIFI client that doesn't even have a session inactive timeout?

*Big Red Button.

Fun police at work; Godwin's law, blah blah, snowflakes, blah, blah, deleted threads, blah, not fair, legal jeopardy, blah, blah. Have I covered all the bases? If you're going to delete a thread every time someone takes a huff at what someone else has written this place will be pretty bare soon.

Edit to add: I R a twonk.

54 minutes ago, Talbot said:

I've seen some WIFI host systems get completely confused regarding what clients they are connected to, meaning they still believe they're connected to (and hence have a session open) for every client they've ever seen.  Two actual devices actually connected in range, but a list of devices it "thinks" are connected a mile long.  BRB*-reset and it works again, only to get clogged up again after a while.  Who designs a WIFI client that doesn't even have a session inactive timeout?

*Big Red Button.

Some years ago we had a number of ISP-provided routers that did just that; but once it had handed out 253 IP addresses, even with the devices being given a lease time of just 24 hours the routers stopped working and *nothing* would resurrect them. So we binned them, replaced them with DrayTeks at my suggestion and the problem ceased to exist.

The issue was not helped by the wi-fi being open at that time and iPhones being utterly promiscuous back then.

Another reason I didn't even put the BT Home Hub into service is that I disagree completely with BT's practice of making your router an open WiFi access point for others to use. I can remember some IT 'expert' donkey's years ago saying that wi-fi should be completely open 'for everyone to enjoy' (this was when it was a 'new thing'), to which my thoughts were "go stuff your head in a garden shredder".

19 minutes ago, R1152 said:

Some years ago we had a number of ISP-provided routers that did just that; but once it had handed out 253 IP addresses, even with the devices being given a lease time of just 24 hours the routers stopped working and *nothing* would resurrect them. So we binned them, replaced them with DrayTeks at my suggestion and the problem ceased to exist.

The issue was not helped by the wi-fi being open at that time and iPhones being utterly promiscuous back then.

Another reason I didn't even put the BT Home Hub into service is that I disagree completely with BT's practice of making your router an open WiFi access point for others to use. I can remember some IT 'expert' donkey's years ago saying that wi-fi should be completely open 'for everyone to enjoy' (this was when it was a 'new thing'), to which my thoughts were "go stuff your head in a garden shredder".

Don't forget Windows 10 sharing your wifi passwords with your contacts list.

Yes, really. It's why my SSID has -optout on the end as that's apparently how you stop it doing that.

Aye, it's all fun and games giving everybody access to wifi until somebody does something dodgy and it's traced back to your access point. The amount of copyright strikes I had to deal with in an old job was an eye-opener. I was on the network team at a university and we had a block of flats outside the campus that just ran standard broadband (rather than being on the JANET network like the buildings on-campus). The eejits in there kept trying to torrent films thinking they wouldn't get caught. I had to remind the residents in there almost monthly.

31 minutes ago, Rab said:

Hunter thread deleted due to pile on by infantile pissing contest..what I call the epitome of Whinging Poms.Have also removed all other content. I wont be back.

PS.Everybody that had a go at me..go fuck yourselves.

I don't think you were ever actually mentioned?

Skin of the finest silk.

41 minutes ago, Rab said:

Hunter thread deleted due to pile on by infantile pissing contest..what I call the epitome of Whinging Poms.Have also removed all other content. I wont be back.

PS.Everybody that had a go at me..go fuck yourselves.

That would be the thread where you posted how your mate had rescued a Hunter estate and we all said "well done!" and then some members sent you parts. 

Then when someone noticed the same car appear breaking on Facebook and asked what had happened so you deleted it and posted in here complaining?

I never saw any comments aimed at you. You came across as innocent in all of this, if left with a bit of egg on your face when your mate turns out to be breaking it, and possibly the admin of a Hunter Breaking page on Facebook😬

2 hours ago, Talbot said:

They make a few quid on the bay.  Despite the router technically beloning to the supplier for the duration of your initial contract, the chances of them wanting it back are vanishinly small.  I'd just sell it.

Careful - BT wanted mine back when I moved away sharpish from their increasingly dubious and unreliable 'service'.  Even sent a reply-paid bag for it.

25 minutes ago, dome said:

That would be the thread where you posted how your mate had rescued a Hunter estate and we all said "well done!" and then some members sent you parts. 

Then when someone noticed the same car appear breaking on Facebook and asked what had happened so you deleted it and posted in here complaining?

I never saw any comments aimed at you. You came across as innocent in all of this, if left with a bit of egg on your face when your mate turns out to be breaking it, and possibly the admin of a Hunter Breaking page on Facebook😬

He is not the Admin of any group.All projection from u lot.Man... I paid for the Haynes manual..Jeesus H christ.The unfortunate world of car enthusiam. Try and contribute..help people out..and then it turns into this shitshow..no worries. I dont want to any part of this anymore. Good day to u all.