The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Cheers chap, there is a ToolStation just down the road from my folks with 9 of those in stock.

Just phoned my Dad again. He said their fire in the living room has a convection fan and he's currently really warm. He also said he has an oil filled radiator in the loft so I've asked him to get that down now and put it in their bedroom. If it's not warm enough then I've told him about the ones at ToolStation.

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I knew you were from Aberdeen, but fuck off!

I was at Turra Academy from 99-05.

Small world!  Which house were you in then?  Delgaty 1 here.

Which meant we had registration in room D-bloody-5.  How many times I nearly killed myself trying to leg it up the stairs there when our bus got in late to avoid being scolded by Mrs Robertson for being tardy I don't know.

Still kick myself for not staying on for sixth year, daftest decision I ever made.  Was trying to the the heck away from some particular individuals who were making my life a living hell - but of course they all left at the same time didn't they, so I'd not have had to put up with them if I'd gone back for the last year.

Instead I walked straight into them at college instead.

I do regret I've not been able to stay in touch with anyone really...I've precisely zero interest in ever seeing trace of any of my peers again, but I'd liked to have been able to keep in touch with quite a few of my teachers. 

My first day I still remember being quite a revelation...Not least because I arrived there having just left a school with 16 pupils...as the sole one in P7, so was the only one from my school to have moved up to TA...So there was absolutely *nobody* there I knew.  The term "thrown in at the deep end" definitely fit.  Also nearly got myself stranded at the end of the day when we went to get back on the buses.  It never occurred to me that there would be more than one school bus, did it!  Thankfully for me I recognised the actual vehicle in question - and it was the same one I'd arrived on.  Cue making a mental note to not make that mistake twice.

On 11/01/2021 at 20:32, Wack said:

I wouldn't want to be on the bottom of the London property ladder in 2021 

Screenshot_20210111-201427_Gallery.thumb.jpg.33f02f863c1e480abb90bb21c1e52cb1.jpg

While this is certainly true, my kids have all bought their own houses - all five of them.  The youngest twice as although she paid for her first house, her then boyfriend weaseled it out of her and she had to start from scratch.

Eldest lad is on his third now - in London, neighbours with JK, Jack White, Jeff Beck and others.

Looking to sell and buy the other half of his girlfriends house in south London.

They are not, any of them, on mega salaries.

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Small world!  Which house were you in then?  Delgaty 1 here.

Which meant we had registration in room D-bloody-5.  How many times I nearly killed myself trying to leg it up the stairs there when our bus got in late to avoid being scolded by Mrs Robertson for being tardy I don't know.

Still kick myself for not staying on for sixth year, daftest decision I ever made.  Was trying to the the heck away from some particular individuals who were making my life a living hell - but of course they all left at the same time didn't they, so I'd not have had to put up with them if I'd gone back for the last year.

Instead I walked straight into them at college instead.

I do regret I've not been able to stay in touch with anyone really...I've precisely zero interest in ever seeing trace of any of my peers again, but I'd liked to have been able to keep in touch with quite a few of my teachers. 

My first day I still remember being quite a revelation...Not least because I arrived there having just left a school with 16 pupils...as the sole one in P7, so was the only one from my school to have moved up to TA...So there was absolutely *nobody* there I knew.  The term "thrown in at the deep end" definitely fit.  Also nearly got myself stranded at the end of the day when we went to get back on the buses.  It never occurred to me that there would be more than one school bus, did it!  Thankfully for me I recognised the actual vehicle in question - and it was the same one I'd arrived on.  Cue making a mental note to not make that mistake twice.

Forglen 2, here.

I hated every cunt there, too. Don't keep in touch with any of them. Don't blame you. I seem to lead a fairly transient existence when it comes to friend groups. Not really kept in touch with anybody from old jobs (bar one person) and nobody even from university.

I was similar at School. A couple of folk there that were ok, but the majority were just cunts.

I left as soon as i could, went to college. A year doing mechanics.... again, cunts. (and i feel i'm the problem at that stage). The truth is, the folk at my school were just cunts and the course i was doing was just filled with the same sort of cunts from other schools in the city that no doubt other folk left to avoid too, so it was just like walking from one shithole to another.

After a year, i went and did computer animation and it totally changed my outlook on the social side. Made several friends, both students and lecturers, all still in contact to this day. Have been on other courses, various workplaces and found i get on great with the vast majority of people at them too, the only people i don't get on with are the cunts, everywhere has them, some just have them to a larger extent than others.

Oh look...our change of broadband provider has turned into a complete and utter shitshow.  Colour me unsurprised.

Looks like we're going to be for all intents and purposes, without broadband for the best part of a month as a result.  While everyone is working from home. 

What fun.

Edit: Now just ticking up to 4 hours on the phone to them over the last two days.

