The grumpy thread

outlaw118

8 minutes ago, loserone said:

You're thinking of the other place across the sea.  Budget £200 for a fine and be as safe as you can.

Sorry, not being funny but "budgeting for a fine" earns a solid 'fuck that' from me. 

4 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

Link us to the car, if its over £500 none of us will be nipping in to steal it from under your nose anyway 😂

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101158017976?atmobcid=soc3

Most people here will probably hate it, but i don't care. And yes I know the money is strong. #Haggle

50 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

You can purchase small bottles of Roundup without a licence. The agricultural supplier to me does. It is not great for your health if you do use it. Maybe purchase sprayer and make your own weed killer up using white vinegar, salt, washing up liquid, water. There is loads of info on the interweb.

A skip what for? Just pile the rubbish up before the skip and fill when it arrives.

The slower pace of life is not for everyone and now Covid is here some parts of the country seemly have gone to sleep.

The cost of small bottles of Roundup to do about about 4000 sq ms is many more times than the cost of my gardener doing the whole lot, and the stuff he uses will (according to my neighbour) stop stuff growing this summer. 

I hadn't even considered making my own, and as I have a 10 litre sprayer, it makes sense to have a go in a few patches to work out what's best. Thanks.

All the stuff is piled up in the garden, and have left a gap so the skip can be dropped right in front, so I can just push everything in. Had one taken away before Christmas, but think he forgot to drop it straight back. The skips are bigger than the ones I had but even now i think i will need another one. This is the pile of stuff 4 weeks ago, and it's nearly doubled in size now:

20210116_160134.thumb.jpg.7e426e772f228f542da324565147c50c.jpg

I will chop some of it up so it's more compact. This is the the last skip I had, and I filled it to the top20201104_161311.thumb.jpg.9aad7368a7e124396fe55e0d08efaade.jpg

28 minutes ago, Crackers said:

I have found the car I've been hunting for nearly 2 years. It's more or less perfect in terms of spec and condition, except for a couple of small mods that may make it more difficult for me to insure. 

It's also (just) within budget. 

I want to buy it. 

It's in Glasgow. 

I live in Chichester. 

We're in a national lockdown. 

Arse, balls, and other less polite angry words spring to mind. 

Modded cars have proved cheaper for me to insure than a standard car. Had a bog standard 1999 Saab 9-5 with the 2.3 turbo engine in sure through Sheilas Wheels. I replaced it with a 2005 2.3 turbo with mods to the engine, ECU, brakes, wheels, suspension, exhaust and stereo. Insurance fell by £75. And I got free handbag cover too🤢

31 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Sorry, not being funny but "budgeting for a fine" earns a solid 'fuck that' from me. 

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101158017976?atmobcid=soc3

Most people here will probably hate it, but i don't care. And yes I know the money is strong. #Haggle

Nice car. Can see why you'd be reluctant to trust a random Scottish guy off the Internet with 13k worth of M1 🤣

If you were going to buy it I'm sure one of us could nip over and drool over it for you, and make sure it's as advertised 👀

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

I have found the car I've been hunting for nearly 2 years. It's more or less perfect in terms of spec and condition, except for a couple of small mods that may make it more difficult for me to insure. 

It's also (just) within budget. 

I want to buy it. 

It's in Glasgow. 

I live in Chichester. 

We're in a national lockdown. 

Arse, balls, and other less polite angry words spring to mind. 

You are allowed to travel for work.  Can get the vendor to offer you a job with company car and then sack you later ? 

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

I can't really justify a flight to Glasgow and then a 9 hour journey home as an "essential" journey. 

My grump is I can't find anyone to do a welfare visit to my mother in Glasgow.  I'd go myself but I'm down here in Hampshire and look after my elderly father round the clock.  Wish I could find someone.

2 minutes ago, Alan_Green said:

My grump is I can't find anyone to do a welfare visit to my mother in Glasgow.  I'd go myself but I'm down here in Hampshire and look after my elderly father round the clock.  Wish I could find someone.

What manner of welfare visit? A hello, a chinwag on the doorstep and deliver some groceries could be done by a shiter and reported back to you. Anything more involved maybe not. All of that is perfectly legal within the same council area and arguably legal even if without; my old man has been doing the same for folk who can't get about easily and he's not a spring chicken himself.

Hmm.

This...

16 minutes ago, New POD said:

You are allowed to travel for work.  Can get the vendor to offer you a job with company car and then sack you later ? 

