The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 minutes ago, R1152 said:

My next door neighbour had this happen to him.

I didn't appreciate the mini-digger firing up at 6 am to find it.

The guy we've got doing it is an ex council plumber, he's in his 60's so 10am is as early as he likes to start.

We've got a narrow driveway so he's doing it all by hand. Just breaking the concrete with a drill and then digging the trench out with a spade.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:26 PM, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

ECP. Any part for any car though m9. 

Except pretty much every car I work on. I actually emailed their office once about that slogan and told them it's absolute shit but alas, no reply.

I watch a few car repairers on YouTube who are in the US. They use the chain O'Reillys to get their parts, and they really do seem to have everything.

Not sure if that is true, or maybe the YouTubers get a small kickback to say it is.

Yeah, that chain seems to be the go to place. I also like how most towns in the US have in stock, carb rebuild kits for any car since the 1940's. If I go now to my local factors and ask for say a 501 bulb, I'd be shown an LED colour changing kit and a mountain bike.

35 minutes ago, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

Yeah, that chain seems to be the go to place. I also like how most towns in the US have in stock, carb rebuild kits for any car since the 1940's. If I go now to my local factors and ask for say a 501 bulb, I'd be shown an LED colour changing kit and a mountain bike.

I remember holidaying to Oregon in 2018 and wandering into a car parts place. There were shelves of performance intake manifolds for all manner of big old American V8s, and carb rebuild kits alongside entire performance carb kits, huge pancake air filters too. It was awesome.

FFS , Another item to make my day...

Just had the clutch peddle on the focus clicking , when i looked it was the push rod slipping along the pin on the peddle in a bid for freedom  ... Nothing holds it captive  !!! 

A cable tie does now pending a better fix ..

The Visa had a new starter motor fitted by the guy doing the bodywork in June last year. I due to Covid and other happenings I only got it back a couple of months ago and only got a battery on it today to have a play with it and try  and get it to run. 

I told the fella that these 652cc starters are mega rare and that while 2CV starters look the same, they have a different number of pinion teeth and can't be used. Turns out his local Factors said they could fix the original, then said they couldn't but had managed to find a brand new replacement- £100 which was very cheap considering they're so hard to get.  I asked him to ensure he kept hold of the original, but the factors had already disposed of it for some reason, that boiled my piss on it's own but at least I've got a brand new starter motor. 

Fast forward 8 months and I'm finally able to do some work on the little Citroen. The starter sounds absolutely bloody awful. Remove the starter and you've guessed it. It's a 2CV one. 9 pinion teeth as opposed to 10.  Now I've got an overpriced 2CV item that's absolutely useless to me and as my original starter has been lost/scrapped/used to power the Perseverance Mars rover I can't get it reconditioned.

Is there a time limit for returning incorrectly supplied parts? I'm really rather pissed off with it all tbh. 

3 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

Daft thought, and no doubt a pain to do, but is the flywheel the same size on your Visa as a 2cv to either swap the flywheel or just the ring gear over to match your wrong starter.

Or are you then into wrong clutch, etc. territory 

A 2CV flywheel won't fit, for a start there's notches for the bellhousing sensors with 2CVs don't have. 

20 minutes ago, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

I often thought this about those lot that set the Citroen repair book times. The basterds.

I’d just spent 45 minutes bent double taking the pollen filter out of a car, glove box out, foot well trim out, GEM module out, then some retaining plate out to get to the bastard. According to the schedule it’s an annual job. So why is it such a bitch to get out?

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

The Visa had a new starter motor fitted by the guy doing the bodywork in June last year. I due to Covid and other happenings I only got it back a couple of months ago and only got a battery on it today to have a play with it and try  and get it to run. 

I told the fella that these 652cc starters are mega rare and that while 2CV starters look the same, they have a different number of pinion teeth and can't be used. Turns out his local Factors said they could fix the original, then said they couldn't but had managed to find a brand new replacement- £100 which was very cheap considering they're so hard to get.  I asked him to ensure he kept hold of the original, but the factors had already disposed of it for some reason, that boiled my piss on it's own but at least I've got a brand new starter motor. 

Fast forward 8 months and I'm finally able to do some work on the little Citroen. The starter sounds absolutely bloody awful. Remove the starter and you've guessed it. It's a 2CV one. 9 pinion teeth as opposed to 10.  Now I've got an overpriced 2CV item that's absolutely useless to me and as my original starter has been lost/scrapped/used to power the Perseverance Mars rover I can't get it reconditioned.

