The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I feel that all I'm really learning from this postgrad in GIS at the moment is how much I don't want to do it as a job.

It feels as though every piece of GIS-related software ever invented is a finicky, difficult to use, awkward pile of utter horse shit. I spend more time troubleshooting software than actually using it ffs!

The latest wonderful pile of crap we have to use is Idrisi Terrset and it keeps losing folder paths and forgetting where it saved files that are dependencies for other files... causing a cascade of errors and nothing ends up working.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

I feel that all I'm really learning from this postgrad in GIS at the moment is how much I don't want to do it as a job.

It feels as though every piece of GIS-related software ever invented is a finicky, difficult to use, awkward pile of utter horse shit. I spend more time troubleshooting software than actually using it ffs!

The latest wonderful pile of crap we have to use is Idrisi Terrset and it keeps losing folder paths and forgetting where it saved files that are dependencies for other files... causing a cascade of errors and nothing ends up working.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

+1 and I'm not even doing a course! I've got to make our new 2021 paf data into layers and geodatabases before I can amend and run the many alteryx flows we have to process it all and make new datasets.. 

I've got a 40 minute teams call that briefly explains it all in zero detail. 

It all starts with an output made in arcmap though which I don't kmow how to do. 

I'd hang in there though, its fascinating when it all works. 

3 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

+1 and I'm not even doing a course! I've got to make our new 2021 paf data into layers and geodatabases before I can amend and run the many alteryx flows we have to process it all and make new datasets.. 

I've got a 40 minute teams call that briefly explains it all in zero detail. 

It all starts with an output made in arcmap though which I don't kmow how to do. 

I'd hang in there though, its fascinating when it all works. 

Yeah, got it going and completed a decent amount of tutorials for today.

The problem is that I'm using the Terrset on the university's virtual desktop, so all my stuff is saved to my network drive share. I just had to copy a few files into their proper location and make properly sure I knew where I was saving each and every vector and raster layer I created so it could find them again. Much more diligence shall be used in the save location field from now on.

Conversely, I have no idea where I saved the layers I created last time I was logged into it. They've probably vanished into the digital ether. Only took a few minutes to recreate them though.

2 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

I dont know if this is a new thing, some buyers poured oil into the coolant of a car and tried to haggle a £200 purchase on a car up for £8995.

https://www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk/news/19076501.police-investigate-car-scam-nearly-lost-steventon-couple-9-000/

Thinking back a couple of years, I went with a friend to view a cheap Focus from a Trader, his yard was on a farm with cars undergoing surgery in various shonky sheds and barns.

There was an oily film in the header tank but the seller claimed the car had belonged to an old feller that had confused the expansion tank with the oil filler, on a one owner 14 year old car.

The above story sheds a different light on this oil contamination.

That scam has been going on for years - usually carried out by Romanians from what I've read (if that's not too politically incorrect a thing to post on AS these days).

CTB have been using a firm in Liverpool and Manchester. They tell you a price based on location and reg number and if you accept, the whole thing goes swimmingly. Effortless contact, very polite service and most importantly they turn up when they say they will, pay what they said they would and do all the paperwork.

Now it seems they've got Copart involved and they seem to be treating scrap cars as if they're some sort of lovechild of Gumtree and WeBuyAnyCar, lots of questions about service history, keys, damage, price wanted etc. They can GTF with that sketch. 

Just got home from dog walk and essential shopping.... Volvo has had a little wee.

Check header tank and level a smidge below maximum, so get home and notice this wee has decided to become more apparent. Inspection shows small crack in radiator- Shit sticks. Quick brew and strip down me thinks.

Might have to freeze my ass off and use the bike in the morning (5am so guaranteed icy roads)

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

That scam has been going on for years - usually carried out by Romanians from what I've read (if that's not too politically incorrect a thing to post on AS these days).

It's not politically incorrect. I would use sometimes or often rather than usually.  We don't know how many of "Them" are doing it and how many are not doing it.  

I'm sure for every scammer there's 100 perfectly honest buyers.  I sold a car to an East European family and they were a delight to deal with. 

On 09/02/2021 at 13:19, Talbot said:

That sounds every kind of awesome.  Given that a Mk2 Cav engine bay is pretty huge, especially by modern standards, that should fit in there like a glove.

Might have to go and search out that thread.

