The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Just now, cort1977 said:

I thought it was '10% + 2'?  So up to 79 on a motorway you're generally OK if the slightly optimistic speedo shows 80?

10% + 7 is 84mph.

+10%+2 is the start of conviction, +10%+9 is the limit for SAC.  So in a 70 limit you're OK* up to 78.  79 would be a speed awareness course.  87 would be the fastest for a SAC, 88 would take you back to the future into points/fine territory.

I was in a 60 limit doing 73, hence +10%+7.  75 would still have been SAC, 76 would be points.

Hence why I was doing less than 75. 

6 minutes ago, Talbot said:

+10%+2 is the start of conviction, +10%+9 is the limit for SAC.  So in a 70 limit you're OK* up to 78.  79 would be a speed awareness course.  87 would be the fastest for a SAC, 88 would take you back to the future into points/fine territory.

I was in a 60 limit doing 73, hence +10%+7.  75 would still have been SAC, 76 would be points.

Hence why I was doing less than 75. 

So you knew the speed you were doing would get you a SAC and yet you seem to be complaining you got a SAC.

I got one for doing 34 in a 30 a few years back, fair cop. Did it piss me off? Yes. Was it anyone elses fault? No.

1 minute ago, Craig the Princess said:

So you knew the speed you were doing would get you a SAC and yet you seem to be complaining you got a SAC.

I got one for doing 34 in a 30 a few years back, fair cop. Did it piss me off? Yes. Was it anyone elses fault? No.

No, I knew I would get a SAC and am not complaining about getting it.  My point is that the SAC itself was a steaming pile of shit.  I was at least hoping it would be active and useful driver training.  It wasn't.

7 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

The Forester's slightly sticky and temperamental remote locking key finally gave up on Boxing Day morning, failing to unlock the car even after careful cleaning and installation of a new battery. Looks like the microswitch has gone in it.

Not the grump.

The car only came with one key, as per usual in Autoshite territory, but early plans to simply buy a new spare key fell through as this car (an ex-Subaru UK demo car with a few features I'm told are very unusual) has a strange single-button key shell that no-one seems able to supply as a replacement, including the main dealer.

This may help: https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/862988-sigma-alarm-fob.html

1 hour ago, sdkrc said:

Spot my tyre tracks...

I did try turn and to brake but nope. Front left wheel now off-centre. 

BUY WINTER TYRES PEOPLE and don't drive big cats in the snow

IMG_20210108_162235.jpg

MVIMG_20210108_162251.jpg

Should have turned off the traction control and floored it - then it would be your back wheel which was out of alignment you would have drifted round the corner like a boss and everyone would have thought you were really cool.

I was "offered" a place on a Driver Awareness Course, but don't know what I had done. I just got a letter, stating that at a particular time on a particular date, and between two junctions of a motorway, I had performed careless riding. No idea what careless riding I had done to get this letter.

And the only way to find out was to attend court, and three weeks they would disclose details of the offence. Or I could plead guilty and take 3 points and a fine. Or attend a course at the price of £1 less than the fine would be.

Took the course, quite interesting as all it did was to let us look at our attitudes to other road users, and see how they saw us. 

59 minutes ago, Craig the Princess said:

On my SAC (for 33 in a 30) there was a guy on my table who was there for 75 on the m1. Said he's done tens of thousands of miles with the cruise set at 75 and he's only now been caught, reckoned it balanced out with the time saved etc. 

Sort of made sense, hope he knocked it down to 74!

Im still on 6 points (3 barely there I think now) so I drive like miss daisy if I'm unsure of the roads. On my 33 in a 30 I do still swear the speedo needle on the xantia was reading 30, but I'd never prove it and it just made me slap myself and pay attention. My blue laguna with a speed limiter was amazing, if I did actual miles I'd insist on it on a car over cruise control (but I guess they all come together now) 

I think the speed limiter is an "upgrade" to the cruise control. I dont think you get it without cruise, but you can definately get cruise without the speed limiter function. 

