The grumpy thread

outlaw118

There are a lot of musicians that agree with you!  And I'm not trying to say that you can't be a musician without studying them, either - unlike some of the elitist twats out there.  I studied them as part of my degree but I was always crap at them.  It's how my dyslexia got picked up in the end.  Which I'd been masking for years and years without realising.

11 hours ago, cobblers said:

The story that a fiat 500 has a rare size of tyre and they just have one at an astronomical price that they were going to return is 100% complete bollocks, they've had your pants down big time man. He was probably leaning with his hand covering the tyre label of a suitable linglong £40 job while telling you that

A 500 has got to be one of the most popular cars on the road, even if its got alloys etc, there's no way any tyre is genuinely £200 unless it's a foot wide.

It was needs must, she can't be without her car and of course it cleverly comes without a spare wheel.

Not a Fiat 500, a Megane C+C.

She has no way of getting to work without it.  If it had happened at work she could have used one of their cars and had  someone up there do it.

Not sure now what the size was.

I never use those places now.  Buy Sailun tyres from Oponeo and the garage I use fits them.

National are absolute robbers (price wise) these days, amazed they're still in business to be honest.
Interestingly had the motorhome in for a pair of new front tyres this morning.

All booked and paid for.

Turn up and first thing was a complaint that it wouldn't fit in the bays.

Then muttering about his jack's only went up to 2.5 ton (which I don't believe)

Finally he couldn't find the torque settings for the wheels so couldn't fit them.

Came home with no new tyres and phoned up to cancel order.

Would not recommend.

15 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

You’re possibly listening to the wrong stations. 

I would say FIP from Radio France is the greatest station on the planet. It’s eclectic, engrossing, enriching and other things beginning with E. It’s stunning, and to my mind exactly what The BBC should be doing as a mixed effort between Radios 3 and 6. 

I don’t think anyone’s listening to Heart to feed their soul. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its place though. 

Maybe - but I can't say that I miss the adverts, the audio compression, the lack of agency on the playlist or the inane chatter of most DJs (and I'm not saying that's the case for you!).  I have a music collection that I could spend a lifetime picking over that spans a wide range (Balinese Gamelan is, sadly, underrepresented...) and I only usually bother listening to Radio 4 for the documentaries.

There absolutely is a place for commercial music radio, just not for me.

17 hours ago, sierraman said:

At work we’ve got a WhatsApp group, I’ve left it today because I’m absolutely sick to death of the constant news feed about what’s not working for someone or ‘how do I do this’. It’s boring and adds nothing to my life whatsoever, I’ve got WhatsApp to keep in touch with friends and family not a constant ticker of boring work updates. 

I have to have a work mobile, and I'll be fucked if I'm carting two handsets around so I put the work SIM in the second slot of my latest Chinese wonder phone. This is great, except for the reason you state - work WhatsApp, one group being compulsory... anyway the Xiaomi came up trumps. It has a feature called Dual Apps, where you can run separate instances of the same app for each phone number. So work WhatsApp doesn't turn up as a thread in mine, but in it's own separate instance of the app, where it gets muted and I can check it at my leisure (about once a month - just done it now and there were 335 posts 🤣). I've assigned different ring and text alert sounds to the work SIM, so these can also be ignored as required. Defo recommended.

22 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Have you got an F1 Auto Centre near you, @The Moog? They're usually very cheap and you can pre-order.

They fit Blackcircles tyres too as one's just opened up near me. I need to get the Legacy sorted for a couple of tyres and an alignment and they popped up as my nearest fitting place

Just postponed (again) my trip to France due to the closed borders - just have to hope there is not too much rain in my area of France until I get there. I have gone for mid January for now in the hope the border situation will have settled a bit by then, I can always move it either way. At least the insurance company have accepted I can do nothing about the work required as it is out of my control so will continue the insurance until I can get there.

Better unload the digger off the trailer then.....

1 hour ago, The Moog said:

Will have a look - I booked them as they had a slot.

It's not so much of a rush now, as not heading up to scotland.

I always use Bolton Road tyres (on bolton road would you have guessed, in Darwen) Really good guy always has very good part worns and cheapest around for new stuff aswell :)

Last time I was in a National Tyres in Glasgow the staff had their junkie mates in smoking weed in the workshop and they left huge oily footprints all over the car's pale grey carpets. 

They make Kwikfit look like a professional organisation.

Was he planning to lift the entire vehicle with one Jack?
Flip knows. When I opened bonnet to show the vin plate that showed front axle was under that then it was torque settings.

They were having a moan when the phone was ringing at 8:28 saying weren't open till 8:30.

There were also two customers who turned up just after me so they weren't exactly desperate for work, just one of those having to do it outside on jack's in the drizzle jobs they didn't want.

ATS have got them for same price and they are really sound in Accy.

Very much a First World Problem...but I am getting royally pissed off at the bug introduced in the last update to Spotify.

Whenever I press play now there's what seems to be about a 20% chance of the volume immediately jumping to 100%.  It's made me jump several times with headphones on over the last few days.

