The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

Yea it cycled a few, with the airing cupboard pump making low pressure type noises, and a the big electrovalve clicking madly. Turned the water and heating off and 'gave it 5 mins'. F25 came up. Ffs. 

Off at rhe wall, back on again and I turned just the heating on (kids had a shower, that's electric so warm) and the boiler tried to fire and climbed to 99 degrees then back down, did that twice then threw f22. 

I rebooted it again, left the heating and water turned off and it sat saying 40 degrees which is bullshit, it's cold temp is 28 in this weather. Then it threw f11 and that soft killed it, no matter what the power cycle it stills ays that. 

Got through to the emergency number, it's logged, no surprise no one answered her at 8.20pm, so it's gonna be a chilly morning! Could go for a 40 mile drive to warm up before dropping the kids off at school 900 yards from my house

If the boiler is firing up and then going up to 99degrees then the water is not circulating.

That points to the pump not working. Or lack of water in the system.

17 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Stupid question alert; is it possible/viable to self-employ at this?

Totally.  Problem being that not having a network here will mean starting from absolute zero and it won’t help with mortgage applications.  Ideally being an adviser for someone else allows me to get a salary on the board and build from there.  Ultimately yes, going it alone is the ideal future approach but I need the experience of doing this in NZ.

Its like any industry really.  Because you are a builder in the UK doesn’t mean you can come here and set up a firm without knowing the relevant codes and qualifications, authorised materials and local health and safety stuff.  It’s not mega different but there are subtleties you need to know in order to do things legally.  So I really need a couple of years with someone else to get to know the little vagaries of the system.  Otherwise I qualify, put ads on social media and a card at the local shop and hope lots of people call...

On 1/23/2021 at 10:11 PM, Minimad5 said:

What field of expertise do you currently work in / looking for ?

19 hours ago, Parky said:

Financial Adviser.  Was largely a sales guy cum consultant but don’t want that sales pressure any longer. 

Well look on the bright side, if the financial adviser / sales gig doesn't work out, at least you've got the cum consultant option to fall back on.

11 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Today is the last day of my 4 days away testing ignorant fuckwit members of the public

I'd like to just thank all those who are doing this right now. Sorry aboutyour problems and that you can't go home, but hopefully you'll have had a cooked breakfast by now and feel ready to dig the ungrateful Merc out of the snow.

Bloody Citroen electrics. My glamourous assistants C4 Picasso is buggering about.The electronic park brake won't switch off, the central locking is coming on and off and the sidelights have a mind of their own.She tried coming in to work but with the park brake on and snow everywhere I told her to go back home.

Looks like  BSI reset when I get home tonight.Failing that I'll have to crawl about underneath unhooking the brake cables.

19 hours ago, Stanky said:

Is the central heating pump running? reset the boiler, run to the location of the pump (probably airing cupboard) and see if you can hear it making any noise. Noise = good. 

If no noise, tap it gently with something like a small hammer in case its stuck. Otherwise its new pump time.

We had this a bit before Christmas. Ring the landlord/agents emergency OOH line and ask them what they're going to do about it, and how soon. 

Ours needed a new pump at ~£200 supply and fit.

EDIT - also, remove the front cowling and see if you can see a flexible 1/2" pipe coming out the bottom of the boiler - thats the condensate pipe. Put a bucket underneath and pull it off (it'll only be push fit) and see if lots of water floods out (like >a few hundred ml and <2 litres) - if so, the pipe or drain is blocked downstream.

Still no plumber, got through to the one the lettings agent told me to call and he said a few days just to diagnose... Don't think the agents are having much luck either. I bought a small heater, a mate primed it to ny house tomorrow... 

Suppose the alright thing is its not much colder outside than in... 

Sorry about yesterday’s moaning .

One of the receptionists,a lovely Polish lady that was amused by how everything stops here with a couple of cm of snow, helped me move my car. 
My daughter with Covid , seems to be doing OK, with quite mild symptoms, although how long before Mrs N or her siblings kill her, she seems pretty demanding from the messages I’m seeing, I don’t know.
I’ve been home ( not in the house) and been for a walk in the snow and sunshine with Mrs N , who has calmed down a lot and is thinking a bit more logically.

The eml is low boost pressure and inlet air leak, so probably a split in a pipe, not the end of the World.