Speed limiter more useful in a 50 motorway section, as you are forever having to reduce your speed to 46 or 47, so it allows you to drive normally, but never go over 50. Whereas if you set the cruise to 50, you are forever, knocking it off and adjusting the speed and pressing resume. 

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

No, I knew I would get a SAC and am not complaining about getting it.  My point is that the SAC itself was a steaming pile of shit.  I was at least hoping it would be active and useful driver training.  It wasn't.

The one I did was useful.   I was the only smart arse who knew the speed limits, on NSL roads.  There was a bit of propaganda, but the guy was pragmatic. Look it's the law. If you want to go above the speed limit it's at your risk of getting points. But at least understand where it's foolish to try to drive at the speed limit.  The best bit was the hazard awareness video.  The road was a 60, but there were 2 or 3 points where you'd not want to do 40. 

The one thing I learnt, was that unless there are repeaters, it's either 30 or 60. Any other limit has repeater signs. And if you don't know the limit, you can sometimes guess as you go past a side road. So if the side road says 30, and the road you are on has no repeaters it's a 60. 

50 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

On my SAC (for 33 in a 30) there was a guy on my table who was there for 75 on the m1. Said he's done tens of thousands of miles with the cruise set at 75 and he's only now been caught, reckoned it balanced out with the time saved etc. 

Again, both of those are outside of  ACPO guidelines for action to be taken.  I do wonder what special/different circumstances were in force when those were put forward for action to be taken.

50 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

My blue laguna with a speed limiter was amazing, if I did actual miles I'd insist on it on a car over cruise control (but I guess they all come together now) 

Cruse and limit drive seem to go hand-in-hand these days.  I say "these days", my 23 year-old S210 has cruise and limit drive, and I use both all the time.

Also, you can fit cruise to your Xsara.  You just need the left-hand lower "stalk" that comes out of the steering column (mirror image of the radio controls one on the right) and then to enable it with Lexia.  The earlier XUD engines couldn't do it, but the DW10 ones can.

14 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Again, both of those are outside of  ACPO guidelines for action to be taken.  I do wonder what special/different circumstances were in force when those were put forward for action to be taken.

Cruse and limit drive seem to go hand-in-hand these days.  I say "these days", my 23 year-old S210 has cruise and limit drive, and I use both all the time.

Also, you can fit cruise to your Xsara.  You just need the left-hand lower "stalk" that comes out of the steering column (mirror image of the radio controls one on the right) and then to enable it with Lexia.  The earlier XUD engines couldn't do it, but the DW10 ones can.

Thames Valley police being perpetually skint is what makes the guidelines I think! 

I could fit the full 3 line mfd and have the ecu computer enabled too, along with a pickarsehole wiper stalk

All sounds fun but is pointless. I hate just cruise control, don't drive open roads enough. Radar cruise is OK-ish on the right roads, but it's going to be a while before I get that on a £200 whatever! 

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

My Rover 75 has a speed "limiter", but it doesn't actually limit your speed - all it does is flash up a big red warning on the dash display when you exceed the set speed.  So a bit pointless really.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

My Rover 75 has a speed "limiter", but it doesn't actually limit your speed - all it does is flash up a big red warning on the dash display when you exceed the set speed.  So a bit pointless really.

My old E36 had a speed limiter too. It was the same, just a beep over a certain speed.

You could set it at 220mph. Which was handy.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, New POD said:

I dont think you get it without cruise

You do sometimes, I rented a Fiesta  a couple of years ago that had a limiter but not cruise. You just kept your foot on the pedal gently, if you wanted to overtake you could push harder on the pedal and it'd let you speed up, then when you slowed down to the limiter setting and put your foot back on the pedal it resumed limiting you. Quite good really. 

3 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

My old E36 had a speed limiter too. It was the same, just a beep over a certain speed.

You could set it at 220mph. Which was handy.

spacer.png

You're right, the Rover beeps too.  Probably the same system, given how much BMW hardware there is behind the scenes in 75s.

Many are like that.  The one on the Merc 210 is both a normal cruise, and a settable speed limiter.  If your in limiter mode, it will hold you to the limit set, even changing down the gearbox for engine braking if you start rolling down a hill too quickly, which I thought was quite clever.  If you're in limiter mode and at the limit, if you press the accelerator down to the kickdown switch, the limiter disengages and allows you to accelerate.

