The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Why do most of our visitors park on our large parking area such as to make it at a minmum awkard for us to get one of our vehicles out?  My suspected reasons for the behaviour are not at all flattering to the visitor's general reasoning skills,or more precisely the lack of such skills.

Grumpy - check

old- check

man - check

18 hours ago, yohan said:

Not been on here for a while but I thought I would share the annoying new scottish low emissions zone scheme.

So next year, 4 of the scottish cities will have a low emissions zone. This includes Aberdeen which I visit at least once a week which often feels like once a week too many but anyway...

There is a grant available from the government for those within a certain radius of the zone, which gives you £2000 to scrap your non compliant car and buy one thats compliant.

So since the deadline for applying for the grant is the end of next month... I made an enquiry.

To be eligible, Are you within 20 kilometres of the city centre? yes but only just. Are you on benefits? yes since I have children and a low income. Does your car fail to meet the minimum euro emissions rating? Yes its only euro 3. Have you owned the vehicle for more then 12 months? Oh for goodness sake!

They then offered an alternative option which is an interest free loan for buying a new or used electric car... but it has to be from a dealer...

OK fair enough all this stops potential fraud abuse, but I cant afford a car that will let me into Aberdeen (what a terrible shame...) and I cant make  my partner go instead because her 6 year old Dacia wont be allowed in either.

I have always said that the zoning of areas as being for low emissions vehicles will hurt  the less well off.  Where the hell are they meant to get money to "up grade" the vehicle?

Scrapping a perfectly usable car does not save the planet much either.

It has also been announced that the price of electric in the UK is going to rise soon. That will make them even more expensive to run.

My iPhone suddenly started to get hot when charging last week and the battery started to not hold a charge even when turned off. 
Now I’ve already put 2 new screen on this thing so thoughts it was worth trying a new battery . I ordered one off Amazon that was meant to have 20% extra capacity . It turned up and didn’t look very good quality but I fitted it anyway. At this point I found the battery in it was already a replacement . 
It was better but still draining fast so I presumed the new battery was junk so ordered a better one. I fitted that and exactly the same . 

I’ve even restored the phone from a backup , done the battery recalibration but it’s still burning a full charge in 4 hours even if I’m not using jt. Previously I could stretch 24 hours between charging with light use. 
I also just found a crack in screen no 3!

Shite

42 minutes ago, cort16 said:

My iPhone suddenly started to get hot when charging last week and the battery started to not hold a charge even when turned off. 
Now I’ve already put 2 new screen on this thing so thoughts it was worth trying a new battery . I ordered one off Amazon that was meant to have 20% extra capacity . It turned up and didn’t look very good quality but I fitted it anyway. At this point I found the battery in it was already a replacement . 
It was better but still draining fast so I presumed the new battery was junk so ordered a better one. I fitted that and exactly the same . 

I’ve even restored the phone from a backup , done the battery recalibration but it’s still burning a full charge in 4 hours even if I’m not using jt. Previously I could stretch 24 hours between charging with light use. 
I also just found a crack in screen no 3!

Shite

Which iPhone is it? My 5 did exactly the same

18 minutes ago, colc said:

Which iPhone is it? My 5 did exactly the same

iPhone 7.  I also updated to the latest version of IOS 14 at the time of the first battery failure as they can play up if you don’t do the updates . That was a mistake as I don’t now know now I’ve congee the battery if it’s ios14 or the phone . Normally doing a full restore sorts any iOS install glitches but not this time . 

Bloody Apple shite.  I still have the first Android smartphone I ever bought - a Vodafone own brand jobbie built by Alcatel.  That's 10 years old now, still on its original battery and will still manage 5 days on standby.  My iPhone 4 will still charge up and switch on and shows a full battery, but then as soon as I try to do anything with it it flashes a low battery warning and switches itself off.

5 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Bloody Apple shite.  I still have the first Android smartphone I ever bought - a Vodafone own brand jobbie built by Alcatel.  That's 10 years old now, still on its original battery and will still manage 5 days on standby.  My iPhone 4 will still charge up and switch on and shows a full battery, but then as soon as I try to do anything with it it flashes a low battery warning and switches itself off.

I really like the Apple stuff to use but  I do feel like it has a sniff of perceived quality you get with modern Audi's or BMW's. They're great when brand new but have distinct life span and a fucking nightmare when they get a bit older.

This phone was bought via eBay a year ago 2nd hand from a big seller of 2nd hand phones in excellent condition, which was true. However it's now clicked these companies buy wrecked phones and fix them to "excellent" condition using cheap chinesium parts, The screens in particular are like £15 so don't have the proper rhino glass like the apple screens so you just need to look at them funny and they'll crack.

On 2/5/2021 at 2:19 PM, PhilA said:

Bollocks.

20210205_075951.thumb.jpg.de7af59e91684a26973b7fe7045faca3.jpg

Couldn't that have broken after I made the coffee?

If that's a cafetiere, they are lethal.  While on holiday a couple of years ago a friend of mine was using one, pushed the handle down and the entire bloody thing shattered and came close to slicing her hand off!

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I did notice that whilst waving the camera round to try and film the crashed police car he managed to catch the driver's face - I wonder if that'll be clear enough for plod to use as evidence?