As for my rant about the unfortunates that come for testing, I was probably exaggerating a tad, most are just a bit nervous, they think they might have Covid, after all. You’ll be pleased to hear I’m always polite, patient and empathetic, also I won’t come crying to this thread again...

Hopefully!

39 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Still no plumber, got through to the one the lettings agent told me to call and he said a few days just to diagnose... Don't think the agents are having much luck either. I bought a small heater, a mate primed it to ny house tomorrow... 

Suppose the alright thing is its not much colder outside than in... 

A polite, but stern call to remind the agents that is is JANUARY, ambient temperatures are around ZERO CELCIUS and you have no heating and 2 children, and perhaps, just perhaps they could find a local plumber who does have availability might be AN GOOD IDEA. Perhaps suggest the agent goes home tonight, turns their heating off, opens all the windows for a couple of hours and then has a bit of a think about whether this is a nice situation, or a not nice situation?

You pay them to provide a service, remember that. 

If no success than a similarly polite but stern call suggesting that if they cannot provide the services contractually agreed then you may elect to withhold rent until a satisfactory solution is found could also help grease the squeaky wheels, but keep this option up your sleeve as it loses potency the more it is used as a threat. They do shit themselves though because as far as I'm aware, most agents have a 'guaranteed rent' agreement with the landlord where they pay the landlord no matter what, if you can't/won't pay then its the agent out of pocket, not the landlord. 

I lived in rented accommodation for approx 17 years and every single estate agent I had the misfortune to deal with was a completely clueless cretin. There must be agents out there who have an IQ above single digits but based on my experience 'Estate Agency' is actually an elaborate government scheme to keep people who haven't YET proven themselves to be a danger to themselves or others contained in defined spaces between the hours of 9am and 5pm 5 days a week. There is no other explanation I can come up with as to why they need to exist, literally everything they are required to do in the job can be done to a better standard by a child, and every time they have something that they need to do for you, THE CUSTOMER, they utterly, utterly fuck it up. And there is zero comeback. 

It got to the point where I'd actually relish having to deal with their inability to think more than 2 seconds ahead in conversations - I could make them say things which were actually illegal, then point out to them that they had just broken the law and I'd be keeping the recording of the conversation for future reference was a highlight, as was telling them that they had broken their own rules about refusing to let houses to people on benefits when I'd been out of work for 3 months already, then showing them exactly where the law stated this was discrimination and illegal. 

As you can tell, their predictable, poorly thought through charade of inadequate service in a role that literally anyone can do boils my piss. 

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Handbrake cables not frozen up are they? Had that cause issues in a manual handbrake car, can only imagine the warning lights it would throw up on an auto handbrake, 

probably, just got home and the parking brake is working (silly mare drove about a mile with it stuck on this morning). The central locking is still buggering about but again that might have one frozen lock. We had 4 inches of snow yesterday and when I went to work this morning even the main roads weren't gritted.

21 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Yea it cycled a few, with the airing cupboard pump making low pressure type noises, and a the big electrovalve clicking madly. Turned the water and heating off and 'gave it 5 mins'. F25 came up. Ffs. 

Off at rhe wall, back on again and I turned just the heating on (kids had a shower, that's electric so warm) and the boiler tried to fire and climbed to 99 degrees then back down, did that twice then threw f22. 

I rebooted it again, left the heating and water turned off and it sat saying 40 degrees which is bullshit, it's cold temp is 28 in this weather. Then it threw f11 and that soft killed it, no matter what the power cycle it stills ays that. 

Got through to the emergency number, it's logged, no surprise no one answered her at 8.20pm, so it's gonna be a chilly morning! Could go for a 40 mile drive to warm up before dropping the kids off at school 900 yards from my house

Check the condensate output pipe outside to the drain is not frozen. What pipe is it (eg, 15mm copper, or 25 mm plastic?)  When mine was a 15mm copper, it froze regularly, stopping the condensate going out, and coming up with a fault code. Changed it to a larger diameter 25mm plastic, no more problems, as water could flow even if a bit frozen.  Also, make sure its path out flows down all the way.