On 1/14/2021 at 5:54 AM, Mrcento said:

I was similar at School. A couple of folk there that were ok, but the majority were just cunts.

I left as soon as i could, went to college. A year doing mechanics.... again, cunts. (and i feel i'm the problem at that stage). The truth is, the folk at my school were just cunts and the course i was doing was just filled with the same sort of cunts from other schools in the city that no doubt other folk left to avoid too, so it was just like walking from one shithole to another.

After a year, i went and did computer animation and it totally changed my outlook on the social side. Made several friends, both students and lecturers, all still in contact to this day. Have been on other courses, various workplaces and found i get on great with the vast majority of people at them too, the only people i don't get on with are the cunts, everywhere has them, some just have them to a larger extent than others.

You've just about described my school life too!    I am in touch with only one person I knew back then ( late 60s/early 70s) and that's because she's my kid sister.  I'm in touch with almost nobody from previous jobs too.

You read about people having lifelong friends, and childhood sweethearts, and good luck to them, but I completely fail to understand how they do that.  People who were really good friends years ago have just fallen away.  It probably doesn't help that I emigrated in 2009 and when we returned, came to a town a hundred miles from where we used to live.

It has crossed my mind that maybe I should be making more effort to stay in touch, and with a couple of them I do, but of the rest, several know where I am and none are putting in any effort.

In other news, the wall under the dining room window is clearly damp.  MrsR tells me now that when we had the new carpets fitted, the fitter spotted that the floor was wet.  Oh great, now she tells me!  This is going to require a good builder, significant disruption and a vast amount of money that I don't have.  Fucking marvellous.  As if the combination of SAD, lockdown and depression wasn't enough!

I'm probably going to ignore it for as long as possible.

22 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Looks like we're going to be for all intents and purposes, without broadband for the best part of a month as a result.  While everyone is working from home. 

What fun.

As an emergency alternative, if you need to stay online:  Smarty mobile.  Runs on the 3 network.  £20/month for completely and utterly unlimited data on 3G and 4G.  No limit on data tethering either.  No contract.  Shove one of their SIMs in an old phone and set it to mobile hotspot and you have instant mobile broadband at home.

and it really is unlimited too.  I've pulled down over 700GB in a month, no restrictions and no throttling.

...plus unlimited free texts and calls.  But that's nothing new these days.

I still have an introductory additional SIM that they sent me, which gives both the recipient and me a free month.  If anyone wants it.

On 13/01/2021 at 20:13, Split_Pin said:

The heating in my parents house has packed up entirely but an engineer cannot come until Monday to fix it.

So until then, my parents, both over 70, have to sit in a freezing cold house with only a blow heater. I have ample room to accommodate them but because of restrictions on travel and going into others houses, they cannot visit and just have to continue to freeze.

Frustrated and worried.

I think that travel is perfectly legal due to emergency the situation. 

Invest 50 quid in 5 electric heaters from Argos or screw fix, click and collect. Maybe. 

42 minutes ago, Talbot said:

As an emergency alternative, if you need to stay online:  Smarty mobile.  Runs on the 3 network.  £20/month for completely and utterly unlimited data on 3G and 4G.  No limit on data tethering either.  No contract.  Shove one of their SIMs in an old phone and set it to mobile hotspot and you have instant mobile broadband at home.

and it really is unlimited too.  I've pulled down over 700GB in a month, no restrictions and no throttling.

...plus unlimited free texts and calls.  But that's nothing new these days.

I still have an introductory additional SIM that they sent me, which gives both the recipient and me a free month.  If anyone wants it.

Sadly coverage on 3 here is rubbish.  One of our friends is on 3 and has to sign onto our WiFi to do anything beyond checking his email.

Vodafone have sent us a mobile router...but the 2Mb/s it's managing isn't going to cut it!

58 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I've been managing on around 2MB/s for years now.  The joys of living in the sticks.

2MB/s or 2Mb/s ?

as 2MB/s is roughly 20Mb/s

so about 10x more then what poor Zel is getting!

(MB/s is Megabytes a second and Mb/s is megabits a second for those wondering and there are 8 bits to a byte)

On 14/01/2021 at 15:48, Zelandeth said:

Oh look...our change of broadband provider has turned into a complete and utter shitshow.  Colour me unsurprised.

What fun.

if you dont mind me what asking, whats gone tits up do you know? (just wondering whats gone so badly wrong that you might be without broadband for a month!)

and who where you with/are going to? we used to be on BT but moved to Virgin around 2014 or so? as BTs fibre optic option was not available in my area at the time, its been pretty smooth sailing for the most part, although the Virgin Superhub 3 Router/cable modem is a POS with a buggy intel chipset who's CPU has a unpatchable hardware bug LOL

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I've been managing on around 2MB/s for years now.  The joys of living in the sticks.

Doesn't seem that long ago when 56K was the best you could get - and if you were getting a true download speed of over 35K you were doing well.