Hopefully they were stupid enough to upload it in HD somewhere 1019995951_Screenshot_20210206-154439_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f7522a772eac3514fdaffadd93268d02.jpg

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

If that's a cafetiere, they are lethal.  While on holiday a couple of years ago a friend of mine was using one, pushed the handle down and the entire bloody thing shattered and came close to slicing her hand off!

No, it's a regular percolator. The coffee bubbles up into that little glass window (the base of the tube is a basic steam pump) and down through the basket that holds the grounds.

Without it, scalding hot coffee would burp and fart all over the stove.

Phil

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

My iPhone 4 will still charge up and switch on and shows a full battery, but then as soon as I try to do anything with it it flashes a low battery warning and switches itself off.

He's had that ages , turn it off ,get him to spend some money 

I sold a mate an iPhone 4 , must be 6-7 years ago , he was still using it until recently , I  told him about waze

It'd install but wouldn't navigate to any more than a town 

On 2/5/2021 at 12:52 PM, kirton said:

Why do most of our visitors park on our large parking area such as to make it at a minmum awkard for us to get one of our vehicles out?  My suspected reasons for the behaviour are not at all flattering to the visitor's general reasoning skills,or more precisely the lack of such skills.

If they are visiting you, can't you ask them to move their cars?

Fuckybollocks:

Ordered a custom cut sheet of FRP from just about the only company I can find who offer it.  This is it.  it's needed to repair/replace the roof in a box trailer.  This stuff is fairly hard to come by in anything other than a whole roll, and isn't that cheap.

Turned up on Thursday, rolled up and cardboard wrapped.  Left it in my car Friday.  Got the trailer ready to have a new roof fitted today:  Double sided tape fitted where needed, roof rails cleaned up and degreased with acetone,  etc.  Undo the carboard on the FRP sheet, and......  It's damaged.  In two places.  Something has hit it and put a hole right through it.  Fuck.  Not repairable.  So I can't use it.  I could have had the trailer watertight by this afternoon.  As it is, there's still no roof on it, and it's now chucking down with rain. Brilliant.

Company isn't open until Monday, at which point they may want me to send the damaged one back, or they might not send a replacement until they've made a claim with the courier.  I'm unlikely to have a replacement sheet before next weekend, meaning everything I needed to do with the trailer is pushed back a week.  A week I don't really have.

Twatting couriers.

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Fuckybollocks:

Ordered a custom cut sheet of FRP from just about the only company I can find who offer it.  This is it.  it's needed to repair/replace the roof in a box trailer.  This stuff is fairly hard to come by in anything other than a whole roll, and isn't that cheap.

Turned up on Thursday, rolled up and cardboard wrapped.  Left it in my car Friday.  Got the trailer ready to have a new roof fitted today:  Double sided tape fitted where needed, roof rails cleaned up and degreased with acetone,  etc.  Undo the carboard on the FRP sheet, and......  It's damaged.  In two places.  Something has hit it and put a hole right through it.  Fuck.  Not repairable.  So I can't use it.  I could have had the trailer watertight by this afternoon.  As it is, there's still no roof on it, and it's now chucking down with rain. Brilliant.

Company isn't open until Monday, at which point they may want me to send the damaged one back, or they might not send a replacement until they've made a claim with the courier.  I'm unlikely to have a replacement sheet before next weekend, meaning everything I needed to do with the trailer is pushed back a week.  A week I don't really have.

Twatting couriers.

How big a bit do you need and how cosmetically pleasing does it need to be? Lay up your own on a piece of glass or even a bit of worktop covered in clingfilm.

The bit I bought was/is 2.55m x 1.45m.  The benefit with FRP sheet (Fibre Reinforced Plastic) is that it is smooth on both sides, has a very consistent thickness and is also a neutral colour.  It also doesn't appear to use CSM in it's construction.  I suspect very much that the fibres are sprinkled/sprayed/distributed in as the plastic is being formed in a continuous process.

Anything I try to make will be shit in comparison.  I just need the right stuff, not damaged.

I did contemplate trying to fix this sheet so I could just get on with it, but the repair will be ridiculously visible, might not be weatherproof and given that I've paid for a decent sheet.... that's what I should have.

A previous owner had put *posh branded valve caps on the mid-shite-crisis roadster. Having noticed that the tyres could do with a pump, and thinking that I'd better do this during the scarce moment of comparative dryness, I went got out the blow-upinator.

Spent the last 30 minutes out in the snow filing off the valve caps as the *high quality alloy that they are constructed from had seized completely solid onto the valves.

Thanks, China. Thanks so much.

20210207_121137.jpg

Well done filing them off, I had this with some valve caps once and stupidly I kept twisting until the valve stem tore clean off and the tyre instantly deflated. in the rain. at night. hard against a kerb.

from then on I have stuck resolutely with black plastic valve caps.

Wife's mother in hospital. She's stressed.  Nothing I do or say is right. She's just either sitting helpless and sad. Or having a proper fucking pop at me. 

I think we are self isolating because despite a negative Covid test from.her mother they suspect Covid.  Erm no it's fluid in the lungs caused by heart failure. Probably. Have you looked at the sonar scan? Not got it ? 

I mentioned tea.  I may as well have offered a threesome with next doors dog. Hostility reigns.  

I'm cold.  She's got the heating off, says she's hot, and can't breathe.  Her breathing is normal, and she's not hit a temperature.  It's stress. 

I'm about to.go down stairs and get screamed at. Probably..