The grumpy thread

outlaw118

19 hours ago, High Jetter said:

If that pump is making a racket, it must be doing 'something', and getting voltage. My experience of 20 or 30 of these over the years (not in domestic boilers) is that they either work or they seize, never had one causing noise though.

I saw one a few years back that went lazy , it turned , but no power behind it , it would stall if a bar was pushed against the spindle ...

the last bad one in our house just went clonk clonk clonk , boonng , and then the boiler over heat tripped , that cost some 40 notes some years back and a bit of fitting .

not the hardest bit to replace if the pump connector valves work ... 

Supposedly someone's coming tomorrow, hopefully he has the parts in the van! 

The oil rad is in the kids room ready for bedtime, and the lecct fan is on low in the front room (still 1000w an hour. People harped on about 2000w vacuums but your only hoovering for a few minutes at a time...) 

Had a bit of a domestic with Ma, er why don't we have fire burning given it's currently 11 degrees in here? Apparently we're going to run out of wood before the end of February and she's saving it for when it gets really* cold .

FFS, if we run out I'll go and fetch some more! 

But what if you can't buy any?

Then I'll dust off the thermostat and fire up the central heating. Doubt the north sea will run out of gas...

Just got in from a shite day's graft in the glorious NHS to find the wife has volunteered me to solve some unknown car problem for her ditzy niece in the freezing cold and dark, I'll help anyone but hate being volunteered without prior discussion. Turns out the battery was fucked but she had a replacement one , BMW 1 series Diesel, battery was huge ,weighed a fucking ton and looked like it's start a tugboat.  Now added to my pile of scrap batteries :) 

1 hour ago, jakebullet said:

Had a bit of a domestic with Ma, er why don't we have fire burning given it's currently 11 degrees in here? Apparently we're going to run out of wood before the end of February and she's saving it for when it gets really* cold .

FFS, if we run out I'll go and fetch some more! 

But what if you can't buy any?

Then I'll dust off the thermostat and fire up the central heating. Doubt the north sea will run out of gas...

Have you tried smokeless coal?

We switched to that rather than wood in our stove and found it lasts longer and costs a fraction of what burning logs/wood did, so much so that we now keep our stove going morning noon and night as its actually far cheaper than using the central heating.

I'm very cross with the people across the road. Last year they bought a collie puppy, somewhat against our advice. We have a ten year old collie who we are very fond of but we are aware they are not for everyone, they have a lot of energy and need mental stimulation especially when young.

Anyway we have found out from other people in the village that they can no longer cope and want rid. The poor little sod isn't even a year old. He isn't even badly behaved. I'd take him on myself but I have a lot on with my dog, work, home schooling (in no particular order).

I'm not really a dog person, but I believe that if you commit to get a dog you should stick by them, especially as dogs are quite neurotic by nature and suffer separation anxiety. I'm willing to bet that he no longer fits in with their lifestyle, which consists of cycling and skiing holidays, but they should have thought of that beforehand.

Misremembered the date of 3 of my points, it is under 5 years... Buggar, insurance policy I took out Monday cancelled and refund pending, should be able to pay the increase of a quote declaring 6 points after I've been paid

Such an idiot, guy on the phone must have thought I'm a right chance! Luckily I'm still insured until the end of feb

Two weeks ago I reported to the landlord that my workshop roof was leaking. Rain water was getting in due to the gutters being blocked. It had gone from the workshop roof through the flat roof of the upstairs office (now a store room) and through the ceiling of the mot office and customer waiting area. The seats and carpet have dried out now as I've rigged up a water feature using cut in half pipes as internal gutters and thick plastic loading bay curtains. It now runs off these into buckets in the workshop. Rain water is getting in at the back of the workshop and dripping on the roller brake test control box. I've used more plastic curtain to protect this. I told the landlord at the time I have expensive electrical equipment that really doesn't need to get damp. He was sending someone down and would phone me when he was on his way.........I'm still waiting. Today the exhaust gas analyzer packed up as it's damp.

All the units in my block are the same with rain water leaking in. The units opposite must be the same as my mate came in on Monday and told me his unit was flooded and he'd emailed the landlord and got no reply. The unit opposite mine are having problems with damp in their delicate electronic equipment.

Going to phone the engineer in the morning as no gas analyzer means no mots. 

Work is getting me down at the moment.

We started off last year as a team of 11.  Since then, one person has gone off on long term sick leave (as in we're not expecting to see her again).  We lost another team member in August - a lass my age who died suddenly of a pulmonary embolism leaving a husband and two young kids.  Another chap has been on unpaid leave since October, looking after his partner who is fighting cancer.  One of the girls in the team lost her mum on Monday (she's the same age as me so assume her parents are similar ages to mine) following a long illness linked to a failed kidney transplant.  Another team member is off sick with Covid, and her dad (who also has Covid) was admitted to hospital this morning with breathing difficulties.

That's the personal side.  On the work side, one guy who's in his late 50s has decided to start slowing down and has gone down to a four day week.  Obviously we're not getting any new staff in at the moment - they're not even interviewing at the moment - the "solution" the company is suggesting is to move more work to the India office, but that's less than ideal in a lot of ways.

