The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 11/29/2020 at 8:15 PM, face said:

Innocently and completely fucked up car insurance for me for life.

Hit a deer with my Golf. Going through insurance as fair bit of damage.

Decided to buy a second car a couple of days later.

Went on GoCompare, found a decent quote and took it. I entered a claim from a couple of years back, went to enter this very recent one and it wouldn’t let me proceed without a monetary amount. The Golf hadn’t been collected at this point, let alone examined and quoted for the work. So I left it off as I assumed as it had t been paid out, it wasn’t completed. That’s wrong I now know.

New car insurance company run the CUE check, see I’ve had this recent claim and subsequently cancelled my policy, giving a weeks notice.

That’s me royally fucked for life. I’m going through the complaints procedure as it was an innocent oversight. But I doubt I will get it overturned. I’ve never not paid anything I should be paying or even considered fraud.

If I was pissed and ran somebody over, that would eventually drop off my record. But not this.

Im stupid and that life-long red mark is cuntish at best.

I sent a formal complaint about the above and received a reply.

As it happens, because the policy was cancelled within the cooling-off period, it was not registered as cancelled on the national database. So I don't need to disclose it for future quotes.

Why they didn't tell me that when I rang them on the day it was cancelled, I don't know. Been stressed to fuck about it.

Anyway, good news for me today :-)

30 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Hope you're on the mend.

Ambulance crew insisted they took me to hospital. Doctor quickly ruled out cardiac. 

I'm fine, just Costochondritis apparently. Anxiety related. I feel bad about it, but everyone goes into panic mode when you mention chest pains. 

I probably shouldn't be walking 2 miles home from the hospital, but I refuse to get on a bus. 

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

Ambulance crew insisted they took me to hospital. Doctor quickly ruled out cardiac. 

I'm fine, just Costochondritis apparently. Anxiety related. I feel bad about it, but everyone goes into panic mode when you mention chest pains. 

I probably shouldn't be walking 2 miles home from the hospital, but I refuse to get on a bus. 

Glad it's not too serious.  Walking two miles might be a good thing actually, bit of fresh air, birds singing, being out in nature etc. might lower your stress.

4 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

111 insisting on sending an ambulance because I phoned up about chest pain. Feels ridiculous, but I've been up most of the night with it. 

My wife phoned 111 when I had neck pains that were becoming chest pains.  

15 mins later I was on a cardiac monitor, had some tablet under my tongue, and 20 mins after that I was on my way to hospital. The monitors did not show a heart attack but blood tests showed my enzymes were 10 times what they shoukd have been and an X ray and then an ultrasound showed moderate damage.  2 days later I was having a stent fitted through a tube in my wrist, which went all the way to my heart. 

I keep saying it.  NEVER ignore chest pains.  Even if it turns out to be trapped wind. 

They were pretty sure that I'd probably had 2 small ones in the previous 2 weeks. 

Sorry to hear of your woes, @TheDoctor

Keep an eye on eBay if you're selling things. Twice recently they've decided to add a 'submit best  offer' thing to my listings without my consent. You have to log on and change what they've done to stop the bastards. God knows what happens if someone accepts the lower offer eBay decided to put without asking you.

2 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Glad it's not too serious.  Walking two miles might be a good thing actually, bit of freezing 100mph fresh air, birds singing, being out in the pouring rain etc. might lower your stress.

EFA, we are in England here and it's January!

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Keep an eye on eBay if you're selling things. Twice recently they've decided to add a 'submit best  offer' thing to my listings without my consent. You have to log on and change what they've done to stop the bastards. God knows what happens if someone accepts the lower offer eBay decided to put without asking you.

I switched from selling on Facebook marketplace and Gumtree to eBay during the first lockdown (I mainly sell laptops amongst other techie stuff), and while it's been a mixed bag (you still get the same morons incapable of reading item descriptions as you do elsewhere), this and other irritating quirks have made it frustrating at times.

One particular favourite of mine is if you save a draft listing then go back into it later, it has a habit of changing the price you set to what IT thinks your buy it now/start price should be. On several occasions I've listed things for sale at significantly less than I intended to, in one case the item actually sold, though fortunately there was only something like £20 difference, I'd have probably accepted that on best offer anyway!

Speaking of best offer... I find most people who send a best offer that you then accept do not pay, even if you accept the second the notification comes through. I can probably raise an unpaid item case in my sleep at this point. I'd say I have to do this 8/10 times on a best offer.

10 hours ago, New POD said:

15 mins later I was on a cardiac monitor, had some tablet under my tongue, and 20 mins after that I was on my way to hospital. The monitors did not show a heart attack but blood tests showed my enzymes were 10 times what they shoukd have been and an X ray and then an ultrasound showed moderate damage.  2 days later I was having a stent fitted through a tube in my wrist, which went all the way to my heart. 

I keep saying it.  NEVER ignore chest pains.  Even if it turns out to be trapped wind. 

They were pretty sure that I'd probably had 2 small ones in the previous 2 weeks. 

Again, thank fuck for the NHS. Even if they keep you awake. All night. :)

7 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Again, thank fuck for the NHS. Even if they keep you awake. All night. :)

No. It wasn't the NHS that kept me awake. It was some old bloke with dementia in a side room. 

I'm very much in the 'not an expert' category, and there are plenty of things I might miss when giving a car the once over that wouldn't fail an MoT.

I would much rather have an advisory that I can fix before the next test than not know and fail the next test.

On a car purchase, the only time I have concerns is when the same advisory is on the certificate year after year - shows careless ownership in my view and such cars get passed over. An advisory that's gone the following test is fine by me.

On 19/01/2021 at 11:31, New POD said:

A neighbour opposite always used to sit in the window watching TV.  A big, very healthy looking bloke.

The kids used to call him "The Dead Man" as he never moved.

He complained about indigestion one day.

He was sat in his chair as usual - but this time he really was the dead man - heart attack.