The grumpy thread

outlaw118

All my old favourite quiet campsites that were deserted 350 days a year and run by grumpy old women who wouldn't usually even bother to answer the phone now have been taken over by knobheads with Facebook pages showing off their new "shabby chic" signage, bell tents to hire for £60 a night and online booking for "family plots" at £40 a pop.

Why does everything nice have to be ruined by the general public? Where can I go to get away from all these wankers? FFS man, I just want to spend as much time as possible as far away from any other people as I can and I had a pretty good setup going until for some reason a fucking disease made everywhere turn totally wank.

I'm really going to have to try and rent or buy my own field or some woodland somewhere, even if it totally bankrupts me.

Voda bastard phone.

Changed broadband providers on Friday from EE (fairly slow, would occasionally drop out, expensive) to Vodaphone who offered a good deal and looked like good reviews.

Now the broadband drops out every hour and the router needs to be turned on and off. Support are blaming a line fault so have a 72 hour response time. Online suggests common router fault that Vodaphone won't admit but a £40 third party router cures.

Fucking cunts.

After over 6 months of inactivity and vegetating due to a major dose of CBA the sun is out today, so I thought I’d give the old Polo a quick oil and filters change, as well overdue.

That went well*. Undid the sump plug and the threads came out with the plug. Bollocks. Car now up on ramps blocking the drive whilst I consider my and it’s options.

Just found out a work colleague died from a heart attack on Thursday.

I've been off all week, known him 10 years.

What makes me especially angry is apparently he looked ill and complained of chest pains and tingling in the arms for two days.

Wish I'd of seen him and had hold of him. I'd have driven him to a&e immediately.

Can't help but feel so helplessly angry at quite a few people. Things could have been so different.

On 2/26/2021 at 6:56 PM, New POD said:

Currently in A&E awaiting an inspection of my wound.  I snapped a plate whilst washing up. 

I'm on blood thinners.  It took 3 attempts to stop it bleeding, but i want it dressed by professionals. 

20210226_174046.jpg

Snap (no pun intended). Did pretty much the same washing up my favourite mug. The handle snapped off and the bit left on the mug sliced my hand open.

20210228_144046.thumb.jpg.1193c834fed7b26391aeaad53fb86928.jpg

I'm not on any medication, but it bled like a bastard for a few minutes, so you have my sincerest sympathy.

After over 6 months of inactivity and vegetating due to a major dose of CBA the sun is out today, so I thought I’d give the old Polo a quick oil and filters change, as well overdue.
That went well*. Undid the sump plug and the threads came out with the plug. Bollocks. Car now up on ramps blocking the drive whilst I consider my and it’s options.
If its an ally sump the Vw sump plug repair kits work well.

16 hours ago, cobblers said:

Why does everything nice have to be ruined by the general public? Where can I go to get away from all these wankers? FFS man, I just want to spend as much time as possible as far away from any other people as I can...

Try an AS weekend at the Field of Dreams.  We can provide a different (and much better) class of wanker...! 😎

On 2/26/2021 at 5:56 PM, New POD said:

Currently in A&E awaiting an inspection of my wound.  I snapped a plate whilst washing up. 

I'm on blood thinners.  It took 3 attempts to stop it bleeding, but i want it dressed by professionals. 

20210226_174046.jpg

the dog would of licked it for you .....

8 minutes ago, MikeR said:

the dog would of licked it for you .....

That happened to me when I cut a chunk out of my hand with secateurs. My Spaniels followed me into the house, licking up the trail of blood. They were most disappointed when I finally stopped bleeding everywhere, by that point my hand looked like a lump hammer.

I had no plasters so wrapped my hand with masking tape and kept going until the blood stopped coming through.

32 minutes ago, louiepj said:
2 hours ago, Jenson Velcro said:

If its an ally sump the Vw sump plug repair kits work well.

Yes it is. Thanks I’ll get one ordered.