...immediately followed by:

5 minutes ago, Alan_Green said:

Now I'm not the most enterprising chap, but... I don't think I need to finish this sentence 🤔

41 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Can you not burn that if its garden trimmings? Or do they put you in prison for a thousand years if you do things like that there?

Have to have a licence (which I have) and only allowed to burn during specific times on specific days.

The problem is that I am surrounded by woodland and brush, and it has been a very dry winter. One stray spark and.....💥🚒🚒🚒

1 hour ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Have to have a licence (which I have) and only allowed to burn during specific times on specific days.

The problem is that I am surrounded by woodland and brush, and it has been a very dry winter. One stray spark and.....💥🚒🚒🚒

Ah, yes I'd not thought of that, it's not stopped bastard raining/snowing here, ANYTHING catching fire would be a fine thing!

Just now, Stanky said:

Ah, yes I'd not thought of that, it's not stopped bastard raining/snowing here, ANYTHING catching fire would be a fine thing!

I have had a small bonfire before Christmas to get rid of all the brambles I cut down in August. They were so dry they burnt to ashes in minutes. 

32 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I have had a small bonfire before Christmas to get rid of all the brambles I cut down in August. They were so dry they burnt to ashes in minutes. 

Does Portugal have plant hire like the UK does? A day's hire of a chipper would produce a pile of mulch much smaller than that and as it's dry it could be fed into a stove.

3 hours ago, Crackers said:

Yes I do, but not enough to break the law and risk an encounter with Monsieur Le Gendarme. Another one will come along one day. 

Private sale, all I know about the location is "Glasgow". 

You are allowed to travel to complete a legal obligation or business transaction; certainly in England. I suspected this was the case, a friend of mine tested it last week with constabulary in Devon (200 miles from home) and was waved on his way.

Breadvan72 (late of this parish) posted as such on PH just the other day.

Go by car as a pair with someone you already live with and you’re within the law (again, certainly in England).  

2 hours ago, Alan_Green said:

In England you are allowed to visit as a carer.  You are also allowed to move house. @MikeRis about to move in with his mother in law full time (with his wife and kids) because she needs 24 hour care. Assuming she comes out of hospital.  My wife, will be visiting her mother daily as a carer, to provide rest bite care for her sister (Mike's wife), for a couple of hours.  It's only a mile away, but if it were 600 miles, I'm sure it within the legal framework of the rules, most of which are advisory and not actually law. 

Dad's Mac laptop broke.  He's bought another one as the timescale for getting his current one repaired is several weeks, if not months.

'Which one have you bought, Dad?' 

'The 2020 Intel one, 13-inch.'

'...'

'What?'

'You've spent more money on a much less capable machine.'

'But it is more compatibl....'

*Shakes head*  'Only if you want to run Windows, and you have a ThinkPad...'

'Well it's done now.'

I mean, it's not like I work in IT or anything and have been using Macs every day for the last 15 years and read reviews and technology news daily.  Why the Hell didn't he call me first?!

16 minutes ago, New POD said:

In England you are allowed to visit as a carer.  You are also allowed to move house. @MikeRis about to move in with his mother in law full time (with his wife and kids) because she needs 24 hour care. Assuming she comes out of hospital.  My wife, will be visiting her mother daily as a carer, to provide rest bite care for her sister (Mike's wife), for a couple of hours.  It's only a mile away, but if it were 600 miles, I'm sure it within the legal framework of the rules, most of which are advisory and not actually law. 

this is a planned takeover of the family assets , we/she /kids  will become sitting tenants and will need moving on  with a large wad of dosh ..

or rather my wife and kids will , I will take over my house as a estranged husband and change the locks ...and apply for cheaper council tax ....

I am being very helpful at the moment as it suits my plan

4 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

The cost of small bottles of Roundup to do about about 4000 sq ms is many more times than the cost of my gardener doing the whole lot, and the stuff he uses will (according to my neighbour) stop stuff growing this summer. 

I hadn't even considered making my own, and as I have a 10 litre sprayer, it makes sense to have a go in a few patches to work out what's best. Thanks.

