The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

Don't Texans have electricity meters then?

They do, but because of a particularly virulent strain of libertarian fruitloopery they aren't connected to the rest of the US grid, such as it exists, and there's little regulation of the power network as we understand it in the UK; when ~36 gigawatts(a bit less than 1/3rd of total capacity) of generating capacity FTPed in the recent cold snap the supply/demand equilibrium stopped being in equilibrium and those that weren't simply cut off and were on a floating tariff learnt the down side of demand management when 5c/kWh became $10/kWh. The loss of supply to such frivolous customers as hospitals and warehouses in the grocery supply chain is just another delightful detail. Texas was briefly a demonstration of the truism that you're only 3 meals away from chaos, at least if you have an unregulated electricity supply and distribution system that isn't ready to deal with bad but within precedent weather.

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

They do, but because of a particularly virulent strain of libertarian fruitloopery they aren't connected to the rest of the US grid, such as it exists, and there's little regulation of the power network as we understand it in the UK; when ~36 gigawatts(a bit less than 1/3rd of total capacity) of generating capacity FTPed in the recent cold snap the supply/demand equilibrium stopped being in equilibrium and those that weren't simply cut off and were on a floating tariff learnt the down side of demand management when 5c/kWh became $10/kWh. The loss of supply to such frivolous customers as hospitals and warehouses in the grocery supply chain is just another delightful detail. Texas was briefly a demonstration of the truism that you're only 3 meals away from chaos, at least if you have an unregulated electricity supply and distribution system that isn't ready to deal with bad but within precedent weather.

Any hospital that signs up to that are not acting very responsibly. 

Strangely, contrary to what you might assume, Texas gets more power from renewables than any other state, which didn't help, as solar doesn't work very well with snow on top of it. I think the wind farms had problems, too.

2 hours ago, Lankytim said:

Unfortunately my original pinion was binned along with the original starter motor. 

Sorry if I'm being stupid here, can a 10-tooth pinion from somethign else be made to fit with appropriate tools? e.g

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STARTER-PINION-BARREL-M35G-10-TOOTH-LUCAS-54240294/143945467602?hash=item2183d186d2:g:KacAAOSw-iFgJUpc

By someone knowledgable about such matters? I will ask if Mike thingy happens to have, or know about a source of 10-tooth pinions for Visa 652cc, is there any more info i can give him to help/narrow it down?

51 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Sorry if I'm being stupid here, can a 10-tooth pinion from somethign else be made to fit with appropriate tools? e.g

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STARTER-PINION-BARREL-M35G-10-TOOTH-LUCAS-54240294/143945467602?hash=item2183d186d2:g:KacAAOSw-iFgJUpc

By someone knowledgable about such matters? I will ask if Mike thingy happens to have, or know about a source of 10-tooth pinions for Visa 652cc, is there any more info i can give him to help/narrow it down?

I don't even know who made the 652cc starter motor, although I could find out.(Got 2 Visa manuals upstairs). But parts like that are usually used across a wide variety of cars. There's no need to design a different 10 tooth pinion for every car that needs one that you supply for.

I should ask the garage whether they have anything to suggest, as it's their careless attitude that got you into this mess.

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

Any hospital that signs up to that are not acting very responsibly. 

Strangely, contrary to what you might assume, Texas gets more power from renewables than any other state, which didn't help, as solar doesn't work very well with snow on top of it. I think the wind farms had problems, too.

50% of their WTG capacity FTPed due to the cold, it's not clear whether that was blade icing or whatever; regardless that only represents ~10% of gross capacity or about 12GW, the majority of the FTP was good old-fashioned thermal generation from gas, coal and nuclear. ERCOT is a delinquent organisation with a board packed with loony ideologues, they're the reason the generators and the grid are not fit for purpose.

1 hour ago, Stanky said:

Just looked it up, but they used starters from about 5 different makers, so there should be some hope.

However 

https://www.chevronics.co.uk/product/starter-motor-visa-652cc/?v=79cba1185463.

The only problem might be if it's on exchange, as your original has departed.

3 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Just looked it up, but they used starters from about 5 different makers, so there should be some hope.

However 

https://www.chevronics.co.uk/product/starter-motor-visa-652cc/?v=79cba1185463.

The only problem might be if it's on exchange, as your original has departed.

Are you able to let me know which manufacturers made them and I can but ask when I go there next week?

7 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Are you able to let me know which manufacturers made them and I can but ask when I go there next week?

Definitely Paris-Rhone,Ducellier, Motorola, i.e the usual suspects, Also Iskra.

I just looked at Autodoc and one is listed there for €80, obvs don't know about dimensions, but definitely a 10 tooth pinion:-

Hey, check out ROTOVIS Automotive Electrics Starter in the AUTODOC app https://m.auto-doc.fr/rotovis-automotive-electrics/10228817

I followed 2 old women in a focus today 

It started off when I approached them in the inside lane of a 40mph dual carriageway,  they were doing 25mph in the outside lane for ¾ mile ,then they turned right in a 2 lane right turn that merges around the corner only they merged as they were turning the corner,I predicted it so hung back 

Next came a pelican crossing on red , luckily whoever pressed the button had crossed because she went straight through the red light , didn't even see it 

Now we're on the 30mph straight , she's got confidence on the straight so 40-45 is OK 

Looked about 80 , probably has a clean licence but if that's what I saw following her for 5 minutes I'm surprise she's not killed somebody 

38 minutes ago, Sunny Jim said:

Just eaten what will probably be my last solid food for a while. Off to the dentist to have a load of major work done this afternoon.