On 1/24/2021 at 2:57 AM, Wack said:

When did crap like this become acceptable 

Yoof opens a police car door like he's getting into a taxi then starts abusing the copper because he has a camera

He needs to see the inside of a police cell , though with an attitude like that I doubt it'll be long 

What a cunt 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSwsAP6q/

I recently got offered to watch a vid on YT. The tile of which was something like arrest for nothing. Look at the posting history of said winker it is obvious that he attracts himself to the boys in blue. I cannot be bothered to watch all of that video let alone any more to ascertain why he is such a lump of anti law. Yes he is way over weight.

57 minutes ago, bobdisk said:

Check the condensate output pipe outside to the drain is not frozen. What pipe is it (eg, 15mm copper, or 25 mm plastic?)  When mine was a 15mm copper, it froze regularly, stopping the condensate going out, and coming up with a fault code. Changed it to a larger diameter 25mm plastic, no more problems, as water could flow even if a bit frozen.  Also, make sure its path out flows down all the way.

25mm plastic. Yep, did so much water over it last night it went soft briefly. Still no dice, somethings wrong with the pump I think the boiler knows. 

No plumber today and no one is answering the out of hours number. Oh well, will keep ringing it throughout the evening

Is it a pump like this? image.jpeg.e6c0b54d5f53f3adfc178d7dd41971b4.jpeg

With the boiler off, undo the big screw - a little water may come out so have a towel handy. Inside is the end of the spindle - try turning this with a small flat-bladed screwdriver. If it's seized, the pump is fucked. If it sticks, but then turns, you may have fixed it. If it turns, the problem is probably elsewhere, as long as you have 240v to it.

19 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Is it a pump like this? image.jpeg.e6c0b54d5f53f3adfc178d7dd41971b4.jpeg

With the boiler off, undo the big screw - a little water may come out so have a towel handy. Inside is the end of the spindle - try turning this with a small flat-bladed screwdriver. If it's seized, the pump is fucked. If it sticks, but then turns, you may have fixed it. If it turns, the problem is probably elsewhere, as long as you have 240v to it.

Yea thats what makes the racket, either through low pressure or being fucked, it's that which is coming up on the boiler, the error code for the pcb in there. 

Might give it a go though, I rent but they must be having trouble (my dad was a lettings agent for years, I've seen the other side) finding someone as the lady called me back and said feel free to Google ideas, so that can be the first one. Not gonna go looking for voltage or anything though, that's a step too far. 

This is also all identical to the issues my mum and stepdad had when the heating pump went at theirs, the fact that you mentioned it as well is a bit sus

2 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

If that pump is making a racket, it must be doing 'something', and getting voltage. My experience of 20 or 30 of these over the years (not in domestic boilers) is that they either work or they seize, never had one causing noise though.

Yes it deffo makes a racket until something senses in the boiler and it stops and throws an error. (i don't think it's the boiler at all tbh) 

I did open the tap under the boiler but heard no water rush in. Half the issue now is the boilers slow to respond to the heating and water controls so I don't want to fuck with it too much as I don't know how to reset it (short of the big switch on the wall or reset button, but that doesn't clear the errors I don't think) 

25 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Ah, hold on - is it actually the pump making the noise, or the water in the heat-exchanger boiling and 'kettling'? If the latter, either the pump isn't pumping or the H/E is as blocked as an old car rad.

Could be either, the whole water tank was new the month before we moved in, but that was 8 years ago, and only the tank itself looks new. 

My friend locally saved me though and dropped this round just now

20210125_195628.thumb.jpg.5418a2f9f807506ae4f96381b475a1ab.jpg

From his shed but it's warm! 

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

Oh, and re reading it, the boiler (downstairs) makes no noise, even when it was omghgf'ing to 100 degrees and back down twice before throwing the eml on

Upstairs is the noisy bits, hang on and I'll take a pic

Is there a pressure gauge anywhere on the system?

5 hours ago, Stanky said:

You pay them to provide a service, remember that. 

With the greatest of great respects, he pays rent. Regular payment to live in the landlord’s property. He’s not paying for the service, the landlord is. 

I sympathise first hand - having had an 18 month old boiler fail on Dec 21st and not being able to get a plumber either. Weirdly, they’re busier than Santa in winter. I couldn’t call the agent and insult them, because I’m the owner occupier. Instead, I had to wait my turn politely until they could come and change my coil. When they did, I paid the not insignificant bill out of my own pocket and thanked them. 