If it was just me I'd manage.  However there are *three* people here on near constant video conferences at the moment who are reliant on this connection.  That's the issue.  If we can't make this work, commuting to London is the alternative for one of them.

Our current connection sits at very slightly over 30Mb, and it's *barely* coping with the load.  Hence the decision to upgrade to the 900Mb one when it became available

And yes, that is megabit, not byte.

32 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

2MB/s or 2Mb/s ?

as 2MB/s is roughly 20Mb/s

so about 10x more then what poor Zel is getting!

(MB/s is Megabytes a second and Mb/s is megabits a second for those wondering and there are 8 bits to a byte)

if you dont mind me what asking, whats gone tits up do you know? (just wondering whats gone so badly wrong that you might be without broadband for a month!)

and who where you with/are going to? we used to be on BT but moved to Virgin around 2014 or so? as BTs fibre optic option was not available in my area at the time, its been pretty smooth sailing for the most part, although the Virgin Superhub 3 Router/cable modem is a POS with a buggy intel chipset who's CPU has a unpatchable hardware bug LOL

Basically we were scheduled in for an installation date that didn't exist.  So CityFibre (who own the infrastructure) cancelled the works order.  However Vodafone (who are the service provider) didn't bother to make any actual effort to alert me to this fact.  Once we got that sorted out the ball was set rolling again - but the installation date was pushed back from January 19th to March 2nd.  This was after we'd already set the cancellation date with our current provider (who aren't willing to budge on that date now).  So our existing service will cease on January 20th, and that's it until March.

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Anyone else keep getting a "Pardon our interruption..." message when browsing eBay?  I've been getting it since last night.

Yes. Seemed to be triggering when i try to search for items within a certain distance last night.

Seems a bit better today but triggered it a couple of times narrowing searches down again.

18 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

It would be really nice if like... anyone, it feels like...was taking the whole being in lockdown thing seriously.

There's more traffic out there (both vehicular and pedestrian) today right now than I'd expect at this time of day on a normal day.

Same round here. I just nipped across to the shop for a couple of things and Great Northern Road was a solid line of traffic. I haven't seen it so bad in quite some time.

Ma's just been doing my bonce in by being a diabetic mad woman. It's obvious she's having a hypo, and the obvious solution is glucose.

It's like trying to persuade a small child who doesn't like veg that pureed carrots are the best thing ever. With a side order of I'm not drunk m8. No Ma, holding a bottle of glucose doesn't work, drink it. "I'll be alright in a minute" x 11 billion.  No, you won't. Sugar is that low all the meter can come up with is "Lo". She then becomes obsessed that the meter is broken, and must find one that isn't. Stop fucking about and drink the glucose, 4 meters say you're fucked, you don't need to find batteries for an old one out of the cupboard for a fifth confirmation. "Why is it so hot in here?" It isn't. it's you. FFS drink!!!!!

Now being mardy 'cos I was nasty* to her and she would have been right in a minute.

Being a greedy grump today. Bob the builder burning chipboard in a smokeless zone with obvious smoky results. Ma expecting me to email the council's illegal fire department, who will come and stop BTB instantly. Doesn't work like that Ma. But if you want to start an official feud and blight your property value etc go right ahead.

IMG_20210116_154932.thumb.jpg.0430d90fc4f8e4dc30ebac1f253f0961.jpg

7 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

My mate and former neighbour booked into a hospice a couple of days ago. Message to say that he passed away at midnight. So sad but he is ok now, no pain, no struggling to breathe. 

So sorry to read this, Ken. 

3 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Same round here. I just nipped across to the shop for a couple of things and Great Northern Road was a solid line of traffic. I haven't seen it so bad in quite some time.

Same here, I went out  for the first time in a week today for a quick bike ride and it was as busy as ever. Its dissapointing as I've followed the rules for 9 plus months  and  people still dont seem to get the message.  

2 hours ago, purplebargeken said:

My mate and former neighbour booked into a hospice a couple of days ago. Message to say that he passed away at midnight. So sad but he is ok now, no pain, no struggling to breathe. 

Ouch, sorry to hear, my condolences.

On 16/01/2021 at 15:24, Zelandeth said:

Yeah... washing your car is an essential journey.

IMG_20210116_152204.thumb.jpg.46f2f91aba698d731d59209ef054d5d6.jpg

Similar queue for the vacuum cleaner.  Kebab van round the corner is doing a roaring trade, were at least 15 people queued for it.

Car was places have all been closed for ages round here.

Shops pretty quiet.  Friday, went to Home Bargains (for SBC LED bulbs - didn't have any) all very orderly and hardly any cars in the huge carpark for HB, M&S, Next, Pets at Home, Aldi, Matalan and a couple of others.

As usual with Home Bargains, I go in for two things, they only have one but come out with twenty things I didn't go for.