Get tooled up for afterwards.

You need oraljel max strength and solpedeine max dissolvable and max ibuprofen etc.

I had two titanium rods drilled in the same side once. Absolute agony for 24 hours.

Be proactive not reactive.

Oh, and my car suddenly saying "Transmission Fault" and locking up in 3rd... only for the fault to go away when I turned the car off and on again.

I am beginning to think this and other little occasional gremlins are saying "new battery, please".

Although I found the laptop with Carsoft on it to talk to the car, can I remember the password for it? Can I hell.

3 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

Can we go back to being indoors ?

I don't like it out here.

God I wish! I wondered why there was so much traffic around this morning. I love our seafront but the sunshine was encouraging people to promenade along the...well, you know...en masse. I mean bloody masses of them. What's wrong with walking round your garden 100 times FFS?

1 hour ago, New POD said:

Currently in A&E awaiting an inspection of my wound.  I snapped a plate whilst washing up. 

I'm on blood thinners.  It took 3 attempts to stop it bleeding, but i want it dressed by professionals. 

20210226_174046.jpg

Apparently I've peeled the skin, like an apple peeler.

Not deep, but long. 

20210226_185933.jpg

2 hours ago, New POD said:

Currently in A&E awaiting an inspection of my wound.  I snapped a plate whilst washing up. 

I'm on blood thinners.  It took 3 attempts to stop it bleeding, but i want it dressed by professionals. 

20210226_174046.jpg

Many years ago my gran called home saying she’d cut her hand on a picture frame. She was diabetic and on warfarin I think. I went right over in the 2cv and couldn’t stop the bleeding so took her in to casualty.  It was small but deep, unlike yours. Hope it heals well - blood thinner make everything look awful.

On 1/28/2021 at 7:57 PM, mat_the_cat said:

My father in law dies last October, and left everything, including his cars and motorbikes to my wife. We SORNed them immediately, as some were running out of tax anyway and wrote to the DVLA explaining the situation. After 2 months they replied with the V5s in her name. They've just hit her with four fines for owning vehicles neither taxed nor SORNed!

I've realised that as with road tax, the SORN status is also no longer transferred to the new owner, but a very insensitive way to find out!

Update to this is that she wrote to them, pointing out that the bereavement process did not explain the SORN would become invalid (only the road tax) and supplying prof of the vehicles we SORNed. This was only two of them, as two were trials bikes which had never ever been on the road, are not even road legal and hence were already SORNed. They've let her off the four fines, but are demanding she pays for road tax for the two bikes to cover the 2 months they had neither tax or SORN.

A couple of £200 water bills made us wonder what has broken. So...

.6923062ed22b126c63ba70a18399e308.jpg

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Soo.
New pipe in, new stopcock.
Water on and all's fine.
"I'll see you Monday, to backfill the trench and start the concreting"

30 minutes later, ppssshhhh.
It's now coming out of the water meter housing..
He's coming on Saturday morning to look.

For fuck's sake.

9 minutes ago, iainrcz said:

Soo.
New pipe in, new stopcock.
Water on and all's fine.
"I'll see you Monday, to backfill the trench and start the concreting"

30 minutes later, ppssshhhh.
It's now coming out of the water meter housing..
He's coming on Saturday morning to look.

For fuck's sake.

My colleague has had three days at home in the last week waiting for a plumber to visit when they said they would. Do they not want the work? 

5 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

My colleague has had three days at home in the last week waiting for a plumber to visit when they said they would. Do they not want the work? 

I've finally got one coming 8th March, the bill will be £4000.

All new system install etc.

It's amazing how many people don't call you back.

Mot garage was the same, don't want simple repair work.

02:49 AM.

What a wonderful time for something to start knocking the fscking RCD on the ring main out.

Oh - and the fuse box is in the bloody garage...so three times last night I had to go outside, teeter on top of a ladder (because it's installed basically at ceiling height) to reset it.

Seems like a global phenomenon.
Woodburner/ water heater- Install has been 'in progress' for 3 months. Delay of 6 weeks for tiler to install new hearth.
Garage lights - Hit up the sparky for a quote while he was here fixing a shower vent. quote took 3 weeks, accepted same day, 3 weeks later, still no start date
Garage door - contacted original installer [2013] for a service call.........no response. Hit up a supplier who is fitting a new door at work - easy as, no problem, - 3 weeks, still no call back
Ride on Mower - Shit itself before Christmas, needs a new deck due to rust. Think it may now be somewhere in the bermuda triangle.

Firewood - ordered in December to weather and dry over summer. Summer is ending, still not here.

Plus points for local panel shop. Enquired about a full respray on a Wednesday, Quoted on the Thursday, Follow up call on Friday saying a slot was available on Monday, job completed with complimentary service and valet by Thursday lunch.