Then, 5 days later, my tenant called to say the boiler in his house was leaking. I went over within the hour, tried to fix it, bought him two oil filled radiators and got him back on (fortunately) the next day. I got that bill too.

I suppose my point is... sometimes - things just go to shit. There’s no malice or intent, it’s just - you know - shit. 

And, as a former estate agent, son of an estate agent and landlord - I fully expect to be considered the anti-Christ on here!

54 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

With the greatest of great respects, he pays rent. Regular payment to live in the landlord’s property. He’s not paying for the service, the landlord is. 

I sympathise first hand - having had an 18 month old boiler fail on Dec 21st and not being able to get a plumber either. Weirdly, they’re busier than Santa in winter. I couldn’t call the agent and insult them, because I’m the owner occupier. Instead, I had to wait my turn politely until they could come and change my coil. When they did, I paid the not insignificant bill out of my own pocket and thanked them. 

Then, 5 days later, my tenant called to say the boiler in his house was leaking. I went over within the hour, tried to fix it, bought him two oil filled radiators and got him back on (fortunately) the next day. I got that bill too.

I suppose my point is... sometimes - things just go to shit. There’s no malice or intent, it’s just - you know - shit. 

And, as a former estate agent, son of an estate agent and landlord - I fully expect to be considered the anti-Christ on here!

100% this! I remember as a lad Dad with 3 phones on the go with a house flooding with water and unable to reach anyone... We went ourselves a few times and my dad barely knows one end of a screwdriver from the other! When my step grandad was still working I'd go out with him for pocket money and we'd be driving to one job then one phone call later (no hands free back then) we'd be flooring it around a roundabout to somewhere else because there's a gas leak. 

Its a pain with the kids and no hot water and unable to do any washing cos it won't dry but that little radiator is taking the edge off. 

I also don't want to go fucking about too much as it's not mine... I've been told to poke about so can excuse what I've done so far but he needs to turn up and see it all broken, if I make one thing work temporarily he'll ignore that and it'll go again whenever. 

There's no pressure valve either. The service menu of the boiler tells you but I can't fathom it out

32 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

100% this! I remember as a lad Dad with 3 phones on the go with a house flooding with water and unable to reach anyone... We went ourselves a few times and my dad barely knows one end of a screwdriver from the other! When my step grandad was still working I'd go out with him for pocket money and we'd be driving to one job then one phone call later (no hands free back then) we'd be flooring it around a roundabout to somewhere else because there's a gas leak. 

Its a pain with the kids and no hot water and unable to do any washing cos it won't dry but that little radiator is taking the edge off. 

I also don't want to go fucking about too much as it's not mine... I've been told to poke about so can excuse what I've done so far but he needs to turn up and see it all broken, if I make one thing work temporarily he'll ignore that and it'll go again whenever. 

There's no pressure valve either. The service menu of the boiler tells you but I can't fathom it out

Beko, you're a competent person. You can strip a vacuum cleaner with your eyes closed!

The manual for your boiler is here: https://www.plumbase.co.uk/documents/product/3549495

Read it and work through the trouble shooting section.

Then come back with any questions.

It’s been my stepdaughter’s 20th birthday today.

I had a migraine last night and slept until 2pm. I had dinner and I’ve had heartburn since.

@beko1987 check your letting agreement; my one has a clause that failed heating, hot water etc are considered an essential and are priority jobs. Our immersion has packed up twice and the plumber was out within 48h to fix. This may vary between agents

While in the uk I got a parking ticket from Thurrock Council on 6th October.  Paid it and have an email receipt.

Today my Mum received a redirected letter dated 23rd December (!!!) confirming my parking ticket from 6th October was still unpaid and I had 28 days to pay £105 before Bailliffs were appointed.  Oddly the new ticket has a different reference number but I didn’t get two tickets on the same day.  Obviously a duplicate somewhere but I now have to call Thurrock from here on a mobile to explain something simple to a cretin.  

Yes, you should always assume people are lovely and helpful but 15 years of dealing with Thurrock taught me to just assume the worst to avoid disappointment.

I suppose there is always the possibility they’ll get @outlaw118to hunt me down.  If you need my address Bob, let me know.  I reckon we could probably spend a couple of weeks in the sunshine sorting this out at taxpayers expense!