Did this get fixed ?
I have had hands on with these meter pit units, mostly on a work bench rather than a muddy trench..
The meter itself is screw seated onto a rubber gasket so it may just need a nip up
Anglian water are coming in the next day or two apparently.
They've frozen the usage, or something. We're still turning it off though, no point in letting water pee in to the foundations of the kitchen!

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, iainrcz said:

Anglian water are coming in the next day or two apparently.
They've frozen the usage, or something

They'll do a leakage allowance once it's been fixed - basically take a meter reading after it's fixed, then x period later, work out usual usage and deduct from the erroneous usage to decide how much has leaked, then credit your account with the ££ difference.

DM me your account number and I'll make sure they've "stopped" the account. (I'm a Resolutions Manager for the shower of shite)

Oh FFS.

Nothing like just going to tidy up and then finding that halfway through the wiring run you just pulled, unnoticed by you, it tangled and snagged.  In the one bit you didn't check because it's a pain to get to while in the garage.

IMG_20210301_125129.thumb.jpg.4b43b9204b8bd076ad1ef9f58f3e29d4.jpg

Arse.  I don't like having unnecessary connectors (especially under the car) but sod it.  I'm not re-doing half the work, and if it fails all it's running is the clock.  Hardly mission critical.

I bought an old Hoover off eBay ( @beko1987 is a bad influence).  It was collection only or arrange your own courier.  Against my better judgment I went with Herpes, as they were the only ones who would pick it up from the seller's house and didn't need it sealing in a cardboard box (which the seller didn't have).  It's just been delivered, and the cunts have managed to break off and lose the rear wheels, thus rendering it basically unusable.  It's not the money I'm angry about (it wasn't expensive), it's the fact that something can survive 70-80 years in full working order and then get completely ruined in a matter of seconds by some fucking gibbon in a warehouse.  Hermes really are the absolute fucking pits.  Never again.

🤬

43 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

completely ruined in a matter of seconds by some fucking gibbon in a warehouse.

🤬

No help now obviously but anything even slightly breakable I send out whether it's by post or courier gets wrapped with the assumption that it's going to be lobbed out the back of a van onto solid concrete many times during its journey and used as a football. 

53 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Hermes really are the absolute fucking pits.  Never again.

🤬

I'd never use them myself but I can attest that my local father and daughter team of Hermes delivery drivers are ace.

A now departed friend of mine once said, much as Spiny Norman has said, to pack things with mechanical handling in mind, e.g. falling off an inclined conveyor. If you think your packing's good enough, pick the item up to chest height and drop it.

For something like that Hoover I'd have gone to Shiply, but sadly it's too easy to be wise after the event.

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I bought an old Hoover off eBay ( @beko1987 is a bad influence).  It was collection only or arrange your own courier.  Against my better judgment I went with Herpes, as they were the only ones who would pick it up from the seller's house and didn't need it sealing in a cardboard box (which the seller didn't have).  It's just been delivered, and the cunts have managed to break off and lose the rear wheels, thus rendering it basically unusable.  It's not the money I'm angry about (it wasn't expensive), it's the fact that something can survive 70-80 years in full working order and then get completely ruined in a matter of seconds by some fucking gibbon in a warehouse.  Hermes really are the absolute fucking pits.  Never again.

🤬

Oh dear, welcome to the dark side. I've got thousands* of pounds of vintage rare vacuums in the loft but am too scared to post them! 

What vac is it? 60/70 puts it at 1334/a/612/262 territory... And I've got oodles of parts and wheels for that era spare

20210227_121055.thumb.jpg.f59a0b2fa8438656d0a4bd59b5c61713.jpg

Packing up is always scary. There's a Lux 345 in the tall box, probably a fivers worth of bubble wrap in there, inner boxes, struts, braces etc. Aquamaster is a bit more resilliant and has all its original packaging so that was a bit easier. 

Got to kick the shit out of it whilst packing. If it fails in the front room it won't last the depot! Even so every box is insured for the value I was paid (you need the corresponding financial transaction for a parcel monkey claim I've found) so their now detached from my collector bit of my brain and into the practical 'if they get fucked they get fucked, refunds all round' bit