I was looking, but it seems that since I was a member in 2009 and earlier, they've moved forums, and are mostly on Facebook. I couldn't find 10% of what I remembered? 

2 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

CTB have been using a firm in Liverpool and Manchester. They tell you a price based on location and reg number and if you accept, the whole thing goes swimmingly. Effortless contact, very polite service and most importantly they turn up when they say they will, pay what they said they would and do all the paperwork.

Now it seems they've got Copart involved and they seem to be treating scrap cars as if they're some sort of lovechild of Gumtree and WeBuyAnyCar, lots of questions about service history, keys, damage, price wanted etc. They can GTF with that sketch. 

Highly area dependant. Try ringing whoever was coming to you directly. 

RemoveMyCar might also come up with the goods. 

1 hour ago, Minimad5 said:

Just got home from dog walk and essential shopping.... Volvo has had a little wee.

Check header tank and level a smidge below maximum, so get home and notice this wee has decided to become more apparent. Inspection shows small crack in radiator- Shit sticks. Quick brew and strip down me thinks.

Might have to freeze my ass off and use the bike in the morning (5am so guaranteed icy roads)

A quick look in the massive stash of spares, and a radiator has been found.

Fitted and half bled- time for a quick wash and test drive up to operating temperature.

I bought a chair for my daughters bedroom.  We also got a new dining room set so spent a few hours dismantling the old one and building the new one so the chair was the last thing I did.

I got to the last chair leg and I don't know if the nut insert had a cross thread or I'm just a hamfisted bastard (probably the later) but the thread crossed.  I then had to spend ages knocking out the nut insert and trying to find another nut and bolt that fitted. I eventually got the leg on and it finally dawned on my it's about 50% of the size I expected. This wasn't advertised as a child chair  but she's only 6 and is pretty much too small for her to sit on.

Look at the size of it!

IMG_0011.jpg

Took the afternoon off from home working to take a look at the MX5 before it goes to the garage on Monday... thought a few months gap may shed new light on its issues.

This sight greeted me... 

855596DF-813F-4731-A8CA-CC99B570DF1D.jpeg

A few inches out completely frozen water. Turns out the the roof wasn’t closed properly and when the cover blew off in a storm it got very wet in there... 

Wouldn’t run properly either... not enough even to pull it to the garage... so after half an hour in the sub zero temperatures I declared it a “fuck that” will leave it for the garage on Monday!

I’d better de-moisture it though... 

Everyone needs to be healthy, does your fruit juice have too much sugar? You need this amazing* invention..... 40% fewer calories and less sugar (by diluting it with 40% water and charging more per serving).

http://tropicana.co.uk/our-products/tropicana-lean/mixed-berries-lean 

Not sure if it annoys me that marketing bods think people are thick enough to go for this shit or the fact that they are probably correct!

4 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Took the afternoon off from home working to take a look at the MX5 before it goes to the garage on Monday... thought a few months gap may shed new light on its issues.

This sight greeted me... 

855596DF-813F-4731-A8CA-CC99B570DF1D.jpeg

A few inches out completely frozen water. Turns out the the roof wasn’t closed properly and when the cover blew off in a storm it got very wet in there... 

Wouldn’t run properly either... not enough even to pull it to the garage... so after half an hour in the sub zero temperatures I declared it a “fuck that” will leave it for the garage on Monday!

I’d better de-moisture it though... 

poor running may be dampness in the ecu which lives under the carpet behind the glovebox - I found this out the hard way when driving home from work one night, the engine spluttered to a stop in the middle of nowhere, 2am :( I pulled the ecu, sat it on the warm engine to dry and remarkably made it home safe 

On 2/10/2021 at 10:53 AM, Rovorsche said:

I dont know if this is a new thing, some buyers poured oil into the coolant of a car and tried to haggle a £200 purchase on a car up for £8995.

https://www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk/news/19076501.police-investigate-car-scam-nearly-lost-steventon-couple-9-000/

Thinking back a couple of years, I went with a friend to view a cheap Focus from a Trader, his yard was on a farm with cars undergoing surgery in various shonky sheds and barns.

There was an oily film in the header tank but the seller claimed the car had belonged to an old feller that had confused the expansion tank with the oil filler, on a one owner 14 year old car.

The above story sheds a different light on this oil contamination.

These are what is known in the trade as "ShitCunts". Well done to the potential victims for spotting what was going on and not being bullied into the sale.

