The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Fuckwit customers at work. 

At least twice a week I have this conversation with people that knock on the door: 

'yes?'
'are you open?'

there is a bright orange sign on the door that says 'welcome, we are open', and another that says 'please knock' below it. 

'...Yes...'
'I've got a bike I want to bring down, is that alright?'
'yes, do you have it with you?'
'no, I wanted to see if you were open first'
[aneurysm]
'well bring it in at your leisure'

They never fucking come back. 

Do these morons not own telephones? The shop has a mobile phone number and a Messenger account...

When I worked for a week at a small record store, we used to have chavs come in asking for the "nu monkey" tapes.  I was told to tell them they were in the window.  They would go out and look at them in the window, then walk off.

Not one was ever sold.

It's hard not to say 'no' to people that ask if the shop is open. 

Or my desired response, which is 'let me just check with the Pope, oh wait, HE'S TAKING A SHIT IN THE WOODS'. 
We get a lot of folks in that don't buy anything. If someone ever buys the carbon Pinarello we have, I'll be astounded.

TikTok is shite. 

6 hours ago, loserone said:

My grump: Tik Tok.  Seriously, WTF? How can anyone with an attention span longer than a gnat's put up with it ? And then other platforms actually import the same frigging "content", which usually cuts before the end anyway. ARGH!

TikTok's only purpose is to make self important attention seeking wankers feel good for the 30 seconds their vid may last, its the worst type of social media there is.

12 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Anyone familiar with Kent may know that the council goes gung-ho with roadworks on the holidays. They had closed Hawkhurst highstreet from the A21 junction to the crossroads in the centre of the town on Monday morning.

The diversion is no problem at all, but on the following day they've decided digging up and closing half of the (already) congested diversion is a smashing idea. Kent County Council never fails to surprise me.

Driving in (and out) of Sittingbourne along what used to be the A2 via Faversham, etc. has been a nightmare for the last two years.  Just as soon as they've finished one set of roadworks, they open another.  Except they seem to be having a competition to see how many simultaneous sets of temporary lights they can manage along with the roadworks.  The current record is four.  Not so bad when you don't have to do it every day but it makes going into Sittingbourne take well over an hour, when realistically it's less than 40 minutes from here...

Many thanks to the Deliveroo driver who yesterday evening saw it fit to completely destroy three of the lights by our path (the third is halfway across the lawn) - which is where they "parked."

IMG_20210217_110824.thumb.jpg.cf29a493622be79c8642126c8049c280.jpg

Thanks for that.  Yeah, I really did want to replace them...concrete post lights sound good.  Let me see you kick those over.

18 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I'm currently sitting here pondering on whether or not I've just been bumped for £2,365....

Gardener arrived yesterday, 3 hours late, dug up the garden, fucked off after an hour and never came back. Was supposed to be here sharp this morning, not answering any communication attempts thus far. 

His Facebook page has lots of polished pictures of nice gardens but no visitor posts and he has no presence on Google reviews. 

Thankfully I've not paid him everything but that's money I earn by sitting in a soul destroying job every day. 

I really hope I'm wrong.

You paid in advance ? Ouch.

A Bloke was putting leaflets through every door, pointing, roof repairs, brick laying, patios.  

I managed to catch him as had Walked past coming the other way out of the cul de sac.  Looks at the gabble wall, suggests £3k.  

I suggest that I could take 2 weeks off work, hire a scaffolding tower and I'd still be up in the deal, could he do a deal on 2 houses? 

Suggests he could do 2 for £4k 

I'm not going with that, not before I've had 3 quotes, inspected their previous work, and spoken to 3 happy customers.

So I say, right, well I'll need to save up, get me a written quote with your name address and I'll get back to you. 

Starts getting a bit vague.  Then I realise it's a mobile number, no address, no name, no trading name. 

I'm thinking he lives in a caravan, and his day job involves tarmac.  Still waiting after 6 months for that quote. 

4 hours ago, barefoot said:

Who is it? 

Capability Brown?

You obviously think this is funny.

I have no frame of reference when it comes to these , so yeah, fucking cheers for that, I already feel a fool. I was hoping for a bit of moral support.

Fucking ram it, the lot of you.

20 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Been waiting a week for a skip to be dropped off at my place, 5 days for the gardener to come and spray my weeds (I cannot get a permit to buy proper weedkiller), and 4 days for the tree surgeon to come and prune the fir trees (for which you need a special permit).

The "manana" attitude here is pissing me off immensely once more.

You can purchase small bottles of Roundup without a licence. The agricultural supplier to me does. It is not great for your health if you do use it. Maybe purchase sprayer and make your own weed killer up using white vinegar, salt, washing up liquid, water. There is loads of info on the interweb.

A skip what for? Just pile the rubbish up before the skip and fill when it arrives.

The slower pace of life is not for everyone and now Covid is here some parts of the country seemly have gone to sleep.

I have found the car I've been hunting for nearly 2 years. It's more or less perfect in terms of spec and condition, except for a couple of small mods that may make it more difficult for me to insure. 

It's also (just) within budget. 

I want to buy it. 

It's in Glasgow. 

I live in Chichester. 

We're in a national lockdown. 

Arse, balls, and other less polite angry words spring to mind. 

1 minute ago, Crackers said:

I have found the car I've been hunting for nearly 2 years. It's more or less perfect in terms of spec and condition, except for a couple of small mods that may make it more difficult for me to insure. 

It's also (just) within budget. 

I want to buy it. 

It's in Glasgow. 

I live in Chichester. 

We're in a national lockdown. 

Arse, balls, and other less polite angry words spring to mind. 

Just go and get it then, its not against the law to buy a car, or get it delivered.

2 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Just go and get it then, its not against the law to buy a car, or get it delivered.

Supposedly it isn't permitted, that's what I've heard about private sales anyway. 

I can't really justify a flight to Glasgow and then a 9 hour journey home as an "essential" journey. 

Just now, loserone said:

Plenty trusted shiters in Glasgow who can help you @Crackers

@davehedgehog31, @jaypee, @320touring and @sdkrc for starters.  Or I think @SRi05.  Plenty more I've forgotten.  Just get it bought.

I appreciate the sentiment, but, and I truly mean this with no harm to anyone, when I'm going to be spending this kind of money (we're quite far out of shite territory here, I've been saving hard for 3 years to get to this point) I'd want to be there myself. 

4 minutes ago, loserone said:

Plenty trusted shiters in Glasgow who can help you @Crackers

@davehedgehog31, @jaypee, @320touring and @sdkrc for starters.  Or I think @SRi05.  Plenty more I've forgotten.  Just get it bought.

I'm a dodgy bastard m9

Where is the car @Crackers?  Is it a private sale or a dealer you're potentially buying from? 

17 hours ago, loserone said:

When I worked for a week at a small record store, we used to have chavs come in asking for the "nu monkey" tapes.  I was told to tell them they were in the window.  They would go out and look at them in the window, then walk off.

Not one was ever sold.

I work in a small record store. I can confirm that people still come in, ask for something specific, get shown specific item say 'cheers' and walk off. 

5 minutes ago, loserone said:

There's your choice though, you can either do the flight and the drive, trust someone else's eyes, or miss out.  Do you want it or no? 🙂

Yes I do, but not enough to break the law and risk an encounter with Monsieur Le Gendarme. Another one will come along one day. 

3 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

I'm a dodgy bastard m9

Where is the car @Crackers?  Is it a private sale or a dealer you're potentially buying from? 

Private sale, all I know about the location is "Glasgow".