Is there a time limit for returning incorrectly supplied parts? I'm really rather pissed off with it all tbh. 

I wonder if it possible just to change that particular pinion drive to the correct one?  If anyone can do it, Mike Jordan at Just Alternators and Starters can! JASM.co.uk 

(can be difficult to get a hold of but he is very very good and has done work for me and friends rebuilding alternators and starters) 

Had the door bell go while I'm having my tea. This man:

A21022517195321.thumb.jpg.9a9cf3e8662bf2b04233fe191b875247.jpg

He says "I'm not a pikey, is your capri for sale?"

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! Always makes me nervous who's been snooping around the back (can't see crapi from road), and under my cat piss tarps.

Add in I've had 2 dreams in 2 days about the capri.

First one I had someone scratching it with an axe, so I hit them in the head with a lump hammer. I was then explaining to the police it's not my fault they have a soft head and brain damage, and can I have my hammer back as I've had it a long time, and a bit of skull stuck to it adds character.

Then the cable guys digging up the pavement moved it with a mini digger, so I was once again being violent. (police had given me back my hammer).

Don't know why i'm so bothered as capri was terminally rusty when parked up 15 years ago. Now it's more rusty with the bonus of not starting. I guess it's a) it's mine! and b) I'll never be able to buy another one. Well I could, but won't as above the limit on what I'd spend on cars.

I think the setees would look better swoped around (as in the rooms they're in) said my Mrs..

IMG_20210225_143305.thumb.jpg.701b3872580c3f4fb9027ace841b1d4d.jpg

Two seaters weren't too bad but the two three seaters......

Obviously at two minutes past three I didn't* twat the clock off the wall in the hallway, smashing the glass, or damage the ceiling light. I did remove the bfo mirror from the wall and of cause I can* get it back on it's brackets now.

7 hours ago, iainrcz said:

A couple of £200 water bills made us wonder what has broken. So...

.6923062ed22b126c63ba70a18399e308.jpg

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Most water companies, if you push them, will offer a revised bill based on the fact that you have an obvious leak.  They will look at your previous bills and your next bill after the repair is done and charge you an appropriate amount for the bills that clearly have leakage measured on them.

I've done this before now.  They don't advertise that they will do it, and you have to make the point that you pay for water you use, not what has leaked out. 

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

I'd say as it's less than a year you have comeback against the guy who fitted it. 

12 minutes ago, Talbot said:

not what has leaked out. 

Water company here looks at it this way. It's after the meter, that pipe belongs to you and if it's leaking, well, you used it.

They will send you a notice that says "We think you might have a leak based upon your water usage", if it suddenly spikes.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I’d just spent 45 minutes bent double taking the pollen filter out of a car, glove box out, foot well trim out, GEM module out, then some retaining plate out to get to the bastard. According to the schedule it’s an annual job. So why is it such a bitch to get out?

What make of car? I often think that the French makers, much as I love their cars, only provide rhd cars under duress.

I did a service on a car I've never worked on before last week, a Mitsubishi Outlander phev, of course designed for rhd. It took 2 minutes and now I've done one it would be less than 1. On the other hand it did have the usual Japanese feature of the belly pan being held on with rusty M6 screws straight into captive nuts inside the front cross member.

4 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Water company here looks at it this way. It's after the meter, that pipe belongs to you and if it's leaking, well, you used it.

They will send you a notice that says "We think you might have a leak based upon your water usage", if it suddenly spikes.

The same principle has power companies charging Texans usurious rates for electricity, even when it isn't available. Because FREEDUM!

1 hour ago, jamescarruthers said:

I wonder if it possible just to change that particular pinion drive to the correct one?  If anyone can do it, Mike Jordan at Just Alternators and Starters can! JASM.co.uk 

(can be difficult to get a hold of but he is very very good and has done work for me and friends rebuilding alternators and starters) 

I'm going to be there next week, would you like me to ask him in person @Lankytim?

4 hours ago, MikeR said:

FFS , Another item to make my day...

Just had the clutch peddle on the focus clicking , when i looked it was the push rod slipping along the pin on the peddle in a bid for freedom  ... Nothing holds it captive  !!! 

A cable tie does now pending a better fix ..

There will be a spring washer on the floor somewhere, same happened to my fiesta 15 yrs ago and I think i may have bodged/cable tied that too...inadvertent long term repair as I'd completely forgotten about it till now :)  !! 

2 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

Unfortunately my original pinion was binned along with the original starter motor. 

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

When you say annual job.  It takes a year ?