All the stuff is piled up in the garden, and have left a gap so the skip can be dropped right in front, so I can just push everything in. Had one taken away before Christmas, but think he forgot to drop it straight back. The skips are bigger than the ones I had but even now i think i will need another one. This is the pile of stuff 4 weeks ago, and it's nearly doubled in size now:

20210116_160134.thumb.jpg.7e426e772f228f542da324565147c50c.jpg

I will chop some of it up so it's more compact. This is the the last skip I had, and I filled it to the top20201104_161311.thumb.jpg.9aad7368a7e124396fe55e0d08efaade.jpg

Modded cars have proved cheaper for me to insure than a standard car. Had a bog standard 1999 Saab 9-5 with the 2.3 turbo engine in sure through Sheilas Wheels. I replaced it with a 2005 2.3 turbo with mods to the engine, ECU, brakes, wheels, suspension, exhaust and stereo. Insurance fell by £75. And I got free handbag cover too🤢

I can burn my the waste from my land. I would not really call it garden waste, because it is not my garden more like a finca . I have to get a licnce for that and during dry spells there is a total ban, naturally. Licence is free.

My sprayer is like this.

https://www.leroymerlin.es/fp/16354051/mochila-12l-pulverizacion-continua-basic-by-matabi

The old boys around me use copper ones. I also have one, that is for decoration only. Like this https://www.milanuncios.com/antiguedades-de-coleccion/antigua-maquina-de-sulfatar-3a-164506065.htm

Now that is a skip.🙂

58 minutes ago, MikeR said:

this is a planned takeover of the family assets , we/she /kids  will become sitting tenants and will need moving on  with a large wad of dosh ..

or rather my wife and kids will , I will take over my house as a estranged husband and change the locks ...and apply for cheaper council tax ....

I am being very helpful at the moment as it suits my plan

Yeah, that's what dickhead clearly thinks. Twat. 

1 hour ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Dad's Mac laptop broke.  He's bought another one as the timescale for getting his current one repaired is several weeks, if not months.

'...'

'What?'

'Well it's done now.'

I mean, it's not like I work in IT or anything and have been using Macs every day for the last 15 years and read reviews and technology news daily.  Why the Hell didn't he call me first?!

Yer only a kid, whadda you know?

I've been to morrisons. Late night visit so it will be quiet and stress free. Wrong!

Went to get a trolley and hear "m8, M8, M8!!!!! Giz a quid. Go on. Giz a quid" from some chavvy wanker. Ignored and went in shop.

Inside the shop I've become a light bulb attracting 2 moths.

One is granny fuckwit, a little old lady who looks at death's door, and is shuffling around without a mask. She is constantly coming the other way to me. It's like playing dodge 'em on the atari 2600. Go away you angel of death!

The other is the comic book guy from the simpsons. I want apples. CBG is stood in front of apples fiddling with his phone. Fine I'll get milk and come back for apples. Argh, granny!, detour, get to milk and CBG is stood in front of milk fiddling with phone. Everywhere I go he's there first.

Half of what I want they don't have. As I'm doing the self serve thing the woman on the cig counter is talking about some druggie in the car park hassling people for money and how security are useless and can't get rid of him. I go out the door and my pal is out there smoking, except now he's trying the line of "could you possibly spare some change? I'm homeless, hungry, cold, wet....."  Sod off.

TLDR: don't go to morrisons.

3 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

'...'

'What?'

'Well it's done now.'

not too late to return it and get an M1 MBP is it?

(as a side note given how fast the M1 Macs are, I cant wait for ARM Mac Pro if said M1 macs are anything to go by, its going to be fucking amazeballs, not that id be able to afford it mind, but I can still drool over it LOL)

15 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

not too late to return it and get an M1 MBP is it?

(as a side note given how fast the M1 Macs are, I cant wait for ARM Mac Pro if said M1 macs are anything to go by, its going to be fucking amazeballs, not that id be able to afford it mind, but I can still drool over it LOL)

We'll have to see how stubborn he decides to be... not too late, it hasn't even been delivered yet.

An Air with a 16GB RAM upgrade (i.e. at £1,350) is something I'm eyeing up (but can't afford) at the moment.  I'm a bit sore that he didn't bother to check because it just seems like a waste of money for him to get an Intel one...

6 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

We'll have to see how stubborn he decides to be... not too late, it hasn't even been delivered yet.

An Air with a 16GB RAM upgrade (i.e. at £1,350) is something I'm eyeing up (but can't afford) at the moment.  I'm a bit sore that he didn't bother to check because it just seems like a waste of money for him to get an Intel one...

Yeah I agree

unless you have a very specific use case, I would go M1 Mac all the way

and wish I could afford one, id love an M1 Mac mini to mess around with or such (shame they dont currently have anything with more than 16GB of RAM or i could almost replace my Mac Pro with one if i could afford it! LOL)