25 minutes ago, gm said:

poor running may be dampness in the ecu which lives under the carpet behind the glovebox - I found this out the hard way when driving home from work one night, the engine spluttered to a stop in the middle of nowhere, 2am :( I pulled the ecu, sat it on the warm engine to dry and remarkably made it home safe 

Oooh.... I wonder.... I’ll whip that out and dry it! 

I've manage do to Do Something to my shoulder and it means I can't do any of my artwork.  This isn't great, since that's stuff I get paid to do.  Every day I have to take off from work usually adds two days to my schedule minimum and shunts everything along.  Added to that, when you're healing up from an injury you can't work as hard, so it's even more difficult to catch up on the lost time, so those two days end up being three or four and before you know where you are you're having to decide which deadlines are most important at the end of the month.  It's annoying that the work it affects is the stuff I can't delegate and it being the start of the month means I'm all caught up on the work stuff that this doesn't affect so it's a case of thumb twiddling until it sorts out.

The injury itself isn't that severe, it's some sort of muscle strain or trapped nerve, but it means it's painful to hold a stylus or pen or anything that requires fine motor skills for any amount of time.  It also means that my hand swells up, or that my grip just randomly goes away.  No idea what's caused it, went to bed fine, woke up broken, so I must have done something particularly stupid in my sleep.  Mild painkillers are dealing with the pain and swelling issues, and light exercise helps with the grip issues but I just have to take it easy for a few days while it fixes.  Normally I'd distract myself by going on a walk or just window shopping but, with things as they are, I'm here posting about it instead.

8:30pm I came home from 13 hours at work. M1 was quiet, so I put the cruise control on at 70mph in the left hand lane and in 10 miles I reckon I came across about 10 cars doing mid 60s in lanes 2/3. Nothing else on the road. I wish I had a rocket launcher.

Got home and had to leave my van 200m away and carry all my gear back  up the road because no fucker can park, . 8 spaces taken up by 5 cars just parking at any old angle. Tyre nails?

Image result for i just hate the general public

We need to move house ASAP to get away from these arseholes, but everywhere we look at has half a dozen applicants and despite offering to pay the whole years rent up front, we get passed over because I'm self employed.

Bastarding boiler has completely  packed up and its minus 5 outside.

It's just over 2 years old and this is the second time it's broken down. Last year it needed a new circuit board and now there is an ignition fault and its leaking from somewhere around the condensate pipe. I initially  thought the pipe outlet outside was frozen and some ice did come out when I poured hot water over it but even after 5 jugfuls of hot water and rodding the pipe the boiler still won't work.

It's under warranty with the manufacturer Baxi so I called them and they cant send an engineer until FUCKING WEDNESDAY. They can get fucked with the Covid excuse, more precautions does not mean less engineers. The bint then had the brass neck to try and sell me more stuff. 

So no heating  or HW until then.

Anyone thinking of getting a Baxi boiler (sometimes known s Potterton) just don't. It was all we could afford at the time but I should have begged stole or borrowed a bit extra and got a Worcester. 

I am sorry to say that someone is paying for you to drive your car.  I expect you would not be so smug if the recharging was not free.

One day you will get a rude awakening. The free will mean with enough EVs on the road  the cars queuing for a recharge The other possibility is that the free ones will disappear in the end.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55941244

Oh,  and get rid of your crap tee shirt. how can anyone love range anxiety?

19 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

It's under warranty with the manufacturer Baxi so I called them and they cant send an engineer until FUCKING WEDNESDAY. They can get fucked with the Covid excuse, more precautions does not mean less engineers.

I bought new Baxi (on the strength of the 10 year warranty) 4 years ago and mine gave up about 9 months in (october time) and whilst Baxi did send someone out (who fixed it in 10 seconds - "oh, these sensors go wrong all the time") it did take them a while - 5 days i think. It wasn't mega cold at the time but the service was a bit lousy. The installers, who were a decent bunch, weren't able to help as all warranty work had to go to Baxi direct.

It hasn't blown up since though. Only frozen the condensate pipe and the error code and resolution is part of the support numbers gumph.

On 2/10/2021 at 5:30 PM, Kiltox said:

Highly area dependant. Try ringing whoever was coming to you directly. 

RemoveMyCar might also come up with the goods. 

Thanks.

I used a yard about 15 miles from here, they're brilliant. Told CTB in future that if they quote me I don't want a bid from Co(ck)Part.