Brexit is causing complications too - currently there are only two of us in the team who can deal with EU / EEA clients, which given that those constitute probably 45% of the accounts we have in the team is putting something of a heavy burden on the two of us - the other lad has only been there just over a year and still needs help with some stuff, so that's not ideal.  Originally it was going to be me and one other experienced member of staff, but part of the requirement of dealing with EU business is that we need to take a competency exam, which we were originally told was going to have to be taken in Brussels, and he didn't want to travel abroad, especially during a pandemic (which is fair enough).  We've now been told that the exam can be taken in the UK, but it's a bit late now.  We also don't know exactly what people can and can't do on EU accounts - we know that any client contact has to be done by either me or the other chap, but we don't know what "background" work can be done by others in the team.  We were supposed to have everything lined up in November, but the senior management committee dealing with Brexit are making Boris look decisive.  As well as the annoyance of not knowing where we stand, another consequence of that is that I have taken on new accounts but haven't had a proper handover done, as this was postponed until we knew who could do what - at the moment we are working on the basis that nobody can do anything, so I'm having to muddle through with a number of fairly high profile accounts that I know absolutely nothing about.

Still, at least I still have a job I suppose...

On 1/27/2021 at 6:17 AM, warch said:

I'm very cross with the people across the road. Last year they bought a collie puppy, somewhat against our advice. We have a ten year old collie who we are very fond of but we are aware they are not for everyone, they have a lot of energy and need mental stimulation especially when young.

Anyway we have found out from other people in the village that they can no longer cope and want rid. The poor little sod isn't even a year old. He isn't even badly behaved. I'd take him on myself but I have a lot on with my dog, work, home schooling (in no particular order).

I'm not really a dog person, but I believe that if you commit to get a dog you should stick by them, especially as dogs are quite neurotic by nature and suffer separation anxiety. I'm willing to bet that he no longer fits in with their lifestyle, which consists of cycling and skiing holidays, but they should have thought of that beforehand.

Fucking self-centred fashion-following ARSEHOLES. 😠

On 1/26/2021 at 2:14 PM, Kiltox said:

CUSTOMER??? That implies I have a fucking choice in the matter!

35325B1C-9BA0-4868-9B03-FCDA9CD6FAD3.thumb.png.2f7f926b846a0438a8e00350d918adcd.png

I had to have words spoken to me because I always used the word "taxpayer" and refused to use the word customer at any time. This was frowned upon by my senior management because HMRC is "customer concentric". Do fuck off (and yes, I no longer work for them).

On 1/27/2021 at 7:17 AM, warch said:

I would love a dog. I have a 1.5 acre, fenced in garden, hundreds of acres of woodland and hills to walk in. Although I have travelled lots over the years, my new home and Covid have lessened the appeal of holidays.

BUT I am worried that a dog and I won't get on, and I will be seen as a heartless bastard when for non selfish reasons, have to give up a dog.

If it's any reassurance, I am a heartless bastard and am not bothered about being seen as such. I much prefer the company of my dogs to people, the dogs have got used to me and haven't given up on me yet. 

You could try fostering a dog or two before committing to a permanent one.

There are a couple of rescue centres near me that foster dogs. They are mostly abandoned hunting dogs such as Galgos, which are treated horrendously by their hunter owners, and the dogs themselves are viewed with suspicion by the Spanish. If you are sensitive, do not read anything on Google about the hunters treatment of "their" dogs. Even upset me.

I will make appointments at a few of the centres, mainly to have a chat with the owners. I'd like to help out walking dogs, cleaning kennels (as I'll have to pick up my own dogs crap) etc, to be sure it will be a good thing for a dog and for me.

32 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I had to have words spoken to me because I always used the word "taxpayer" and refused to use the word customer at any time. This was frowned upon by my senior management because HMRC is "customer concentric". Do fuck off (and yes, I no longer work for them).

I would love a dog. I have a 1.5 acre, fenced in garden, hundreds of acres of woodland and hills to walk in. Although I have travelled lots over the years, my new home and Covid have lessened the appeal of holidays.

BUT I am worried that a dog and I won't get on, and I will be seen as a heartless bastard when for non selfish reasons, have to give up a dog.

That’s ridiculous. I don’t think I would be able to cope with working there if that’s how they go on!

Seeing most of those i dealt with ended up in court and then prison for not paying or for fiddling tax, even the word taxpayer wasn't applicable for them. We were also discouraged to use the word "criminals" too. It was dropped from our job titles years ago to appease our "customers". Unbelievable.

I saw the writing on the wall, so retired early, so at least I've that to thank them for.

10 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

That’s ridiculous. I don’t think I would be able to cope with working there if that’s how they go on!

I must have a thick skin. 31 years of post graduate work in manufacturing industry, and the I've been subjected to all sorts of dickheads.  Bullies, company believers, eternal optimists, negativity, despondance.  I've played bullshit bingo with senior managers and cleaners of the floor.  What I've found useful, is to try and work out what's motivating their behaviour and opinions.  

Usually unreasonable people are motivated by fear.  They are scared that they are out of their depth, and scared of being seen to be wrong.  People who aren't scared, are usually not afraid to be wrong, and are prepared to listen to other people and do a complete U Turn if needed. 

Most people are just human trying to pay the mortgage. 

2 minutes ago, New POD said:

Most people are just human trying to pay the mortgage. 

Sadly most of those I dealt with were greedy bastards, taking enormous sums money from the system that is intended for NHS, schools, and the general running of the country.

My father in law dies last October, and left everything, including his cars and motorbikes to my wife. We SORNed them immediately, as some were running out of tax anyway and wrote to the DVLA explaining the situation. After 2 months they replied with the V5s in her name. They've just hit her with four fines for owning vehicles neither taxed nor SORNed!

I've realised that as with road tax, the SORN status is also no longer transferred to the new owner, but a very insensitive way to find out!