The grumpy thread

outlaw118

House sellers who answer every question you ask them except the one about vehicular access to the property and then go silent   😒

21 hours ago, Wack said:

I wouldn't want to be on the bottom of the London property ladder in 2021 

Having recently left I'll say yes.. in fact  you can prery much discount being able to afford anything if you are a mere mortal without a heathy five figure income and a pile of cash for a deposit.  Because "lhaaaandahhhaaaaan"

23 minutes ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

Having recently left I'll say yes.. in fact  you can prery much discount being able to afford anything if you are a mere mortal without a heathy five figure income and a pile of cash for a deposit.  Because "lhaaaandahhhaaaaan"

I've posted this before, I found a Surrey  builders catalogue from 1958 , 

The most expensive house on the list is £5350 which according to the inflation calculator is £127,500 in 2020

Those houses would be 800k+ today 

Screenshot_20201015-193246_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201015-193313_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201015-193329_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201015-193422_Gallery.jpg

7 minutes ago, Wack said:

I've posted this before, I found a Surrey  builders catalogue from 1958 , 

The most expensive house on the list is £5350 which according to the inflation calculator is £127,500 in 2020

Those houses would be 800k+ today 

Screenshot_20201015-193246_Gallery.jpg

Dream on , a detached, 3 bed with garage in Surrey (and no doubt a real garden worth having not "an postage stamp") , that's  getting on for a million quid if not more.

I lived in a less fashionable, east end (just!) suburb and an average 3 bed  end of terrace is  £450 -550k, af the posher end  of town near the forest a semi detached  was 650 -800k beyond the compreshension of my tiny vallies mind to me. Rent in London is also insane

1 hour ago, omegod said:

I didn't think I could be more pissed off with the government but seeing the farcical food parcels sent out to kids while their Tory chums are skimming off the top I actually felt like crying. Twats 

I'd like to know by what measurement that's £20 of food. An outrage.

29 minutes ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

Dream on , a detached, 3 bed with garage in Surrey (and no doubt a real garden worth having not "an postage stamp") , that's  getting on for a million quid if not more.

I lived in a less fashionable, east end (just!) suburb and an average 3 bed  end of terrace is  £450 -550k, af the posher end  of town near the forest a semi detached  was 650 -800k beyond the compreshension of my tiny vallies mind to me. Rent in London is also insane

My first real exposure to London house prices was 2014 , I had a job as a medical courier 

Went to a house in Ealing , 3 bed detached , while waiting for him to come to the door I was looking at the cars in the street , not one under 50k 

He opened the door and the smell of the 50s hit me , a guy in his 90s who'd obviously lived there for decades 

When I got home I had a look on rightmove,  the semi next door had sold for 1.1m 2012 

Went to a flat and a woman in her mid 80s had a baby grand piano in the front room, they must've taken a window out , she used to be a concert pianist , that's a posh neighbourhood when you're banging on the floor to get the concert pianist to stop playing Bach 

47 minutes ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

I live in a detached 3 bed house in Surrey.  No garage, admittedly, but it's worth well under half a million.

I know it's still not exactly affordable for most people, but it ain't a million quid!

slightly* pissed off at UPS

I have a large box of fluorescent tubes im drop shipping for a friend in the US, that I finally got packaged up today so my friend paypals me the money to ship them over

so I go to UPS, go through all the details fill everything out yada yada, go to pay with paypal login it does its thing and goes back to the UPS site where upon UPS's website spits this at me 

image.thumb.png.9c26f5cf6df43451df7157031ad083bd.png

but that the paypal thing had gone through, so I now have a pending paypal transaction of £161 which although only pending has been deducted from my paypal balance still 

image.png.de390804c28c8d958def9dd19ed93e8b.png

with no cancel button in paypal for this transaction

im now im down £161 in paypal, and UPS customer support was useless the lady just kept asking for a tracking number (which I obviously did not have) and in the end just told me to contact paypal

but pay-pal says for this sort of transaction to cancel it I have to contact the recipient of the payment, (and It wont even let me open a dispute either)

now I dont think iv lost the £161, from googling the error code UPS: 81291 im not the only one this has happened to with UPS and that eventually paypal will just cancel the Authorisation after 30 days of it just pending

but unless I can somehow proactively cancel the pending transaction thats 30 days im going to be down £161 basically, and as such I cant try again as i dont have the money in my paypal to pay for it

so im not sure what to do now (but I have now made a user account with UPS so if this happens next time I try I will hopefully have a bit more of a record of it)

2 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

I'd like to know by what measurement that's £20 of food. An outrage.

They've been at it for years we just normally don't see what is served to the kids, say what you want about Jamie Oliver but he got turkey twizzlers banned amd a set of nutritional criteria brought in for schools.

(As a side note those criteria don't apply to academies whose heads apparently are able to decide what is best for the kids whereas a head in a maintained school apparently does not.)