This afternoon however it did the same thing when I was hooked up to the stereo - all 350W RMS of it.

I reckon I levitated a good two feet off the ground - as did the sofa, armchair, both dogs and it felt like the foundations of the house.  It's astonishing how long it took me to find the volume control when that happened (phone was launched into low earth orbit so it was well out of reach).

Absolutely scared the living daylights of me.  Was leaning on one of the speakers...one of these buggers...

(The ones to the left...the one on the right is a Pioneer CS-585 and basically a standard classic hi-fi speaker size)

IMG_20201222_235343.thumb.jpg.38d25ee212207f8b8000e166eac114f4.jpg

A: Scared the living daylights out of me.

B: Honestly felt like I'd had the wind knocked out of me.

😄 Um...that was meant to say C and a colon...but the stupid fscking editor has made it into a stupid bloody smily thing which I now can't delete apparently.  Yeah...C - Virtually everything in here that was just leaning against the walls (this room is a bit of a dumping ground) ended up on the floor.

My ears have just about stopped ringing now.

Yeah...if they could fix that bloody bug I'd be most grateful.

I've had words with the rest of the family about leaving the master volume on the stereo in there that high too...

29 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

C: Virtually everything in here that was just leaning against the walls (this room is a bit of a dumping ground) ended up on the floor

fixed that for you :) 

I find when the stupid editor turns something into a smily when you dont want it to, if you delete the smily then type the thing again it normally gets the message you dont want it to be a smily

as for actually deleting said smily you need to hit backspace about 3 times before the because when you hit backspace the first time, theres a hidden space that gets nuked, then when you hit it a 2nd time, it for some bazar reason just highlights it in a blue box, then 3rd times a charm and normally nukes it

(sometimes it will still auto convert the moment you hit post but going into edit and nuking it again normally does the trick)

although im doing this from luxury of an actual computer, not tested it on a mobile device

Im pretty sure this auto emoji thing has something to do with the text eating bug too, as I noticed the moment the bug is primed, smileys stop auto converting...

(PS the laughing reaction is for your amusing description of the events :) )

31 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

fixed that for you :) 

I find when the stupid editor turns something into a smily when you dont want it to, if you delete the smily then type the thing again it normally gets the message you dont want it to be a smily

as for actually deleting said smily you need to hit backspace about 3 times before the because when you hit backspace the first time, theres a hidden space that gets nuked, then when you hit it a 2nd time, it for some bazar reason just highlights it in a blue box, then 3rd times a charm and normally nukes it

(sometimes it will still auto convert the moment you hit post but going into edit and nuking it again normally does the trick)

although im doing this from luxury of an actual computer, not tested it on a mobile device

Im pretty sure this auto emoji thing has something to do with the text eating bug too, as I noticed the moment the bug is primed, smileys stop auto converting...

(PS the laughing reaction is for your amusing description of the events :) )

Yeah, that works on desktop...not a chance on mobile.  I can delete text either side of it but not the thing itself.  Highlighted or otherwise it's apparently indelible.  I can move it up or down and around the page by manipulating the text around it, but not delete it.  I've even tried selecting and cutting it but it gets copied rather than cut.

On 8/20/2008 at 12:40 PM, Milford Cubicle said:

Selfish drivers who wait until they're practically past you before dipping their headlights. :evil:

And those who dip their lights until they're right just in front of you then on full beam in your face.

And those who's headlights just dazzle you no matter if they are on dip or not.

5 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

And those who dip their lights until they're right just in front of you then on full beam in your face.

Try driving around in an E36 (other small 1990s saloon cars are available).

I was out in it yesterday and just about everything else has its headlights at my eye level. Even on dipped they still dazzle me!

I'm grumpy with myself.

I saw two towbars for my Mondeo on the eBay so knowing that I am very able to mis read words or mis understand words, not sure which, I very carefully went to order the one from the hatchback which I have and not the one from the estate, which i don't have.

So that's what I did. I very carefully ordered the one for the estate. Because I know I can get these this muddled up.

You see my error?

Now I have to drill new bolt holes next to old bolt holes, not ideal.

2 hours ago, Tim_E said:

When driving to work at 5:45AM in the last couple of days, more people didn't dip their headlights at all, than actually dipping them when they saw me. Seeing what's ahead of you in pitch darkness is overrated anyway...

16 hours ago, MikeR said:

They need a warning about unexpected erections for when Princess Aura is on the screen. Christ, she was fit. Who after watching that film thought 'Yeah, that bird who played Dale Arden was a bit of alright'. 

Answer, nobody. They were all thinking of Ornella Muti tied down on that table in that tight red outfit.

5 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

I'm aware I feature highly on the wanky-cunt scale.

But, people with 4D number plates and anyone who uses the term 4D number plate,

Am I allowed to wallop them in the head with a lump hammer?

I honestly thought I was the only one that thought that.

They dont look right and when dark cannot really see them properly.