The really useful bit is that if you've been on cruise on the motorway, then disengage it and go to limiter to go through some roadworks, when you get to the end of the roadworks and flick back to cruise, it still remembers the last speed setting, so you can just flick "resume" and it goes back to the motorway speed you had set before you used the limiter.

Today's grump:  Why oh why didn't I do the repair welding needed on said Merc when the weather was warmer??

I was in about mile 100 of owning my blue laguna and coming home on the m4. Cruise was set at 80, all was well. 

Coming onto the a43 and I paused it, got round the roundabout and (forgetting how bloody curvy it all is up there) hit resume... It took off back up to 80 and I shat myself! 

A good bit of fun once I was prepared was hitting resume to some silly speed from 25mph! Only works to its full fun in an auto though. Dad showed me the same in his ioniq and we lost about 40 miles of range in 1/4 a mile but fuck me was it more rapid than I've ever known that car

So far I’ve avoided ever being caught... I thought I might have been this week though, I’m which car? The 150bhp turbocharged one? No. The 2.3 litre one? No. The 2 seater sports car? No.... 

... the 2CV. 

Was bimbling along my route to work which is a 40 road, it’s fairly dead so I’m bombing at a ‘little’ above that, but there has been a pretty bad accident in there the day before (car managed to lose it on a die straight piece of road and crash into the used car lot annihilating a Nissan Almera) and crash scene investigators were on the scene, I saw the fluorescent jackets too late and their yellow camera thing... thankfully as I passed them (now doing the requisite 40) I realised it was one of those tripod mounted distance measures for the crash investigations. 

Phew... 

16 hours ago, High Jetter said:

You could avoid them by sticking to the limit...

You can also avoid them by being in Scotland :-)

Queen Nicola has decreed that there is no point in offering something that *may* contribute towards safety when a fine and points *will* contribute to the coffers.

Posted by a pissed off Cobra driver caught by camera van on bridge on a dry, empty motorway 2 miles north of the border for doing 81mph and whose points expire this year. In days of old* I would have been pulled and given a ticking off and maybe a fine but I would have known about it before continuing my journey that would have resulted in me being more aware. As it was, the first I knew was a fine in the post several weeks later (it arrived within 14 days but I didn't, I was on my way to France at the time).

17 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Couldn't agree more. I've had the misfortune to do two, both a complete waste of time and money. 

I'm a lot more careful these days, but if I do get caught by another sneaky scamera van I think I'll just take the points, as I really can't be arsed to go through that rigmarole again.

ive felt like this at times - the risk is that if you take the points then you wont have a clean license and depending on the rules you might not be able to do a SAC whilst those points are valid. Then you get caught somewhere else and you have 6 points, get caught again and it gets perilous and insurance expense climbs - on this basis alone i would do another one (i think this is how lots view them).

I am utterly pro education, but these courses arent the best. They used to be run be ex traffic plod and/or other expert drivers (ex examiners) with real road safety insight and complete honesty. The last one i did in 2014 or 15, during the Q&A we asked the 2 instructors what their background were, one was ex-health and safety wallah (career fear-monger), the other was some sort of ex itinerant salesman. No wonder they sounded bored (the same spiel day after day) and the content was boring.

Grumpy ? No, I'm fuckin livid. Parallel parked in town to get some essentials and when I got back my rear o/s lens was scattered all over the place. That's twice in the last six months this has happened. No note, of course. Bastards !! I had a spare one for last time but not now. If anyone knows where I can get one it would be seriously appreciated.  Needless to say I am well pissed off.

The perfectly reliable Merc decided to flash  an SRS light at my face.

To make matter worse, it's intermittent. Everytime you drop a passenger off, "SRS MALFUNCTION VISIT WORKSHOP" gets thrown at you. 

And everytime I search for a new passenger occupancy sensor, i get results for 2 or 3 sensors and a gazillion "emulators", i want a replacement sensor, not an emulator for pete's sake.