In Staffordshire we had one of the best council run school meals services in the Country, @chaseracerand I led the campaign to try and keep it in house sadly unsuccessfully as parents and the public sat silently by.  It was then outsourced to Capita who set themselves up as the experts only to further outsource it to Chartwells (the shower behind these food parcels) as they were the experts.

If you can't tell - yes I'm still bitter (8 years on)

51 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

They've been at it for years we just normally don't see what is served to the kids, say what you want about Jamie Oliver but he got turkey twizzlers banned amd a set of nutritional criteria brought in for schools.

(As a side note those criteria don't apply to academies whose heads apparently are able to decide what is best for the kids whereas a head in a maintained school apparently does not.)

In Staffordshire we had one of the best council run school meals services in the Country, @chaseracerand I led the campaign to try and keep it in house sadly unsuccessfully as parents and the public sat silently by.  It was then outsourced to Capita who set themselves up as the experts only to further outsource it to Chartwells (the shower behind these food parcels) as they were the experts.

I bet somebody important got rich 

1 hour ago, chaseracer said:

As am I, Steve... 

...though making the deputy* leader shake with anger (because he knew he'd been caught in a deliberate lie) was something of a high point.

Yes, the look on his face when I put a commissioned report into his hands which discredited their proposals and told him we'd be holding  a press conference in an hour was priceless..

Still waiting to see any of the billions in dividends they promised or the £40m academy they promised to fund...

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

slightly* pissed off at UPS

I have a large box of fluorescent tubes im drop shipping for a friend in the US, that I finally got packaged up today so my friend paypals me the money to ship them over

so I go to UPS, go through all the details fill everything out yada yada, go to pay with paypal login it does its thing and goes back to the UPS site where upon UPS's website spits this at me 

image.thumb.png.9c26f5cf6df43451df7157031ad083bd.png

but that the paypal thing had gone through, so I now have a pending paypal transaction of £161 which although only pending has been deducted from my paypal balance still 

image.png.de390804c28c8d958def9dd19ed93e8b.png

with no cancel button in paypal for this transaction

im now im down £161 in paypal, and UPS customer support was useless the lady just kept asking for a tracking number (which I obviously did not have) and in the end just told me to contact paypal

but pay-pal says for this sort of transaction to cancel it I have to contact the recipient of the payment, (and It wont even let me open a dispute either)

now I dont think iv lost the £161, from googling the error code UPS: 81291 im not the only one this has happened to with UPS and that eventually paypal will just cancel the Authorisation after 30 days of it just pending

but unless I can somehow proactively cancel the pending transaction thats 30 days im going to be down £161 basically, and as such I cant try again as i dont have the money in my paypal to pay for it

so im not sure what to do now (but I have now made a user account with UPS so if this happens next time I try I will hopefully have a bit more of a record of it)

This happened to me recently, the payment is only "pending" and should be cancelled after a few days when no parcel is forthcoming under that order. I use UPS and ended up having to use my bank balance as PayPal payments kept messing up and I had multiple "pending" payments driving me crazy. They all vanished after a while. Maybe worth using the UPS Facebook chat to double check for your own piece of mind though.

19 hours ago, Floatylight said:

I still miss the meals at Turriff Academy from when I asked there (97-02), meals were bloody brilliant.  Like proper restaurant quality stuff.  I never understood why anyone would walk down the road to the chippy...school canteen was so much better.

Due to our income situation I got the food free, but even the normal prices were something like £3 for a main course, drink and dessert.

-- -- --

Oh joy.  This fault has returned.

IMG_20210113_162544.thumb.jpg.21ad5e9c8942fefb22b5ebc2e6928f8c.jpg

Time for a new alternator methinks.

Scumbag traveller has been back to my mother in law trying to scam her , she's 95 , he's knocked on telling her she owes him £60 for doing the trees 

This is at least the third time he's been over the last 2 years , all reported to the police , next door has got him on cctv so they've got a registration and pictures now 

They've agreed to let me link an old ring doorbell into their WiFi so hopefully if he comes back it'll either deter him or catch him trying to scam her 

The heating in my parents house has packed up entirely but an engineer cannot come until Monday to fix it.

So until then, my parents, both over 70, have to sit in a freezing cold house with only a blow heater. I have ample room to accommodate them but because of restrictions on travel and going into others houses, they cannot visit and just have to continue to freeze.

Frustrated and worried.

2 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

The heating in my parents house has packed up entirely but an engineer cannot come until Monday to fix it.

So until then, my parents, both over 70, have to sit in a freezing cold house with only a blow heater. I have ample room to accommodate them but because of restrictions on travel and going into others houses, they cannot visit and just have to continue to freeze.

Frustrated and worried.

Buy a couple of oil filled rads from b&q or argos. Get them around there pronto. 

10 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Frustrated and worried.

As said already , if you can get a couple of oil filled rads , order them from amazon for delivery tomorrow if you can't get out 

If they're anything like my dad when he was alive they'll be turning the fan off because its expensive 

Not expensive at screwfix

1003214434_Screenshot_20210113-202829_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.5a81081a1738af8ccad51c1ad9ac268b.jpg